Menu

Dh dropped his triglycerides by 440 pts!!!

Soror

Last month dh had his health sceening and his triglycerides were 501, he had been around 200 for 10+ yrs, so he hasn't been in the healthy range in a LONG time. He retested Monday and he is now at 60! His total cholesterol dropped 60 points, from about 200 to 140 and he raised his good cholesterol 2 pts. His fasting glucose went down 27 pts to 75.  In the spring he had worked on making some improvements, cutting back on the soda and treats but after getting those numbers he decided he was going to have to be more serious. He completely dropped the sodas and went strict paleo- no grains, gluten, dairy, processed food, sugar etc. He did a couple of weeks pretty low carb but isn't so hard core now. He started taking therapeutic doses of fish and krill oil (3-4kg) and within the week or 2 prior also added niacin.  He upped his activity as well, lots more kayaking, walking and biking around here along with strength exercises. He's feeling much better and doesn't complain near as much about fatigue, aches and pains. He's lost 28 lbs total since starting in the spring. He's aiming to lose about 17 more. He's so proud of himself and I am too!!!

Dh only notices the flushing when he takes it without eating but it hasn't bothered him much.

He has been eating a fair share of meat as well but is also learning to like veggies. We had stir-fry the other day and he didn't make the usual gross face and it had zucchini, broccoli and onions - he never likes those veggies. He also bought cauliflower for me to make cauliflower crack. I cannot believe it. He is loving kombucha to drink and wants to start taking it for work. 

Last month dh had his health sceening and his triglycerides were 501, he had been around 200 for 10+ yrs, so he hasn't been in the healthy range in a LONG time. He retested Monday and he is now at 60! His total cholesterol dropped 60 points, from about 200 to 140 and he raised his good cholesterol 2 pts. His fasting glucose went down 27 pts to 75.  In the spring he had worked on making some improvements, cutting back on the soda and treats but after getting those numbers he decided he was going to have to be more serious. He completely dropped the sodas and went strict paleo- no grains, gluten, dairy, processed food, sugar etc. He did a couple of weeks pretty low carb but isn't so hard core now. He started taking therapeutic doses of fish and krill oil (3-4kg) and within the week or 2 prior also added niacin.  He upped his activity as well, lots more kayaking, walking and biking around here along with strength exercises. He's feeling much better and doesn't complain near as much about fatigue, aches and pains. He's lost 28 lbs total since starting in the spring. He's aiming to lose about 17 more. He's so proud of himself and I am too!!!

Yay!  That's amazing.

Our bodies really can heal themselves if we quit damaging them by fake food and other junk. 

I've heard Paleo is where it's at for longevity. 

I couldn't hardly believe it when he told me. He is on cloud 9. I was hoping he would have some improvement but neither of us would have guessed it would improve that much that fast. I guess that is a good sign that his body is recovering so quickly. He has lost weight before and improved his eating but never ever has he been so serious and dedicated. I imagine that after he gets to where he wants he'll loosen up a bit but I think(hope) that he doesn't return to where he was. He has been nothing but thankful to me as well as he had me put him on a plan and has done pretty much whatever I said, although after starting he began researching on his own so he knows why he is doing what he is doing but I was able to help him a lot with making sure he had food ready to go, especially snacks. We are both loving being able to be more active again (me because I'm working on recovering from Hashimotos) and him as he is eating better/losing weight etc. He was really starting to get uncomfortable with the extra weight he was carrying.

:hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray: Thanks for the good report. Congrats to him for doing such a good job.

I've never read much about paleo, just low carb. Could you share his/your best resources for paleo? (Internet sites, books, etc.) I've just had a 3 month followup where I've made improvement, but not as good as his, so now I need to find out more about paleo.

Thanks and best wishes.

I greatly increased my exercise by biking ten miles a day.  My diet was a strict paleo.  I lost weight.  Unfortunately all my bad cholesterol increased (good decreased) to the highest it has ever been to the point the doctor wanted me to do medication.  Instead of meds I'm doing some heart healthy type diet which is back to low fat/low cal with grains.   I'll see how I test with that.

I'm so happy for your husband!  Good for him!  I am jealous.  I'd rather do paleo than low fat/low cal.  I'm miserable and have to keep my calories ridiculously low just to not gain weight.

My favorite paleo site is Mark's Daily Apple, he has lots of info and imo isn't so extreme as some. He has lots of good info; studies, inspiration, activity, stress and recipes. He doesn't just focus on the food but the whole life.

I would look specifically at the Omega 3- Dha's and Epa's especially I think the evidence is pretty good here and not just the amount in a multi-vitamin. They actually have a prescription strength that are hella expensive, we researched and found some that was very pure and had high amounts per pill and bought it OTC from Amazon. The research seems pretty good for niacin as well for lowering the bad and increasing the good, I haven't read as much about that though. 

From what I've read as well, not just paleo sources but the mainstream info from dh's health insurance seems to point a finger towards too much sugar and other white foods as a big risk for cholesterol levels. 

I greatly increased my exercise by biking ten miles a day.  My diet was a strict paleo.  I lost weight.  Unfortunately all my bad cholesterol increased (good decreased) to the highest it has ever been to the point the doctor wanted me to do medication.  Instead of meds I'm doing some heart healthy type diet which is back to low fat/low cal with grains.   I'll see how I test with that.

I'm so happy for your husband!  Good for him!  I am jealous.  I'd rather do paleo than low fat/low cal.  I'm miserable and have to keep my calories ridiculously low just to not gain weight.

Sorry to hear that, unfortunately not everything works for everyone. I hope that figure out something that makes you feel good and healthy.

Sorry to hear that, unfortunately not everything works for everyone. I hope that figure out something that makes you feel good and healthy.

Thank you!  I felt healthier.  It could have been issues with menopause, thyroid, or my auto-immune (or combination of all).  My experience certainly isn't typical and shouldn't discourage anyone from trying Paleo.

Yes, I know thyroid problems mess with your cholesterol. I have auto-immune thyroid issues but my cholesterol is textbook perfect, of course my thyroid and autoimmune have caused enough issues, its nice not to worry about that.

My mom dropped hers by 200 points by going paleo.  She was drizzling fat on things and still dropped it.  Crazy irony, that paleo stuff.  lol

Yes, I know thyroid problems mess with your cholesterol. I have auto-immune thyroid issues but my cholesterol is textbook perfect, of course my thyroid and autoimmune have caused enough issues, its nice not to worry about that.

I can't remember...are you on Armour?  Armour has been life changing for me.  :D

I can't remember...are you on Armour?  Armour has been life changing for me.   :D

I'm on Naturethroid and Cytomel. I noticed an immediate increase in energy, diet and sleep have been absolutely vital as well. I'm still not totally optimal right now but a VAST improvement over where I've been.

His numbers changed this drastically over a month's time?

I've been trying to convince my dh to try eating strictly paleo for a limited time ??? and see how it works.  I already watch our carb, sugar intake, but there's more he could do.  I'm going to share your post with him.  

His numbers changed this drastically over a month's time?

I've been trying to convince my dh to try eating strictly paleo for a limited time ??? and see how it works.  I already watch our carb, sugar intake, but there's more he could do.  I'm going to share your post with him.  

Yep, crazy huh? I don't know if I would believe it except I seen the test results with my own eyes. The doctor and nurse were blown away. 

Dh only notices the flushing when he takes it without eating but it hasn't bothered him much.

He has been eating a fair share of meat as well but is also learning to like veggies. We had stir-fry the other day and he didn't make the usual gross face and it had zucchini, broccoli and onions - he never likes those veggies. He also bought cauliflower for me to make cauliflower crack. I cannot believe it. He is loving kombucha to drink and wants to start taking it for work. 

Feeling healthy makes a few things look rather appealing - like veggies. :)  :hurray:

… I would look specifically at the Omega 3- Dha's and Epa's especially I think the evidence is pretty good here and not just the amount in a multi-vitamin. They actually have a prescription strength that are hella expensive, we researched and found some that was very pure and had high amounts per pill and bought it OTC from Amazon. The research seems pretty good for niacin as well for lowering the bad and increasing the good, I haven't read as much about that though. 

From what I've read as well, not just paleo sources but the mainstream info from dh's health insurance seems to point a finger towards too much sugar and other white foods as a big risk for cholesterol levels. 

Would you mind sharing the brands of the products you bought from Amazon? Thanks.

I also found that my cholesterol and trigs dropped when I cut sugar/carbs

*Disclaimer- Dh and I are not doctors. Please check for any medication reactions and warnings. Omega 3s can cause blood thinning and niacin can cause digestive upset and flushing for some people. 

Dh took OmegaVia Fish Oil as we were pleased with the purity ratings and the amount of fish oil per capsule. He is taking 3-4gs in the 1105 mg pills. He is also taking Neptune Krill Oil (different brands). He is aiming to get between the 3-4gs in a combo of the fish oil and krill oil. Fwiw reading the research dh was impressed with the krill oil, however I liked the fact that the fish oil has a longer track record and much more research done by a variety of sources, that coupled with the fact that krill oil is much more expensive is why he is taking the majority in Fish Oil. I know some prefer things like cod liver oil but in order to reach therapeutic doses, which have shown from research to be effective, at the triglycerides levels dh has/had,* you would need so much you would be getting way too much vit A. Dh is also taking Niacin in the form of nicotinic acid, he was taking 500 mg and is now up to 1000 mg per the dr's rec. Another fwiw you can buy prescription forms of fish oil/omega 3s for cholesterol but after looking it over we felt that the OmegaVia was more than comparable for a fraction of the cost.

*Different levels of dosage are recommended depending on your level of cholesterol so you need to look into that to determine what would be best for you. 

Soror,

Thank you so much for help.

I am trying to stay off Rx and use more natural type products. I've just recently begun to seriously change my diet. In 3 months my trig went from 246 to 142, but cholesterol from 261 to only 230. I'm pleased with the improvement, but I still need to make more changes.

I have a MD appointment in  a couple of weeks, so I will check with her to see what she recommends. I will take the info about fish/krill oil and niacin to see what she says.

I've also started reading Mark's Daily Apple; there's so much info there it will take me awhile to get thru it.

Thanks again for your help,  :hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray: for your husband's good job.

Soror,

Thank you so much for help.

I am trying to stay off Rx and use more natural type products. I've just recently begun to seriously change my diet. In 3 months my trig went from 246 to 142, but cholesterol from 261 to only 230. I'm pleased with the improvement, but I still need to make more changes.

I have a MD appointment in a couple of weeks, so I will check with her to see what she recommends. I will take the info about fish/krill oil and niacin to see what she says.

I've also started reading Mark's Daily Apple; there's so much info there it will take me awhile to get thru it.

Thanks again for your help, :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: for your husband's good job.

Have you looked into total cholesterol versus particle size? You can have your cholesterol particle size checked.

I would recommend The Great Cholesterol Myth by Johnny Bowden. I know my library has the audiobook available on Hoopla.

Have you looked into total cholesterol versus particle size? You can have your cholesterol particle size checked.

I would recommend The Great Cholesterol Myth by Johnny Bowden. I know my library has the audiobook available on Hoopla.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

• 1 month later...

I don't know what dh's original figure was but he got new test results back today and I just wanted to share here as it's on the topic. He's down to 109 for triglycerides (they told us anything under 150 was normal). We're thrilled. His bp went to normal range (it was like 2 levels above last time). His cholesterol is optimal, too (maybe that's the overall cholesterol figure?). They just told him to increase his good cholesterol (which is at 60). He's lost more weight since the last post but he injured his foot, I guess from overdoing the walking with his weight on the body. He thought he had gout and blamed the fish oil supplement but they told him it's severe tendinitis and he needs to stay off it as much as possible (but he refused the boot and is just not exercising and limiting his walking even though he went back to work. They gave him these things to put on the foot and it has helped with the swelling. Looks like a normal foot again lol). So, overall, we're very happy.

Fabulous news, kudos to your dh!

My dh is maintaining at about a 35 lb lost. He planned to try and lose another 10 but it is proving harder so right now he is just happy to maintain.

This is the book my dh read and really liked/agreed with also (he is a doctor and reads tons of medical literature also).  We have a almost 9 YO son who has high cholesterol genetically (he's adopted).  Dh did tons of research trying to find ways to bring it down naturally.  One of the things that seems to have helped tons is putting him on magnesium.  It helped so much and has other good benefits that we are all taking it now.