Menu

Unimportant Marine creature Poll

jewellsmommy

Sea Star or Starfish?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Do you teach Sea Star or Satrfish?

• Sea Star
    • Starfish
    • other or the "I just want to be difficult" option :)
    • either, neither, don't much care which

This is fascinating to me. I never cared for the reasoning behind why there was a movement to use sea star over starfish, but I thought it was more universal than this. I am surprised that some have not even heard the term. Perhaps we should just call them star shaped echinoderms? Hmmm... :lol: 

The subject doesn't come up much when you're landlocked. I call them starfish and don't see or hear sea star much. I also say buffalo instead of bison even though I know that's not technically correct either.

This. Right down to being landlocked and calling them buffalo (sometimes boofaloos for fun)

I've always know them as starfish. I used it in swimming lessons as an instructor as the title of a float with arms and legs outstretched. I also used it for the marine creature, but I'll claim ignorance because I grew up on the prairies. We did go to the west coast every summer and I even found some starfish in the tide pools once. I gather that Sea Star is the correct term. I'll try to use that in the future.