Menu

How can a kid earn serious cash?

MomOfOneFunOne

AMDG

My daughter would like to earn enough money to join her orchestra on a trip to Ireland.  She initially thought that she wouldn't be able to go so didn't work or anything to save.  Now it turns out that she could but she has missed a lot of time that she could have been saving.  

I offered her the housekeeping job.  I showed her the 49-Point Checklist from MaidPro and she wants to tackle that.  I have my own serious concerns but hope she proves me wrong.  Since we were planning to start the housekeeper in Jan, my daughter get's the job until then.  If she proves herself, she can keep it but it not, it goes to the other girl.  If she does keep that job, it'll be just a little over half of what she would need.

I can also give her little things that can only add up to a small amount, really.

So, she has asked me to ask you.  How can a 14 year old girl earn some serious money? 

One glitch, I don't feel comfortable with her babysitting in strangers' homes.

You put a serious restriction on money a 14 yo can earn. Babysitters where I live make $10/hour plus tips. New Year's Eve would get a premium rate. Additionally, this is a good time to do plant watering and pet care while people take a holiday trip.  Who needs the cat fed. Who wants the mail and newspaper taken in as well as lights turned on and off while they aren't home. Another PP suggested clean other people's homes. These all involve going in other people's homes.

I think babysitting in your home is the best idea with your restriction. I would pass out a flier to neighbors, to your friends and other people who live nearby and offering drop off childcare. I would a put in the suggestion that it was a great way for Mom and Dad to have an afternoon date or go shopping together to prep for holidays.

Could your dd handle planning all day activities for kids during the school break?--This wouldn't get the highest pay rate for babysitting in my area--we have  a lot of school break full day activities, but it might fill a need for someone.

ETA: Maybe she could care for caged animals in your home over the holidays. Be careful how many and the combination of different types.

-Tell extended family (grandparents, aunts, uncles) that she would like money for Christmas, raising funds to go to Ireland

-Pet sit for families in the neighborhood who may be traveling over Christmas (this is how my kids and others make money in this neighborhood)

-I just read The Smartest Kids in the World and one girl in there held a bake sale to raise funds to go to Finland for a year. Does the orchestra have a holiday concert? Ask for permission to hold a bake sale before, during intermission, and after (family may need to help man it).

I would get over the babysitting thing personally, but assuming that is non-negotiable, would you donate to a garage sale she publicizes and staffs?  Perhaps friends and grandparents would donate as well.  If you live in a busy neighborhood, that could be a nice chunk of change.

And I second the pet-sitting.  Do you have a neighborhood FB page?  You could offer her services to neighbors during the holidays.  People around here are always looking for alternatives to boarding their dogs and for something to do with non-boardable pets like fish and birds.

I was going to say babysitting.  My dd makes $10-15 an hour babysitting.  We were also not comfortable with her working in stranger's homes, but she's gotten plenty of jobs working for people in our church or homeschool group.  Now that she's been at this for a couple of years (she's 16 1/2 and started sitting at 14), she has been allowed to take a few jobs that came as referrals (sometimes her friends can't babysit one of their regular families, so they pass along dd's number).  

When she started, all of the booking went through me.  We had a few mishaps with dd booking babysitting, but not knowing how to clarify her rate, and then she didn't get paid well (or at all).  After that, we decided it was best if I handled all of the communication and booking.  That's been passed back to her now, but it helped dh and I to stay firmly involved in every gig.  It also allowed me to screen out jobs that I wasn't comfortable with, without putting dd in the position to have to navigate those conversations.

One glitch, I don't feel comfortable with her babysitting in strangers' homes.

We've only babysat in our neighborhood (walking distance). When babysitting a family in our neighborhood, I visit the home with my dd first before the event is finalized. The night of the job I might consider coming at the beginning and toward the end of the time period so I was there when the parents came back. We haven't done babysitting for people we don't know at all. These are people we see at the pool in the summer, on the playground, walking dogs -- people I have told my kids are actually strangers, but we got to know them for various reasons over time. One of those reasons is babysitting opportunities.

Please clarify the "in strangers' homes". Does that mean pet sitting, dog walking, vacation plant care, and house cleaning are out too.

Depending on the state she may be able to get a job. I started working at a grocery store bagging groceries at 14, the hours were limited since you can't work past 7 on week nights and no more than 20 hours per week. The store still hired 14 year olds last time I was back home.

She can make better money babysitting though and would have more control over the hours.

How about asking a local Walmart or a busy grocery store if it is okay for a small group from the orchestra to set up a table in front of the store and fundraise?

The group -- say, 6 students -- could play a selection of songs -- Christmas songs right now for this season! -- and have an open violin case or other music-related receptical for donations with a big poster asking "help us raise funds for our concert in Ireland".

Also, be sure to have baked goods and hot chocolate for sale. Maybe have 1 extra student as part of the group, and the students rotate performing with being cashier.

Two or three hours for the next 3 Saturdays and Sundays, as part of a small group, and splitting the funds will earn more per student than the $10/hour for babysitting that DD could earn on her own. And DD would be part of a group for safety. And the parents could each volunteer to take one shift of sitting with the students, so not all the parents have to be there for hours each weekend.

What instrument does she play? There may be demand within your homeschool circle for beginner lessons... She could even set it up like a 'trial package' type deal.... pay up front for 8 lessons, for example... and then she would be more sure of the amount of money she would earn.

One of my kids has a pet-sitting business.  He has watched dogs, ducks, hamsters, rabbits, snakes, turtles, lizards, etc.  The other two babysit frequently.  

They also get asked to do all sorts of odd jobs.  One time they all helped out at a child's birthday party - organizing the games and crafts and all.  Another time, they were paid for decorating the outside of a house for Christmas.  They've shoveled snow, mowed lawns, weeded, etc.  They just had to put their names out there as willing to help.  

One time, they were asked by a family on vacation to help them by cleaning their house from top to bottom - including laundry.  That was a great job!  

My kids get paid anywhere from $10 - $15/hour.  Occasionally, they'll get $20/hour!  Sometimes, I want their jobs!!  :P

Babysitting is the primary way younger girls earn money around here.  The going rate is $10 an hour for two kids (a dollar or two less for one, a  dollar or two more for each additional).  On special occasions such as New Years and Valentines Day they can make an extra $20 or $30 for the evening.

What if you met the parents she was babysitting for?  None of my regular sitters parents wanted to meet me but I insisted.  I felt better having met the moms and knowing they were good kids from good families.

One of the high school orchestras around here used to set up gift wrapping tables in Borders (sniff sniff) around Christmas.  Borders supplied the paper and supplies, and the students wrapped gifts for tips while some of them played their instruments.  Gifts getting wrapped + Christmas serenade = big tips.

DD is earning money for a Girl Scout trip to London and Paris in 2015.  Monthly payments started last year.  So far, she's had good luck with teaching Daisy first aid classes, and the ubiquitous cookie sales.  DW also picks up time facilitating at the GS camp, for which the money just goes right back to our trip account.

The great thing about this setup is that GS activities are the source of funds for a GS trip, and everyone benefits.  Translating that to an orchestra trip, how about lessons?  Is your DD at the point where she could help out in something like a Suzuki class, or as a rehearsal assistant, etc.?  Might be a long shot, but I see great satisfaction on this side with DD/DW working within a system for which they already have great passion.

One of the high school orchestras around here used to set up gift wrapping tables in Borders (sniff sniff) around Christmas.  Borders supplied the paper and supplies, and the students wrapped gifts for tips while some of them played their instruments.  Gifts getting wrapped + Christmas serenade = big tips.

Just jogged my admittedly foggy memory.  I had a little brass ensemble in high school to raise money for our UK trip.  We played xmas carols for a buck a minute, and got gigs outside stores (sometimes inside) and whatnot.  It wasn't a huge $ haul, but was major fun.

Are there any school subjects in which she could tutor younger students, or hobbies / crafts she could teach to other kids?

How about a mother's helper, where it might be in someone else's home, but an adult would be there the whole time. i did this as a young teen for a neighbor, she would often use me when she wanted to go shopping as she wasn't comfortable leaving her kids wih a sitter, but needed someone to help with them while she was trying on clothes or something. I also helped at their home when she was cleaning, paying bills, or doing other things around the house that needed more concentration than one generally gets with two toddlers underfoot. :)

Along with pet sitting, there's also dog-walking diring the day for people who work outside the home.

Is there anything she's good at making that she could sell (through you) online (etsy, maybe)?

If she is good at the housecleaning job, check around for small businesses that need their offices cleaned -- it's usually an evening or early morning gig, but there's work out there. Depending on what kind of area you live in -- if there's a walkable or bike-able "downtown" she could offer lunch/coffee delivery or errand-running for offices too. Might work at a mall or shopping center too, but she'd probably have to be careful to fly under the radar if it's a centrally managed property like an enclosed mall.

Although you'd think after years of deposits on soda cans this wouldn't be lucrative anymore, it still is.  I know several kids (younger than her) who make an unbelievable amount of money fishing cans out of the garbage for their deposit, picking them up on the sidewalk and in parks, etc.  Some businesses (gyms) will even let you set out a bin for them, as long as you're willing to empty it when necessary.

Do you have a research hospital near you?  Kids around here can sometimes join psych or health studies for money - nothing dangerous - there was one that was here that someone I knew did where they did a brain scan and you filled out a questionnaire and met with the researcher.  I can't even remember what it was for.  Or they can sign up to become pretend patients for the medical students.  But this situation may be unique - all the opportunities I know of for these are associated with a large research facility that happens to be near us.  They often specifically recruit homeschoolers here because of our schedules so while we haven't done this, I know of a lot of kids who have.

Another way is sometimes kids can do market research.  Again, you sign up and if there happens to be a product being tested for her specific demographic, then she gets to go spend a few hours evaluating it and commenting and walks out with what is sometimes a lot of money.  I've know of kids doing these getting a couple hundred dollars (and a toy, but that was younger kids).  But, again, this is probably dependent of being in a pretty urban area.

One girl in our neighborhood hosts a "child craft day" at her house--especially on a day before Christmas when parents want to wrap gifts, do some last-minute shopping, or other activities.  Kids are dropped off at a particular time, play some outdoor games, do a few crafts, are fed a simple lunch (or bring their own lunch) and then are all picked up at the same time--somewhat like a parents day out.  

You put a serious restriction on money a 14 yo can earn. Babysitters where I live make $10/hour plus tips. New Year's Eve would get a premium rate. Additionally, this is a good time to do plant watering and pet care while people take a holiday trip.  Who needs the cat fed. Who wants the mail and newspaper taken in as well as lights turned on and off while they aren't home. Another PP suggested clean other people's homes. These all involve going in other people's homes.

Agreed. Additionally, I require my sitters sit in my home. Now, I wouldn't hire a 14 year old (they have to have a license to sit for me), but we pay sitters $15+ an hour.

I wouldn't be comfortable having my child sat for in another person's home, and with parents/other adults that I didn't know well (and didn't know if there would be visitors, etc).