Menu

Has anyone EVER seen a prepackaged communion?

KungFuPanda

I looked at the manufacturer's site, and these come in "grape juice or wine," and "square wafer or round."  

The wine is marketed as being "sacred" but how it is made sacred is not known.  And I doubt that any *sacramental* church would use pre-packaged communion, so why does it matter if the wine is sacred?  If one does not believe that the communion is sacramental, then would it not be a little odd to care that the wine was sacred?  

I read the website of a non-denominational enormous church and it said something like this:  "If you feel the need for communion, please go to the table at the back of the worship center and help yourself to communion."  Maybe they use these packs.  

ETA:  I may be mistaken about the square wafers or round being offered by this same vendor.  There were a couple of sites and I might have conflated their offerings. 

Our town has a community church service at the High school football stadium every Labor day Sunday and several different churches participate...they use these for communion....much easier to hand out as people enter the stadium than to pass trays or have people come forward to take communion

We had these at my undergraduate institution-that-shall-not-be-named.

I really hated them. Very vivid memory: Ed Dobson (no relation to James), a man I respected and still respect, chewing out the assembled student body for, after popping and sipping, then crunching the cups underfoot in a sort of percussion chorus at the end of the service...

I get his point, but the vessel lent itself to that sort of behavior.

SWB (clearly at loose ends tonight)

I read the website of a non-denominational enormous church and it said something like this:  "If you feel the need for communion, please go to the table at the back of the worship center and help yourself to communion."  Maybe they use these packs.  

:confused:       If this is an option, ripe for being executed virtually incognito, then any possible meaning of "communion" is eviscerated. 

:confused:       If this is an option, ripe for being executed virtually incognito, then any possible meaning of "communion" is eviscerated. 

Ding ding ding.  

Words mean things.  

I thought it was the transubstantiation that got rid of all the cooties, but what do I know?  

:p

The question would be whether the cooties were of the substance, or merely accidents, of the species of bread and wine. I believe St Thomas Aquinas, in his definitive and highly relevant treatise De cootibus packetii plasticii, held for the latter opinion.

Our church uses them.  Greeters or older students stand in the hallways with small baskets full for people can grab as they enter into the sanctuary.  With 200-300 people per service, it drastically reduced the overall communion time compared to passing around traditional trays or walking to the front alter in a large church.  Afterward, the ushers go down the aisles with buckets to collect the trash.

I've seen similar things packaged for chaplains to use with deployed military members out in the field.

I can't think of how this would work with Catholic and Orthodox military. You can't just do this. It's not as lax or "simply symbolic" to those of us that consider it an actual sacrament. It MUST be handled in a certain way (Mass or Liturgy) and, at least for the EO, MUST be completely consumed after...not packaged and shipped out.

I can't think of how this would work with Catholic and Orthodox military. You can't just do this. It's not as lax or "simply symbolic" to those of us that consider it an actual sacrament. It MUST be handled in a certain way (Mass or Liturgy) and, at least for the EO, MUST be completely consumed after...not packaged and shipped out.

Can they be blessed by a Catholic chaplain after they are opened? I am asking because I don't know how it works for the EO. Or are all of your communion wafers made at the church or something? There are chaplains in the field.

Can they be blessed by a Catholic chaplain after they are opened? I am asking because I don't know how it works for the EO. Or are all of your communion wafers made at the church or something? There are chaplains in the field.

I think the catholic directions on the package are "Open, Bless, Consume" and the juicy juice ones must read "Open and Consume." #truefactsijustmadeup

Or are all of your communion wafers made at the church or something?

Communion is prepared during the Liturgy itself, using a special bread.  We don't have wafers in the way the RCC does.  The bread is soaked in the wine, not distributed separately:

http://orthodoxwiki.org/Prosphora

I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing that communion served in the field would be prepared ahead of time ("presanctified") during a liturgy and then set aside for this purpose.  

LOL. Not mine!

Good gracious! Can't you just see Fr. A's face? He might fall down in a dead faint.

The question would be whether the cooties were of the substance, or merely accidents, of the species of bread and wine. I believe St Thomas Aquinas, in his definitive and highly relevant treatise De cootibus packetii plasticii, held for the latter opinion.

I've often thought that the Summa was grossly over-rated.   :smilielol5:

Our church uses them.  Greeters or older students stand in the hallways with small baskets full for people can grab as they enter into the sanctuary.  With 200-300 people per service, it drastically reduced the overall communion time compared to passing around traditional trays or walking to the front alter in a large church.  Afterward, the ushers go down the aisles with buckets to collect the trash.

I…uh…ah…yes... In my church this is when the choir pours forth its musical soul in longer works and, when the voices tire, the parishioners learn the liturgical value of silence.  

Communion is prepared during the Liturgy itself, using a special bread. We don't have wafers in the way the RCC does. The bread is soaked in the wine, not distributed separately:

Interesting. I know that chaplains have carried various types of communions kits over the years in various configurations. One chaplain we knew carried wafers in a smoke grenade container.

We use them in our non-denominational church, which had several services with 500-1000 people. We'd be there all day if we walked to the front or passed a plate. A friend calls them "communion Lunchables".

:lol: to "communion lunchables". It doesn't take as long as you might think for everyone to go to the front for communion, though. My childhood church had 500-1000 or more people per service. They put some thought into logistics and we could have an unrushed-feeling go-to-the-front-and-kneel-at-the-rail communion that was faster with 1,000 people than another church with 100-150 people. I'll grant you it does still take 10 min or so (which is normal to me), but there's a lot you can do to eliminate dead time without taking away from the reverence.

Communion is prepared during the Liturgy itself, using a special bread.  We don't have wafers in the way the RCC does.  The bread is soaked in the wine, not distributed separately:

I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing that communion served in the field would be prepared ahead of time ("presanctified") during a liturgy and then set aside for this purpose.  

Also, the communion wine must be completely consumed after. Yes, there is presanctified, but even that I don't believe would allow for packaging and handing out. Also, I don't believe our men can take communion from just any chaplain. One of my former priests is a chaplain; I would have to ask him how this works.

I am wondering if we have any EO chaplains. I know that there is always a shortage of Catholic chaplains. Does the special handling need to be managed by an EO priest, specifically?

Yes, I could not imagine any EO taking communion of any chaplain other than an EO chaplain. I would think that they would simply refrain until such a time that they have access to an EO priest and attend a liturgy. One of my former priests is a chaplain for the military in his area. I would have to message him and ask him about EO troops in the field. I don't know the answers for certain. I know that even living a distance from any parish, I cannot just pop into an RC parish and take communion (okay, on the RC end, I have been told that they would permit us to partake, but from our end, we cannot partake).

Also, the communion wine must be completely consumed after. Yes, there is presanctified, but even that I don't believe would allow for packaging and handing out. Also, I don't believe our men can take communion from just any chaplain. One of my former priests is a chaplain; I would have to ask him how this works.

How often is it typical to take communion among the EO? Maybe there are enough traveling chaplains in theater to manage it?

I've mostly seen them used for homebound or hospital bound patients asking clergy for communion.

Stefanie

Interesting. I'd never heard of these before - my dh (a Lutheran pastor) has a small communion case that holds a small container of wine and wafers and some small cups, and that's pretty standard in our denomination. (They are unconsecrated - he consecrates them when he gives communion.)

How often is it typical to take communion among the EO? Maybe there are enough traveling chaplains in theater to manage it?

Communion is offered EVERY Liturgy. EVERY Sunday and sometimes even during other days. As to how often one partakes, it depends upon the person. One is supposed to prepare. If one has not been to communion in some time, then one refrains. Some jurisdictions require you to confess at least every one to two months and others have no restrictions on how often, but if it's been some time, then one naturally refrains from the Eucharist. Many, particularly children, will commune every Sunday or every opportunity available.