Menu

iphone v. android

Night Elf

I have an android phone. The rest of my family has iphones. I need a new phone. What's the advantage of getting an iphone over staying with an android? All I do is text the 3 of them and make an occasional call, so don't need the bells and whistles of any new phone. Dd said the iphone has imessages between iphones, but we can send texts back and forth anyway so what's the deal with that?

I have no idea which one I want. Either way I'm getting a new phone that I have to get used to. I'm looking at the 5c iphone but I can't remember the model of android the guy showed me. It has a slightly larger screen than the iphone. Anything will be an improvement over the small screen I have now. Also, both have 16 gb which is higher than the 8 gb I have now.

I don't know much about the android so I can't really help with a comparison there. But iMessage is good if you don't have unlimited texting/you go out of the country/probably other things I can't think of. It just takes wifi so you don't have to use your service or pay for the texts.

My husband has an android phone while the rest of us have iPhones.  His contract is up and he needs a new phone so he was considering an iPhone, but there's really no advantage.  We have unlimited texting, so the iPhone-iPhone only benefits him in that he can message DD11, who only has an iPod.  He doesn't text her enough for that to make a difference.   My mother has an iPod, and so I can message her with my iPhone (again, since she doesn't have a phone and I can't text her) but my husband doesn't message my mother.

For him, the iPhone is not the best options because he knows and is used to the android operating system, and the screens are larger on the android OS phones he likes than on the iPhone.  

So, long story short, probably no benefit for you if you are happy with the android OS.

My biggest beef with android phones is that you have to buy a new phone to get upgraded operating systems, whereas with iPhones you can always download the latest and greatest OS.  If you take care of your phone, you can keep it a lot longer with the iOS since the functions are always the latest and greatest, even if the device itself is not.

I am not an Apple fan. I don't like closed systems as a rule, same reason I won't get a Windows phone.

No expandable storage alone is a deal breaker for me.  I keep everything on the phone in case I am not near data or wifi. 

I love android, always have.  Big Samsung Fan, have had the S1, S3 for years.  I'd love a Note, the screen size is appealing.

I don't have the latest OS for android on my S3 but it is fantastic and does everything I can imagine wanting it to do.

We have unlimited data and texting, so that's not a problem. It sounds like it really doesn't matter what I get. The guy at the store showed me the android model he had in his pocket and said he didn't get an iphone because he was used to android. So I guess it's six one way and half a dozen the other. I hate decisions.

If you go to the macrumors site you can see the scoop on the new iPhones coming out in the fall.  That's just a couple months away, so if the size of the screen is an issue you to, you might wait.  You might find you enjoy having the camera on the iPhone.  That's actually why I want to upgrade in the fall, to get the improved camera.  Right now I have an iPhone 5 which I love because it WORKS.  I was coming from an HTC phone that was horrible, horrible, horrible.  I think most people like their Samsungs, so I think if you're down to Samsung or an iPhone and just pick it up and pick the one you like better, you'll be happy.  If you like the iPhone features better but not the screen size, wait till the new ones come out in two months.

And yes, iMessages is just texting, same diff.

here's my plug.

android - and here's why.

my phone fell out of my pocket, outside of course.  it rained before I found it - so I had to dry it out.  as I was searching *many sites* for instructions on how to dry out a phone, one overwhelming bit of trivia became pretty evident.   you can dry out an andriod phone.  if you have an iphone, you're up a creek.

We have unlimited data and texting, so that's not a problem. It sounds like it really doesn't matter what I get. The guy at the store showed me the android model he had in his pocket and said he didn't get an iphone because he was used to android. So I guess it's six one way and half a dozen the other. I hate decisions.

I think it is.

I got my first smart phone a little over a year ago.  I did extensive research and decided on an iPhone for reasons that were important to me (the hardware appears more durable, iOS is simple and it works, and as someone else mentioned, the issue of getting updates).  All those are important to me.  Other people will have different things that are important to them, and so have valid reasons for choosing an android phone.  It seems to me that either platform probably works very well, and it's really just a matter of picking which one best suits your particular needs and wants.  I think most people who just say "Apple" or "android" w/o giving their reasons why, or those who insist that one is absolutely superior to the other, mainly just want to validate their own choice.

We all had iPhones. Ds and I switched to Android (Galaxy S4) and love it. We're moving dh to Android as soon as he can upgrade.

It's really a matter of preference, though it's hard to know what you'd like if you haven't had both. In my case I took a chance. I don't miss my iPhone at all and am very glad I switched. 

As a Samsung Galaxy user, the only benefit I can see to switching is that Siri is much smarter than Galaxy as far as voice commands go.  If I am in a new town, my friends with Siri can find things much faster than I can with Galaxy (S Voice.)  Food, gas, alternate routes, etc. 

Ds uses S Voice but I prefer Google Now. I find it works just as well for me as Siri does for my friends who have iPhones. I agree with you on S Voice though. I don't care for it.

I have an LG G2. It's a beast. Love it, mostly because we're in a poor coverage area, and the antenna on this always gets a decent signal. I have a Mac Mini, and like their computers, but I dislike the iOS on their phones. Also, there are a lot of reports of antenna issues with these devices.

Also, stay away from the Samsung Galaxy sIII for the same reason: faulty antenna issues.

We all had iPhones. Ds and I switched to Android (Galaxy S4) and love it. We're moving dh to Android as soon as he can upgrade.

It's really a matter of preference, though it's hard to know what you'd like if you haven't had both. In my case I took a chance. I don't miss my iPhone at all and am very glad I switched. 

Ds uses S Voice but I prefer Google Now. I find it works just as well for me as Siri does for my friends who have iPhones. I agree with you on S Voice though. I don't care for it.

Cool.  As soon as my phone charges, I am looking into this. 

I disagree about them being equal choices. Apple has far more apps, and the apps are much better vetted.

Hmmm ... we have both.  I don't really see this in the kind of apps we look for.  Most of our apple apps have a android equivalent and vice versa.  I've had crappy apps on both devices. 

I think you're good either way.  If you have an android now, I might just stick with an android with the larger screen, etc.  You can also use skype as a free "texting" app on any device.  My DH and I have that installed everywhere.  We do have unlimited texting too, but then I can see them on my iPad, lap top, or desk top (and phone) as well.

I prefer Android. In this house we've got Android, Windows and have had iphones. The thing I find with iphone and windows is that they are quite limited. They want to tell you what you can use it for and exactly how you use it. They're also limited in storage and seem to have very short lifespans before the battery screws up and it's not as straight forward to get a new one. I like the open endedness of android. I've not had any issues with apps really and everything I've wanted has been available also love my high capacity battery that I just switch out with the back of my Galaxy S3. Android interface varies by brand and some are better than others.

I recently switched from an iphone 4 to an LG G2 and I'm very happy.  32 GB storage, 13 MP camera, the on screen keyboard is lightyears better than on my iphone or Nook. I'm not a heavy app user, and haven't come across any basic app that I might want that isn't available in some form for Android. It has taken a bit to get used to the size when calling, as it's a bit bigger than the iphone, but feels lighter.

here's my plug.

my phone fell out of my pocket, outside of course.  it rained before I found it - so I had to dry it out.  as I was searching *many sites* for instructions on how to dry out a phone, one overwhelming bit of trivia became pretty evident.   you can dry out an andriod phone.  if you have an iphone, you're up a creek.

First, this really has nothing to do with the operating system, but everything to do with the hardware of your specific phone.  

Second, my daughter has successfully "dried out" her iPhone more than once, so really this just isn't true.  

here's my plug.

my phone fell out of my pocket, outside of course. it rained before I found it - so I had to dry it out. as I was searching *many sites* for instructions on how to dry out a phone, one overwhelming bit of trivia became pretty evident. you can dry out an andriod phone. if you have an iphone, you're up a creek.

Uh, I've dried out both an iPhone and an iPod? Lots of people I know have. I am writing this message from an iPhone my husband dropped in Lake Washingon, in a dollar store case.

I recently switched from an iphone 4 to an LG G2 and I'm very happy.  32 GB storage, 13 MP camera, the on screen keyboard is lightyears better than on my iphone or Nook. I'm not a heavy app user, and haven't come across any basic app that I might want that isn't available in some form for Android. It has taken a bit to get used to the size when calling, as it's a bit bigger than the iphone, but feels lighter.

That's it. The guy showed me the LG G2. It looked pretty good. I don't really do apps. I have the Weight Watchers one and two games.

If it doesn't matter, get whatever is free.

My husband has a Droid X and I have an iPhone 5S and I wouldn't switch with him for the world. I find his phone complicated and irritating. But I wouldn't spend $200 on an iPhone if there was  a free Droid and I didn't really care a bit.

The difference between the iPhone 5C and 5S is the 5S has an exceptional camera.  Since I take all my photos with it, spending for the camera was worth it to me.

BTW we got both phones for free. There is always a discount if you have a little patience.

I am an iPhone user.  I tried to go Android.  I got the Moto X and had it for 4 months.  I could not wait to get back to an iPhone!  

I have Apple computers, iPads, and an iPhone.  They interact well together and I love iMessage, iCloud for photos, and well, pretty much everything about it.

Dawn

Well, you could just get a Lifeproof case for it!  Problem solved.

I have an Otterbox on my iPhone.  It makes it bulkier but I drop it on a weekly basis.  It (otter box) is rain proof and spill proof, not sure about dropping it in a pool, probably not.

Dawn

here's my plug.

I find the Android operating system much more difficult to navigate than the iOS.  It may be just that I'm used to iOS, but I don't think that's it.  I configure and train people on software for a living, so it's not that I'm not tach savvy.  I just don't like the feel of Android.

That said, my sister's Galaxy S5 has an amazing screen.  It really is a very clear picture.  I still wouldn't have it, though.  The actual phone itself is too wide for it to be comfortable in my hand.

Just go to the store and play with a couple.  Hold them, move around in them.  Think about an actual scenario that you might have during your day.  Try the keyboards in every phone and see how easy it is for you to type, since you text a lot.  I can't stand the Swype thing, but a lot of people love it.  Apple products don't have that functionality, so that may be important to you.

That's it. The guy showed me the LG G2. It looked pretty good. I don't really do apps. I have the Weight Watchers one and two games.

Seeing as this is what I use to do most photos and video, especially with the nicer camera, the extra storage is great, so that might be a consideration as well. I also love the image stabilization; it's made a big difference in taking pictures when something is moving. 

We aren't iverse people---the only Apple products we've had are ipods and the iphone. We have Windows-based laptops and chose Nooks over an iPad. My husband also got an LG G2 and is loving it. It doesn't hold as much music as his 64 GB ipod, but he's hoping he can eventually get away from itunes totally, as he has found itunes incredibly frustrating over the last few years. He is a heavy podcast/music user.

We've dried out iPhones many times. Rice and blow dryers go a long way. Plus good cases. You don't even have to get an otterbox or some other ~$40 case. DD has one from etsy that cost around $15. Could've been cheaper but she wanted pink. She drops it all the time and it's fine. Mine was around $15 from amazon, and DS's was even cheaper (don't know where he got it though). They've all done fine. Of course you can still break it, but I wouldn't avoid an iPhone just because of that.

As for battery life, iPhones can last pretty long. If yours has a very short lifespan then I'm wondering what you're doing with it..

Space wise, yes it's limited, but you can choose what the limit is. 8, 16, 64, 128, so on... It goes a long way if all you're really doing is texting, calling, etc. The biggest drains on storage are usually books and having lots of music, at least in our experience.

I second the idea of going to a store if you can. I don't know about android but at the apple stores we've been to they've got at least a few of each kind of device for people to try.

We LOVE our iPhones. Dh is the only one that has sold out and gone to an Android. I had to use his phone to make a call yesterday and it was really aggravating. I like just clicking the phone icon and dialing, or telling Siri to make the call. His just wasn't that easy. I couldn't quickly and easily figure out how to disconnect that call from his truck bluetooth, it didn't turn off speaker with just a click, etc. I also dislike the width of the phone. It's just too big for comfort in a small hand.

My dd went to the android (samsung) and she's back to iPhone. The rest of us are loyal iPhone users (well, loyal Apple users period). 

I love that I don't have to worry much about hacks or viruses with my Apple products. I also love their customer service; better than just about any company I've ever come across.

We recently got my 85yo mother an iPhone. She has an iPad so I figured she'd be able to get the hang of it. She has been able to make and receive calls, play games, and scroll through her Facebook page regularly. That's a LOT for someone who has never touched a computer!

As a Samsung Galaxy user, the only benefit I can see to switching is that Siri is much smarter than Galaxy as far as voice commands go.  If I am in a new town, my friends with Siri can find things much faster than I can with Galaxy (S Voice.)  Food, gas, alternate routes, etc. 

S Voice isn't great but Google Now is fantastic!

I prefer Android. In this house we've got Android, Windows and have had iphones. The thing I find with iphone and windows is that they are quite limited. They want to tell you what you can use it for and exactly how you use it. They're also limited in storage and seem to have very short lifespans before the battery screws up and it's not as straight forward to get a new one. I like the open endedness of android. I've not had any issues with apps really and everything I've wanted has been available also love my high capacity battery that I just switch out with the back of my Galaxy S3. Android interface varies by brand and some are better than others.

I have a ZeroLemon high capacity battery too, love it, phone lasts 3 days!