Menu

losing 1/2 lb A DAY since starting coconut oil, even increased calories

Jeannie in NJ

thanks to posts on here, my entire family has started using coconut oil.  We all love it.  We use it instead of butter, dd and dh spread it on bread and ds spreads one side of bread with coconut oil and the other with peanut butter.  We put it on veggies, cook eggs in it, etc. 

I have been eating low carb and basically no sugar and have lost a lot of weight, but lately had hit a plateau even eating just 1,000 calories a day.  Since adding in 4 tablespoons a day (started at 1 teaspoon a day and worked my way up) I have started losing 1/2 pounds a day and have upped my calories to 1400-1500 a day.  Dh and ds also have about 4 tablespoons a day and have each lost about 10 pounds and their bellies are a lot smaller.   They have not changed what they eat and are not doing any kind of diet, not doing the low carb, no sugar like I am but they are still losing weight just by using the coconut oil. Dd does not need to lose any weight so she is only eating about 1 to 2 teaspoons a day for health reasons.

so thanks for everyone's posts on here about the oil.  Also I love the bulletproof coffee.

I am down almost 30 pounds now, yay.

I don't like coconut at all. It just tastes, and feels bizarre to me. Does the oil leave the same (after)taste as the fruit/nut/gourd/whatever a 'coconut' actually is?

Can you mask the flavor by putting it in other things?

Gil, the only other coconut I have ever had is the packaged flakes you get in a grocery store which is very sweet.  The oil is not that sweet and the eggs I cook in it are not sweet nor are the veggies that I put the oil on.  I also just eat the oil straight off a spoon and it is not that "coconutty" or sweet.  But I do find it tasty, hard to describe the taste, dh said to tell you it has a subtle taste, not strong or sweet.

I don't like coconut at all. It just tastes, and feels bizarre to me. Does the oil leave the same (after)taste as the fruit/nut/gourd/whatever a 'coconut' actually is?

Can you mask the flavor by putting it in other things?

I add coconut oil to my green smoothies everyday.  I can't even taste a difference!

Mom in High Heels, you are the only person I know besides me with a coconut allergy. I am sorry! May i ask, did your coconut allergy pop up after you were already allergic to half the known universe (like mine did)? Or was it one of your first allergies?

I'm sorry, too.

DS was allergic to coconut, but recently outgrew it. If you have an allergist, you might have him/her keep an eye on the RAST numbers to see if they go down. We were shocked and delighted that he outgrew an allergy!

DS is now allergic to only half the known universe minus one. :)

My mom outgrew a lot of good allergies in her 40s, so it's possible.

Just wanted to insert some hope.

Mom in High Heels, you are the only person I know besides me with a coconut allergy. I am sorry! May i ask, did your coconut allergy pop up after you were already allergic to half the known universe (like mine did)? Or was it one of your first allergies?

Nope, I've always been allergic to it.  Coconut, cantaloupe, carrots, peaches, cherries, apricots (most stone fruits, but I eat them anyway and suffer the throat and eustachian tube itching), all apples I've ever tried, except Pink Lady and so much more.  Generally, if it grows, moves or produces something, odds are I'm allergic to it.  It's so bad I fall under the military's Exceptional Family Member program, which means James Bond can't be stationed at certain places, if they don't have adequate facilities to take care of my allergies or places that will severely agitate them (like Texas).  I also am required to have a/c in our quarters, even if it doesn't have a/c.  <-This is the only thing JB appreciates about my allergies.

I'm sorry, too.

DS was allergic to coconut, but recently outgrew it. If you have an allergist, you might have him/her keep an eye on the RAST numbers to see if they go down. We were shocked and delighted that he outgrew an allergy!

DS is now allergic to only half the known universe minus one. :)

My mom outgrew a lot of good allergies in her 40s, so it's possible.

Just wanted to insert some hope.

Unfortunately, mine seem to be growing worse as I get older.  Boo.  I wasn't allergic to stone fruits or apples until I hit my 30's.  Both my boys outgrew their milk protein and soy allergies by the age of 2.5, and other than external allergies, don't seem to have any food problems.  Unfortunately, it seems that I'm allergic to about 85% of the known universe.

Wow, good for you!  Unfortunately I am allergic to coconut.   :(

Same here.  It gives me a rash if it's on my skin and gives me ulcer-like pain if I eat it ever since I went back on gluten.  So I think it's just my wheat allergy screwing up my system, I'm going to give it another try when my system is back on track. :(

Nope, I've always been allergic to it.  Coconut, cantaloupe, carrots, peaches, cherries, apricots (most stone fruits, but I eat them anyway and suffer the throat and eustachian tube itching), all apples I've ever tried, except Pink Lady and so much more.  Generally, if it grows, moves or produces something, odds are I'm allergic to it.  It's so bad I fall under the military's Exceptional Family Member program, which means James Bond can't be stationed at certain places, if they don't have adequate facilities to take care of my allergies or places that will severely agitate them (like Texas).  I also am required to have a/c in our quarters, even if it doesn't have a/c.  <-This is the only thing JB appreciates about my allergies.

Unfortunately, mine seem to be growing worse as I get older.  Boo.  I wasn't allergic to stone fruits or apples until I hit my 30's.  Both my boys outgrew their milk protein and soy allergies by the age of 2.5, and other than external allergies, don't seem to have any food problems.  Unfortunately, it seems that I'm allergic to about 85% of the known universe.

That stinks!! but I must say I'm impressed that the military takes that into consideration.  I wouldn't have thought about that.  I've read that whenever your body goes through a big hormonal change (like puberty and menopause) that some allergies can appear and others can disappear.  Don't know if that's true.  My allergies (food and environmental) also seem to be getting worse as I age.

Can anyone shed light on the reason this would work? Does the fat keep you fuller so you eat less? Does it change your metabolism somehow??

I'm guessing it's satiety. Coconut oil is metabolized easier by the body than other fats because it's mostly a medium chain. My son is supposed to use it because he doesn't metabolize fat. He really dislikes it though.

Side note: most coconut oils are cross contaminated with tree nut or sesame oils. Last I checked, Tropical Traditions was the only cross contamination free brand. I'm mentioning in case some issues might be with cross allergies rather than coconut itself.

Such a bummer, but how cool that the military takes it into consideration now! Love the A/C perk. My mom was a military wife and it wasn't considered, way back in the dark ages.  She suffered through, but ate nothing - and I mean nothing - raw until I was an adult.  Her seasonal allergies were horrendous, too.  Still are.  You sound like you have a lot in common.

It may have been menopause that changed things for her.  I'm not sure.  I talked to her just a while ago, and she said it didn't change till she was 52 - when she tried raw pineapple on a beach in Bali.  Guess she figured if she was going to go, at least it would be in paradise.  :) She slowly introduced more raw foods, and now she can [gasp] eat a salad. 

I hope it improves for you.  Maybe it will be a good benefit of menopause someday!

I'm hoping it changes for DS, too.  He can't eat anything raw except some apples and occasionally grapes.  Bananas send us to the ER.  He's allergic to a ton of other foods, too.  And trees and grass and holy cow... It goes on and on!

I'm guessing it's satiety. Coconut oil is metabolized easier by the body than other fats because it's mostly a medium chain. My son is supposed to use it because he doesn't metabolize fat. He really dislikes it though.

Side note: most coconut oils are cross contaminated with tree nut or sesame oils. Last I checked, Tropical Traditions was the only cross contamination free brand. I'm mentioning in case some issues might be with cross allergies rather than coconut itself.

Thanks!  We always have trouble finding one that's free of X contamination issues!

Congrats on your success! Can you enlighten me about the bullet proof coffee? 

ETA: I just did a search for bullet proof coffee on the chat board - still trying to wrap my mind around the idea of putting butter or coconut oil in my coffee . . . :tongue_smilie:

hmmm this may have to be something I try.  The endo ruled out cushings but they still can't figure out what is going on causing my weight gain (even when following weight watchers exactly and exercising) and other symptoms.  All they have said is to lose weight and see if it helps.  That's what had me go to the dr in the first place *facepalm* I wasn't losing. at. all.  Time to see if I can order it on amazon.ca since the only coconut oil out here remains liquid all the time and can't really be spread on things lol though it is great for making salve

Can anyone shed light on the reason this would work? Does the fat keep you fuller so you eat less? Does it change your metabolism somehow??

If you lower your carbs a ton, and up your fat (any fat), then your body will switch to burning fat for energy instead of glucose. That's the theory behind South Beach and Atkins. With Atkins, you gradually up your carbs (starting at 20g and adding 5 a week) til you stop losing weight/start gaining, and that's your max carbs.

Fat will keep you fuller, but it also limits the seesawing with carbs/sugars. You have to be at a good amt of carbs for your body, though--too many carbs and you will gain.

So says Atkins/S.Beach, anyway. ;) :D

ELaurie,

Bulletproof coffee is

1 cup hot coffee

1 tablespoon butter

2 tablespoon coconut oil

put all in blender, I blend it on whip setting

it comes out with a little nice foam on top, I often sprinkle cinnamon on top

It is so good and keeps me full for about 3 hours

ELaurie,

Bulletproof coffee is

1 cup hot coffee

1 tablespoon butter

2 tablespoon coconut oil

Oh, wow! Thanks Jeannie. This actually sounds pretty good. If I drink bullet proof coffee can I just skip breakfast all together?  :001_smile:

ELaurie,

Bulletproof coffee is

1 cup hot coffee

1 tablespoon butter

2 tablespoon coconut oil

hmmm I will have to try this.  I love coffee, I might have to give up my dash of creamer to try this one morning

Have to comment on the bp coffee--I was so surprised! I thought it'd be greasy or somehow just taste awful, but it was really pretty good! I added cinnamon. It did, indeed, keep me full!

Wth am I doing wrong?? First, I've blown up the blender twice (hot coffee and melted CO all over) and then it tasted oily. Harrumph.

I haven't tried butter in coffee. I don't think I can go there. :)  I have tried a little bit of coconut oil a few times. It actually tastes pretty good, although oily, but only in a lip -moisturizing way.  It's pretty dry where I am, so it's rather nice. I'm more of an avocado girl.

FWIW, on the bulletproof coffee, I only use unsalted butter (specifically, unsalted grass-fed butter, usually Kerrygold).  I think salted would be yucky.

Bulletproof coffee has been my breakfast for more than a year now.  Right now I do about 2 tablespoons butter with maybe a half a tablespoon coconut oil.  Maybe I should switch that around a little...

so thanks for everyone's posts on here about the oil. Also I love the bulletproof coffee.

I am down almost 30 pounds now, yay.

Is the coffee all you have in the morning? It it absolutely necessary to use the fancy butter?

(Oops - just saw you answered the breakfast question.)

Three cheers for you! (I need to get back to low carb myself.)

hmmm this may have to be something I try.  The endo ruled out cushings but they still can't figure out what is going on causing my weight gain (even when following weight watchers exactly and exercising) and other symptoms.  All they have said is to lose weight and see if it helps.  That's what had me go to the dr in the first place *facepalm* I wasn't losing. at. all.  Time to see if I can order it on amazon.ca since the only coconut oil out here remains liquid all the time and can't really be spread on things lol though it is great for making salve

All coconut oil is liquid at or above 76 degrees Fahrenheit. It becomes solid below that temperature. And for anybody interested, Vitacost brand coconut oil is really good and cheaper than what you can get on Amazon. 

Fyi when you drop your caloric intake below 1200 (the amount you body needs to lay in bed and do nothing all day) your body goes into starvation mode and stores calories as fat because it doesn't know when it will get food again. So that is probably a significant reason you hit a plateau. Kuddos on the weight loss though. Unrefined coconut oil is the best for you.

Susan in TN, I use the Kerrygold unsalted butter when I have it but sometimes I just use whatever unsalted butter  we have in the house.  The coffee seems to me to taste the same no matter which butter I use.  I try and use the Kerrygold since it is from grass fed, pasture cows but actually any butter you want to use should be fine.

I am allergic to coconut oil now. But, it came after I became allergic to 95% of the universe. Ironically, Texas is fine, my allergies to pollen got a lot better with allergy shots, it is just food. Cats are still a problem, but pollen is much better now.

I am allergic to coconut oil now. But, it came after I became allergic to 95% of the universe. Ironically, Texas is fine, my allergies to pollen got a lot better with allergy shots, it is just food. Cats are still a problem, but pollen is much better now.

I can't handle TX.  We had to drive across it once and I ended up in the ER that night, because my allergies were so bad they triggered an asthma attack.  Cats!  I can't even think about cats without my eyes itching.  I won't even go see the show Cats, because I'm certain I'll have some sort of allergic reaction.  ;)  Allergy shots have helped me marginally.  I can now go outside for short periods of time in the spring!  I used to hole up in the house, only leaving when I absolutely had to, and shriek like a banshee if someone left the door open too long.  Awful!

Back to the topic at hand though.  Would any kind of fatty oil work, or is it just coconut?  I can't even make bp coffee, because I abhor coffee.  Figures, right?  I'm not sure if it would work with hot tea.  Just thought is kind of icky.

Have any of those using coconut oil monitored their LDL?  I'd be curious to see how it changed, or didn't, since research there seems to be contradictory.

Coconut oil made my son's cholesterol (LDL) high.They suspected familial high cholesterol given he was in preschool at the time. Hubby and I have good cholesterol levels though, so that was ruled out. We dropped coconut oil, or most of it, and he went to normal. I've seen studies that led me to believe he wasn't the only one who has had this effect. I think individual genetics probably impact people's effects though. 

I have a couple of questions.  First, I just drink regular coffee in the mornings, and don't get hungry until lunchtime, anyway.  So, I might try bulletproof coffee, but probably not.  So, how in the world are you getting enough coconut oil into your day?  I don't eat that much oil in anything, so I can't figure out how to start incorporating it.  I usually drink my coffee with a bit of sugar (or stevia) and half and half.  So, how would bp coffee compare in taste?  It's just always sounded so yucky to me!  But I really just need ideas for getting in the oil each day.

Thanks!

How about making chocolate "bars" out of it? Mix an equal amount of coconut oil and unsweetened cocoa powder. Stir well. Add your sweetener of choice to taste. Add some vanilla, peppermint, whatever else strikes your fancy. Spread it on a piece of parchment or wax paper on a plate and set in the freezer for several minutes. Instant yummy chocolate bar.

I just made me a single serving this morning using a tablespoon each of the coconut oil and cocoa, with a bit of vanilla extract and a packet of stevia. It was really yummy!