Menu

Amazon Prime shipping question.

Moxie

I ordered 3 things Saturday morning. All three were Prime eligible. I just got an email that my "guaranteed delivery date" is Thursday. That's not 2 days!! I'm going to run out of coffee by then! Normally my stuff arrives in 2 days--am I missing a holiday this week??

That's unusual for Amazon, but technically, that's only a day late.  I think if you order Amazon Prime on a Saturday, it's as though you're ordering it on Monday, which means you should get it on Wednesday.  However, there is a lot of bad weather right now, which can affect mail delivery.

I've been noticing this more lately.  I ordered 7 things a week ago Saturday.  6 were slated for Wednesday delivery, 1 for Thursday.  The Thursday thing shipped on Monday and arrived Thursday.  The other 6 things shipped Tuesday and arrived Wednesday.  It's getting really irritating... the two day shipping times are increasing.  I used to be able to order on Friday and get things on Tuesday at the latest, but now even that is often Wednesday.

Not to brag, lol, but I've noticed the *opposite* happening ... and it's rather disconcerting. Like, I ordered an iPad case for my mother on Thursday evening after 9 pm, and Amazon said it'd come Tuesday, and I thought, "Fine," and then today at her house she had it already! Huh??? It must have come on *Saturday*. And it was just "fulfilled by Amazon," I think, but sold by someone else ... Sometimes I order something in the afternoon and it comes THE NEXT DAY. Almost like that Bugs Bunny cartoon where he puts an order envelope in a mailbox and the delivery truck screeches up :D

Anyway, no weather issues here (unfortunately; we desperately need rain!), AND we're on the West Coast same as Amazon HQ, AND we're near a major metropolitan area ... Maybe that explains it ???

Not to brag, lol, but I've noticed the *opposite* happening ... and it's rather disconcerting. Like, I ordered an iPad case for my mother on Thursday evening after 9 pm, and Amazon said it'd come Tuesday, and I thought, "Fine," and then today at her house she had it already! Huh??? It must have come on *Saturday*. And it was just "fulfilled by Amazon," I think, but sold by someone else ... Sometimes I order something in the afternoon and it comes THE NEXT DAY. Almost like that Bugs Bunny cartoon where he puts an order envelope in a mailbox and the delivery truck screeches up :D

Anyway, no weather issues here (unfortunately; we desperately need rain!), AND we're on the West Coast same as Amazon HQ, AND we're near a major metropolitan area ... Maybe that explains it ???

I've had stuff come faster in the last few months too. I think for me it's because Amazon opened a distribution center less than 100 miles from me. 

I've been disappointed lately because it seems they're using USPS more and more which, in my experience, is not nearly as reliable as UPS. I email customer service any time they miss a date and get shipping refunded.

Maybe it's the availability of what you're ordering that's taking the extra time? Sometimes even though shipping is two days they need an extra day or two to get it out the door.

Beck

I always thought the 2 day shipping was business days, so ordering on Saturday meant the clock would start on Monday.

I know they've had problems with the weather so far this year.  We had an order stuck a few hours from our house for days while everything was shut down due to snow.  I wonder if they're going with "under promise, over deliver" so you can be delighted if you DO get it on Wednesday.

I order a lot from Amazon.

All of my M-TH orders (placed by the time cut-off, which I think is 3:00?) get here in 2 days or less.

All of my late Friday orders get scheduled for Wednesday, as if I had placed them on Monday.

My guess is that late-Friday through Sunday orders are being processed  like late-Monday orders.

Saturday and Sunday aren't counted as business days as per Terms and Conditions, though sometimes orders to get processed and packed anyway, depending on the location.

In the end, most of my stuff arrives "early", anyway.

Amazon used to consider Saturday one of the 2 days in Prime shipping, but no longer does.  Anytime from late Friday onwards, earliest 2 day delivery is Wednesday.

I have used the $3.99 "one day" shipping more than once as a result - a real deal for one day shipping, but still an extra cost I didn't have to bear in my previous 4 years of Prime. 

While a DVD pre-ordered with Prime is usually guaranteed same day delivery as release (usually a Tuesday) - the DVD that shipped Saturday is not promised here until Thursday - simply the weather, folks!  Last time it got this cold our UPS guy simply had to stop. And the US mail didn't come for two days.  Aside from medicine, few things are worth delivering when it is dangerously cold and/or blowing snow is whiting-out major roads. 

If you live where it is warm - odds are your package or mail is still coming from somewhere Frozen (Queen Elsa, stop it already! Go make a snowman for Anna!)

While a DVD pre-ordered with Prime is usually guaranteed same day delivery - the DVD that shipped Saturday is not promised here until Thursday - simply the weather, folks!  Last time it got this cold our UPS guy simply had to stop. And the US mail didn't come for two days.  Aside from medicine, few things are worth delivering when it is dangerously cold and/or blowing snow is whiting-out major roads. 

If you live where it is warm - odds are your package or mail is still coming from somewhere Frozen (Queen Elsa, stop it already! Go make a snowman for Anna!)

As I pointed out in my post above, what I'm experiencing is *not* the weather.  It is Amazon, plain and simple.

7 items ordered on the same day (Saturday morning).  Promised delivery date for 6 of the items:  Wednesday.  The 7th item is promised on Thursday (which isn't 2 day shipping, it's 3 day shipping).  All are Prime Eligible, all are in stock for 2 day deliver.  Trust me--I do most of my non-food shopping on Amazon and have for years--I know what I'm talking about.

All items arrived on their promised dates that appeared after I ordered--the problem was one was promised as 3 day, not 2 day, shipping.  The funny thing was the item promised on Thursday shipped on Monday, and the items promised on Wednesday shipped on Tuesday afternoon.  They could have gotten the Thursday item here in time (which would've been Wednesday by two day shipping)--they didn't.  It wasn't hung up in weather.  It simply was shipped on a slower truck than it should've been.

I get shipping delays due to weather.  I live in Colorado; it happens.  I'm talking about some of my Amazon orders not even giving me a delivery date within the two day window (again, in stock, listed as prime eligible, ordered before the day's cutoff).

As I pointed out in my post above, what I'm experiencing is *not* the weather. It is Amazon, plain and simple.

7 items ordered on the same day (Saturday morning). Promised delivery date for 6 of the items: Wednesday. The 7th item is promised on Thursday (which isn't 2 day shipping, it's 3 day shipping). All are Prime Eligible, all are in stock for 2 day deliver. Trust me--I do most of my non-food shopping on Amazon and have for years--I know what I'm talking about.

All items arrived on their promised dates that appeared after I ordered--the problem was one was promised as 3 day, not 2 day, shipping. The funny thing was the item promised on Thursday shipped on Monday, and the items promised on Wednesday shipped on Tuesday afternoon. They could have gotten the Thursday item here in time (which would've been Wednesday by two day shipping)--they didn't. It wasn't hung up in weather. It simply was shipped on a slower truck than it should've been.

I get shipping delays due to weather. I live in Colorado; it happens. I'm talking about some of my Amazon orders not even giving me a delivery date within the two day window (again, in stock, listed as prime eligible, ordered before the day's cutoff).

Have you emailed amazon customer service to find out what the delays are? My emails are usually returned within the hour.

Beck

Have you emailed amazon customer service to find out what the delays are? My emails are usually returned within the hour.

Beck

I didn't on this order, but the last order I emailed them about (it was for someone's birthday, I think, so I needed the items here in time), their customer service wasn't what I've come to expect (basically told me there was nothing they could do and to email them again after the failed delivery date).  They've set the bar high, and I see it slipping a bit.  I'm assuming it's because of the growth of online shoppers, and I hope they get back to where they once were. 

I would guess it is an issue with stock at the various distribution centers.  If they can ship it from a center close to you, then you get it quicker.  If it is out of stock in that center and they have to ship from across the country, then it will take longer.

This shouldn't matter.  If they promise 2 day delivery with Prime, giving a promised delivery day that is essentially 3 day delivery isn't okay--they aren't doing what they said they'd do when I paid for their service.

In my order referenced above, the 6 items that arrived in the 2 day window (Saturday morning to Wednesday) were shipped from PA to CO.  The 1 item that arrived in the given 3 day window (Saturday morning to Thursday) was shipped from IN to CO.

But that is still frustrating. I want to know the actual delivery day, not an estimate. That should not be hard.

It doesn't frustrate me if something shows up early. To me, the delivery day is the latest I can expect it to arrive, not the only day it could arrive.

It doesn't frustrate me if something shows up early. To me, the delivery day is the latest I can expect it to arrive, not the only day it could arrive.

But, but, but, I need to know if I need to go buy coffee!

First world problems are really tough!!

I ordered a replacement ipad cord on Thursday and was supposed to get it on Saturday, but now it says "package delayed" and I noticed that instead of the next state over from me, where it was, they've shipped it another state further away.  Huh? I think somebody got their wires crossed.  That's not because of bad weather.

Me too-I ordered 3 Prime Eligible things on Wed, got two on Fri, and the other one got an email on Sat saying it would be here by this Wed.

WHAT?!

I hope this doesn't continue-sometimes I have to count on Amazon to get things here in time (like a bday present for kids to take to a bday party) because I have a chronic illness that doesn't allow me to get out sometimes.

I agree with PP-we paid for two-day service.

It goes back to my previous post a couple months ago in the thread where they raised the minimum to $35 for free shipping-my prediction in that thread was that they were pushing everyone to go to Prime, then they would introduce a Prime Premium or something like that where now you have to pay more to get it in two days. I wonder if this recent spate of increased shipping times is an introductory step toward that-they will do this and then start to say if you *really* want it in 2 days, pay for Prime Premium!

I'm not saying this is what it is-it might just be increased usage, or temporary distribution problems, weather, etc.

I just ordered something this morning and it said Thursday delivery. I have never had that happen before. Today is not a holiday like last Monday was, so I don't understand. Frustrating.

Same here.  I ordered 8 items early this morning (because I have learned that items arrive sooner if ordered on Monday morning as opposed to anytime on a Sunday).  I was surprised to see a Thursday delivery date.  All items were in stock and Prime eligible.

I have two Amazon Dist. centers within an hour drive.

I've not tried this, but think I will next time stuff is late and it is obviously not the weather.

http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57615991-285/get-an-extra-month-of-prime-if-amazon-misses-a-delivery-deadline/

This worked for me late last week.  I ordered something Sunday 1/19 and it was guaranteed by Wednesday 1/22. When delivery was pushed back to Friday (it didn't even make it to UPS until Tuesday), I complained.  They tried to placate me and say "give it until Saturday," but I insisted that because it was guaranteed by Wednesday and they shouldn't guarantee if they can't follow through, I should be compensated. So I got the extra month of Prime.  That was the second time this month a delivery was late.  :glare:

I just ordered something this morning and it said Thursday delivery. I have never had that happen before. Today is not a holiday like last Monday was, so I don't understand. Frustrating.

My sister noticed that this morning.  Completely unacceptable! Yet, something I ordered around 5pm last Wednesday, shipped Thursday and was delivered Friday.  What gives? These are all in stock, Prime eligible items!