Menu

waiting...waiting...waiting......

Elisabet1

:grouphug: Informally listening to kids at school, I'm thinking schools are getting stingier with their $$, both merit aid (which is posted at our school) and financial aid (being talked about currently).

I wonder how much of that is due to getting more foreign students coming in. Those are often full pay. It could be interesting (depressing?) seeing statistics from this year.

Could be. It's just so discouraging - it's not a top tier university by any stretch; it's not even the state's flagship university. Maybe that's why the aid is so pitiful? It just seems like we should be able to afford this place and I hate myself right now for not doing more to steer ds toward schools that offer better aid regardless of the professors who are "courting" him. I know I'm getting off topic now.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could be. It's just so discouraging - it's not a top tier university by any stretch; it's not even the state's flagship university. Maybe that's why the aid is so pitiful? It just seems like we should be able to afford this place and I hate myself right now for not doing more to steer ds toward schools that offer better aid regardless of the professors who are "courting" him. I know I'm getting off topic now.

I see nothing wrong with getting off topic!  There are tons who read these threads and glean from them.  I know I was in that camp for many years.  It's only now that my youngest is graduating that I feel I'm sort of "aging out."

And more :grouphug:.  State schools (at least here in PA) are horrible at giving good aid.

Oddly enough, dd learned about one acceptance through the mail, so now not only is she constantly checking her email but she is the first person to run and get the mail when it arrives.

At least the suspense is numbered in days now instead of in weeks or months!

One of DS's private schools said check your mail, don't expect an e-mail.  So . . . yeah.  I'm listening closely for the mailman every day now. ;)

For us, the state school was not as affordable as the privates due to the paltry merit aid and the fees (not covered by the paltry merit aid). My family has been living here for more than 200 years before it became a state, I went to the flagship and now it is not affordable?  Count me as one frustrated alumni.

Susan  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

I'm not so patiently waiting for financial aid for my second year. The numbers will make a difference in if I'll be able to go full time or have to work full time.

I have sympathy.  I know that when my daughter was a college student that the financial aid offers did not arrive until some time in June.

ETA: I should say this is for rising sophomores through seniors already in college.

Regards,

Kareni

Creekland, Football??? Is that the one where they bounce the ball around and throw it through a hoop, or the one where they hit it with a big stick and catch it with giant mittens? :biggrinjester:

If it weren't for being 4-H leaders and listening to the Spartan/Wolverine rivalry from many sources, we would be just about that bad! :D

Must be genetics....hmmm...you and I and our families seem a lot alike! That said, I do my duty as a volunteer of MSU to raz if possible, Wolverines whenever I get the chance.

My brother is a U of MI fan, and though dd attended U of MI and will be an alumni of the institution, she used to wear "Eat Wolverine. It's and Adkins friendly diet!" Spartan shirts to my brother's house on game day. Cracks me up! He took it good naturedly, LOL.

We need diversions like these this time of year. One boy changes major, another decides to maybe try for a very selective school, rocket team is desperately hoping for a break in wind speeds so they can get their last qualifying flight in the air, everyone is waiting on acceptances, financial aid packages, decisions, decisions, decisions...we should all pat ourselves on the back for not being out of our minds by now! :hurray:

I have sympathy.  I know that when my daughter was a college student that the financial aid offers did not arrive until some time in June.

Regards,

Kareni

My school has been updating their website and I've been unable to find out notification dates until after reading your post. I dug after reading your post because to make decisions for fall I can't wait until June to know. Thankfully, I found they release numbers on April 15th. Whew. 

Creekland, Football??? Is that the one where they bounce the ball around and throw it through a hoop, or the one where they hit it with a big stick and catch it with giant mittens? :biggrinjester:

We need diversions like these this time of year. One boy changes major, another decides to maybe try for a very selective school, rocket team is desperately hoping for a break in wind speeds so they can get their last qualifying flight in the air, everyone is waiting on acceptances, financial aid packages, decisions, decisions, decisions...we should all pat ourselves on the back for not being out of our minds by now! :hurray:

I've been known to mix up my teams/mascots/sports fairly often, and I doubt I could name a single current professional player in any sport, though I MIGHT recognize some if I saw the name.  When one talks about gaps in homeschooling, mine definitely had gaps in sports knowledge...

Diversions are definitely good!  Otherwise here, my mind would be torn between health issues and impending financial aid decisions.  School (my job) and the Hive make great diversions.  Family does too, of course, but there are times when they need to be actually working - what's with that anyway?  Oh yeah, the $5 we spent on MegaMillions the other day didn't exactly prove to be a great investment... Hubby told me we should have gone to MD to buy our ticket.  I suppose he was right... I should have listened to him.  So much for Hive scholarships I'd love to hand out!

Best wishes to all waiting or deciding!

For one of our first dates, my husband invited me over to see a Celtics game.  I made a remark to the effect that I hadn't seen a football game in quite a while.  Turns out that the Celtics are a basketball team.  Oops!  I passed along very few sports genes.

Regards,

Kareni

For one of our first dates, my husband invited me over to see a Celtics game.  I made a remark to the effect that I hadn't seen a football game in quite a while.  Turns out that the Celtics are a basketball team.  Oops!  I passed along very few sports genes.

Regards,

Kareni

Celtic is the football team. (But only if you are in Scotland...)

(That was funny in my head, but I am sure it is losing something on the internet away from my soccer infested world...)

Celtic is the football team. (But only if you are in Scotland...)

(That was funny in my head, but I am sure it is losing something on the internet away from my soccer infested world...)

Nope, that was funny.  I'll have to tell my husband that I was right all along!  (And having a father who was European, I did grow up watching some soccer and ice hockey.)

Regards,

Kareni

The waiting has been making me nuts! I'm not a patient person when it comes to things like this. ;)

We are supposed to hear from Boston University tomorrow.

Ivy "D Day" is the 27th so that could be a really good day or a really bad day at this house.

The rest are supposed to notify by April 1st.

:willy_nilly:

The rest are supposed to notify by April 1st.

:willy_nilly:

One of the schools on which my son is still waiting says admission decisions will be out by April 1. However, he got a letter around the 10th of the month saying that they would begin releasing decisions "mid-March." Do they do these things just to torture us? My son could have been blissfully bopping along, assuming he needed to wait until April with the possibility of being surprised if something arrived early. Instead, he's peering into the mailbox and checking e-mail every day wondering if it might be here now . . . or maybe now.

We have two that are snail mail only. One was to have gone out first-class mail this week, but we don't live particularly close. It's maddening seeing results on CC from people who live closer to the school! G'town is also snail mail only. I am thinking that is the last one we will receive. Historically they have mailed out on Ivy Day. Even more frustrating is that, historically, one cannot tell from the envelope what the decision is - they are ALL small envelopes. Last year on CC, parents were asking about weight - all kinds of crazy things waiting until their kids got home from school!

We have two that are snail mail only. One was to have gone out first-class mail this week, but we don't live particularly close. It's maddening seeing results on CC from people who live closer to the school! G'town is also snail mail only. I am thinking that is the last one we will receive. Historically they have mailed out on Ivy Day. Even more frustrating is that, historically, one cannot tell from the envelope what the decision is - they are ALL small envelopes. Last year on CC, parents were asking about weight - all kinds of crazy things waiting until their kids got home from school!

We're waiting on G'town, too. I want the decisions online! Instant gratification and all that! ;)

Wow - we just saw the financial aid offer from ds's top choice and it doesn't even cover half of what's left after EFC, not that we can afford that anyway. I feel sick. We told ds we would call and see if they'll offer in-state tuition, but even that doesn't put it within reach of what we could manage - not even close.

So sorry to hear that! If it makes you feel better, I can tell you that the Net Cost of Attendance for one of the schools dd18 was admitted to is $50,100.  Per year.  After merit scholarships.  We just had to laugh - there's no way that could ever happen!

We are fortunate that she was admitted to the School of Music at our nearby state school, it seems pretty good,  and we can afford it.  So far, that's her only option.    We'll know more by April 1.

I hope things work out for your son.

We all need dark chocolate covered caramels with sea salt. This helps a lot!

Ok, we are different after all.  This is not even remotely appealing to me.  I guess that means there's a different "fit" for comfort foods too.

Lindt White Chocolate Truffles would work for me (most of the time - I still haven't gotten my sweet tooth back yet). 

So... in the meantime... how about a medium rare lamb chop to snack on?  Or, if that's a bit of trouble, Chick Fil A's waffle fries would do...  Or if I have to choose among what I have at home, an apple would have to suffice.

Last year, youngest's first choice was snail mail only.  The envelope was bright red and arrived with the news on the OUTSIDE.  I thought that was very kind - no horrible moment of opening the envelope, no waiting for any parent that happened to get the mail, easy to distinguish from the rest of the mail. : )

Nan

Last year, youngest's first choice was snail mail only.  The envelope was bright red and arrived with the news on the OUTSIDE.  I thought that was very kind - no horrible moment of opening the envelope, no waiting for any parent that happened to get the mail, easy to distinguish from the rest of the mail. : )

Nan

Agreed.  DS's acceptance from the University of South Carolina arrived in a large envelope with a full color Gamecock on it with a bubble over his head that said "Yes!"

Well, that's one we don't have to wait for any longer. My son got the thin envelope from the University of the Arts in today's mail.

I've told him he will get rejected at least a couple of times. And he had no emotional attachment to UArts, in any case. So, I don't think it will be too much of a disappointment for him.

This leaves one more school and one more program still up in the air.

Oooh, UPS delivered a package from Olin today! :) She was accepted with just over $47,000 in scholarships and grants, which put us below our EFC even. They will bring her out to visit again, and I think we are going to take them up on that.

Now that there's more than one serious offer to consider (U of M and Olin) she is getting stressed. :(

Is that the Olin Engineering school?  How much does it cost? 

EFC ?

All acceptances are in. Now just waiting on the last two financial aid packages. Then the decision will be made. So far, 3 colleges had bad financial aid, 2 have had good. Two are waiting to be heard from.

My daughter actually messed up on the financial aid. Some of these schools would send her offers to apply for additional scholarships. But she kept changing her mind. We would tell her to just apply for the scholarships to keep the doors open. But she refused. For Baylor, she did not go to the Invitation for excellence, did not apply to the Carson Carr-or something like that-scholarship, and said she did not like Baylor anyway, so she did not apply for the Honors College scholarship. I found where you could just tell them to use the essays from the Honors College application for the scholarship app so I actually did that. But since she never got in to it, when I was told we had to put down a deposit and apply for the residential college before she would get the scholarship, I said did not put down the deposit. I have deposits all over the place at universities she said she wants to go to, like UTD and TAMU and UT Austin (UT it is just an application fee for housing). At Trinity, she was offered a couple of scholarship opportunities, which included a non-major music scholarship and a science scholarship. She decided not to apply to either. That package fell short of Austin College's by $6K. Baylor is short by $9K. So in each case, those scholarships could have made the difference. Ut Austin was the only real unworkable one. They gave all loans, not even a work study. So now, we are just waiting on A&M and St Olaf for financial aid. 

All acceptances are in. Now just waiting on the last two financial aid packages. Then the decision will be made. So far, 3 colleges had bad financial aid, 2 have had good. Two are waiting to be heard from.

My daughter actually messed up on the financial aid. Some of these schools would send her offers to apply for additional scholarships. But she kept changing her mind. We would tell her to just apply for the scholarships to keep the doors open. But she refused. For Baylor, she did not go to the Invitation for excellence, did not apply to the Carson Carr-or something like that-scholarship, and said she did not like Baylor anyway, so she did not apply for the Honors College scholarship. I found where you could just tell them to use the essays from the Honors College application for the scholarship app so I actually did that. But since she never got in to it, when I was told we had to put down a deposit and apply for the residential college before she would get the scholarship, I said did not put down the deposit. I have deposits all over the place at universities she said she wants to go to, like UTD and TAMU and UT Austin (UT it is just an application fee for housing). At Trinity, she was offered a couple of scholarship opportunities, which included a non-major music scholarship and a science scholarship. She decided not to apply to either. That package fell short of Austin College's by $6K. Baylor is short by $9K. So in each case, those scholarships could have made the difference. Ut Austin was the only real unworkable one. They gave all loans, not even a work study. So now, we are just waiting on A&M and St Olaf for financial aid. 

Why would you put down so many deposits?   If I'm not mistaken, they're not refundable.

Why would you put down so many deposits?   If I'm not mistaken, they're not refundable.

And I thought colleges weren't allowed to demand deposits prior to May 1 or something like that? Am I wrong?

Edit: Yes, I'm wrong. According to this "Ask the Dean" column, colleges may demand deposits prior to May 1, as long as the deposits are refundable if a student withdraws before that date.

http://www.collegeconfidential.com/dean/archives/can-a-college-ask-for-my-deposit-before-may-1.htm

And I thought colleges weren't allowed to demand deposits prior to May 1 or something like that? Am I wrong?

Edit: Yes, I'm wrong. According to this "Ask the Dean" column, colleges may demand deposits prior to May 1, as long as the deposits are refundable if a student withdraws before that date.

http://www.collegeconfidential.com/dean/archives/can-a-college-ask-for-my-deposit-before-may-1.htm

Thanks Jenny.   I learned something new as I thought none of the deposits are refundable.  This whole college application/admission/rejection/waitlist process is the worst part of homeschooling high school.  I feel totally incompetent and feel that dd would have fared better with better guidance. 

Thanks Jenny.   I learned something new as I thought none of the deposits are refundable.  This whole college application/admission/rejection/waitlist process is the worst part of homeschooling high school.  I feel totally incompetent and feel that dd would have fared better with better guidance. 

Many schools have recently changed on the refundable part.  It's ok if one didn't know that.

Whether one would have been better with guidance or not REALLY depends upon the Guidance Counselor...

Personally, I think sharing, reading, and lurking here (and some on College Confidential) is a bit better than what is offered through many public schools.  I doubt any of my three would have ended up at their colleges if we had just gone with guidance from where I work.  Each has gone to a school that none of the graduates (at my public high school) have gone to before.  Through research of one sort or another, I found the schools for them... and others they considered... based upon what they wanted to do and their fit.  Guidance counselors at school have a heavy workload (at least at our school).  They know certain schools (esp locally), but I don't think they have time to do any personal research of great length for any one student.

I don't think a guidance counselor would have come up with a better list of colleges for her to apply to, as I think dd did a great job, but I do think they'd be better at "packaging".  Her academic and other involvements were/are time consuming and left little time for "playing the game" of showing interest and other things which seem so important to these colleges.

Oldest DS is at a public high school, and I don't think his guidance counselors were helpful at all to him in deciding which schools to apply to or in filling out his part of applications or helping him demonstrate interest.  We did every bit of that ourselves.

The difference I see is that school guidance counselors fairly easily take care of so much of the stuff that is a huge stress for homeschooling moms and dads to handle.  I know it has to be hard for a homeschooling parent to play guidance counselor and prepare and send transcripts, course descriptions and class/school statistics, etc. So from where I stand (with one foot formerly firmly planted in the homeschooling world and one foot currently firmly planted in the public high school world) it seems guidance counselors are more helpful to parents than students.

In a public school, the students get a lot of info from each other as well, so what might seem "common sense" to public school students and parents, might not be considered by homeschooling families.  And yes, I have done a lot of research on all of this, but concentrated mostly on making sure she had the opportunity for a great high school experience and researching schools selection.  I had no idea all that was required after the applications were sent. 

Often, at Big State U's one has to get a housing deposit in ASAP if one wants a primo dorm. Depositing determines your line in the queue. We made three different housing deposits. Two are still in play.

One school did require an enrollment deposit prior to a housing deposit - it was the ONLY one we encountered like that! The enrollment deposit was NOT refundable, though a portion of the housing deposit was. I so wish I had had the ability to auction off my place in line! I signed ds up for housing within 30 minutes of when they opened. He would have had a great spot once the actual choosing began!

There are often questions about the ethics/legitimacy of double depositing. What I have determined is that the issue is with enrollment deposits not housing deposits. What is really *wrong* is doing more than one enrollment deposit for the purpose of that national decision date of May 1. Kids are trying to buy themselves more time to decide. That is a big no-no! In fact, the Common App makes you agree to not double deposit. Because this one big state school required and enrollment deposit before making a housing deposit, and because I didn't want to break any rules, I contacted admissions at one of ds's top Common App schools. I explained the requirement for enrollment prior to housing, etc. etc. The response was it was fine if he made an enrollment deposit at a state school as long as he unenrolled before accepting at their or any other common app institution. Since he already eliminated them, we have already unenrolled him there, but that entire depost was lost. We did get back most of the housing deposit, however.

Is it possible to get used to waiting?

Does lots of practice waiting make you better at waiting?

(Dd sent in her application to a particular school five months ago today, and we are still waiting. If practice makes perfect, we should be professional waiters!)

That is a real test of patience! My son is coming up on the end of his third month of waiting for one school, and we are both SO ready for it to be over. Five months?

Is it possible to get used to waiting?

Does lots of practice waiting make you better at waiting?

(Dd sent in her application to a particular school five months ago today, and we are still waiting. If practice makes perfect, we should be professional waiters!)

So you should be able to give us all tips on how to carry lots of things at once without anything falling or slopping out. : )

Hmm... maybe that isn't so funny, after all.  It sound way too much like keeping track of all the various bits of the scholarship and college application process, and then after that, the enrollment process.

Serve from the left... Clear from the right...

Nan

Today's mail contained two pieces of news and one official confirmation of news my son had already received informally.

- He has been waitlisted at Muhlenberg, which isn't terribly surprising. It is the only sort of reach on his list, academically. And, because the only time he had available to visit was while their campus was closed for spring break, he hasn't shown as much "interest" as we might have wished. He's debating whether he wants to accept a slot on the waitlist. He's genuinely interested in Muhlenberg, but also really anxious to be done and moving on from indecision mode.

- He has been upgraded from the basic music scholarship at Alma to their "distinguished" level, bumping the annual award from $1,000 to $3,000. I'm surprised, because we assumed his best shot at the bigger scholarship would be in dance. So, when he was offered the basic level in that, we resigned ourselves to that lower figure. Alma is still on his very-short-list, but we're waiting to see the full financial package.

- He has been officially accepted to the musical theatre BFA program at LIU-Post. He had gotten an e-mail from the department head not long after his audition saying he should expect it, but getting the official letter was nice.

This just leaves one more program in the wind. So, progress!

We are still waiting for scholarship info from 3 schools, though really only 2 that are likely options.  The orchestra director of one school was kind enough to call ds personally and let him know the dept. scholarship he was awarded, so we have a pretty good idea of what to expect from that school.  Dh called another and they said they are trying to get letters out starting the end of this week.  Another sent an email saying their dept. was not finished making decisions yet and they are hoping to send out info. by April 10th.  That's pushing it just a bit!  :glare:

Good news in today's mail: My son has been awarded a performing arts scholarship of $1,500 per year at the University of Tampa. If my records and calculations are correct, this puts them in the lead in terms of lowest estimated out-of-pocket expenses for us, which is nice since it's also on my son's very short list of favorites.

We are still waiting for scholarship info from 3 schools, though really only 2 that are likely options.  The orchestra director of one school was kind enough to call ds personally and let him know the dept. scholarship he was awarded, so we have a pretty good idea of what to expect from that school.  Dh called another and they said they are trying to get letters out starting the end of this week.  Another sent an email saying their dept. was not finished making decisions yet and they are hoping to send out info. by April 10th.  That's pushing it just a bit!  :glare:

One of DS's schools says they'll send out financial info by mid-April.  Good grief.  As if we haven't waited long enough already . . .

One of DS's schools says they'll send out financial info by mid-April.  Good grief.  As if we haven't waited long enough already . . .

We're in the same boat .....waiting to get that final aid package in the mail. 

Unfortunately, we can't afford #1 choice even after the appeals process (they only gave $2000 more a year which still makes it over 3x EFC amount!) but we're still getting calls from the coaches to attend  - frustrating for my son.

College choice #3 and #4 came in - good financial packets. 

But still waiting on choice #2............. 

Myra

One of DS's schools says they'll send out financial info by mid-April. Good grief. As if we haven't waited long enough already . . .

A professor just called to let him know of the dept. scholarship they are offering. Killing us with their kindness *sigh* - I think one of the professors from the dept. has called ds every week since his audition. Ds knows that without some major financial windfall, that school is not a possibility for us. Dh is calling the financial aid office to see if they will offer in-state tuition or some equivalent tuition break that is not simply an offer to take out $27K in loans. :/

Okay, we now have 5 of 11 decisions: 2 no and 3 yes. Just 6 to go. :]

Now 7 of 11.

"Priority Waitlisted" at Carnegie-Mellon's engineering school (CIT). She had a great interview and all the rest, but her math scores were definitely below their 25th percentile. I wondered what they would do, and I suppose priority waitlist is a gift considering her scores. :) She wanted into their School of Computer Science (and their Institute of Robotics), but there was no way that was happening. :(

Four left...

For us, the state school was not as affordable as the privates due to the paltry merit aid and the fees (not covered by the paltry merit aid). My family has been living here for more than 200 years before it became a state, I went to the flagship and now it is not affordable?  Count me as one frustrated alumni.

Susan  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

Okay, I don't really "like" this post, but it was absolutely true for us that the private schools were much more affordable than the state schools.

And add me to the waiting and waiting list.  Ds, 22, has applied to A college.  Yes, one and only one...so now I am trying to not stalk the postman as we wait to hear whether or not he will go to college in the fall.

Okay, I don't really "like" this post, but it was absolutely true for us that the private schools were much more affordable than the state schools.

And add me to the waiting and waiting list.  Ds, 22, has applied to A college.  Yes, one and only one...so now I am trying to not stalk the postman as we wait to hear whether or not he will go to college in the fall.

I've been there.  Oldest, when he was older, applied to one college.  If he didn't get into that one, he wasn't going to college.  A long series of miracles had to happen.  SO nerve wracking!  Best of luck!

We're in the same boat .....waiting to get that final aid package in the mail. 

Unfortunately, we can't afford #1 choice even after the appeals process (they only gave $2000 more a year which still makes it over 3x EFC amount!) but we're still getting calls from the coaches to attend  - frustrating for my son.

College choice #3 and #4 came in - good financial packets. 

But still waiting on choice #2............. 

Myra

If #3 and #4 are academically the equivalent of or better than #1, it might help if you tell #1 what #3 and #4 have offered.  My son sent a table of his scholarship offers at other universities to his #1 choice (which was close to the most expensive after the help they offered) and they increased their offer.  Good luck!

Nan