Menu

Huzzah! Back to break even

Laura Corin

Well, it's taken over three years since Husband was laid off, but we are back to break even.  I got a raise at work and also took on more hours; husband is making a name for himself as a consultant; we have re-organised how we run our rental property; we cut our outgoings; and we have one fewer child in private school.

In a very uncharacteristic move (normally we would wait a few years before doing this) we are celebrating with a family holiday.  Calvin is about to go off to university and we really want that time together.

So: palace of Knossos here we come!  Crete is a cheap destination from the UK, because it caters for lager louts in some of its resorts.  But go up into the hills and it's a different place.  Or so I'm told - I've never been to Greece.  We'll be going on the 22nd.

Many thanks for all tips and commiserations over the last three years.

L

I hope it doesn't take us 3 years. It gives me hope to see you on the other side.

Best wishes on the journey.....

Husband found that, at his age, he just wasn't getting job offers.  After a couple of years of diligent applications and rejections, he turned around, looked at his strengths and after some (effective but also lucky) networking, worked out a niche that makes sense for him to work freelance.  

L

Well done on getting back on your feet and have a fabulous time in Greece. Dd13 has asked that we make that our next holiday. We went when she was 3 yrs, staying in Athens and The Peloponnese. Matt Barrett's greektravel.com website gave us lots of fabulous ideas for things to do and see.