Menu

Bread bakers- what pans to buy?

plain jane

I'm new to the world of baking bread with a KA mixer.  I'm hoping not to botch too many loaves the first few times.  :unsure:

I don't have any bread pans- what kind would you recommend I get?  I'll be making mostly WW bread and maybe, just maybe venture into the GF realm once I gain some confidence.

I have no idea, as I just use the one that came with my bread machine, but I'll bump your thread so other people can respond. :)

That's all I've ever done too!  I'm going to miss that bread maker!  Sadly, a bread maker loaf is no longer big enough to feed my crew for breakfast and I'm tired of running it 3x per day.  On the bright side, I was able to justify the purchase of my shiny new KA mixer. ;)

I'm not an expert bread baker, but I love my stoneware bread pan from Pampered Chef.

I have stoneware by P.C. too and really like it.  I'm hesitant to buy their bread pans as they are quite spendy and I think I would need 4 or so to get the amount of bread I need.  I'm not sure about spending that much.   :svengo:

Chicago Metallic makes some good, basic bake pans. I like that they're not too dark (so the crust doesn't burn as quickly).

If you're looking to make round loaves, as opposed to, er. loaf-shaped loaves, I'd recommend a baking stone. I know a lot of people swear by their Pampered Chef ones; I don't have one of those, but the cheapy one I got at the hardware store has worked just fine for me.

I would recommend against silicone loaf pans. They get all bulgy so your bread winds up with a really weird shape (and sometimes doesn't cook evenly because of that).

Good luck!

This is really a case where you can't really go wrong IMO. I get glorious loaves from my fancy stone wear pan and my 50 cents well used metal loaf pans from Goodwill. You just have to make good dough, give it the right proofing time and conditions and grease your pans as needed. The dough hook on the KA is fantastic. I am not a fan of the crust from a clear glass loaf pan so I skip those.

I like the loaf pans by USA Pan. They're silver colored metal so the crust doesn't get too dark, and they're nonstick but using food grade silicone not Teflon. You do have to hand wash, but it's a squirt of soap, scrubby scrub w a brush and rinse.

Free form loaves I use my ancient pizza stone.

My favorites are my loaf pans from King Arthur -- they are astoundingly nonstick, and after numerous side-by-side comparisons I am convinced that the ridges do, in fact, help with rising.  That said, I agree with Lucy Stoner that for bread baking, it's not so much about the pan.  My KA pans are great, but my cheapies from the hardware store are just fine, too.

I baked bread in my crock pot the other night. GF Hawaiian Sweet Bread, and it was fantastic. No pan required, just some parchment paper. I do have a Pyrex loaf pan but I don't like it or recommend it.

Will you share your recipe, please? :)

I have basic metal ones from Chicago Metallic that I bought on Amazon. I've also baked on baking stones and in my enameled fake Le Creuset pan.

If you want to make traditional sandwich bread, look for a pullman pan.

Honestly, they've all worked well.

If you live near an ikea I really like this pan, and I put the same amount of dough in there are my other load pans.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90133053/

The whole wheat bread recipe I use (I grind my own wheat). I normally halve the recipe though, we don't go through it so quickly.

http://dealstomeals.blogspot.com/2009/03/my-new-favorite-whole-wheat-bread.html

I do cheap metal pans and they work great. And since they're cheap, I don't mind replacing them when they get too banged up. Glass pans don't brown the bread as well. I love the concept of silicone, but it doesn't hold it's shape and I end up with non-browned, malformed loaves.

I have a 12 inch long bread pan that I LOVE. A regular size bread pan makes slices that are just way too large for us.  My 12 inch pan makes slices that aren't nearly as tall...but we love that.   It's metal, bought from King Arthur about a decade ago...but they're fairly easy to find.   I know lots of folks love their glass pans but I never particularly cared for mine. 

Will you share your recipe, please? :)

http://www.livingwithout.com/recipes/hawaiian_sweet_bread-2561-1.html

I subbed corn starch in place of potato starch, and I used oil and almond milk to make it dairy-free. It's pretty sticky, but wet hands make it easy to shape. I also halved the recipe in case it was terrible; I didn't want to waste all my flour and starch.

While I was mixing the bread, I turned the crockpot on high to warm up a bit, then turned it off when I put the loaf in on a piece of parchment paper. After 20 minutes or so, I turned it back on high for an hour and 40ish minutes (I lost track!). Then I stuck it under the broiler, the only functioning part of my oven, for a couple minutes to brown the top.

I found the crock pot technique on an Artisan Bread in Five Minutes blog, but I can't remember which one right now.

Don't worry about the kind of pan when you start. Most things will work just fine, depending on what kind of bread you are making. I have glass, an enameled pan, and standard Chicago Metallic and they are all fine. 

If you want squarer loaves the Pullman Pans NASDAQ linked too work very well. It's a very long, very square pan with a lid. 

If you have a dutch oven, artisan loaves bake very well in there. You put the dutch oven in the oven while it's warming up (no cover). Then you add the risen dough and cover it. Uncover the last 5-10m for browning.