Menu

Noise level in campus library

xixstar

What is an acceptable volume in a [eta: small community college] campus library?

I am driving my oldest to campus and one day a week it makes more sense to stay and wait for them instead of driving home. I would like to do our lessons while we wait.

The library has a kids book section with a kids rug on the floor but I would not call it a kids area. There are several individual desks (the kind with privacy dividers) in that area and a table with 3 chairs that would be perfect for us.

This area is separated a bit from the rest of the library and was where I was hoping to work. However I feel like we may be bothersome to studying students if any chose to sit in the nearby individual desks.

I would be reading aloud and there would be our normal-volume talking as we work. My 4yo also has a distinct volume that is often louder than I like and carries a bit.

This library is super quiet. There are other group study areas but I feel we would be disruptive there. There is no student union area or other area on campus that seems like a good choice either as this is just a rural community college. I would never even ask it wonder except this campus is so quiet each time I visit. :)

Eta: we are not lacking for other options, I am simply discussing this option. I will admit it is my love of libraries that made me wonder. But I don't think it is going to work out.

Personally, I *hate* it when people are loud or engaged in an ongoing conversation of some sort at the library. Libraries are for reading or study.

In your shoes, I would do one of two things. Either I would plan quiet work for our time at the library, or I would plan to work in the car and only use the library as a potty stop or quiet reading place. With lapdesks and some snacks, the car's not so bad. I've done it many a time with my kids.

At our university normal conversation volume would be too loud. Does your library have separate small study rooms? Ours does. The ones I used to use has a chalkboard in them and they were great for getting together as a group to work on projects and study together at a normal volume.

There are two private group study rooms but I am not comfortable using those as students may need them. There are no other student areas on campus. I believe, as this is a community college with somewhat limited facilities , at least compared to the university I attended.

Eta: I am thinking that it will not be an acceptable option as I had hoped. We can always travel further in town to the community library, was just hoping to save some driving if it was going to work.

I wouldn't try to do reading out loud at a campus library. The library at the cc near me is super quiet. They do have a common area outside the library where one could sit and talk.

What's near the campus. There may be a community library nearby. Sometimes when I have to hang out for one of my dc, I pull up google maps and look at the businesses around the location. You never know what you will find a couple streets over not in a direction you considered.

Some campus libraries have nooks that are usually empty and you might be able to take over, especially during the day. The library where I went to college had an archived stacks, for example that was always dead, and a special collections area where everything was quiet and empty.

But it depends on the culture and layout of the library. I'd try it and see how you do and gauge how it went. You can always pack up and leave if needed.

That would be disruptive at our campus library. 

It is possible that the study rooms don't fill up often. I would possibly try - if people check for occupancy routinely, I'd stop using it. 

Alternately, is there a covered outside area in front of the library, maybe with benches? Or can you just bring a picnic blanket? 

There are two private group study rooms but I am not comfortable using those as students may need them. There are no other student areas on campus. I believe, as this is a community college with somewhat limited facilities , at least compared to the university I attended.

Eta: I am thinking that it will not be an acceptable option as I had hoped. We can always travel further in town to the community library, was just hoping to save some driving if it was going to work.

I would ask about the study rooms.  You can always tell the librarian that if a student group needs the room, you'll be happy to vacate it.  

Lacking that, perhaps a cafeteria, cafe, lounge, etc. will do.  We've done school in many a coffee shop over the years.  I like the kind that has large communal tables; they are nice for spreading out if there are few customers.  

At Dh's library study rooms are signed out to grad students and professors on a yearly basis. Even the study carrels  are assigned. And woe be it to anyone who uses a carrel that isn't theirs.

And, from my personal experience, even if there is a more public area you might not want to be there with young kids. I take my kids up to one of the local universities that has a music school and my kids get music lessons. I wait for them in the student lounge area, sometimes with a kid who is waiting for a lesson. It is NOT a place I want to have my younger kid. It is young adult space. They are there to eat lunch and relax between classes and there is lots of adult language and watching of NSFW but funny videos on phones etc, discussing what happened over the weekend, etc. Nothing I would even think twice about if my elementary aged kid wasn't with me but sometimes it is a little bit much. Meanwhile, my kid is there doing his math and his eyes are as big as saucers.

At DS18's university, they have a Not Quiet floor. It is posted with signs and has lots of tables and group meeting areas. Some place like that might work except for the adult conversation. You might ask if there is something similar in that library. I have often taken DD with me to our local uni library but we stay in the lobby area where talking is encouraged.

I worked in my campus library for 3 years, and I'm wracking my brain to try to remember ever seeing a child in there. There were designated group study areas near the reference area and in the cafeteria/snack room.

I grew up on the same street as the university's library.  From the age of about 10 to 14 I was there daily during the week reading and using the computers.  My mom worked in another campus building across the street from the library.  I certainly saw other kids there with a parent but it wasn't a usual occurrence.  I was the odd one in the library.

I grew up on the same street as the university's library.  From the age of about 10 to 14 I was there daily during the week reading and using the computers.  My mom worked in another campus building across the street from the library.  I certainly saw other kids there with a parent but it wasn't a usual occurrence.  I was the odd one in the library.

Local state university in our town does not allow anyone under 18 unaccompanied inside campus buildings unless they are enrolled as a student (usually dual enrollment status).

I assume that you, yourself are not a student here -- I'm curious if non-students are even allowed to be in the library?  I know when I went to school, only students were allowed in the libraries, though only the bigger libraries on campus actually checked everyone's ID on entry.  I suspect even at the smaller libraries, staff might ask to see ID if they found someone doing suspiciously non-student-like activities, such as reading to one's child.

I would investigate other, public places on campus.  Maybe there's a cafeteria that is relatively quiet at that time?

I've taken DD to the law library to study, but always in a study room behind a closed door.

That library had collaborative study areas where quiet conversation is ok, and silent study areas.

From what you describe, I'd go with it. If anyone is already at those desks, ask them if it will bother them. If not, you're there first so they'll be forewarned before sitting there.

1) Ask about a study room.  You may (or may not) be taking it from a study group, but the 30 students studying on their own will thank you. 

Do you need to "check out" the study room?  Some of the college libraries do not lock their study room doors.  You pick an unoccupied room, and if someone comes in and says, "We have the room reserved for the next hour," then you graciously vacate it.  Talk to the librarian and see if there is any reasonable agreement you can come to (where if a student group needs the room, they can kick you out).

2) Find a student lounge.  If it is a university, there should be one in nearly every building.  Be unafraid to look for student lounges on different floors (one building has a lounge on EVERY floor).   The upper floors would, of course, have less traffic/use).  My children are regularly (more than 2x/week) on campus and interacting with students in passing.  We have never had any issues with videos, adult discussions, or other "inappropriate" behavior.  Our students aren't perfect, but the ones we have interacted with are pretty fabulous!

3) Look for a smaller branch library on your campus.  Our local university is at peak student population of 34K students.  We have the main library, but I have also used the STEM library (hidden upstairs between Chem and Physics buildings) for studying, and the Biochem/Biophysics Reading Room (one room with two big tables in it and a bunch of periodicals) to study.  I know there is a Reading Room in the Journalism building, too.  There have got to be other study rooms sprinkled around campus.  Be brave and be gracious when looking into nooks and crannies.

4) Find an empty classroom.  Some times of day, this is easier than others.  Midday -- not likely.  After 3pm...totally possible.

5) At least one of the churches across the street from the university has a student lounge that is "open to the public" (as long as you aren't tearing up the place).  We study there when dd3 is in preschool in the same building.  Midmorning, all the students are in class, so we have the run of the place.  One student did come in and take a catnap on the couch this morning, but he's the only one we've seen.  The church community have opened their arms to us (pastors, members, employees) and made us feel very welcome.

6) Befriend the janitors.  If there is an empty study space to be found, this is the person who will know about it.  Humbly and earnestly explain your situation.  If there is someone else besides the janitor you need to talk to about it, this is the person who can tell you where to find that person.  This is the person with keys to locked classrooms and knowledge of what is possible.  The ones I have dealt with are more decent than the average person you meet and will bend over backward to help you.

And remember: You are out very little to ask questions.  You can ASK anything.  This doesn't mean you are entitled, but you can ASK.

4) Find an empty classroom.  Some times of day, this is easier than others.  Midday -- not likely.  After 3pm...totally possible.

Depending on the school there may not actually be empty classrooms for the simple fact that they're always locked. At the local U they keep the classrooms locked when not in use and even when there is class going on the teachers/profs will only leave the door propped open a few minutes at the beginning (and end) of class then close it, at which point the door will lock. Doors aren't left in an unlocked position at that school.

Is there an education school? The college here, my undergrad school, and my grad school all had education resource rooms that contained textbooks, manipulatives, resource books, etc for check out for kids doing internships and practicums, and those aren't used for student study space. Furthermore, no one is likely to complain about a parent reading aloud to a young child there (you're more likely to get a college student wanting your DS to try out the new math game she just made). Education also tends to have more older students who DO have kids, and who sometimes have to bring their kids to campus, so it's fairly common to see them there.

I assume that you, yourself are not a student here -- I'm curious if non-students are even allowed to be in the library?  I know when I went to school, only students were allowed in the libraries, though only the bigger libraries on campus actually checked everyone's ID on entry.  I suspect even at the smaller libraries, staff might ask to see ID if they found someone doing suspiciously non-student-like activities, such as reading to one's child.

I would investigate other, public places on campus.  Maybe there's a cafeteria that is relatively quiet at that time?

Both of the universities I attended allowed and encouraged non-students to use the libraries.  They could even check out books.

I agree with the pps though that it would be better to do homeschool stuff in the cafeteria or something, thouh.

duckens, on 17 Sept 2014 - 11:26 PM, said:snapback.png

Depending on the school there may not actually be empty classrooms for the simple fact that they're always locked. At the local U they keep the classrooms locked when not in use and even when there is class going on the teachers/profs will only leave the door propped open a few minutes at the beginning (and end) of class then close it, at which point the door will lock. Doors aren't left in an unlocked position at that school.

A good point...which is why you befriend the janitor.  He/She has the "keys to the kingdom."  Even the department chair doesn't have that much power.