Menu

How much do people need to know?

8circles

I promise I'm not just trying to bring drama, this is a real situation that  the few posters who are my FB friends can verify.

Here's the deal:  We are part of a coop at a mega church which we don't attend.  We pay for it so it isn't run by volunteers, but by employees of the church.  There is also a daycare/preschool held in the building, a coffeeshop, a cafe, a bookstore, & a library.  In our state it is legal to carry a concealed weapon (illegal on school grounds but neither the preschool nor the coop qualify as schools legally).  There are also Bible studies held at various times, open to the public. Recently someone came to a Bible study during the same time the coop was in session, carrying a concealed weapon (I'm sure this happens frequently).  She used the restroom and left her loaded weapon in the bathroom stall.  One that is used by the kids in the coop.  It was found by a church staff member and the police was called & nobody got hurt.  The person called later, very apologetic about leaving her handgun & I'm not sure what's being done about it but the police are involved.  

None of the parents were notified that this had happened.  The local news ran a story about the incident almost 2 weeks later and apparently got some facts wrong, but since no parents were aware of it even happening at all, parents were concerned because the news errors made it sound even worse - that the person who left the gun was a teacher at the church and that it was left with the safety OFF.  

There are quite a lot of issues that could be discussed here but right now I'm really only concerned about what kind of communication is reasonable to expect as a coop parent.

Whaddaya think?

I promise I'm not just trying to bring drama, this is a real situation that  the few posters who are my FB friends can verify.

Here's the deal:  We are part of a coop at a mega church which we don't attend.  We pay for it so it isn't run by volunteers, but by employees of the church.  There is also a daycare/preschool held in the building, a coffeeshop, a cafe, a bookstore, & a library.  In our state it is legal to carry a concealed weapon (illegal on school grounds but neither the preschool nor the coop qualify as schools legally).  There are also Bible studies held at various times, open to the public. Recently someone came to a Bible study during the same time the coop was in session, carrying a concealed weapon (I'm sure this happens frequently).  She used the restroom and left her loaded weapon in the bathroom stall.  One that is used by the kids in the coop.  It was found by a church staff member and the police was called & nobody got hurt.  The person called later, very apologetic about leaving her handgun & I'm not sure what's being done about it but the police are involved.  

None of the parents were notified that this had happened.  The local news ran a story about the incident almost 2 weeks later and apparently got some facts wrong, but since no parents were aware of it even happening at all, parents were concerned because the news errors made it sound even worse - that the person who left the gun was a teacher at the church and that it was left with the safety OFF.  

There are quite a lot of issues that could be discussed here but right now I'm really only concerned about what kind of communication is reasonable to expect as a coop parent.

Whaddaya think?

Since it made the news, full disclosure must now be made to all parents. It will sound like too little too late.  In general, I would say that anything that involves the police and the health/safety of students at the school should involve the parents being notified even if not all of the details are initially provided.

Just so you know I was able to google and found the news article about this.  I probably would have informed the parents and told them that the case was being reviewed and proper measures were being taken. It always feels better to hear about a situation from those in charge rather than second hand.   Making it clear that anyone that had further questions could feel free to ask. I am sorry this happened and glad no one was hurt.  Not sure about the laws but is it allowable to ask someone to leave their firearms at home or in their locked vehicle?

It sounds like it was handled properly.  Perhaps people don't assume that a gun can be left anywhere, but the fact is that it can. I suppose since I am a curious person, my ideal would be a short postcard or other type communication saying "On such and such date X happened and the situation is being handled by authorities."  But I'm not sure that absence of an announcement would matter in the grand scheme of things.  Any knowledge at this point is after the fact. 

Not sure about the laws but is it allowable to ask someone to leave their firearms at home or in their locked vehicle?

Well, you can ask anything, but if you ask them to not bring firearms into the building & something happens - shooting or something - and you don't have your weapon to defend yourself then there are apparently liability issues - or if it's posted that weapons aren't allowed (which many churches have chosen to do) & someone brings one in & there's an incident (such as this one) where someone DOES get hurt, there are also liability issues.  So it ain't so simple.

I would be mad not hearing about it from the church. Honestly, I would want to know who it was because I would not feel comfortable with her being near my children if she is that careless with a gun. And I wouldn't trust the church officials judgement in not notifying parents because of course rumor would get out or a new story and things like that get blown out of proportion.what if the news story had said a child found the gun! Why wouldn't parents believe the news since that is the first they are hearing about it.

I'm a big 2A supporter, a concealed carrier myself and I find it not only extremely irresponsible of the person who left the firearm in the bathroom but of the Church/co-op that owns the building for not notifying the parents of the kids in the co-op. I don't know which state this was in, but if it were in mine I would have lost my concealed weapons permit and most likely arrested.

So this is an independent homeschool co-op? And you're paying the church for use of the facilities? Or does the church run the whole thing? What should YOU expect from the church for communication towards the parents?

I can tell you if this happened at our homeschool co-op without an immediate communication to parents and change of policy, I would be pulling out. Most churches here have no gun policies and conceal-carry is not common here though. I would be horrified if my children were there. I'm absolutely shocked that the parents weren't notified.

Well, you can ask anything, but if you ask them to not bring firearms into the building & something happens - shooting or something - and you don't have your weapon to defend yourself then there are apparently liability issues - or if it's posted that weapons aren't allowed (which many churches have chosen to do) & someone brings one in & there's an incident (such as this one) where someone DOES get hurt, there are also liability issues.  So it ain't so simple.

I see thanks for explaining. With all the lawsuits that happen life sure has gotten complicated.

It is basically a public area (even if privately owned) in the sense that it is not exclusively an area for children.  The church did the right thing in notifying the police.  I would want to know what kind of supervision the children have in all public areas because they could find all sorts of things - a purse left with medications, weapons, drugs etc. because I would assume that the church does not require people coming onto their grounds to check their bags or be subject to a search of any kind.  

So this is an independent homeschool co-op? And you're paying the church for use of the facilities? Or does the church run the whole thing? What should YOU expect from the church for communication towards the parents?

I can tell you if this happened at our homeschool co-op without an immediate communication to parents and change of policy, I would be pulling out. Most churches here have no gun policies and conceal-carry is not common here though. I would be horrified if my children were there. I'm absolutely shocked that the parents weren't notified.

It isn't run by volunteers, but by employees of the church.  It is considered a ministry of the church, but we do pay for it.  

CCW is common here & many churches choose to have no-gun policies but this one does not - no-gun policies affect liability & there are pros & cons to each.

How horrible! This is why I hate handguns. You can't assume every one is responsible for them.

I live in a state where it seems half the adults carry weapons, and I can't understand it. I've never felt the need to protect myself. Even in places where weapons are prohibited (school, libraries, etc), I'm sure people bring them anyway. I can't expect my kids to never use a public bathroom.

I would be livid if this situation was not explained to me, because I would want to know what measures are being taken, and I would want to offer my suggestions. Even though this situation could happen anywhere, I would ask the church to provide bathrooms for the coop students that are separate from ones available to the public. And I would ask that the person who left a friggin loaded gun in the bathroom be banned.

Ultimately, I would hope the coop could be moved to a more secure place. I might not trust this coop enough to stay with it, though.

Huge gun supporter myself... and I would have been livid that the parents weren't directly informed. Most/many potty trained children use the restroom alone; what if a young child had found the gun and assumed they were being helpful by picking it up to find its owner?! Not all children are versed in gun safety or not to touch anything resembling a gun.

I am fairly certain there are not any liability issues from not allowing firearms in certain settings.  That argument has been made as a reason against posting no firearms policies, but I have not been able to find any case law showing where this has happened.  I can only find one link discussing that topic and it mentions there is no case law supporting that belief either.

http://workplacelaw.petriestocking.com/?tag=employees-rights-to-carry-weapons

I would not trust any group that had a preschool/daycare and loaded weapons. That's insane. 
We allow it because our insurance would be impacted if we didn't? Not good enough.

It sounds like it was handled properly.

If handling it properly means, they got lucky that a staff member found it, they got lucky that no one got hurt, they got lucky the weapon was not stolen, they did the paperwork of calling the police, and absolutely no other consequence resulted..... then "properly" would not be good enough for me.

It is basically a public area (even if privately owned) in the sense that it is not exclusively an area for children.  The church did the right thing in notifying the police.  I would want to know what kind of supervision the children have in all public areas because they could find all sorts of things - a purse left with medications, weapons, drugs etc. because I would assume that the church does not require people coming onto their grounds to check their bags or be subject to a search of any kind.  

I'm happy with the amount of supervision the kids have during the coop but they are allowed to use the restroom alone.  The restroom involved is not the main restroom they'd have access to, but is occasionally used.  I stay at the church during the coop with other friends with littles for an informal playdate and there are times when my 3 yr-old has run ahead of me on the way to the restroom & has gotten there before me.  

there are definitely other things that could be left & found by accident but none that could be so immediately deadly like a loaded handgun. 

No, there are no such security measures.

I would not trust any group that had a preschool/daycare and loaded weapons. That's insane. 
We allow it because our insurance would be impacted if we didn't? Not good enough.

If handling it properly means, they got lucky that a staff member found it, they got lucky that no one got hurt, they got lucky the weapon was not stolen, they did the paperwork of calling the police, and absolutely no other consequence resulted..... then "properly" would not be good enough for me.

I understand but I think it's trickier than that. The way I understand it, even if they ask people to not bring weapons, they are still legally allowed to bring them.  CCW is still fairly new here & all the nitty-gritty of legalities & liabilities haven't been worked out yet.  So while it could be true, I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt at this point that it isn't purely a selfish decision to not post no-gun signs.  I know that some people who CCW don't take the signs seriously so I'm not even sure what the point is.  There really isn't any way for them to legally & effectively ban weapons on the property except to have security checking everyone at all entrances.  The fact is it's legal in this state.

I agree with your assessment of "properly handled".  I'm not satisfied. 

Huge gun supporter myself... and I would have been livid that the parents weren't directly informed. Most/many potty trained children use the restroom alone; what if a young child had found the gun and assumed they were being helpful by picking it up to find its owner?! Not all children are versed in gun safety or not to touch anything resembling a gun.

I agree.  I am glad that I have the right to carry but I am smart enough to know I can't handle that kind of responsibility.  

My kids have all been taught gun safety - it isn't really optional here IMO.  There is no way in he## I would believe for a second that my first grader would be able to resist touching a gun if he found in unattended in the bathroom.  I can't even be sure about my 3rd grader - I would hope my 5th grader would do the right thing but I couldn't be sure.

I dunno, Momoflaw- your threads are kinds scaring me off of the church that runs your co-op! jk, lol.

LOL - Well, I am concerned & I'm not joking.  I've basically decided that we're out - it's just too many things I can't trust it anymore.  I'm not making it official yet - just in case I'm being rash.  I'm giving it a few more days & then I'll let them know.  The kids will be disappointed but we'll just do more field trips.

I would be apeshit over the not notifying parents about the gun thing. Of course I would be more apeshit that someone prone to leaving their weapon in a public restroom can get a CC permit. Some things are just too stupid for words. Thank goodness nothing bad happened.

I was apeshit.  Now I'm just resigned.  I'm not a people person by nature & this kind of idiocy doesn't help.  

LOL - Well, I am concerned & I'm not joking.  I've basically decided that we're out - it's just too many things I can't trust it anymore.  I'm not making it official yet - just in case I'm being rash.  I'm giving it a few more days & then I'll let them know.  The kids will be disappointed but we'll just do more field trips.

Sounds like at the very least it will save you from a few new grey hairs!

My church does not inform all the parishioners every time an idiot walks into the church, neither does WalMart. My vote is church had no responsibility to notify in this case as flippant gun carrier had nothing to do with the coop.

I think parents should have been informed if only for PR reasons. It sounds much better to have told parents abut the incident from the church's point of view than for parents to hear it on the news afterwards and feel like they were kept out of the loop. Also, a few of the news stories refer to the gun owner as a volunteer teacher. So now parents are wondering if this irresponsible gun owner is their kid's teacher, and that this gun has been easy access the whole time. I think a quick note home the day of the incident would have been appropriate and nipped all speculation in the bud.

My church does not inform all the parishioners every time an idiot walks into the church, neither does WalMart. My vote is church had no responsibility to notify in this case as flippant gun carrier had nothing to do with the coop.

I agree with this.  I don't know that the church has a responsibility to notify everyone of an incident. The gun was apparently NOT found by a child, and while I can see that you might want to know, I don't believe the church is obligated to give that information.  I can think of several other scenarios that have possibly occurred at the church that they've chosen to not notify everyone.

Although I'm not familiar with the other problems you've experienced with the co-op, I think I would mostly want reassurance from the church NOW about why they didn't notify everyone and what they think they may do, or have done, differently.  I don't know that they should do anything differently, but I would at least prefer an honest conversation to get a better idea of their thoughts, now that it's been all over the newspaper. 

It would be reasonable, imo, that the church request that one person to no longer bring her weapon onto church property.  What SHE did in inexcusable. By involving the authorities, I think the church did all that would be expected from them.

I STRONGLY disagree with this if the co-op is regularly using the same bathroom facilities as the general public. When kids are involved, everything should be completely transparent. In particular for a paid program. There is no way this would fly in a public or private school of any other kind without huge backlash.

Even in our Sunday school program, for kids 6 and under, there are bathrooms available in the classrooms that no one else has access to. I think the appropriate policy change and response would be have part of the facility dedicated to just the kid's programming, and lock down that portion of the facility for part of the day. In particular, if kids are dropped off and left. If parents are on site the entire time, it still should be been disclosed so parents could decide if they wanted to start accompanying their children in the halls and restrooms.

In general, if an idiot walks in the front door of our church on a Sunday and the police are called, no not everyone needs to know. I agree with that. We are in an urban church, and that has certainly happened. This is a very different circumstance than that.

ETA - I'm also thinking about this in terms of general security of a group of kids. Could someone just wait in the restroom for a child to show up? I would just think someplace that wasn't disclosing this kind of information pro-actively was not taking security in general seriously. Our co-op has a hall monitor on duty all day watching the door and the rest rooms and reminding kids of our designated boundary lines (we rent space in the basement of a church). I would not be comfortable with the in and out of random adults into our co-op space.

The point isn't that the woman is "an idiot".  Since the world is full of them, this is likely to will happen again, and that is why it should be disclosed. The bathrooms was unsafe, the kids used the bathroom.  If a wanted pedophile was found hanging out in a bathroom stall, but an employee found him instead of a kid so no one got hurt.... I'd want to know if that was the bathroom my kids regularly used. I don't see any difference.  Except the gun was welcomed in the church, and the sex offender would not be.

Not saying guns = evil and bad. But I hope we can all agree that THIS circumstance-- an unattended loaded firearm that could be picked up by a child ---- was very dangerous.

Except the gun was welcomed in the church, and the sex offender would not be.

Not saying guns = evil and bad. But I hope we can all agree that THIS circumstance-- an unattended loaded firearm that could be picked up by a child ---- was very dangerous.

The gun was not welcomed in the church.  They reported it to the police.  Immediately.  I would expect the same for a sex offender if he had broken any laws (for example was in the child wing when he was not supposed to be).  

I would have been seriously pissed if my kid had been there and the church didn't let me know.  When your children are placed in a potentially dangerous situation, even accidentally, you need to know so you can take steps to make sure it doesn't happen again.  And having a loaded, unattended weapon in a place where an unsupervised child might stumble across it is a dangerous situation, period.

I can't believe some people think it's not a big deal.  I just looked through the carry laws for my state, and I'm pretty sure the person would have been arrested and lost her permit.  

I tend to be an under-reactor, if anything.  At first read through, I felt like the church actually handled things ok, because they did call the police.  I felt like the lack of email was an unfortunate oversight.  

The more that I think about it, there is one thing that bothers me.  This was a happy ending that highlights a gaping hole in safety.  The lack of communication seems to indicate that they don't plan on making any changes.  It is unsafe to have bathrooms shared between the co-op and various other groups in the church, for a million reasons.  If this is a drop off program, it needs to be run like a school, even if it isn't officially one.  This isn't just for the kids' safety, it's also for the church's.  

That would be my question.  What changes do they plan on making?  This should be a wake up call. 

The gun was not welcomed in the church.  They reported it to the police.  Immediately.  I would expect the same for a sex offender if he had broken any laws (for example was in the child wing when he was not supposed to be).

I think the actual problem is that un-vetted adults are allowed access to the same spaces as the co-op. That is a huge red flag to me.

The gun was welcome in the church, the act of leaving it unattended was not.

A registered sex offender would not be allowed in that church legally, at least in my state.  No access to places within 1000 ft. of children. 

I think the actual problem is that un-vetted adults are allowed access to the same spaces as the co-op. That is a huge red flag to me.

Exactly.

Also, being a PW, I tend to look at these things from the church's perspective. Sometimes a church desires to provide something great to the community. Usually it's one person who spearheads it, and the elders give their approval. Sometimes, if there is no one overseeing it that has an eye towards administration, big things get missed. The church tries to do something in a mom and pop way, when really they need to shift to a professional approach. Taking on kids is one of those circumstances. Frankly, they may just now be realizing the profound legal and physical responsibility that they've taken on.

I am fairly certain there are not any liability issues from not allowing firearms in certain settings.  That argument has been made as a reason against posting no firearms policies, but I have not been able to find any case law showing where this has happened.  I can only find one link discussing that topic and it mentions there is no case law supporting that belief either.

I was wondering about this, as I'd not heard that argument before. Thanks for doing the research.

I live in a conceal carry state. I assume I'm around people carrying concealed weapons everywhere I go unless their policy is posted at the entrance that people can't bring one in.  That doesn't bother me at all.  What bothers me is that the gun was left unattended by someone.  This is somone who should not be carrying a firearm. I hope there are legal consequences for the person leaving the gun out unattended.

When my older two were prescholers I helped with the summer music camp at my church.  One line in the musical was the joke,"What's the number for 911?" Apparently at lunch time, one of the kids picked up a phone in the office (near the restrooms) and dialed 911, hung up and walked away.  Of course, a police officer showed up.  We let him give all the kids a stern talking to. The director immediately wrote up an explanation to the parents and sent it home with them with her contact information. If the police were called, you explain it to the parents.

Near our local neighborhood public school there were 2 different incidents in the last 10 years where someone in a vehicle tried to abduct a child walking home.   Neither attempt was successful and it was after school hours just off of school property.  The school sent a written explanation with contact infromation for parents who wanted to know more with all the kids and the neighbors filled me in.

Both my hubby and I CC, so I'm not opposed to it. However, I'd be furious to have found out about this incident from the NEWS. We have talked with our kids extensively regarding gun safety, since we own them, but other families may have different beliefs and may not have ever broached the subject. They most definitely should have sent home a letter or email, alerting the parents to the incident, assuring them that everything was fine, but as a general heads up in case anyone felt the need to talk to their child about proper procedures should that ever happen.

You could be totally right - I am admittedly ignorant of this kind of legal stuff - but this is talked about a lot around here and the liability stuff is always mentioned.  Maybe it's pure speculation, IDK.  I would be thrilled if it weren't true.