Menu

Moving sucks

Mom in High Heels

We are moving from a house off post to a house on post this week, and it is AWFUL!   The army will only pay for one move per PCS (moving from one post to another), so we're having to foot the bill for this one.  We've got movers coming on Sat to move the furniture and boxes, but we have to pack the boxes.  I have never appreciated having packers as much as I do now.  Packing is the most awful and tedious job ever.  I'm not likely to be around for a while because of this, so miss me terribly!

Jean, you're such a sweetie to worry about me.  I'm okay!  Mostly.  The last few shreds of my sanity may be gone soon, but that was really to be expected. ;)

I hate moving, too. We've always done all of it by ourselves, or with friends help. I really hate it when I don't want to move. This will make our 3rd move in less than 2 years! Landlord is selling our adorable little cottage, after only being here for a year.

May your move go swiftly and smoothly!

I've never had packers. Do they actually take care of everything? I think the main positive of moving is sprint out junk that I need to be rid of. Do you still declutter like that when you have packers or do you just bring junk with you?

We declutter before the packers get there. Huge bags of trash and Goodwill donations. The packers pack pretty much everything unless you tell them not to. We put what we didn't want packed all in one area, with a big sign that said "don't pack".

I've never had packers. Do they actually take care of everything? I think the main positive of moving is sprint out junk that I need to be rid of. Do you still declutter like that when you have packers or do you just bring junk with you?

We moved 17 times on our own before we had packers.  Packers are amazing. I've had them 2 times now and they take care of almost everything.  The best part is not having to worry about the kitchen.

I still declutter before the packers show up, although we never have enough time to accumulate too much clutter. But it does help to do some sorting and clearing out before. I've had friends who didn't do anything before the movers showed up and ended up with a lot of junk on the other end to sort through.

I imagine most people would declutter better if they were packing on their own because you have to pick up everything yourself.

Ugh, I hate moving too, when the movers aren't doing it. I kept bugging dh to move to a different base closer to his work until I realized that it's only be for 18 more months and I'd have to do all the work myself. I do love debunking that accompanies moves, I think that's why even when I was non-mil I liked to move somewhat frequently. :) Good luck, hope it goes smoothly for you all!

Word.we just did a full dity across three states. Never, ever, EVER again. We're all going to rewatch sherlock while you're gone and talk about it ;-)

We just bought the season 3 DVD because we missed the last episode and PBS took it off their site before we could get to it. I wrapped it up and gave it to dd for her birthday, but I really bought it for me. But she opened it, smiled widely, and said, "Cool!" Love that kid. Then a few days later we said, "How about we start watching 'How to be a Superstar Student?'" But she knows how to manipulate us. She said, "How about we watch 'Sherlock?'" We watched Sherlock.

Oh, and on the topic of moving: we got packed when we moved to Oregon from California, and they literally pack everything. I remember unpacking a trash can and it still had the California trash in it!

That is horrible they won't move you on to base.  Many AF bases have a 1+ year waiting list for on base housing, and they move you on base after moving you there orginally.  

Our packers come next week.  They scheduled us for two days of packing, but I don't think it will take two full days at all.  But we are pretty easy.  We'll come in about 5,000 under our weight limit. They do pack everything. I don't do a thing but sit around being bored for the most part.  It is a very long and  dragged out day.  I usually just want to get it over with and get on the road because I'm tired of the hurry up and wait factor.   The only draw back is they use so much paper.  Really it is a crazy amount and they wrap everything in paper.  Really, you don't need to put paper around or between couch pillows, especially when all that is going in the box is couch pillows! I think they charge by the paper sheet! LOL!  But dealing with the paper on the other end gets to be a bit much.  I usually have the house unpacked and set up with in a few days.  But sometimes it take awhile to get rid of all the boxes we have filled with packing paper.  You can only put so much out for recycling, and while the boxes go pretty fast on freecycle, the paper doesn't move as fast, so I ususally have boxes of paper left for awhile.  Moving here I couldn't give away boxes, even on freecycle for some reason.  It took about five or six trips to the recycling center on base to get rid of all those boxes and paper. It was crazy. 

My do it yourself moving days are over.  I will never go back again! I have seen the light and movers are worth every cent!