Menu

Wh...what? Clay Aiken's primary opponent died in a fall at home. The race is too close to call...

unsinkable

That's fairly local to me.  Very few details are being released so far.  Media reports are saying the fall was accidental and his wife was home with him at the time.

Yes! No one has suggested that Clay snuck in and gave him a shove or anything. It's just a coincidence.

I don't know anything about the candidate in question, but I believe the disparaging tone in several post violates board rules.

Imagine (or remember!) the comments made about actors who ran as Republican gubernatorial and presidential candidates.

YUP.

His professional background besides American Idol and appearing on Broadway is in special education. Perhaps his experience there has led him in the direction of politics. But yes, there are many people in congress who have been professional performing artists.

YUP.

His professional background besides American Idol and appearing on Broadway is in special education. Perhaps he his experience there has led him in the direction of politics. But yes, there are many people in congress who have been professional performing artists.

The skills needed to get into congress are charisma and persuasiveness. That's why actors (Fred Thompson), pageant contestants (Sarah Palin), and reality tv stars (the Real World guy) do so well.

YUP.

His professional background besides American Idol and appearing on Broadway is in special education. Perhaps his experience there has led him in the direction of politics. But yes, there are many people in congress who have been professional performing artists.

He has little professional experience in special education. He did earn his degree  after his American Idol appearances (it was in progress before that).  He does do volunteer work centered around his celebrity status moreso than hands on working with a particular population. He has helped some organizations raise a lot of money - which is a good thing! I imagine through that he has gained a lot of perspective on various needs in various populations. 

Actually, Fred Thompson was an attorney and specifically an Attorney General in his state before he became an actor. He was that for many, many years though if you are a trial attorney, you get much practice in speaking before an audience too.

Ok Arnold Schwartzenneger then instead.

Not disparaging anyone here.

Is it any surprise that an individual does not need to be a genius or have an great CV to get elected to office? Plenty of people, on both sides of the aisle, have had productive and useful political careers without terribly impressive credentials to start. The People's House and all...

Who cares what a candidate did prior to running?  While it is true that I look at their resume to see if they have any experience, I also look at their platform and their character as well.  

I don't understand, how could you get an understanding of their character without looking at what they did prior to running? You'd have to rely on their words, not their actions, which does not seem prudent.

I don't understand, how could you get an understanding of their character without looking at what they did prior to running? You'd have to rely on their words, not their actions, which does not seem prudent.

Sure I look at it.  But I don't care if a garbage truck driver decides to run for local government because his resume shows honest labor.  I probably wouldn't look at that same garbage truck driver for higher positions because I want to see some more community and political experience but if that same person did well in local government and then got that experience I wouldn't rule him out for higher office.  

Sure I look at it. But I don't care if a garbage truck driver decides to run for local government because his resume shows honest labor. I probably wouldn't look at that same garbage truck driver for higher positions because I want to see some more community and political experience but if that same person did well in local government and then got that experience I wouldn't rule him out for higher office.

Government might be a lot better if it was run by former garbage truck drivers, LOL. :)

It depends. A couple of years ago there were two guys on my ballot for sheriff. One had worked for the police force for ten years, then transferring to the sheriff's office. The other was a security guard with no real law enforcement experience. I voted for the guys with experience. However, when it comes to other types of political offices? If the person is smart and can keep their nose clean, they might be better than a lawyer with an inside track to corruption.

Please tell me I am not the only one who read the OP and thought "What? I thought he already won American Idol.  Is there a past-contestants come-back show or what?"

I also realised, once I read the subsequent posts, that I obviously do not watch enough TV. ;)