Menu

Outfitting a reception area

2squared

My dh is opening a small one-man legal office, and I am in need of ideas to economically outfit a reception area and conference room.  We are testing the water for 6-12 months, so I don't want to invest a ton in furniture, but I also need it to look respectable.  We're going for the "bare-bones attorney" look.  My husband doesn't plan on seeing clients in his actual office as it will be upstairs.  He will keep clients on the main floor where the reception area, conference room, and bathroom are located.

Where would you look for reception area furniture?  I'm thinking a few chairs and a little table?  We'll stock a corner with toys from home.    I'm thinking of finding a conference type table at Ikea with about four chairs.

What are your thoughts or experiences with this type of endeavor?  Any suggestions or ideas for his launch?  I want this to go well so I can go back home at least PT, but preferably FT!!!!

Well, if you lived in my area, I would take you shopping at my local antique mall where prices are rock bottom and the merchandise beautiful! you could get a couple of small, gorgeous bookcases, two or three antique chairs, an overstuffed chair, side table, and coffee table in mahogany walnut finish for $550.00 or less. We also have a marvelous Salvation Army south of here in an upscale, high income neighborhood and the things the donations are top notch.

Maybe you could find out where the thrift stores in really nice neighborhoods are and see what you can scare up, but also definitely look at Craig's list.

Personal touches, neutral colored drapes with a scarf valance in contrasting color, Kleenex boxes, nice glass bowl of mints on the side table, and some magazines. You could look for donated back issues of National Geographic, Martha Stewart Living, and some regionally appropriate magazine such as Midwest or Southern Living and then get a subscription to US News and World Report and possibly Popular Mechanics.  Silk flower arrangement is always nice and soft classical or jazz playing in the background creates an inviting atmosphere and for those having legal troubles, makes the waiting feel less stressful. Avoid scented products due to the number of individuals with allergies and chemical sensitivities.

in my area-

craigslist does get some nice office furniture on occasion.  there are also used office furniture companies. 

in addition to chairs and small table, i would suggest some type of credenza or small cupboard where things to make clients wait a little more comfortable.  perhaps having coffee/tea/hotchocolate or cups and a water bottle.  (and a basket or such to contain the toys when not in use.)

I wouldn't include toys unless he is a family lawyer.  IMO it looks unprofessional in a law office.

Toys could be kept in a basket in a closet or a cabinet, and brought out only when a child is present. If you stick with more natural materials they will blend in better with the rest of the room. (Wooden blocks, wooden cars, a couple of "people", and some books would satisfy most kids for the short time they are there.)

I agree that second-hand is the way to go, if quality items are available in your area. Craigslist, Freecycle, and the like are worth a look. Word of mouth might work too - let your friends know you are looking, and you may find someone upgrading their dining room (or office!) or buying a new couch and looking to find a good home for the old one. You might also want to look at used office supply stores, and it might be worth pricing rental furniture (though buying second-hand is probably a better choice in the long run.) Start with the bare bones - the basic furniture - then, when you can, add the details that will make it more comfortable.

Leather or pleather furniture that wipes clean for the lobby. Rolling chairs that wipe clean for the conference room. You'll need a table big enough to seat *at least* 6 in the conference room. Court reporter's gear and file gussets take up a bunch of room. If you'll need translators or have any multi-party depos, that could be 12-14 to have adequate space.

Water dispenser and cone cups that can't be set down and left wherever for reception, plus put away cups for using in the conference room. Keurig or coffee maker not publicly accessible because people will take advantage of that but you want to offer it at times.

Don't leave extra supplies in the restroom or they will disappear. Super flushing toilet if possible. Febreze (mildly/no extra scented). Lysol. Lots of Lysol. Wipe everything in public areas down every night.

Coloring books (slice binding and hand out pages or print some) and crayons behind reception desk. I agree I wouldn't keep toys. They'll disappear, get broken, and look messy.

Kleenex! Many boxes. Attorneys tend to make people cry. And you want them in reception for sick people.

Lots of cheap (personalized?) pens and business cards. They get eaten by elves at night.

Good luck!

What is the external setting of your husband's office?  Is he renting a suite in an office park?  Is he in a small office building or is he working out of home renovated into office space?  Any of the above can work I'm sure but I think that to an extent how you furnish needs to fit with your external setting.  My husband's office is in a restored historic home (they have a marker and everything) in our downtown district and he furnished with mostly antiques to go with that.  He does have office equipment which is a bit of a juxtaposition to the period but it actually is kind of cool.  I will also say that my husband doesn't have toys in his reception area.  He does have paper, crayons, and some puzzles hidden away for emergencies but he does mostly corporate law so he doesn't have kids showing up in general.

My dh is opening a small one-man legal office, and I am in need of ideas to economically outfit a reception area and conference room.  We are testing the water for 6-12 months, so I don't want to invest a ton in furniture, but I also need it to look respectable.  We're going for the "bare-bones attorney" look.  My husband doesn't plan on seeing clients in his actual office as it will be upstairs.  He will keep clients on the main floor where the reception area, conference room, and bathroom are located.

Where would you look for reception area furniture?  I'm thinking a few chairs and a little table?  We'll stock a corner with toys from home.    I'm thinking of finding a conference type table at Ikea with about four chairs.

What are your thoughts or experiences with this type of endeavor?  Any suggestions or ideas for his launch?  I want this to go well so I can go back home at least PT, but preferably FT!!!!

Does he have established clients, or is he starting new?  An "Ask the Attorney" day with free advice/help/??? is a good way to get people to check him out.  FInd inexpensive ways to advertise to the community- place an ad in the local high school's musical program, sponsor a youth sports team, have the local town paper write an article about the new business.

Keep the toys in a basket/bin. And make sure they're all washable- and wash them every day. The toys at the dance studio make me wanna hurl they are so nasty! Easy tip: mesh laundry bag, dunk them in the sink to wash/sanitize/rinse, then hang over the sink to drip-dry overnight.

GOOD LUCK!

A nice sound system for some background 'noise'. A counselor my son went to had a white noise machine in the waiting room. It helped mask voices that might leak out of the privacy of a conference.

Other than that, comfortable and CLEAN!

Thank you all for your replies. My dh has rented a small building in our small rural town. It's not glamorous, but it does "fit" the area where we live. He's hoping to attract young families hence the strategically placed toy idea. The small rural firm he came from had a similar setup, and I know the clients appreciated it. We are very rural and don't have a local craigslist, but I will scour places within a few hours of here for used furniture. That's a great idea. I'm making the three hour trek to ikea this weekend to see if I can find some reasonable items there too.

He doesn't have an established client list yet, but we know the other attorney in town doesn't have the capacity to handle all his clients. My dh will be doing contract work for him, and the other attorney expects to turn some clients over. It's a start.

Thanks again for the feedback.

These IKEA chairs are only $18 and come in a variety of colors (including black):

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S99877708/#/S59898265

These are $35 and I think would be nice for a waiting room:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S89835318/#/S39848318

These are $35, again come in several colors and are padded:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S19907441/#/S39907440

These are a little bit more at $59, but look like they might be a little more comfortable?

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60155857/

These side tables are only $10 and I've seen them put together in offices to serve as coffee tables. So, you might want a couple for side tables, then a couple put together as a coffee table?

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50272376/

This is a good size for a conference table, IMO, because you want something wider than a typical dining room table:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S49903880/

Some of the above chairs would also work with the table?

Anyone stupid enough to bring young children to an appt where they are paying $150+++/hr for someone's expert advice . . . is not someone I'd want as a client! 

Personally, there would have to be a sudden dire emergency for me to have ever brought a child to a lawyer's office -- even though I used to take them EVERYWHERE. (Gynecologist, lol . .. ) But, really, our attorneys have generally been 200+/hr, so at $3/min . . . I don't want to spend ANY minutes distracted by kids!!

;)

My mom was a very successful family lawyer. She saw divorce, custody, adoption, education law, etc, cases, and on rare occasion someone brought a child. In those cases, a receptionist would probably try to help entertain it. Any toys/etc were well hidden. Her reception areas were always very luxurious looking. Very spiffy stuffed leather furniture, everything just so, nice wood tables, etc., new stuff every few years so nothing looked worn. I'd guess 10-20k for a seating area for about 6 and a couple side tables. Definitely high end, but that sets my expectations for what a lawyer's office should look like. 

My own (business, not divorce, thank God, lol) lawyer's office is much more modest. I'd say it has seating for a few people and a simple reception desk. More like 2k for the same pieces as Mom's 10-20k stuff. It has a totally different feel, but we live in a more modest community than that where Mom lived.

That said, I think it is helpful in business to make things look as nice as feasible. For whatever reason, people have more confidence in your skills if they think you make a lot of money. And a nice reception area sends the message that you are doing just fine. :) 

Personally, I'd advise very professional, as high-end-appearing as you can get. Easily cleaned.

I just bought a new batch of reception furniture for our vet hospital, and I bought it here: http://www.officefurnitureandseating.com They were very professional, prices seemed very competitive, and everything arrived quickly and in great shape. (A vet hospital has unique needs. I bought "health care vinyl" couch, bench, and over size chair, but that's not what you would want.) I would look at leather couches, love seats, oversize chairs, etc. Things that are easy to wipe down and keep clean, but still feel and look nice. (If I didn't have to worry about dog and cat nails and urine, I'd have gone with leather . . . )

Here's one item to start your browsing with . . . http://www.officefurnitureandseating.com/store/Lounge-Furniture/Mayline-Santa-Cruz-Series-Lounge-Settee-Leather-VCC2-p813.html

I'd be looking at things like that for an atty's office.

Personally, I suggest not going too cheap on reception stuff. Go cheap on his inner office if he won't be having clients in there. IKEA, freecycle, etc is fine for stuff clients don't see. But, I'd be wary of creating a low-end image in the client-serving areas.

FWIW, every client thinks they are spending a fortune at the lawyer's office. You and I know that 100-150/hr is cheap for a lawyer. But, to 99% of people, 100/hr sounds just as bad as 300/hr, and for either end, they will expect and appreciate some luxury while they are paying so much. So, I think you're generally better off charging a bit more and providing what people expect. (Who price shops a lawyer?!)

I'd suggest charging 10/hr more than whatever he is planning on charging, and using that extra 200+/wk to pay for the nicer furniture and some sodas/waters/kleenex/etc. (I personally suggest a $100 dorm fridge stocked with mini-bottles of pop/water/etc. for clients. It doesn't have to be right in their face, but should be handy for staff to offer as needed. Be sure your own kids and staff don't drink it, though, too pricey, lol. Have a DIFFERENT staff fridge stocked for them.)

A few nice framed prints on the walls are a nice touch until/unless you can afford real art. Choose items that enhance the image you want to project. 

Good luck. 

ps. Not to be insulting to the prior poster (sorry!!), but I'd really advise against any of those IKEA options. I love IKEA, but all those items scream public defender or welfare clients to me. If I'm paying 200/hr, I better have something nice to sit on! :)  If I walked into an atty's office that was furnished with anything along those lines, I'd walk right back out and find another atty.

ps. In so far as general advice for the launch, I am sure an important factor in my mom's success was her constant community involvement. Local politics, business womens' associations, charities, arts, etc, etc. She was involved all the time, and knew EVERYONE. She always advised new business people to do that. 

ps. In so far as general advice for the launch, I am sure an important factor in my mom's success was her constant community involvement. Local politics, business womens' associations, charities, arts, etc, etc. She was involved all the time, and knew EVERYONE. She always advised new business people to do that. 

YES! The more and the deeper, the better. Charities, service projects, Rotary club, the chamber of commerce....pick a few and do them well.

For the reception area, you first need to choose if you want it to look contemporary (white, light) or traditional (stuffed upholstery and dark wood). It's very important not to mix the two looks! You know best what will work for your location. If you mix the two looks, you could end up with a hodgepodge of stuff. 

Anyone stupid enough to bring young children to an appt where they are paying $150+++/hr for someone's expert advice . . . is not someone I'd want as a client!  

We brought my son to an attorney appointment when he was six months old. That attorney didn't have a problem with him being there or with earning money by working for us. Smart man.

ps. Not to be insulting to the prior poster (sorry!!), but I'd really advise against any of those IKEA options. I love IKEA, but all those items scream public defender or welfare clients to me. If I'm paying 200/hr, I better have something nice to sit on! :)  If I walked into an atty's office that was furnished with anything along those lines, I'd walk right back out and find another atty.

I guess I have criteria other than decor in mind for an attorney.

To outfit our reception area, I used a variety of places. I used IKEA for the reception desk and a floating credenza. I went a little more modern with these using a high gloss white and white glass desk. I bought "lounge waiting" chairs from Madison Seating. I tried to choose something that was comfortable but easy to sit upright rather than sinking into. We have a range of people to sit in these from jeans to suits. I personally hate sinking chairs when I am in a place of business, especially in "dressier" clothes. I found a nifty side table to go between these chairs with a world map etched on it which relates to our business. I found these really cheap by googling for a "fresh" option. I used a big flower arrangement in a more traditional style from Hobby Lobby when they marked their pre-made vase arrangements down 50%. I used a 40% off coupon for a tree-type greenery and huge wall clock from Hobby Lobby also, both more traditional-style. For reception desk chairs (one behind, two in front) from Madison Seating, and I went a little more eclectic to bridge the gap between the modern and traditional styles. I also bought a very print (just one) for wall that tied all colors together.

All in all if I remember correctly, I spent about $800 on whole area. This paid for a three-section credenza, desk, five chairs, two side tables that nest together, tree, case arrangement, and large framed wall print. We also painted a focal wall a bluish gray with other walls being a shade of gray. We like the colors, they are calming, and it tied into our company colors.

Hope this helps. IMO IKEA furniture can be used (the price rocks) when paired with some other elements that keep it from looking like you went hog wild in IKEA. But then again, IKEA doesn't offend me. :)

ETA: mixing modern and traditional--I have a friend that has great decorating skills. I struggled with my modern desk and credenza (first furniture purchased for area). I didn't want a stark modern area. She went shopping with me and did a great job blending in traditional elements to tone down modern. I wish I had a pic to post. It turned out great.

Well, I didn't see anywhere what her DH was planning on charging.  What she said was "rural," and "very rural" and "young families."  I'm guessing this is not a $200/hour office.

You want to look professional and you want to look capable.  Many people are intimidated by lawyers and lawyers' offices and if you are trying to attract clients I don't think intimidation is the way to go!

I also was a family law attorney and often had people with young children come to the office.  I think it is a great idea to have a small table, maybe with some puzzles or coloring pages for kids.  This can be in the corner of the office.

I think books make a great decorating tool in a law firm (even though we do all our research online these days!)  Maybe you can pick up a set or two of your state codes/law reports from a law library or law firm (doesn't matter if they are a year or two or even five out of date...they are just for show!)

A small area rug warms up a place and makes it looks much nicer IMHO.  As do a few well chosen prints on the walls.  Plants are cheap and make a place seem much more welcoming.

Best of luck to your DH!

These IKEA chairs are only $18 and come in a variety of colors (including black):

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S99877708/#/S59898265

These are $35 and I think would be nice for a waiting room:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S89835318/#/S39848318

These are $35, again come in several colors and are padded:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S19907441/#/S39907440

These are a little bit more at $59, but look like they might be a little more comfortable?

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60155857/

These side tables are only $10 and I've seen them put together in offices to serve as coffee tables. So, you might want a couple for side tables, then a couple put together as a coffee table?

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50272376/

This is a good size for a conference table, IMO, because you want something wider than a typical dining room table:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S49903880/

Some of the above chairs would also work with the table?

I'm sorry to disagree, but that furniture says "cheap cafeteria" to me, not "attorney's waiting room."

At the very least, the chairs should be upholstered, and I think there should be at least some attempt to look professional and successful. I'm not sure what Jennifer means when she talks about a "bare bones" look, but IMO, a professional's office shouldn't look cheap and junky.

I agree with a previous poster who suggested trying to find a used office furniture store. There might even be some nice furniture on eBay.

I can understand not having a fortune to spend on furniture for a new office, but I do think there should be some consideration of the type of image Jennifer's dh wants to project to his potential clients. Like it or not, his professional image matters, and first impressions make a strong impact. A cheap-looking office doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in the mind of a potential client.

Do you have natural light?  If so, I think bringing living things into any space can make it more pleasant and relaxing - just make sure you get things that are appropriate for the level of care and light that will be available.  I think nice planted trees are the ultimate "feel good" space filler. 

I would have a comfortable sofa and chairs in the reception area, with the basic things that pull a space together - rug, wall hangings, etc.  I would have a table and comfortable chairs in the conference room, and not the type of chairs that roll around.  I think you want something there that looks very dignified and that people can sit in for a period of time.  You might want to have a small refrigerator and coffee station somewhere. I would not put a table in chair in the entry room at first - a lot of times the conference room will be free if a client has a lot of paperwork to do.

My DH is a family law attorney in a medium sized firm that primarily caters to small to medium sized business owners.  He has kids come in from time to time.  It is not his favorite, but he is very fond of children, and a lot of his clients are in a perceived or real crisis.  He tries to make things easier for them, and bringing a baby is often best.  Older children who can understand the conversation are not appropriate, and he also would not think it was appropriate to ask female staff to mind children.  That is not the job of paralegals and secretaries, and the assumption that women are always available to drop their work in order to tend to other people's children is part of a "Mad Men" mindset that doesn't work in a modern business setting.  I also think that it could possibly put that staff member at risk legally. 

But he does have people show up with children who are toddlers and younger, and sometimes they can not achieve as much, but they often get through the basics and then follow up in email if they have to cut things a bit short.  He has a wide range of clients - from wealthy business owners to destitute domestic violence victims (usually pro bono) and he would not turn away a woman who showed up with a child. 

If he had his choice, he probably would allow children and absolutely forbid cell phones, lol.  He finds that incredibly disruptive and can not believe the people who will answer a phone in the middle of an important meeting. 

Good luck to you and your husband.  It's really a tough legal business climate out there, but it's great he has someone to do contract work for! 

I know we all say looks shouldn't matter but first impressions with an attorney matter.  Much like the wedding invite sets the tone of the wedding the reception area sets the tone for the attorney.  Even though what I am sitting on should not be a reflection on the attorneys skills it will be a factor if I am walking in off the street. 

That being said, you don't have to go NYC over the top marble and mahogany in a rural area but I would think you want some comfy and luxurious looking chairs. Decide if you want a modern or classic look and go from there.  Antique stores can be a great place to find classic furniture.

I think you've got some good advice about balancing the image you want with your budget. Perhaps a small percentage of clients wouldn't care what your reception area looked like, but most people do get a "first impression" when they walk into a professional's office.

I know you said this is a trial run, but I'd avoid stuff that looks cheap or temporary. And if you go the "previously owned" route, avoid a mismatch of stuff that looks thrown together.

Is there any place you can rent bigger pieces? And then add rugs, plants, wall art?

And another bit of advice...Just don't put your receptionist behind bulletproof glass, ala Saul Goodman. :lol:

I think you've got some good advice about balancing the image you want with your budget. Perhaps a small percentage of clients wouldn't care what your reception area looked like, but most people do get a "first impression" when they walk into a professional's office.

I know you said this is a trial run, but I'd avoid stuff that looks cheap or temporary. And if you go the "previously owned" route, avoid a mismatch of stuff that looks thrown together.

Is there any place you can rent bigger pieces? And then add rugs, plants, wall art?

That's an excellent point about making sure things don't look cheap, temporary, or thrown-together. Even if you're renting the office month-to-month, you don't want it to look that way!

It's better to have a few quality pieces in the waiting room and buy more when you can afford them. Realistically, in a new practice, most of the time there won't be more than one or two people in the waiting room at a time -- and usually, there will be enough time between appointments that no one will be there for more than a few minutes, so you don't need to have 15 chairs in there.

Also, be careful about the toy area. The office really does need to look professional. The families who bring little kids with them (who will probably end up being few and far-between) might like the idea of the toys, but the average adult may just think your dh can't afford a babysitter so he brings his own kids to work with him and they play in the waiting room. Personally, except for pediatrician's offices, I have never seen a play area in a professional office. I don't want to sound mean, but it seems weird and out-of-place to me. It seems like it would give off the vibe of a free clinic rather than an attorney's office.

I guess I have criteria other than decor in mind for an attorney.

I think most people do have criteria in mind for an attorney separate from decor.

However, I'd rather go to an attorney in a safe part of town, in a nice building with appropriate decor rather than an attorney in a bad part of town, in between a bailbondsman and a pawnshop, with chairs bolted to the floor.

There is an ad for an attorney locally that touts "suburban location with on-site parking!" I'm sure that is appealing to people who don't want to drive downtown and fight for parking to go to a lawyer near the court buildings.

I think most people do have criteria in mind for an attorney separate from decor.

However, I'd rather go to an attorney in a safe part of town, in a nice building with appropriate decor rather than an attorney in a bad part of town, in between a bailbondsman and a pawnshop, with chairs bolted to the floor.

Yeah, and if you're the attorney and people are describing the bailbondsman's office as being "the one with the nice furniture," it might be a clue that it's time to redecorate. :D

We brought my son to an attorney appointment when he was six months old. That attorney didn't have a problem with him being there or with earning money by working for us. Smart man.

The attorney charges by the minute. No intelligent attorney would give you any negative feedback on bringing a child. *I'd* just not want to waste any minutes on anything other than giving my full attention to the lawyer. Knowing what I know about lawyer's fees, I make sure to do everything I can to save them time. I prepare and give them clear written notes, very well organized, and I don't spend more than a few moments chatting about anything other than my case. 

That said, our personal (business and real estate) attorney has become a friend and is also a client of ours. We don't charge by the minute at the vet hospital, lol, and so our staff and dh are free to chat -- b/c we are the only people losing money by chatting or being distracted. In fact, in our business, we do have a nicely outfitted kids' corner with vet-pet toys, kid sized vet scrubs and doctor's gowns, and hand out kid-kits (coloring and sticker books) to kids willy nilly. From a business perspective, it is smart to be kid-friendly.

My point was that the need for kid-entertaining materials should be very limited in an attorney's office IME.

The attorney charges by the minute. No intelligent attorney would give you any negative feedback on bringing a child. *I'd* just not want to waste any minutes on anything other than giving my full attention to the lawyer. Knowing what I know about lawyer's fees, I make sure to do everything I can to save them time. I prepare and give them clear written notes, very well organized, and I don't spend more than a few moments chatting about anything other than my case.

That said, our personal (business and real estate) attorney has become a friend and is also a client of ours. We don't charge by the minute at the vet hospital, lol, and so our staff and dh are free to chat -- b/c we are the only people losing money by chatting or being distracted. In fact, in our business, we do have a nicely outfitted kids' corner with vet-pet toys, kid sized vet scrubs and doctor's gowns, and hand out kid-kits (coloring and sticker books) to kids willy nilly. From a business perspective, it is smart to be kid-friendly.

My point was that the need for kid-entertaining materials should be very limited in an attorney's office IME.

Your practice sounds awesome. When my kids were little, they'd have loved those toys.

For what it is worth, location is everything. In my rural, agricultural, nuts and bolts, down to earth, neck of the earth, a lawyer who sets up practice here and displays income by having a lot of expensive things around would not have any clients. That's just how people are. You don't flaunt money. Oh, you might be the dentist that drives a Cadillac escalade, but if your office looks Cadillac, you are toast. Comfortable, quaint, clean, and neat....yes, they like you. High end furniture, artwork on the wall that came from somewhere besides Michael's Crafts or Hobby Lobby, crystal, chandeliers or other expensive lighting, ...pack up and go back to the suburbs because that is considered ostentatious and gaudy, LOL!

We do have some wealthy people here, but they don't make it obvious. Don't assume can decorate lavishly or expensively, but also do not assume you can get away with austerity. I'd be really looking into that local culture to see what will work best.

For what it is worth, location is everything. In my rural, agricultural, nuts and bolts, down to earth, neck of the earth, a lawyer who sets up practice here and displays income by having a lot of expensive things around would not have any clients. That's just how people are. You don't flaunt money. Oh, you might be the dentist that drives a Cadillac escalade, but if your office looks Cadillac, you are toast. Comfortable, quaint, clean, and neat....yes, they like you. High end furniture, artwork on the wall that came from somewhere besides Michael's Crafts or Hobby Lobby, crystal, chandeliers or other expensive lighting, ...pack up and go back to the suburbs because that is considered ostentatious and gaudy, LOL!

We do have some wealthy people here, but they don't make it obvious. Don't assume can decorate lavishly or expensively, but also do not assume you can get away with austerity. I'd be really looking into that local culture to see what will work best.

I was thinking that too.   It really depends on the location for the decor.  

Amen to knowing your clientele. My DH decided to upgrade the firm car after one of his assistants pulled him aside and said his clients were making fun of it. A "shabby" (not really, it was a 7 year old Pilot!) car or office would be a sign that you're not a successful ---> not a good lawyer in this niche. At least it's a business expense! :)

I have these chairs in my conference room:  http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S59004567/#/S29861433

No one can believe they are from Ikea.  I don't tell very often!

My seat covers are in the 'sand' color and the legs are birch.  The covers are removable and washable, so I have two sets and I can swap them in and out.  If I wanted a specific color look, I could buy a set in another color, but I don't like spending that much money when these look professional and are so practical.

This is my conference room table:  http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40184945/

It has three different lengths, making it quite versatile.  It's very heavy and sturdy, but not great for writing on (the surface has a bit of a grain.) 

Mine is the pictured color--brown/black.

I have a black leather Ikea couch in the waiting room, but they don't make it anymore.  I don't like their current couches at all.

I agree, but I don't think anyone has suggested anything ostentatious, showy, or gaudy.

An office can look professional and tasteful without being over-the-top.

No matter where you live, an attorney's office decorated with Ikea stackable chairs pretty much screams "loser" or "ambulance chaser." It's just tacky.

I think Carol's Ikea options are much nicer. They're not expensive, yet they don't look cheap.

But I do understand you about knowing your clientele. I don't think Jennifer has to spend a lot of money on the furniture, but I do think it needs to be coordinated, and be in good shape and of good quality. It's possible to look successful without being flashy.

Your practice sounds awesome. When my kids were little, they'd have loved those toys.

Thank you! Many kids do really enjoy the toys, and many parents appreciate the "kid kits", and the kid being entertained while the parent is dealing with the patient and client is really helpful to the staff. :) 

A popular vet hospital sign is, "Unattended children will be given an espresso and a free puppy." LOL, we've never had to put one up like that, but when we are tempted, we pull out kid kits. :) 

I have these chairs in my conference room:  http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S59004567/#/S29861433

No one can believe they are from Ikea.  I don't tell very often!

My seat covers are in the 'sand' color and the legs are birch.  The covers are removable and washable, so I have two sets and I can swap them in and out.  If I wanted a specific color look, I could buy a set in another color, but I don't like spending that much money when these look professional and are so practical.

This is my conference room table:  http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40184945/

It has three different lengths, making it quite versatile.  It's very heavy and sturdy, but not great for writing on (the surface has a bit of a grain.) 

Mine is the pictured color--brown/black.

I have a black leather Ikea couch in the waiting room, but they don't make it anymore.  I don't like their current couches at all.

Nice choices! Those would work quite well, I think. If the seats have a leather cover option, I'd consider that to avoid the need for frequent laundering. Then again, attorney clients are probably less grimy than dogs and cats. :) Between all the grimy animals and people at work and home, I'm always looking for easy-of-cleaning. At home, I only buy washable fabric covered seating . . . and I buy "dirt colored" covers, lol. At work, everything needs to be disinfectable, which is why I went with the health-care vinyl this most recent purchase. The staff are so happy!

It is important to know your local culture, for sure. 

Thank you all for the many suggestions.  I made a to-do/to-buy list tonight, and we are plowing forward.  We have to move fast since Dh has two clients already.  One who recruited him and one from the other attorney.  Everyone in town tells us that business is going to flock to dh. We aren't mentally ready for a full-time practice, so I hope he isn't that successful quite yet.  :)

And, yes, dh has been advertising the small-town way ever since we moved here last October.  All the business owners in town know him well, and any new family with 5 kids receives instant notariety in a community like ours.

FaithManor's quote pretty much sums up our location: rural, agricultural, down-to-earth. A plush attorney's office or other displays of larger income would not go over well. 

This is my top reception chair contender:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80106253/

I'll be shopping this weekend!

Our lawyer had some beautiful artwork up on the wall and I noticed a very discrete tag under it with the title, the artist's name and the price.  It was for sale!  I asked him how much of it actually sells and he says it goes in phases.  Basically, if his wife picked the pieces it sold, if he did, it didn't. LOL   But, I appreciated that he was allowing local artists to display things in his offices.  He did say, the one bonus was all the local artist started to use him and he never got bored with the artwork.

Thank you all for the many suggestions. I made a to-do/to-buy list tonight, and we are plowing forward. We have to move fast since Dh has two clients already. One who recruited him and one from the other attorney. Everyone in town tells us that business is going to flock to dh. We aren't mentally ready for a full-time practice, so I hope he isn't that successful quite yet. :)

And, yes, dh has been advertising the small-town way ever since we moved here last October. All the business owners in town know him well, and any new family with 5 kids receives instant notariety in a community like ours.

FaithManor's quote pretty much sums up our location: rural, agricultural, down-to-earth. A plush attorney's office or other displays of larger income would not go over well.

This is my top reception chair contender:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80106253/

I'll be shopping this weekend!

I hope the chair is nice when you see it! One thing to consider is to be sure larger people will be able to sit comfortably in whatever chairs you choose. I know it sounds silly, but some chairs are kind of narrow and some clients will be very large, so it's something to think about.

Let us know what you end up getting -- or maybe we'll be able to talk you into posting a photo of the reception area when it's finished. :)

• 4 months later...

Wanted to post a quick update.

We furnished our little office pretty sparingly, but I think it works.  We have a little reception area with two barrel chairs and a chair without arms, a couple end tables, a small reception desk, and a plant.  Dh hung his law degrees and certificates on the walls (FREE!) which he saw the other attorney in town had done as well.  He has a conference room with an old table, five chairs, and a small computer workstation.  He uses the conference room as his office right now.  The office looks decent for the area we live in, and it will work while he his building clientele.  We worried so much about the chairs, but reality is that he hasn't had clients overlap so no one has needed to sit in them.  He has had clients bring their kids, and not only did they use the toys we have in the upstairs, but they asked him to bring our kids to the office to play with their kids during the appointment.  This is as small town rural America as you can get.  :)  

Between office expenses, furniture, and other start-up costs, we have invested a little over $7k in the business since he started in April. This is the first month he will turn a profit, and I think he has a path to keep growing.  I am so excited to see things coming together for him/us.

Ikea is great for a modern lookĂ¢â‚¬Â¦. but to make it work, you need to make sure that the artwork, etc. is all modern so it looks put together.

You don't have to do all individual chairs.  You can pick up one or two leather sofas/loveseats (try Costco too) and then have more typical office chairs as well.

Another option is to look for auctions of office furnishings.  You'd be surprised what you can find cheaply.