Menu

What do you use to label kids' stuff for sleepaway camp?

HappyGrace

Should I bother buying labels or just use a Sharpie laundry marker? Do labels have to be ironed in? Sounds like too much work! I want it to be as easy as possible and also cheap but not ruin things like sleeping bags or shoes (I don't care about the clothes.)

And if it's easier to label, and you get good cheap labels somewhere, I'd love to know where, thanks!

I'm looking too. It's that time of year!

Good question... I always buy this iron on fabric and make my own by writing on it with a special marker. However, the labels never stay. I'll check out Mabel labels too.

That's what I did last time ds went to camp. I bought some stuff at Joann's and cut it into small piece. BUT I had to handwrite the information, and they were falling off by the time he got home. This time he's going for much longer, and the camp says every item must be labeled, so I'm looking for something better too.

I don't care if they fall off after camp. But they need to survive at least three weeks! Do the Mabel's labels stay on well? I like that they have a non-iron kind. That sounds easy.

Dd1 has one on her backpack that has survived 4 months of kindergarten abuse and has been washed twice. She also has the shoe ones that have survived just as long. I also use one on her water bottle that she takes to school ( washed every other day and only replaced label once, and that's because she tried to peel it off)

My mum had a stamp made for my oldest to use on her summer camp clothes. It was fantastic - I set out all of her clothes, stamped it and in the bag it went. Obviously it doesn't work on really dark clothing - so you'd need to iron in a white tag to stamp. I just avoided sending anything dark. Labeling 3 weeks of clothes right down to every last sock took me less than 5 minutes. It was something like this:

http://www.everythingsummercamp.com/clothing-stamp

How do you guys write a name on a clothing tag? There's barely any white space to write on. When my ds went to Boy Scout camp, everything had to be labelled with his name AND troop number. This year the camp doesn't specify what has to go on the label, so we could probably get away with an abbreviated name. But, alas, very few of his clothes have tags. I never noticed that before. I wonder if he specifically picks ones with no tags. He has a lot of those t-shirts made of thin, slippery material. I am crossing my fingers that the iron-on tags will stick to the fabric and not melt it.

I did not label. I figured I wouldn't send anything (other than my children) that I wouldn't be OK never seeing again.

We have had interesting conversation. Me: Whose shirt is this? Them: I don't know the counselors???

Me: Why did we only bring one shoe home? You do realize it isn't even yours? Them: Don't worry mom I have her address.  I spend five dollars to send the shoe. I never hear back. One month later we get an unexpected package with the shoe in it! :) It wasn't theirs either. So together we spent ten dollars shipping the stupid shoe around the country. More than it was worth most likely it was from Walmart. :)

I think the best story was. Hi mom I lost my towel. I say no problem. They, ever eager to help, inform me that they have been using someone else's. No they don't know who it belongs to. Should they bring that home????? Sorry I guess that wasn't related to labels was it? Ducking out now....

Thanks, everyone-the labels sound great but out of my budget-will try the Sharpie!

I'm sure the Sharpie will work fine! If you change your mind in the future though, I love Mabel's labels. I put them on everything that goes to school and sports (that I want back). They have lasted through numerous washings (dishwasher and wash machine). Wasn't sure it was worth it, but have had many forgotten items returned to us, (hopefully!) due to the labels. I ordered our pack of labels several years ago, and still have about half left. 

I don't label everything......  I definitely label the most likely to be lost items. (water bottle, flashlight, sunscreen, shampoo, toothpaste).  I do not label clothes.

Basically, if I don't label something and it gets lost, then it has to be okay with me.

On clothes where there is no place that a sharpie would show, I write on a piece of seam binding tape and sew it in. I usually send ds ( who loses stuff) with color coded things -- all his shorts are one color, all his shirts are another color. Otherwise sharpie.

Non-clothing items are coded with a bright patterned duct tape, then a piece of yellow plastic tape with name, topped by clear packing tape. I keep all the camp stuff together, so this does not have to be done each year.

I use either a black or silver sharpie and label clothing along the inside collar or tag. Generally, for gear, the name is written neatly in a reasonable but otherwise out of the way location- generally along a lower back edge or the like for camping items and along the inside neck or on the bottom inside hem.  I like the use of just a last name so it works with whomever is using it.   The one thing I don't label is anything my kids would be embarrassed to 'get back' in a public setting.  One year I went to camp with a girl who last name was Hiney. You can imagine the giggles and teasing when a counselor held up a pair of panties and ask who they belonged to and then saw the label and realized they "belonged on the hiney of Miss Hiney."  So, underwear does not get labeled. If they loose it, we just replace it.

I remember when I met my husband in college he was using an old military issue canvas backpack. It was a hand-off from his cousin. Right across the front of the backpack was written in black marker FIRSTname LASTname - not a neatly embroidered or screened name tag, but a sloppy hand written name in marker. Since he and his cousin shared a LASTname but had different FIRSTnames, he scribbled his cousin's name out and wrote his underneath. Really, who was the bigger dork? The one who wrote it first or the one who crossed it out and wrote it second. Seriously, if you need to label your backpack, do it one the side facing your back so you don't look like a giant dufus walking around with your name displayed in marker for all the collegiate world to see.  And yet, I married the guy. Go figure. But heed the warning and don't do that to you kids. Really, just don't. :huh:

I only send stuff to camp that won't upset me if it disappears. I don't send the (irreplaceable) troop t-shirt, the cutest pair of shorts or the expensive running shoes. I send the stuff that already has a stain, is about to be outgrown or was obtained at some random event that we barely remember.

This year T will be sporting GW's hand-me-down cargo shorts, random t-shirts from triathlons, musicals and volleyball teams of the past, and her second string sneakers as part of our fashion-forward GS Camp Collection. If it all disappears, it will save me the trouble of bagging it up for fiber recycling. IME, however, it will all make it home because no one else will want this stuff either with or without her initials sharpied on them.