Menu

If you're 50-something...

We're both avid quilters so we often give quilt stuff for birthdays. I love when she makes me something, though. She lives far away (all my family does) and I love having my house decorated with things my dd or sisters made me. Makes me think of them every time I see them...table runner, pot holders, quilted bag, etc. 

Agreeing with Ellie. A card or a phone call is all. Now, I'm almost 50 and have older teens living at home.  I do admit while they're living here, and since we typically do something on each person's birthday (including gifts), I do kinda find a little something nice here.  But a child out living on their own?  Nah. 

My oldest gave a me a lovely journal a couple years ago.  My other dd usually gives me a special book - we have similar tastes.  My girls live nearby so the best think they could give me is their time and share a pot of tea.

I will be 52 this year. My grown daughter has lived across the country from me for about 5 years. I love getting a phone call from her, or something that has meaning between us, or a gift card to B&N. One year she sent me a necklace that has charms of her and her sister's initials and their birthstones in crystal. It is one of my favorite pieces of jewelry, especially since I added a leaded glass crystal owl charm that belonged to my grandma.

If she didn't live near me, a visit.

If she did live near me but we rarely had time alone, I'd love a girls day - leisurely lunch, walk around anywhere, and just time to relax and enjoy being with each other.

Other than that I'd love anything that she could hand-make me.  Also, an afternoon planting flowers together, a game night with some fun party foods, having a cook-out, etc. would all be great.

If you just want gift ideas, a Kindle card, a Moleskine journal, a Redbox gift card, some colorful pens, essential oils, decorative tape for my journals, an unusual tea pot for my collection, a cute decoration for my flower or veggie garden (even little garden gnomes), etc. would all work for me.  Yesterday, I got a purse that was big enough for my iPad, notebook, and wallet/phone (for me to take to church so that I don't have to carry everything in my hands).  Anything like that would be great.  I'm not picky, but all those things would be thoughtful, to me.

JMO: It's not so much what age, but rather, hitting the "sweet spot" of whatever the person's "love language" is -- what makes them feel loved, thought of, and special. Here are long-distance ideas to connect with different love languages:

- words of affirmation (card with personal note in it, letter, an email, phone call, organize friends/family to all send you a note/card for this person and put it all together in a special memory book)

- acts of service (gift card, certificate for a dinner out or a day of maid service, special meal delivery to the house)

- gifts (bouquet, special food or hard-to-find treat, little toy or doo-dad that reminds the person they are loved)

- quality time (skype call or phone call, a card that says when you'll be planning a trip for an in-person visit)

- physical touch (okay -- hard to do long distance!, but a skype call does put you face to face at least; maybe a special photo of your family just for this person)

So, what "fills the love tank" of this particular 50-something person?! :) Start with that general area and see what specific ideas you can come up with that will say "you are loved and special" to THIS person. :)

i turned double nickles this year.  

oldest (30 something) sent me chocolates that she and i used to enjoy together when she was little.

second oldest (mid twenties and working minimum wage, which means hand to mouth on a good month) texted me a picture of a dandelion, and then pictures of roses, hydrangea and more.... she used to pick me dandelions as a little girl, and then took pictures of flowers she wished she could send.

next oldest (still at home) cleaned the kitchen and made me my favourite breakfast.

youngest did the laundry, and helped her dear dad pick gifts :).

it was a good day.

hth,

ann

ps.  underlying themes were things we had enjoyed together, and gifts of service.  (my love language is words of affirmation, but we have all been working to expand our repetoire!)

If she didn't live near me, a visit.

If she did live near me but we rarely had time alone, I'd love a girls day - leisurely lunch, walk around anywhere, and just time to relax and enjoy being with each other.

Other than that I'd love anything that she could hand-make me.  Also, an afternoon planting flowers together, a game night with some fun party foods, having a cook-out, etc. would all be great.

If you just want gift ideas, a Kindle card, a Moleskine journal, a Redbox gift card, some colorful pens, essential oils, decorative tape for my journals, an unusual tea pot for my collection, a cute decoration for my flower or veggie garden (even little garden gnomes), etc. would all work for me.  Yesterday, I got a purse that was big enough for my iPad, notebook, and wallet/phone (for me to take to church so that I don't have to carry everything in my hands).  Anything like that would be great.  I'm not picky, but all those things would be thoughtful, to me.

Similar list:

Visit would be top on the list

I'd add a card with a handwritten message in it. I've heard of cards/letters that recounted favorite memories together or shared an impact the parent had.

Other than a handmade gift, I don't care that much about physical gifts. But then,  "words of encouragement" and "quality time" would be my "love language" gifts.