Menu

Scary reaction last night to Dayquil or Vicks

Chris in VA

Been stuffy and just yuck for a couple of days. Last night I took a regular dose of Dayquil, and then a little later went to bed. I slept for an hour, then woke up and started panicking.

It was AWFUL. It's like I couldn't stop my thoughts. I didn't want the light off, I was terrified--my throat swelled slightly and I couldn't breathe out of my nose, but it wasn't just that--I very logically knew I was ok, but got so, so scared!

Came down and watched a little TV with ds, tried to go back up and rest, but I was still panicky. I literally held my bible--sometimes that helps me relax. I read and prayed, but finally had to go get dh from the next room (I've been sick so he's been in the guest bedroom) and ask him to lay down with me. He was going to turn off the light (of course) and I burst out crying!

Have you ever had a reaction to meds like that? It was the weirdest thing--I felt like I was going to die.

It did subside after a couple of hours after dh came in with me. I literally did not want to close my eyes.

A few weeks ago I started two different medications (and also had the flu at the same time)... I had my first ever panic attack and several subsequent ones that week. I went over 48 hours with no sleep--I would lay down and my mind just wouldn't stop and my heart would start beating really fast. I couldn't watch my normal Psych episodes on Netflix because people would die and I would think I was going to die.

It was horrible!!! I have no idea what caused it, but I will never (hopefully) take those medicines again!! And I will never think lightly of people having a panic attack or anxiety.

DH and I went on a romantic weekend once. I had a bit of allergy stuff going on, so took Sudafed, then was still stuffy so used a nasal spray. And had alcohol. Then got in the jetted hot tub big enough for two with him. The heat plus meds spiked my blood pressure so high I thought I was going to have a stroke. I could feel ever beat of my pulse in my entire body. It was awful. And SOOOO not sexy/romantic!

I can't take Nyquil because I can't sleep and my mind races. I've only made that mistake twice. Never got to a full-on panic, though. Sorry it made you feel so bad! You might want to get rid of the bottle and also ask your doctor to put it in your chart.

I have it as a reaction to Maxalon (called Reglan in the states) I got one dose in IV at the hospital and had a panic attack bad enough that I almost ripped out the IV and ran out. Didn't make the connection and began taking the pills I was perscribed until two days later when I was so 'out' I was hallucinating and finally did some research online and worked it out.

I had withdrawl symptoms for two weeks after that mess! Scary, scary feeling. 

My younger son had a reaction to a kind of Mucinex that had another medicine in it - he kept crying that there were bugs everywhere - especially on our large wall clock.

Every time I've taken Mucinex I've had horrific nightmares (and let's not think too deeply about how dumb I must be to keep taking medicine that gives me Kafka dreams...). Nothing while I'm awake, thankfully, but I think I'll stay far away from Dayquil.

Perhaps we should just stick to a swig of bourbon?

Every time I've taken Mucinex I've had horrific nightmares (and let's not think too deeply about how dumb I must be to keep taking medicine that gives me Kafka dreams...). Nothing while I'm awake, thankfully, but I think I'll stay far away from Dayquil.

Perhaps we should just stick to a swig of bourbon?

Hot toddies are your friend. ;)

I had a similar reaction to DayQuil in the past and have stayed far away since. It's been a long time, so I don't remember all the details. I do recall feeling my heart race to the point I thought I might faint and being extremely and irrationally anxious.

Haven't had a reaction like that to Dayquil, but my husband has had a similar but even more severe reaction to a common migraine medication.  In fact, it was so bad, that we now list it as an allergy on his medical records.  It isn't really an allergy, just a really terrible emotional reaction.  I don't even know how to describe it to doctors when they ask.

I suffer from panic disorder and have regular attacks like that for no reason. I'm so sorry it happened to you. I haven't had one from medications but it will happen to me if I have a caffeinated beverage.

:grouphug:

I can't take Nyquil because I can't sleep and my mind races.

My dh and ds can't take Nyquil---- they are practically comatose for three days! How odd that it affects different people differently. If I hadn't seen dh's reaction to Nyquil, I would have had an ambulance come for ds when I gave him children's Nyquil years ago.... I couldn't even *wake* him for over 24 hours!! It was scary, but seeing dh do the same thing, and since ds' breathing and pulse were great (and he changed positions while sleeping), I just watched him like a hawk. When he felt better after a few days I told him to never take it again!!

Whoa, that sounds scary.  Glad you are ok.

:iagree:  I would have been terrified. I'm glad you're OK, Chris. :grouphug:

^^yes, very true.

I wasn't having a fast heart beat at all--it was more a mental fear. I have never, ever felt like that. I thought about going to the emergency room, but had a fear that they would give me something to calm down, and it would mean losing control of my ability to breathe. It was just really weird. 

I hope not to ever have it again!