Menu

Any other Bengal Cat owners here?

MissKNG

On April 4th, we are bringing home our newest family member! His name is Panzer and he is a spotted Bengal kitten.

I am sooo excited about this little guy and I've NEVER been a cat person!! Anyone else here with a Bengal who wants to chat?

Here is some Panzer eye candy:

post-10526-0-60324200-1395608703_thumb.jpg

post-10526-0-52636200-1395608718_thumb.jpg

post-10526-0-60324200-1395608703_thumb.jpg

post-10526-0-52636200-1395608718_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

We looked covetously at the Bengals at the cat show a couple of weeks ago. They are striking. My daughter prefers the Egyptian Mau, because it is the"the first domesticated and only naturally spotted cat" or so she says. I suspect if we ever get a purebred cat dh and I will lose out to her preference even though the Bengals are much more visually impressive cats.

We have a mixed breed from a shelter who is part Bengal (and part Manx, lol, a tailless Bengal is a funny looking critter!) I don't know if his personality is due to the Bengal or if it's just him.

We call him our accidental dog. Honestly, he is the least cat-like cat I have ever seen. Completely ungraceful and undignified. Misses his jumps more often than he lands them. Climbs all over any and every guest who looks at him. And he DROOLS! I didn't even know cats COULD drool! He's one awful strange cat, but we love him, and my husband had originally wanted a dog anyway, so he loves our dopey, clumsy cat-dog :)

On a serious note though, he was desexed early and came to us at about 3 months. He is just over a year old now, and the past couple of months we have had a bit of trouble with him as he goes through what I am calling 'kitty adolescence'. I'm guessing it's the Bengal in him, since I heard Bengals have to be bred 3 generations from the original cross before they can be domesticated. He is displaying a lot of the traits of a male who has not been desexed. Peeing has been a bit of a problem, and he wants to be outside and is quite destructive in the process, even cutting through a flyscreen to escape last month. We also think he has tried some mating behaviors with our female cat which led to a couple of weeks of fighting between them until he settled. It caught us off guard because he had been desexed and we didn't expect any of that dominant aggressive type behavior from him. We got a giant cat gym which he LOVES and has helped a bit with both the destructiveness and the desire to be outside, and other things are helping, the peeing has settled right down (we suspect part of the trigger was my toddler having 'accidents' and him smelling it and needing to mark his territory because he smelt a different 'mark'.  He got a stern... 'talking to' when he peed on her mattress (oh my goodness was that a nightmare and a half to get the cat-pee smell out of! DD slept on the floor for a week as we tried treatment after treatment, but it is completely clean now) but we actually haven't had an incident since that day, and DD has not had any accidents recently, so the timing tells me it isn't coincidence. Most of his peeing was on piles of clothes, he never actually just peed on the floor, always on clothing or, like I said, the bed, so things which may have a toddler urine smell like accident clothes in the laundry, or resemble things which would, since he can't tell the difference between dirty clothes in the laundry and clean clothes waiting to be folded, and I guess he thought he was 'getting there first' with the clean ones or something.)

So, lovely cat, but do be prepared for some male behaviors to pop up because there's still a streak of wildcat in there... other Bengal owners, is his 'dogness' a Bengal thing or is he just weird?

I used to cat sit one while his owner went wine tasting in Italy every summer. Hard life, I know. I agree that he was very wild, but I thought he was very sweet. She had a huge house and he would go hog wild playing in all the space, but he was also a lap cat, a car cat, and would run up to me when I got there like a dog.

I have read a lot about Bengals! Personalities, feeding, care, etc. We have watched countless youtube videos! I know we are in for a "ride" with Panzer but my girls are also ultra high energy with lots of attention demands so I'm hoping they will all tire each other out! lol

I was up at 3am a few nights ago researching cat food again. Took everything back that we bought the previous day and then purchased all new stuff (minus the kitty food the breeder uses). I didn't realize cat food was so complicated!!

Two weeks!! His pet carrier and litter box should arrive this week. We have everything else. His cat tree is taller than DH!

Thank you for your Bengal stories and comments!!

• Like 1

My older dds  have a bengal mix-- he IS more dog than cat!  He loves to play fetch and can follow several commands like 'roll over'.

I must say he is one big HIGH ENERGY kitty-- he is just under a year old and has settled down a tiny bit-- but the 6-8 month old period was very destructive!

He is a light creammy yellowish-beige-- his eyes are amber.  I LOVE his spots!

So, lovely cat, but do be prepared for some male behaviors to pop up because there's still a streak of wildcat in there... other Bengal owners, is his 'dogness' a Bengal thing or is he just weird?

Peeing outside the litter box is more often a sign of a health issue, not a male behavior issue. If you haven't already, you should have him checked out by your vet. He may very well have something going that causes him pain--like a urinary tract infection--that has led to "litter box aversion" because he's learned to associate the litter box with the source of his pain.

My Bengal does have some dog-like behaviors, but no drooling! :)  I think Abyssinians are known for drooling? and dog-like behavior as well.

I have read a lot about Bengals! Personalities, feeding, care, etc. We have watched countless youtube videos! I know we are in for a "ride" with Panzer but my girls are also ultra high energy with lots of attention demands so I'm hoping they will all tire each other out! lol

I was up at 3am a few nights ago researching cat food again. Took everything back that we bought the previous day and then purchased all new stuff (minus the kitty food the breeder uses). I didn't realize cat food was so complicated!!

Two weeks!! His pet carrier and litter box should arrive this week. We have everything else. His cat tree is taller than DH!

Thank you for your Bengal stories and comments!!

You sound just like us when we were researching Bengals! With regard to the bolded: I made the same mistake. So don't think I'm being negative here, but if you don't mind me passing on some advice after a couple years with our Bengal (which of course does not make me an expert, so take it with a grain of salt)...we too thought that a high-energy cat was a good fit for our family. We had one young, energetic boy (at the time; now it's two) and two high-energy dogs. In general, an on-the-go, boisterous household. I didn't want to get a shrinking violet of a cat, one that would hide under the bed for the rest of its life, you know? So we researched, watched all the youtube vids, etc., and decided to go ahead with a Bengal, ignoring the fact that many reputable breeders wouldn't even talk to us, much less place a cat with us, after they found out we had a child under 8.  There are good reasons for that, as we discovered.

So, a couple things I wish someone had told me:  Never, ever play with even a tiny kitty with any part of your body. No fingers, toes, or other dangly appendages. No rough-housing. No getting kitty spun up and running away shrieking, hoping kitty chases. Teach kitty right off that he plays with his toys only--not your person. Actually, go ahead and invest in a lifetime supply of those wand toys and extra attachments now. :laugh:  More importantly, teach the toy rule to your kiddos, and teach them to play with him--with his toys--properly.  Never, ever let the kids pick the cat up and carry him around, and especially if they are going to hug and squeeze him in the process.

Now, we knew most of the above and taught our child how to play and act around the cat, but with an energetic 5-year old in the house, some of it still happened. Five-year olds are not known for their impulse control, KWIM? The problem with the high-energy, excited kid playing with/around the kitty is that the cat will see your children as other kittens. Everything I outlined above will only reinforce this to your cat. Have you ever seen kittens play? It's fun, yeah, but it's rough, and a 10-pound, near full-grown Bengal can and will take a 40-pound child to the ground in a kitty-bear hug with his teeth sunk in their neck. My son has been tackled, scratched, and bit more times than I can count. My cat is not "mean," nor is he overly aggressive; he's young, strong, ridiculously high-energy, and incredibly intelligent. He needs to be able to burn a lot of mental and physical energy. In short, they are typically not family cats (obviously there are exceptions, but like I said, most breeders refused to place a kitten with us when they found out we had a young child).

ETA: Burning off our cat's excess energy by playing with him with his toys (he loves the wand toys with feather attachments and he loves to play fetch with little catnip mice; of course empty cardboard boxes and big paper shopping bags are always hits, too) or taking him for walks outside (on harness and leash) is a MUST every day and really helps with a lot of the problems we have.

Our cat has also caused quite a bit of hardship for our two dogs--60+ pound pit bulls--because he *is* very aggressive toward them. One dog now suffers from some pretty extreme anxiety.

Mine also has IBD, which our breeder later told us was not uncommon in the breed (don't know how true that is).

• Like 3

Great advice, BrookValley! Thanks!

Give us a couple of weeks after Panzer is here and I'll comment back on how things went with us.

One thing I read from several sites is school aged children are a better match with Bengals than toddlers. It looks like your kiddos are younger than mine (big girl will be 8 in May and small girl will be 5.5). I'm very confident in our breeder's reputation and they were very pleased that we stay at home. When we met with them, my small girl actually bonded with Panzer that day!

But again, we will have to see how it goes!!

• Like 1

Great advice, BrookValley! Thanks!

Give us a couple of weeks after Panzer is here and I'll comment back on how things went with us.

One thing I read from several sites is school aged children are a better match with Bengals than toddlers. It looks like your kiddos are younger than mine (big girl will be 8 in May and small girl will be 5.5). I'm very confident in our breeder's reputation and they were very pleased that we stay at home. When we met with them, my small girl actually bonded with Panzer that day!

But again, we will have to see how it goes!!

My oldest is almost 7; he was just about 5 when we brought our cat home. Youngest is one year old. So I don't have any experience with the cat with a toddler, just my older child (youngest isn't a factor--yet!). I think a toddler with a young cat would be a big mess. Since my cat is a little older now, I'm hoping the toddler years aren't too bad. But the worst of my trouble with my cat has been with my son from ages 5 to 7. Yes, staying home is a plus. Wearing kitty out will be priority. lol.  I really hope I don't sound like I'm being a total party pooper, I just wish we'd done a few things differently, that's all. Bengals are really cool cats. You will be amazed at some of the stuff he will do! The general mischief can be pretty entertaining. Ours takes stuff off walls, steals keys and toys and pencils, opens baby-locked cabinets, gets on top of things that look impossible (like the fridge from the ground and the stove hood). He has to be in our business all the time. He's not a lap cat, but he wants to be near us all the time. He gets in the bath--yes, all the way, he'll sit in there and float and chase rubber duckies--with my oldest and gets in the shower with me. (Oh! That reminds me. Don't leave your toilet seat up. If, um, the kids leave anything behind, he will go fishing).

Anyway, they can be tons of fun. And there is nothing cuter than a kitten!!

ETA: My oldest just saw your photos as I scrolled through the thread...now he's saying we need another Bengal. :svengo:   (that's one thing. For all the times this cat has tackled my son, the two are SOUL MATES. The cat is my DS's favorite and vice versa. There is nowhere else that cat would rather be than with my son. You should hear the cat WAIL when DS goes out to play and the cat can see him from the window.)

He will probably love the shelves and cat tree! We have blankets in top of our bookshelves, ours loves that. Bonus if they're near a window. My husband wants to eventually install a bunch of random shelves in our upstairs hallway so he can climb/play/ hang out on them.

Yes, ours is harness trained. He loves to go outside! We started with a small inexpensive harness from PetCo, which he has outgrown. We now have a handmade one; I think my husband bought it off Etsy. This one is nice because it velcros around the shoulders/neck and behind the legs, rather than having to be slid over his head. Makes it a lot easier to convince him to wear it.

• Like 1

You also may want to look into clicker training. Bengals often respond well and it both helps give them an additional outlet for their energy and intelligence and gives an extra means of communication. One of the "dog-like" traits some bengals have is that they can be protective of their family and house, and training gives a language in common that can reassure the animal that "I've got this, stand down". And it's a great outlet for a child's desire to give attention to the cat that doesn't feed into the behaviors you don't want (like the chase games a previous poster described).

They're great cats. But after spending some time in rescue, they're a breed that I wish required a license exam, because invariably, when we'd get one, it was because the owner assumed that cat=cat and that since they'd had a calm, lap cat before that the Bengal was going to be one, too. They wanted a cat that looked like a little leopard, forgetting that there's a big difference between being hundreds of generations removed from the wild and a fully domesticated species and being only a few generations removed.

It sounds like you've done the research, so you're in good shape. Enjoy your new baby!

We have a Bengal! She's my baby, I love her so, so crazy much! 

This morning I attached one of her toys to the back of my pants. She's been chasing me all morning and is now dozing next to me. :)

She's like a toddler. I have to keep her busy, out of trouble, and distract her from bothering the girls while they do school. She takes a nap in class around the same time everyday, and is a bit of a pill before she falls asleep.  :wub: She could use a toy chest! She loves her toys. Likes being up high... Her cat tree has a high "nest" that she likes to lay in.

She likes to curl up in my lap once in awhile.

She loves bonita flakes... LOVES bonita flakes.

She has a cat wheel to run on. She does more of a lazy jog though. 

We also have a Siamese and a Bombay (they all get along.) They're awesome cats, but Lulu is just different. She's more wild, very smart, super social and fun loving... 

• Like 2

He will probably love the shelves and cat tree! We have blankets in top of our bookshelves, ours loves that. Bonus if they're near a window. My husband wants to eventually install a bunch of random shelves in our upstairs hallway so he can climb/play/ hang out on them.

Yes, ours is harness trained. He loves to go outside! We started with a small inexpensive harness from PetCo, which he has outgrown. We now have a handmade one; I think my husband bought it off Etsy. This one is nice because it velcros around the shoulders/neck and behind the legs, rather than having to be slid over his head. Makes it a lot easier to convince him to wear it.

Do you have a link for the Etsy leash? 

Do you have a link for the Etsy leash? 

Mynwood Cat Jackets

Looks like you can order them directly through their website, but they also sell on Etsy and eBay. I didn't realize that they are custom tailored and you provide measurements (my husband had ordered it).

She mentions it on the website, but it is true--this harness is not easily backed out of/escaped from. That was a problem we had with the cheap one from the pet store.

Mynwood Cat Jackets

Looks like you can order them directly through their website, but they also sell on Etsy and eBay. I didn't realize that they are custom tailored and you provide measurements (my husband had ordered it).

She mentions it on the website, but it is true--this harness is not easily backed out of/escaped from. That was a problem we had with the cheap one from the pet store.

Thanks! Yeah, we bought one at a regular pet store and it didn't work at all. 

BrookValley and Helena -

What are you feeding your Bengals? We are starting Panzer on the Royal Canin Kitten since the breeder uses that then transitioning him to Blue Wilderness for dry. For wet, I bought a variety including Blue Wilderness Kitten, Evo and Merrick to see if he likes any in particular and for variety. And of course, meat.

I was feeding everyone Eukanuba for years, but it seems like that is upsetting some stomachs. I'm looking for something new. 

I buy Freshpet Select for them once in awhile. 

Right now we're trying Stella & Chewy's freeze dried food...

And like I said earlier, she loves her Cat-Man Doo Bonita Flakes. :)

I was looking at Bonita Flakes.

Blue Wilderness is highly recommended on the Bengal Cat Forum I am part of. I can't wait to try it cause I like the ingredients better than Royal Canin.

Thanks for the rec

I'll pick some up next time!

• Like 1

Mine has IBD and currently can only eat grain-free, single protein, limited-ingredient kibble. He can't have fish or chicken. So he eats Nature's Variety Limited Ingredient (turkey). He had a pretty nasty flare-up a few weeks ago, though, and I'm considering switching again.

I think we were feeding Evo before his IBD became an issue. I can't remember what the breeder reccimended when we picked him up.

I have two Bengals.  One is a 15 year old male (Dancer) and the other is an almost three year old female (Tink, Tinky, Tinker, Tinkerbell - they were both already named when I got them).  Dancer had a same-age half sister (Zoey) but she died about three years ago and soon after we got Tinky.  I was devastated when Zoey died so I got another one that looked just like her but, boy, her personality is quite different.

They each have their own, very unique, personalty.  Dancer is the most awesome cat ever.  He loves people and has never, ever scratched or bitten anyone on purpose.  When my sons first came home from Russia at 14 and 15.5 months old, Dancer was immediately their buddy (when he felt like it).  He would lay on the floor and scootch forward so his head would be under the ottoman so they wouldn't smash it and then he would let them crawl around and half over him, play with his tail and 'pet' him (they were closely supervised though).  One of my sons was his special buddy.  They would lay next to each other on the floor and my son would suck his thumb while hold Dancer's tail in his other hand. 

So Dancer has always been a real sweetie to people but he would attack Zoey for no reason.  The first few years, when they were young, they played together all the time and slept together and everything.  But at some point he started attacking her for no reason and I never understood what that was all about.  It could have been because she was my shadow and he was jealous.  He has always been the cat who loves and accepts everyone whereas my female Bengals have been more my shadow cats and not so open to others.

Zoe was a sweet kitty to everyone but she did not have any patience or tolerance for the boys when they were little.  I had the cats long before I had the kids.  The cats had been raised in a quiet home with no kids and just little ole me.  First I got married and they both very quickly attached quite nicely to my husband.  No problem there.  Zoe even grew to really like him and would sit on his lap in the evenings.

Then the boys came along and Dancer was happy with more people but Zoe was not too happy about them.  At first it was fine because she could easily get away from them but, as they grew, it was not so good.  They thought it was funny to poke at her and tease her when she was laying on the back of a chair, for instance.  She would fight back and put them in their place a few times.  They quickly learned that they would end up with scratches and bites if they messed with her.  They were 5 when she died so she never really got to a point where she cared for them a whole lot.  I don't think she ever really thought of them as kittens though because she would never really go after them and chase them down but would just defend themselves.

Enter Tinkerbell.  She is a mess!  As much as I have warned the boys and scolded them and grounded them from playing with her to try to prevent it, she does think of them as kittens and will absolutely go after them if they start teasing her.  She went through a biting phase where she would really bite a lot, much more so than Dancer and Zoey ever did.  It took me quite a while to get her to a point where she is sweet to me consistently and I can trust her (most of the time) that she won't bite me. She even licks my fingers when I am petting her now.  BUT, she gets very angry when we go on vacation and then she is a biter again when we get home (to me).  We hire my brother to stay at our house when we are gone but she still is angry with me when we return.  A couple of months ago we had come home from being away somewhere.  I was sitting in my bed with her next to me and was petting her and she was purring and kneading the bed.  I can't remember why but I moved her over a little and she didn't like that so she got up to leave.  As she was walking away from me, still on the bed, she quickly turned around and bit the living daylights out of my arm.  She broke the skin in two places and it immediately started swelling.  By the next morning it was so bad that I had to start antibiotics right away.  We were out of town for two nights last week and she tried to bite me the first night back again but I was ready for it.  She can be so very sweet and playful and is most of the time with the people in our house but she can also turn on a dime, while still purring which is the strangest thing, and very suddenly attack.  The only clue we get when she decides to do this is that the black part of her eye will get really big all of a sudden.  It makes me really sad because I so wanted her to have the sweet personality that Zoey had.  She does love being with me and follows me around a lot though, which Zoey did also and I missed that so much when she died.

The other bad Tinker thing is that from the very beginning she has had this thing for attacking poor old Dancer.  When she was a kitten, I was worried he would hurt her, although he never did.  Now she is big and heavy and he is very thin and light so she can really get him.  All three of my Bengals were indoor cats, although Dancer had always wanted to go outside so badly.  I tried the lease/harness but he was not happy with it and having been outside only made him want to escape the house even more.  He tried to escape every time someone open a door for many years.  We now live in a community that is more in the country, although it is a housing development, and every house has about an acre of land.  I finally decided to let him go out because I knew she had made his life so miserable.  He is the happiest cat in the world when he is outside.  It is really funny to watch him and he has also brought a couple of mice to the house.  He runs all over the place.  We also have a big open area across the street with trees and a pond so he goes over there too.  He seems to be very careful around cars and I hope he stays that way.  He has gotten locked in people's garages twice.  Both times I put out signs and found him, although the first time it took a week and I really thought he was gone for good.  I will miss him when he is gone but I am glad he has had these years to be an indoor/outdoor kitty.  It has really made him a happy guy. 

My one piece of advice is to be very very careful when you change your kitty's food.  Mix the old and new foods and switch her over very carefully and slowly.  A couple of months ago I decided to switch Tinker over to one of those Blue foods (Blue Mountain? can't remember now) because she is over weight, which I have a hard time understanding because Dancer and Zoe had never had this problem.  Anyway, I had switched Dancer's and Zoey's food before and never had a problem, although they went from grain to grain and not to a more heavy protein food so maybe that was the difference.  Anyway, Tinker had a very bad reaction and came close to dying, even though I switched her over somewhat gradually, although clearly not nearly gradually enough.  She was in the hospital for a while before recovering.  I can't remember now exactly what she had but I know her stomach became very painful and she stopped eating.  As she was recovering the vet put her on one of the higher quality grain foods (a different one than I had been using) and I just kept her on it.  So definitely be very very careful when switching your kitty's food.

If I knew how to attach pictures I would include some.  Dancer is a dark cat with black and dark brown spots and green eyes.  Zoey was a snow leopard and she was really beautiful. She had a lot of lighter colors in her coat and a white undercoat and white underneath with lighter brown spots and her eyes were more hazel.  Tinker is really beautiful.  She is also a snow leopard (if you google bengal cat snow leopard you will see similar pics) and she has green eyes. 

When Dancer walks across the yard he looks so wild and almost majestic.  They are really beautiful cats and they really carry themselves differently than other cats (I have had cats all my life - big cat lover here).  I am sure you have already read about them and know they can jump higher and run faster than other cats.  I am still amazed at how fast Dancer can run when he is outside.  He still has a lot of playfulness in him at 15.

Sorry this is so long.  I hope you and your family will love your Bengal and have many fun years with her.

All I know about Bengals is what I've learned from "My Cat from Hell."  They seem like a lot of fun, but I might pre-emptively watch some episodes of the show to learn about possible difficulties and solutions that might arise with them.

He's beautiful.  Have fun!

• 11 months later...

Soooo...it's almost a year later and we are going to bring home ANOTHER Bengal baby boy in April!!!

That's really funny.  I was reading through the thread and was going to post that Bengals are a lot better in pairs.  We got two for the price of one - the initial kitty I picked out turned out to be breeding material and the breeder offered me two different kittens for the same price (she still would have given me the original cat if I had wanted).  So, we have Tony and Cleo.  They are brother and sister and are best friends.  Plus, they keep each other busy.  They have big cat wrestling matches a couple of times a day.  They're not really lap cats, although they are mellowing out with age.  Tony will come and sit at the top of the couch when I'm on it and Cleo will often sit on my lap.  For some reason, she's always loved ds (12) and will sit with him every chance she gets.  He can do anything to her and she still sits with him whereas if I make any move whatsoever she'll jump off me.  

I love my Bengals.  They're great company and they are good conversationalists.  

• Like 2

One of my kittens has some bengal blood I'm told. She's 7 months. Huge cat, amazingly soft coat like velvet, stunning eyes and incredibly sleek looking. She's black with a ghost stripe but with some big white patches under  her chin and tummy which comes from what ever the rest of her genetic make up is. She has a big voice and big personality. Very affectionate and always wanting to be the centre of attention. We have 3 cats and she plays with the other kitten a lot who is the same age and noticeable much smaller. My older cat hates her though. She's too boisterous for him. 

We feed a German high meat content food that I order online (I live in the UK).

• 4 weeks later...