Menu

curious...do different religions teach tithing?

solascriptura

Mine doesn't teach anything at all, since I have a DIY religion. Islam does and they call it zakat. My brother's hijabi friend and her posse are hugely into social activism and do care packages for the homeless in our city as well as charity events for their countries of origin. I don't know whether all that is considered zakat or if it is a different category of giving.

Just curious... it came to my attention that the RC church does not teach tithing.  I was surprised because I recall a childhood RC friend telling me otherwise.  So, what does your faith teach on the subject of tithing/giving/alms?

????  Where did you learn that the Catholic Church doesn't teach tithing?  I'm looking at a registration form for my family's parish, and it says very clearly 'Committed to biblical tithing of 5% of gross income to the parish, 1% to the diocesan appeal and 4% to other charities.  I made a mistake in my previous post with the breakdown.

When you speak of tithing, do you mean something different?

In Islam, zakat is 2.5% of what one has held for over a year in terms of savings, excessive gold/silver, stocks, etc.  There's a minimum amount equal to I want to say the value of 3 oz. of gold that one does not pay this on.

There are set categories on whom this money should be given to, for example, orphans/widows.  One issue that US mosques face, is that a lot of Muslims like to give this money to people in lower-income/developing Muslim countries abroad, because they feel it will go further.  (When I was a Christian, I always tithed to my local church.)

Sadaqah is normal charity… there are different types, but one of the most popular is a charity that will live beyond one's life…such as building a school or mosque, digging a well, etc.  The theory is that one would continue to rack up good deeds, even after one has died.

Growing up Presbyterian, I don't remember hearing much about tithing. (This was in the North.)  People often wrote a check, or put a $20 in the offering envelope, but I doubt very many gave 10% of their income.  First time I ever heard about that as being actually done was in a Pentecostal Church.  About once/year, they'd do a series of sermons on tithing… a little bit prosperity gospel-type oriented.

???? Where did you learn that the Catholic Church doesn't teach tithing? I'm looking at a registration form for my family's parish, and it says very clearly 'Committed to biblical tithing of 5% of gross income to the parish, 1% to the diocesan appeal and 4% to other charities. I made a mistake in my previous post with the breakdown.

That requirement should not be on any Catholic Church registration because it goes against the Church's teaching that a person give according to their ability since not all could give 5%

Sadaqah is normal charity… there are different types, but one of the most popular is a charity that will live beyond one's life…such as building a school or mosque, digging a well, etc.  The theory is that one would continue to rack up good deeds, even after one has died.

So the hijabi posse is doing sadaqah?

That requirement should not be on any Catholic Church registration because it goes against the Church's teaching that a person give according to their ability since not all could give 5%

Could you show me the official church teaching on tithing?  I'd be very interested.  

I think it's understood that people give what they can, but that the goal is 10%.  This parish has been in the process of becoming a stewardship parish for the last six years, and it has not been a smooth, successful process.  I know of several families that have left over it. My dh has been quite upset a few times at the way it has been pushed.  Lots of other things going on but they aren't pertinent to this thread.

So the hijabi posse is doing sadaqah?

LOL. Love the hijabi posse. :)  Yup.  Sadaqah can be super easy, though.  There's a hadith (saying/tradition of Prophet Muhammad) that even a smile is sadaqah.

There seems to be this category of super active Muslim women (usually in my experience) who are involved in everything.  They are always holding a fundraiser, organizing something.  I am not one of those women. :)

Could you show me the official church teaching on tithing? I'd be very interested.

I think it's understood that people give what they can, but that the goal is 10%. This parish has been in the process of becoming a stewardship parish for the last six years, and it has not been a smooth, successful process. I know of several families that have left over it. My dh has been quite upset a few times at the way it has been pushed. Lots of other things going on but they aren't pertinent to this thread.

Can't copy and paste easily on my tablet but it is the 5th precept of the church. I believe it is number 2043 in the catechism of the catholic church

Raised LDS, now attending non-denom Christian Church. Both teach 10% tithe to the church.

I've heard that the LDS church is rather strict on tithing…that they check, and one has to be tithing to get a temple recommend.  Is that true? (As far as I know, they're the only church/denomination that verifies if their patrons give.)

The RC church required to "provide for the needs of the Church" according to their ability. That can be any amount you feel you can afford, be it 0%, 10%, or something else.

I read this somewhere online.  My friend from childhood mentioned that their RC diocese (?) required a certain amount of giving in order to remain in good standing.  I'm hoping that I understood this wrong or that she understood this wrong. 

As a presbyterian, the church does teach tithing, but does not check nor does it consider you in bad standing for not giving.  I guess the sense is that they do the teaching and leave the practical application up to one's conscience. 

????  Where did you learn that the Catholic Church doesn't teach tithing?  I'm looking at a registration form for my family's parish, and it says very clearly 'Committed to biblical tithing of 5% of gross income to the parish, 1% to the diocesan appeal and 4% to other charities.  I made a mistake in my previous post with the breakdown.

For me, tithing means 10% of gross income.   I realize that tithing means different things for different people.  Considering all the different denominations, i'm sure that there are many variations as well.

I read this somewhere online. My friend from childhood mentioned that their RC diocese (?) required a certain amount of giving in order to remain in good standing. I'm hoping that I understood this wrong or that she understood this wrong.

As a presbyterian, the church does teach tithing, but does not check nor does it consider you in bad standing for not giving. I guess the sense is that they do the teaching and leave the practical application up to one's conscience.

I've never heard of a Catholic Church in my area to consider one in bad standing if they don't put a certain amount in the offering but I do some presbyterian churches in the area that will pester and hold it against a person if they don't tithe. So I imagine it happens in catholic parishes as well. But that would be the parish leaders straying from official church teaching which would need to be brought to the attention of the bishop of that diocese.

My BIL is B'ahai (sp?) and they do a certain percentage of charitable giving, though not to a church. 

I think of "tithing" in the context of "10% to the local church", and other charitable giving being above and beyond the tithe.  (I'm a recovering ATI student, if that smacks of legalism to anybody.) 

I've heard that the LDS church is rather strict on tithing…that they check, and one has to be tithing to get a temple recommend.  Is that true? (As far as I know, they're the only church/denomination that verifies if their patrons give.)

LDS members are asked in a private, yearly meeting with their bishop to declare themselves either full or partial tithe payers, but no one is checking income beyond that. It is not required to attend this meeting, either, if one chooses not to. It's called "tithing settlement." In the process of receiving a temple recommend, an LDS member is asked whether he or she is a full tithe payer as well. You do have to pay a full tithe to receive a temple recommend, as far as I know. 

I'm LDS and we are full tithe payers and have temple recommends.

The RC church required to "provide for the needs of the Church" according to their ability. That can be any amount you feel you can afford, be it 0%, 10%, or something else.

I agree.  The Catholic churches I grew up in did not require any specific percentage or dollar amount, but kept everyone informed of needs and desires (not just of the parish and diocese, but of schools, organizations, and families in need -- families' identities were not broadcast).  They nearly always got whatever they asked for, since people knew where the money was going.

My parents never taught giving a specific amount.  They always taught giving what you could afford, and acknowledged that that amount could and would fluctuate.  We always tried to give more during holiday times and winter, when help tended to be needed more.

We're Eastern Orthodox and I've never heard a tithe mentioned in a homily. I've heard our priest say privately to some that a 10% tithe is something one should do if they can, with any other giving -- ie, to other charities or to the building fund -- to be over and above that.  A lot of things like this, in Orthodoxy, come about more by personal counsel from the priest or bishop than from official church doctrine/teaching, in my (admittedly limited!) experience. 

What does "increase" mean? did you mean income?

Our scripture says "increase". But yes, 10% of income in layman's terms :). Whether this is on net or gross or other small nuances is left up to the individual member. We are simply asked to declare whether we are full tithe payers or not. Nobody checks records or verifies anything. You are required to pay a full tithe to hold a temple recommend (along with several other requirements).

We are non-denominational conservative, charismatic Christians. We tithe 10% as it mentions in the Bible. :)

Yes, the Bible mentions it in the Old Testament , but it was for the Jews only. It was an Old Covenant arrangement God had with Israel.

I personally wouldn't step into a Church that teaches that it's for us Christians, as it's just plain wrong to do so.

But *giving* is for us Christians. :001_smile:

increase covers more territory than income.  income can be a paycheck from an employer, but it can also be return on investments. an increase in livestock or crops.  income comes in many forms depending upon ones livelihood.  the world is a big place, and different areas have different means of 'income'.

What does "increase" mean?  did you mean income?

we have tithing settlement at the end of the tax year.  you get a statement of tithes and any other offerings paid so you have them for preparing your year's tax returns. 

we meet with our bishop, and declare if we are full tithe payers or not. that's as much checking as is done.  ultimately, whether someone pays a full tithe or not is between them and the Lord.   tithing settlement is mostly a chance to say, hi, how are you, what's new. (or as much as possible in about 10 minutes before the next family comes in.)

full tithe is required for a temple recommend. there are a series of questions for a temple recommend, tithing is merely one.  it's one small measure of commitment as we are supposed to take the temple seriously.  anyone is welcome to come to church (whether they pay tithing or not, live the word of wisdom or not, etc.), but the temple is different.  I love going to the temple.  it's very uplifting.

The Catholic Church where I registered 15 years ago asked for what percentage I would commit and for my annual salary. It was not a required 10%.

I didn't put down any numbers. A couple of weeks later, two members showed up at my house asking for those numbers.

Yes, the Bible mentions it in the Old Testament , but it was for the Jews only. It was an Old Covenant arrangement God had with Israel.

I personally wouldn't step into a Church that teaches that it's for us Christians, as it's just plain wrong to do so.

But *giving* is for us Christians. :001_smile:

I agree.

Many/most religions today would have a tithing requirement because most religions are based on doing good works. Tithing is a good work that can be easily observable, especially if the church organisation is requiring knowledge about what their people are giving. Some churches set up an automatic deduction to come out of accounts on a regular basis.

Interesting question to ask solascripture, I'll be following this thread.

A church that I once attended years ago, (an independant Baptist church in Australia), simply had a box at the back of the church that a person could pop an envelope of money in annoymously if they were led to. There was no collection during the service. I liked that set-up.

A church that I once attended years ago, (an independant Baptist church in Australia), simply had a box at the back of the church that a person could pop an envelope of money in annoymously if they were led to. There was no collection during the service. I liked that set-up.

Our church is like that, too. I did some more research into Orthodoxy and tithing and apparently there are some teachings from early church fathers that encourage Christians to not think about tithing per se, but about giving all of one's self to the gospel...(the next part is me, not ECF's) financial giving would thus probably work out to MORE than a tithe.  Sometimes I feel like the non-tithe set uses the doctrine of no tithing to give less when in reality we should probably be giving more (total opinion not based on anything in this thread or anyone here; more based on personal experience!).  But all of it could/should be in in relationship with the priest.  He will know individual situations and will be able to wisely guide one in this matter. 

Sounds like my kind of Church! :-D

I hate the manipulation and pressure of the passing of the bag under your nose in most Churches.

I'm a member of the church of Christ. Our fellowship uses these scriptures to teach about giving:

1 Corinthians 16:1-2

"Now about the collection for the Lord’s people: Do what I told the Galatian churches to do. 2 On the first day of every week, each one of you should set aside a sum of money in keeping with your income, saving it up, so that when I come no collections will have to be made."

2 Corinthians 9:6-7

"6 Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously. 7 Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. "

Lana

I was raised RC and don't remember anything specific about tithing, just that we were to give of our ability.  The Pentecostal and non-denom churches we've most recently attended both teach tithing as 10% of your income.

Our personal research and understanding of the Bible led us to the understanding that people of Biblical times tithed crops and animals.  Cash or other valuables were given only as special offerings.     As such, we give frequent offerings as we feel spiritually led to do so, tithe on any sales of our meager gardening efforts, and willingly donate our time and material resources to upcoming events.

Can't copy and paste easily on my tablet but it is the 5th precept of the church. I believe it is number 2043 in the catechism of the catholic church

The fourth precept ("You shall observe the days of fasting and abstinence established by the Church") ensures the times of ascesis and penance which prepare us for the liturgical feasts and help us acquire mastery over our instincts and freedom of heart.85

The fifth precept ("You shall help to provide for the needs of the Church") means that the faithful are obliged to assist with the material needs of the Church, each according to his own ability.86

The faithful also have the duty of providing for the material needs of the Church, each according to his own abilities.

The Catholic Church where I registered 15 years ago asked for what percentage I would commit and for my annual salary. It was not a required 10%.

I didn't put down any numbers. A couple of weeks later, two members showed up at my house asking for those numbers.

Some churches I've been familiar with use a pledging system to work out expected contributions for budgeting purposes.

I grew up RC.  They did basically teach tithing.  They expected a certain percentage of income (can't recall what).  They sent home boxes of envelopes.  Then on top of that they'd pass around a collection plate during the service.  Then on top of that they'd send home envelopes through the children during the religious education classes (which were always separate from the church service).  Of course many kids don't actually have money, so it's basically asking for the parents to give even more money.

Make no mistake, they essentially teach it.

However, it was not an absolute requirement.  It's not like they'd revoke your membership or something like that.  My parents tended not to give much because they were broker than broke.

I'm sure you know, though it's interesting that you make it sound differently, that the envelopes are to be given in the collection so it's not a "double dipping" thing. The envelopes are used to keep track of how much people give so that tax deductions can be given. Many churches are going to on-line donations, but not everyone does this so the collection is still done each Sunday mass (not during the weekday masses). I've never experienced envelopes being given out in any children's or youth classes/groups.

I've been to different churches (Southern Baptist, Independent Baptist, Bible Churches) that taught different things.  Some taught that OT references to a tithe are what Christians should do.  Others taught that giving was expected of a Christian, but the percentage was up to the individual. There are no NT references that I can think of that require any specific percentage amount. 

I go to a church that has a box near the entrance where people can drop in giving if they like.  Most people just do it online.  There is no passing the plate there.  I like that.  Also, there is no paid staff and we rent a Christian school's gymnasium so we can give more to widows (we classify all single women as widows) orphans and missionaries. I love that. 

I know a couple of churches that have given up their tax deductible status so they are never tempted to stop preaching truth under the threat of losing that status and the money that goes with it.  I respect that.