Menu

Seriously, what would you do with this dog?

StaceyinLA

I may have posted about this before, but obviously we haven't done anything up to this point, so I'm asking again.

Ds brought home a puppy late last summer. Two months later, he moved out, and moved somewhere that didn't allow pets. Yeah, I know - genius. Of course he figured we would keep her, and we have tried.

The dog is good with kids, great with our chickens, but chases our cats a LOT. She also jumps on cars when people drive up and has put some serious scratches on a few. She did almost $700 worth of damage to dh's $50,000 work truck chewing wiring underneath it. Two months ago, when I got my Traverse, she promptly chewed the bumper. Today I noticed she has recently chewed my front bumper as well.

I know she's still a puppy, but I just do NOT have time for this. I didn't ask for it, nor do I need this in my life right now. The dog is fixed, vaccinated, etc. I don't just want to try and give her away because I don't want to wind up having her be abused or used for fighting (common in our area), etc. Dh doesn't want her to be in a pen because he says, "what's the point," but I just cannot keep spending money repairing things like this. My new bumpers will cost around $1000.

I promise I'm not cruel and heartless. We have rescued tons of dogs and cats over the years, and I normally LOVE animals. It's just not the time in my life I would've chosen to have a dog (due to a LOT of traveling), and I'm just burnt out on the destruction.

WWYD?

I"d give the dog away.  Find a rescue group and let them re-home it. 

If the dog is a particular breed, see if you can find that breed in your area. They can be very particular about matching a dog with a family who can handle the needs of that particular breed. 

I agree with the others.  I wouldn't abandon the dog or take it to a standard shelter, but there are rescue organizations, particularly if it's not a mutt.  

I love my dogs, but you didn't want yours in the first place.  There are limits to what I would be willing to sacrifice monetarily for an animal I didn't want. 

I'd wait to see if things improve as the puppy matures.  They often do.   :)

Does she get enough exercise, chew toys, attention?  Is she trained to obey basic commands, ie, sit, stay, down, off?

However, if your heart truly isn't into it, re-home her while she's still young so she can adjust more easily to a new environment / family.

I think the what's the point is that if the dog isn't interacting with us and being able to run on our property, why have it. Of course, the dog is destructive when loose, so I think confining would be better.

The main issue is that I cannot consistently train the dog. I travel often and am gone for weeks when I do. Dh works and then has all the maintenance of the house/property, etc. which also includes cooking, laundry, etc. when I'm not here.

She has her good points, and I hate the thought of rehoming any animal, but I'm pretty sure I'm not up to the challenge, and I'm tired of my stuff being ruined.

I'm making a guess on the breed based on some info in your first post, but I'm assuming this pup is a pit bull/"bully" breed of some sort? I've rescued/adopted quite a few of these guys over the years. 

I don't think you are being heartless if you re-home the dog, in your case. She wasn't yours to begin with . You didn't ask for the responsibility and then decide to quit on it; you tried to do right, and it's not working. I think that's ok.

This type of dog needs lots and lots of exercise and mental stimulation. If they don't have a job, they have to get rid of the excess energy somewhere. That's why she's attempting to reduce your cars to a pile of nuts and bolts. :laugh:  Mine always do better when we regularly do obedience classes, and we've dabbled in agility training. We also have local tracking classes that I would love to do but haven't had the time for--dogs like this can really thrive on that kind of work, though. I would also run with mine (currently one of my dogs has blown out her knee and the other is just too old, but in general). If you don't have the time to get the dog a hobby, I think that's another check in the "re-home" category.

Also, a I reading correctly that she lives outside? I know none of mine would have ever done well living outside of the home. Allowed to run outside as much as possible, yes, but living outside, confined in a pen or on a run--no. So if that's the case, or if that's the type of situation she's heading for, I think that's another good reason to re-home.

Anyway...I would just really, really be careful how you re-home. In our area, the shelters immediately euthanize any dog that looks even remotely pit bull. They are considered "not adoptable" the minute they come in. So, if I were you, I would research some legitimate rescue groups that have experience with them, the kind that are going to work to find the best match for the dog and her personality/energy. But I think it would be worth the time an effort to find such a group, for sure.

And while I agree your son should have been responsible in the first place, for the dog's sake, if I were in your position, I'd try to find a good home through a reputable rescue and wouldn't give the dog back to him.

ETA: I don't think it's cruel--actually, I think it's a good thing--to confine the dog inside in a crate when you need to, if that is an option. Of course, that's kind of moot point if you don't have the time/means to give her the time/training/exercise she needs when she's not in the crate. Just putting that out there if that would help keep the destruction to a minimum until you find a new home/another solution.

I'd have gotten rid of the dog on the first day my son made it clear that he wasn't going to be caring for it.

I'd send Son a bill for all the crap that his neglected animal caused.

I'd rehome/sell/give up/surrender the dog to who ever was willing to take it on a 1st come, 1st served basis and I wouldn't worry too much about it.

That is just me though and I am not an animal lover.

If its a bully breed please find a rescue group to help you rehome the dog. Do not adopt her out privately, particularly if the dog is showing signs of destructiveness and a need for serious behavioural training (which it really sounds like from your op).

I wouldn't feel bad about surrendering her to a rescue group. It will be MUCH better for the poor pup in the long run.

I would privately rehome her through craigslist.

OP, please be extremely careful if you do that.

It's widely believed that dog fighters pick up "bait" dogs offered for free on Craigslist.   So if you do go that route I'd ask at least a minimal rehoming fee ($25 - $50).

Also, be aware that while surrendering her to a rescue group sounds like a good option, you may encounter problems with that.  IIRC you're in the south (Louisiana?  Or am I totally wrong?).  Most rescue groups in all areas of the country, but especially the south, are constantly overflowing with unwanted animals.  If you can even find one to take the dog, there may be a many months long waiting list.

It's widely believed that dog fighters pick up "bait" dogs offered for free on Craigslist.   So if you do go that route I'd ask at least a minimal rehoming fee ($25 - $50).

Also, be aware that while surrendering her to a rescue group sounds like a good option, you may encounter problems with that.  IIRC you're in the south (Louisiana?  Or am I totally wrong?).  Most rescue groups in all areas of the country, but especially the south, are constantly overflowing with unwanted animals.  If you can even find one to take the dog, there may be a many months long waiting list.

I'm sure the elderly couple who took in a dog I was rehoming due to my children being allergic to her were definitely running a dog fighting operation.  :001_rolleyes:

I'm sure the elderly couple who took in a dog I was rehoming due to my children being allergic to her were definitely running a dog fighting operation.  :001_rolleyes:

Is the sarcasm really necessary or justified?

Did I say *everyone* looking for a dog on Craiglist is operating a dog fighting ring?  (No, I did not.)

But talk to anyone who works in animal rescue/welfare and they will probably tell you that it's much, much more common than many would like to believe.  Many people aren't aware of the problem at all.

If I were thinking of rehoming a dog and had no experience in doing it, it's something I'd want to know.

Did I say *everyone* looking for a dog on Craiglist is operating a dog fighting ring?  (No, I did not.)

But talk to anyone who works in animal rescue/welfare and they will probably tell you that it's much, much more common than many would like to believe.  If I were thinking of rehoming a dog and had no experience in doing it, it's something I'd want to know.

Yes, it's very common.  Some of the "sweetest" people come and "adopt" your pet, only to turn around and sell them to dog fighting operations or research labs.  Some people bring their kids with them to show just how "wonderful" they are and make the person giving away their pet feel good about who their pet is going to.  It's really sad and I've seen/heard it all.

Again, not *everyone* who goes through Craigslist does this, but it happens so often that I'd never recommend going that route.  I'd find a very reputable rescue agency that does follow-ups with their adoptions if I needed to re-home a pet.

If you put the dog on Craigslist, require a home check, vet references, and personal references.  Ask if they have owned, or do own, other pets.  What happened to those pets (also ask the vet this question)? 

Ask questions.  Do they have a securely fenced yard with a high enough fence to prevent the dog from jumping over it?  Do they plan to do activities with the dog -- hunting, agility, dock diving, and so forth?  Will they train the dog, and by which method?  Are they familiar with dogs of this breed or mix?  Will they microchip the dog, have it neutered (if not done already)?  How will they  handle the transition period?  How old are their children, or children who frequently visit them?  Is anyone in the household allergic to dogs?  How will they house train the dog, if he is not already been trained?  Can they afford to pay the vet bills associated with pet ownership?  Do they know about pet insurance and Care Credit in case the dog needs vet care they cannot afford?  What will they feed the dog? Do they know where to go for help if they need it, including online help?

What is their daily life like?  Will the dog be left alone for hours on end?  How do they intend to handle the dog's needs when they are not home?  How much exercise will the dog get, and how will that be handled?  Will the dog live in the house?  If not, how will they provide for his attention needs and physical needs, and how will they keep him safe and comfortable?

What happens if they take the dog and don't want to keep him?  Will you take him back?  What would prevent them from wanting to keep the dog?

But talk to anyone who works in animal rescue/welfare and they will probably tell you that it's much, much more common than many would like to believe.  Many people aren't aware of the problem at all.

If I were thinking of rehoming a dog and had no experience in doing it, it's something I'd want to know.

:iagree:   x 1,000.

I don't think everyone on Craigslist is up to no good. However, a rescue organization is trained to make sure a dog who is untrained is ready and safe to go to a new home. And they are very thorough at ensuring that the dog will be rehomed to a family who can handle it and hopefully it will be the dogs last home.

I stopped reading replies, but if you rehome the pup, ask for a rehoming fee. Fighters won't pay for their "bait". They look for free dogs. Ask a $25 rehoming fee, and then include a bag of food and toys that make up the cost. Don't mention the food and toys in the ad though.

I don't think everyone on Craigslist is up to no good. However, a rescue organization is trained to make sure a dog who is untrained is ready and safe to go to a new home. And they are very thorough at ensuring that the dog will be rehomed to a family who can handle it and hopefully it will be the dogs last home.

AFTER I wrote this out I realized I was turning the thread a different way. I'm sorry about that and would cut and paste to a new thread if I knew how.

I'm sorry, but the above quote just isn't true. We have adopted through 3 dog rescue organizations. The first dog was great with our family, but went ballistic around men with deep voices. He obviously was not safe.

The second dog (a labrador) was a puppy that came from a family that couldn't handle his puppy ways. However, after dealing with his severe dominance and aggression issues as a puppy I tracked down the breeder and he told me the dam was the same way and he almost gave up on her. Instead he bred her and sold the puppies. The rescue had access to this information, but did not seek it out. Again, they did not ensure he was safe. (We had decided we would not give him away before we got him, so we worked hard on his issues and he turned out to be a good boy. He did have dominance issues his whole life, though.)

Our current dog is from the SPCA. He cost $375. When I questioned the cost they said he had his shots, was wormed, and fixed. We got him home and he had he had worms and needed another shot. He was not ready.

Also, in our most recent search I asked various rescues about background and behavior. Many times they told me they didn't know much. I asked about testing temperment and it became clear that I should not assume that had been done.

Some rescues do check temperment, so it isn't all bad. I'm very impressed with the Humane Society in this area. They work hard to rehabilitate animals.

Lastly, it appears rescues will "save" dogs from county animal control. I found one that was a great match for our family. When I called animal control they said a rescue was on its way to get him. So I asked why, was he in danger of being put down? No, he wasn't. So, even though I was willing to drive two hours to see if he was a good fit, we lost that opportunity to a recue that got him already altered and vaccinated for $25. They then turned around and "adopted" him out for a boatload more money.

I have determined that breed rescues,animal control, and the humane society are the only ones I will trust.

I'm sure rescues are full of wonderful people that love animals, but the policies and money making in the name of saving animals has gotten out of hand.

I WAS thinking breed-specific rescue as it was mentioned upthread that this dog is a bully breed. If you are rehoming a bully, I would want professional help in choosing a home. Even if that's a shelter, breed rescue, generic rescue, or humane society. Craigslist and such places would not be on my shortlist of places I would use to surrender OR adopt a dog.

I do agree there are some questionable rescue groups but any I've deal with have been excellent. Particularly the breed specific ones.

Yes. I would not consider Craigslist. In our area, pit bull fighting is sadly common. I think I mentioned in my OP that this isn't something I'm comfortable doing. I don't love the dog, and am clearly frustrated with the situation, but I can't send her off not knowing if that would be her fate.

I WAS thinking breed-specific rescue as it was mentioned upthread that this dog is a bully breed. If you are rehoming a bully, I would want professional help in choosing a home. Even if that's a shelter, breed rescue, generic rescue, or humane society. Craigslist and such places would not be on my shortlist of places I would use to surrender OR adopt a dog.

I do agree there are some questionable rescue groups but any I've deal with have been excellent. Particularly the breed specific ones.

It was maybe assumed that she was a bully breed, but she isn't. As much as I don't blame pit bulls for the way they are viewed, in our area I would NEVER own even a pit mix. The dog hasn't exhibited any aggressive behaviors, other than chasing and harassing my cats.

Thank you all for the replies. I've contacted a rescue organization, and will see where that goes. My son is working and going to college, and though it was an irresponsible decision initially, I'm not putting this on him at this time.

I probably will have him assist with some of the repair costs.

I stopped reading replies, but if you rehome the pup, ask for a rehoming fee. Fighters won't pay for their "bait". They look for free dogs. Ask a $25 rehoming fee, and then include a bag of food and toys that make up the cost. Don't mention the food and toys in the ad though.

This is actually a VERY popular myth. Many absolutely will pay for dogs (especially if they are in a big fighting ring with a potentially large payout), though they are a bit less likely to pay for the baits, they will most certainly pay for the fighters.

The dog is a lab/shepherd mix.

Ok then everything you said makes perfect sense. Labs are puppies for eternity and shepherds need to be worked both physically and mentally. That dog needs some serious training and probably even regular agility training to keep its mind active. Sounds like he is a puppy on top of being bored and understimulated.

If you can't offer him regular training then you need to find someone who is up for that commitment to take him. Sadly, a dog like that probably won't last long in a shelter and, if he did get adopted, chances are that he would be bounced around from home to home for the rest of his life because of these problems (that really aren't his fault).

Ok then everything you said makes perfect sense. Labs are puppies for eternity and shepherds need to be worked both physically and mentally. That dog needs some serious training and probably even regular agility training to keep its mind active. Sounds like he is a puppy on top of being bored and understimulated.

If you can't offer him regular training then you need to find someone who is up for that commitment to take him. Sadly, a dog like that probably won't last long in a shelter and, if he did get adopted, chances are that he would be bounced around from home to home for the rest of his life because of these problems (that really aren't his fault).

This is the problem. I won't be able to live with the guilt of her going to a shelter because I know she'd never make it out. I'm just not up for that.

Honestly, as dumb as it may sound, I have considered getting another dog to keep her company, and maybe pen up with her when she can't be unsupervised. The problem is trying to find another big dog that will be good with my chickens.

I think I'm just going to have to have my husband commit to a pen for her or something unless I hear from the local adoption house. I just cant deal with uncertainty.

And we DO give her plenty to chew. She has lots of land to roam. She gets in the back pen and plays with the pot-bellied pigs. I don't think her problem is lack of exercise.

I would talk to your vet about working with on behavior modification.  You might not need to be home constantly to do that, or you may be able to outsource that job to someone else (oh, like maybe, a certain son).  Our neighbors have a mutt like this, and she just gets lonely and needs attention from a dog walker while they are out during the day; it might be something that simple to fix.  The vet may be able to advise you on that, or prescribe meds if he thinks the dog has psychological problems, or refer you to a behaviorist, if necessary.  But I be the vet would have some great ideas; probably not the first time he's seen this.  And if all that fails, the vet may know of a great home for the dog!

This is the problem. I won't be able to live with the guilt of her going to a shelter because I know she'd never make it out. I'm just not up for that.

Honestly, as dumb as it may sound, I have considered getting another dog to keep her company, and maybe pen up with her when she can't be unsupervised. The problem is trying to find another big dog that will be good with my chickens.

I think I'm just going to have to have my husband commit to a pen for her or something unless I hear from the local adoption house. I just cant deal with uncertainty.

And we DO give her plenty to chew. She has lots of land to roam. She gets in the back pen and plays with the pot-bellied pigs. I don't think her problem is lack of exercise.

Even if she has plenty of places to go and other animals to interact with, it is still unfocused. She needs to use her brain.

The pen may work or you may end up with a whole new set of problems - digging, obsessive jumping to get over the fence, climbing the fence, or other neurotic behaviors. Sure, she will be contained and unable to chew your stuff, but that doesn't solve the problem of her need for mental stimulation and that can remanifest in a number of ways.

Another dog could be good for her, though I would absolutely not choose a dog of the same age/stage. A dog that is older but still able to keep up with an active pup would act as a role model or pack leader and teach her a bit about how to behave. But it's tricky because you could also just as easily end up with two behavior problems.

I think your best bet, if you are truly unable to train her, is to rehome her. Perhaps go through a local kennel club or obedience school to see if there are any takers.

You could also hire someone, maybe a dog walker who knows about training, to come give her attention and work on obedience with her.

I think the what's the point is that if the dog isn't interacting with us and being able to run on our property, why have it. Of course, the dog is destructive when loose, so I think confining would be better.

The main issue is that I cannot consistently train the dog. I travel often and am gone for weeks when I do. Dh works and then has all the maintenance of the house/property, etc. which also includes cooking, laundry, etc. when I'm not here.

She has her good points, and I hate the thought of rehoming any animal, but I'm pretty sure I'm not up to the challenge, and I'm tired of my stuff being ruined.

Well, and frankly, had you wanted a dog, you'd have gotten one yourself. :P

(Says the person whose dog is living at her parents until we sign on our house.)  I'd feel no remorse in telling DS either he finds it a good home or you do.   If my mom and dad found keeping our dog a discomfort we'd find him somewhere else to stay, probably boarding since it's temporary.  He's not their responsibility.

I have one of this exact cross!  In fact, I specifically looked for a GS cross. We adopted our boy at 7 mos.  He is now 2.5 years.  His father was a full chocolate lab and mom was a full GS.  Our guy is a gorgeous chocolate with a cream undercoat and amber eyes.

This cross is a very high energy mixture.  You've basically got two working breeds vying for attention and the need to work.  In addition, you have the Lab's basic need to CHEW! 

When we got Brody, he was WILD.  He had been re-homed twice. I knew this ahead of time, but both DH and I are very experienced dog people.  Although Brody didn't really have a chewing problem (he came with many hard rubber chew toys), he was a jumper.  He jumped our fence, jumped up on people and bounced everywhere.  He should have been named Tigger. He also liked to run.  We have 50 acres, but live on a rural road that is posted at 40 MPH.  This means people do 70 MPH! Brody had no concept of how to walk on a leash.  He dragged you everywhere.  The most noticeable trait he received from the Lab side, was his instinct to hunt.  This dog loves guns.  All you have to do is bring out a rifle and he go crazy.  He, no kidding, watches the skies for birds and gets all excited when he sees them--even tweety birds are not safe.

After a couple days, we knew this dog needed a stronger method of training due to his bull-headed Lab side. We bought a Dogtra training collar: http://www.amazon.com/Dogtra-1900NCP-Training-Collar-Single/dp/B001COT8LU/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1399464024&sr=1-1&keywords=dogtra+1900ncp

This is not just a shock collar.  We didn't want to have to shock him for every misstep.  This collar has a vibration mode.  This is the main mode for training.  Usually a vibration will break the dog's attention from a behavior and redirect it to you.  Only when the vibration wasn't enough would we then "nick" Brody.  This was very rare, as Labs and Shepards are very intelligent dogs, and Brody was true to that statement.  Within 2 days of intense training, Brody was a changed dog - much calmer and more inclined to listen to us.  Within a week, he could take walks with us out in the fields off leash. 

Now, after having Brody for a year and a half, he goes cross-country skiing with us, snowshoeing, biking, and long walks.  He knows the meaning of heel. He's now fetching birds for DH as well.  He roams our farm as long as one of us is out with him.  Otherwise he is in our large, fenced yard without fear of jumping it. He is also an excellent guard dog and keeps careful watch over our DD, the toddler I watch, and even our cat (his sister....lol).  I can honestly say he's turned out as one of our best family pets we've ever had.

If you are contemplating keeping this dog you have, I would strongly recommend investing in one of these collars and devoting a few days to training the dog.  The collar comes with an instruction booklet, and Dogtra has several videos on YouTube on how to use the collars and training tips.

Most of all, once you get the dog to be attentive to your commands, you need to "work" the dog.  DH takes a walk with Brody every morning whether in hiking boots, snowshoes or skis, depending upon the season.  We all take him out and bat a ball for him out in the fields just about daily.  DD takes him "hunting" in the woods, or we all go biking together (this is great exercise for Brody).

If you can't make that commitment, you need to take him to either a Lab or Shepard rescue so they can find an appropriate family who will enjoy doing these things and have the time for the dog.  A calm, well-behaved, disciplined dog is a happy dog.  A dog that is constantly getting into trouble due to undirected energy from frustration is a very unhappy dog.  Consider your lifestyle, your commitment to the dog, and then do what's best for you AND the dog.