Menu

So overwhelmed with projects/tasks to complete that you can't get started?

My3Munchkins

Do you ever get so overwhelmed with projects/tasks that need to be completed that you can't even get started? That's where I am right now!  

I had high hopes for the summer! I was going to clean, declutter and organize the house, plan/prep for the upcoming school year, work on a few sewing/craft projects . . . We've been on summer break for almost a month and I feel like I haven't accomplished anything. But every time I think about what I have to/want to do I get so overwhelmed!

I just don't know where to start! Help! What do you do when this happens to you?

dh's grad program totally overloaded them - because in life, there is always more to do than time.  the goal was to teach them how to prioritize so the most important things got done.

so, make a list and prioritize what is most important to you.

then, just refer to the list about what you need to do.  don't worry about other stuff on it, just focus on what you are working on.  when done, you can cross it off.  it's actually fairly satisfying to look at a list where many things have been crossed off.

This would be my life.

Right now, pick one kitchen drawer or cabinet, or fridge shelf,  or pantry shelf, or closet shelf, or specific surface (like kitchen island) and spend 10 minutes decluttering that.  Clean it too if necessary (dust, wipe down, etc).  Then congratulate yourself for having started.  Maybe you have energy to do one more such area.  Maybe later.  But you have started.

I wish I knew how to post a link or could even find the right link but in 2012 and 2013 I had followed this blog where the woman put together a  free decluttering calendar for the whole year.  There was honestly one thing per day (like top nightstand drawer or third shelf in fridge).  Totally manageable.  I'm sure if you try google it will come up.

I feel your pain. With moving to India, then back again, then to a new state, my to-do list is typically 150-200 items long! I often feel completely overwhelmed, especially when accomplishing one thing is dependent on getting two other things completed prior. It helps to list everything as steps instead of projects. Steps get crossed off the list quite frequently. Projects seem to languish and stick around forever. So instead of writing "Get new driver's license." I would write "1. Find state DMV online. 2. Print out directions to closest office. 3. Print out requirements for a state license. 4. Find passport. 5. Find social security card. 6. Find electric bill. 7. Find deed. 8. Put all documents in a folder. 9. Go to DMV and apply for new license. All these little steps are do-able and can be done in spare minutes.

Of course, this did not stop me from accidentally bringing my son's passport instead of my own resulting in my having to return to the DMV another day (an additional 3 hours of driving and waiting in line). And yes, I did cry when I realized I wasted an entire afternoon and when I had so very many other things to do!

Try making a list. A long one. Include everything you can think of. Then start crossing things off. Making the list helps get all those "to do's" out of your head so they're not racing around in there and stressing you. Plus, you can see your progress as you mark things off. And it feels REALLY good to cross things out.

This would be my life.

Right now, pick one kitchen drawer or cabinet, or fridge shelf,  or pantry shelf, or closet shelf, or specific surface (like kitchen island) and spend 10 minutes decluttering that.  Clean it too if necessary (dust, wipe down, etc).  Then congratulate yourself for having started.  Maybe you have energy to do one more such area.  Maybe later.  But you have started.

I wish I knew how to post a link or could even find the right link but in 2012 and 2013 I had followed this blog where the woman put together a  free decluttering calendar for the whole year.  There was honestly one thing per day (like top nightstand drawer or third shelf in fridge).  Totally manageable.  I'm sure if you try google it will come up.

I had to look up this decluttering calendar. There was a link to print the calendar month by month, so I took a peak at July 2014. July 1st - declutter stacks of books throughout house  :lol:  July 2nd & 3rd - declutter all bookshelves. I'm not sure I could accomplish that in a month, let alone two days!  :D

I had to look up this decluttering calendar. There was a link to print the calendar month by month, so I took a peak at July 2014. July 1st - declutter stacks of books throughout house  :lol:  July 2nd & 3rd - declutter all bookshelves. I'm not sure I could accomplish that in a month, let alone two days!  :D

Ok, so not the best example.  At least with this crowd :lol:

I have this problem all the time.  What helps is doing little things here and there until I work up the momentum to start a big thing.

Getting the little things off the to-do list helps to remove the mental clutter that puts me in avoidance mode.  If you don't have any little things, break up a big thing into little chunks.  Give yourself credit if you get partway done even if you don't meet your original goal for the day.

So I am leaving for a trip to Europe in a couple days (need to pack myself and 2 kids), I have almost 500 emails in my work inbox that need attention, I have about 50 work deadlines to meet before I leave (some due today), I have several personal things to accomplish before I leave, I have to dress up and go to a fancy dinner at 4:30pm today, and what am I doing?  Playing on the internet.  Sometimes I think I need my head examined.  :P

This sounds rediculous, but I've had good luck with rolling dice (electronically in my case).

I assign a number to each of 6 or 12 general task areas (often rooms of the house, sometimes specific activities or projects), then I roll the dice app, and that focuses me admirably.

Sometimes I time-limit (40 min) then roll again. Sometimes I just plug away at the same area once I've started, then roll again if/when I run out of steam.

Weird, but true.

I am having the exact same summer...no advice just know you're not alone!

Yes!!!

This sounds rediculous, but I've had good luck with rolling dice (electronically in my case).

I assign a number to each of 6 or 12 general task areas (often rooms of the house, sometimes specific activities or projects), then I roll the dice app, and that focuses me admirably.

Sometimes I time-limit (40 min) then roll again. Sometimes I just plug away at the same area once I've started, then roll again if/when I run out of steam.

Weird, but true.

Clever idea!  I wonder if this would work for kids.  Hmmm......

I sit down, watch a soccer game and try to forget about all the things I have to do. Which is what I am doing right now.

Replace WTM board with soccer. This.^

I'm having that summer too. I'm starting up a business, trying to keep life ticking along plus trying clear out and decorate. I was gardening too but just gave up when all my hard work got destroyed by the weather and pests. There's not enough hours in the day and I'm so tired, I want to stop.

Thanks for all the responses!  I love the suggestions and it's nice to know I'm not alone!

For some reason I've had a difficult time even making a list of what I need to/want to accomplish.  Every time I sit down to make one I end up totally overwhelmed and just give up!  I have a few quiet kid-free hours today which rarely happens so I'm going to at least try to start a list.

I struggle with this. I find it helpful to commit to working on something for 20 minutes. Then I can quit. Often the overwhelming projects don't take as long as I expected. Sometimes the projects are just as bad as I expected but the little bit of progress is motivation to keep going.

I started doing something called the 12 Week Year which has really helped.

I also break up goals into small, bite sized tasks, and just make a little bit more progress every day. Chose what you can do one day, rinse and repeat the next. The small steps stop you from getting overwhelmed.

YEP!!

When this happens to me, I know my first task is always to get my To Do List organized again. I've been feeling daunted by all my huge projects for months now, so this past weekend while sitting at DS's chess tournament I spent about 2+ hours simply reoganizing my planner.  Since I currently have a lot of large school and home projects (we moved last fall), I added sections for each of those. The first page of each section is the list for "large" projects.  Then many of the large projects have their own page where I write the actual list of small tasks that need to be accomplished in order for the large project to get done. 

Now, each week, I look at my various lists of small tasks. I pick a few to put on my To Do This Week list. That way I can make gradual progress on projects that otherwise seem large and daunting.  Here is an example of what I mean -

(First page in Home section of planner)

Home Projects:

Clean up basement

Redo DD1's room to make space for DD2

Redecorate living room

Screened in porch?

Relandscape frontyard

etc...

(Next page)

Clean up basement tasks:

Clear places to put thing to move to 1) upstairs,  2) attic, and 3) Goodwill

Label boxes to go to attic

Go through additional boxes and repack/discard

Wipe out empty plastic containers

Repack scrapbook items into plastic containers

Break down extra boxes for recycling

Organize books on bookshelf

Organize toys into canvas boxes

Vacuum entire basement

Clean basement bathroom

Clean sliding glass door

Research curtains for sliding glass door

Purchase curtains

Install curtains

(next page)

Redo DD1's room to make space for DD2:

Purge DD1's bookcases (store/sell/donate)

Purge DD1's closet (store/sell/onate)

Draw diagram of furniture to figure out layout with 2 twin beds

Research second twin bed

Research second twin bedding

Purchase floorlamp, dresser mirror, wall clock

Rearrange current furniture into new configuration

etc.

(at this week's date in planner)

To Do This Week  (pick a few tasks from the above lists)

- Wipe out empty plastic containers in basement

- Clear places to put thing to move to 1) upstairs,  2) attic, and 3) Goodwill

- Clean basement bathroom

- Purge DD1's bookcase

- Draw diagram to figure out layout with 2 twin beds

etc.

I *always* accomplish more when I have a very precise To Do List.  It helps me focus, and gives me small tasks that are doable in a reasonable amount of time for a busy mama.  And at the end of the week I feel more accomplished, because I have several things crossed off my list, instead of one large thing that I've worked on all week in fits and spurts and still haven't completed and have to transfer to next week yet again.

I started doing something called the 12 Week Year which has really helped.

I also break up goals into small, bite sized tasks, and just make a little bit more progress every day. Chose what you can do one day, rinse and repeat the next. The small steps stop you from getting overwhelmed.

12 week year sounds intriguing... off to Google...

I really, really like lists. You have no idea. I should probably be diagnosed. I do think just writing everything down and then categorizing your list into doable chunks is a good idea.

I read an e card once that said "Have you ever had so much to do that you decided to take a nap?" You sound like that right now.

Ugh...I'm at the point of doing the "to do" list is too much...

:iagree:  Normally, I am a big list maker, but in this case I have so many huge projects that the thought of having them all written down would make me feel worse.  I did start on my schoolroom today (total nightmare) and only did about 15min.  Prior to starting, I looked around and almost walked back out again it was so bad.  But, after my short time, I did feel I made a bit of a dent in it, and that's what I'm going to do from now on.  For once, I'm not going to think about the "big picture".  Baby steps, baby! :D