Menu

Would You Bother Replacing Expensive Serving Dish You Only Use 1-3x/Year?

Crimson Wife

I realized yesterday that I couldn't find the covered casserole dish that I normally put my mashed potatoes in on holidays. I checked everywhere so I suspect it may have gotten broken, though no one has 'fessed up to doing so. I only use it max 3 times per year and it costs $110 to replace (it's this one: http://www.mikasa.com/serving-bowls/french-countryside/covered-casserole/F9000-764.html).

My parents were asking me yesterday what I wanted for Christmas and it's in the right price range (previous years I've gotten a Keurig, basic smartphone, a Shark steam mop, etc.) But those things I use frequently, whereas the casserole dish I wouldn't.

WWYD? Would you get the matching serving dish so that your holiday table looks nice? Or would you let practicality win out?

I would only ask for a replacement if that is what I really wanted. If there was another gift in that price range that I was more interested in, I would let it go. Holiday table appearance is not super high on my priority list. I want things to look pleasant and attractive but am not super concerned about every detail. Another serving bowl would be just fine.

No, but I also don't own any dishes that are used that rarely. But if I had a place to store it, and it mattered to me to have the serving dishes just right, and there wasn't something else I'd already thought of for Christmas, then I think this is a great chance to replace the dish. I'd probably go with my first reaction when I found out the dish was missing- that would probably tell me how much I cared about it.

That's a tough one. I happen to love the Mikasa Antique White & French Countryside patterns so that's a factor. If a pretty table is important to your overall dining/hosting experience and it's something you want I would say yes, go for it, no matter the 3 x a year aspect. You'd be really happy on those 3x and that's something, particularly if you enjoy hosting! On the other hand if there is something you'd prefer, while not negating your wish to replace the item, then I'd let it go.

No, but I also don't own any dishes that are used that rarely. But if I had a place to store it, and it mattered to me to have the serving dishes just right, and there wasn't something else I'd already thought of for Christmas, then I think this is a great chance to replace the dish. I'd probably go with my first reaction when I found out the dish was missing- that would probably tell me how much I cared about it.

It irked me that there was a mismatched serving dish on my table yesterday (especially since it was an everyday casserole dish). I'm a bit OCD that way. Before the economy tanked, I would've replaced it without a second thought because I like having everything look nice on the table for holiday meals.

Maybe I'll hit up the home consignment shop and discount stores like Ross & TJ Maxx to see if I can find something cheaper that would look okay.

It irked me that there was a mismatched serving dish on my table yesterday (especially since it was an everyday casserole dish). I'm a bit OCD that way. Before the economy tanked, I would've replaced it without a second thought because I like having everything look nice on the table for holiday meals.

Maybe I'll hit up the home consignment shop and discount stores like Ross & TJ Maxx to see if I can find something cheaper that would look okay.

I wouldn't replace it. I have eclectic serving dishes, my original white pfaltzgraph, fiesta ware, and other serving plates and dishes that I have picked up at Home Goods. None of it matches but it all looks good together.

At this point in my life, I would not replace it.  

However, if my children were older and we were in a better financial place, then I absolutely would want to replace it.  Right now, I'm too practical to have it replaced, but I would definitely want it and like I said, several years from now, I totally would, even if I had to foot the bill myself. 

I think if you really want it, then you should ask for it.  I'm sorry it was broken/lost.

That's gorgeous, but I probably wouldn't replace it unless I felt I really, really needed it.  My entire set of china is in a box in the closet under the stairs.  I haven't used it in over 2 years.  If I could go back, I never would have registered for it when we got married.  I have serving pieces that still have the tag on them.  

We did use the serving pieces to my tansferware yesterday, though it's in all different colors and patterns, which I love.

It sounds as thought not having this dish is stressful to you. If you think you will look at your table for years to come and think of the missing dish -- and that is what it sounds like to me -- I would say that you should replace it. Searching for an almost-as-good-as piece probably would not fit the bill. My vote is to get the replacement and not stress out.

(And I say this as one who sets a Thanksgiving table with mismatched (well, almost matched) turkey shaped serving dishes, gravy boats and tureens.)

I would replace it. However, I use my good dishes more often than 1-3 times a year. I host dinners probably once a month. Depending on the occasion, I either use my good china, my hand thrown pottery pieces, or my cheap, fun dishes, of which I have a few different sets. I love having a coordinating table, and I love entertaining. My parents often get me dishes for Christmas. 

I'm asking this in all seriousness...are you saying that every dish you served yesterday was in the same pattern of china?  Wow- when we go all out, we have a lot of different side dishes for a holiday meal and having matching china would be quite an investment. Some things bake in a casserole pan- dressing, sweet potato souffle, etc. So you have enough of your china pattern to accommodate all that, or do you only serve a few things?

Feeling pretty dumb that I've reached this advanced age without even knowing this was common.  In our circles, the dinner plates and a serving platter and *maybe* two or three bowls and a gravy boat are all I've ever seen on one table. 

If it stresses you, definitely replace it!

I'm asking this in all seriousness...are you saying that every dish you served yesterday was in the same pattern of china?  Wow- when we go all out, we have a lot of different side dishes for a holiday meal and having matching china would be quite an investment. Some things bake in a casserole pan- dressing, sweet potato souffle, etc. So you have enough of your china pattern to accommodate all that, or do you only serve a few things?

All my serving pieces are Mikasa French Countryside except for the gravy boat, butter dish, and the salt & pepper shakers, which are crystal. The dishes are family heirlooms and it would've been cost-prohibitive to try to get the serving pieces in that pattern as it hasn't been manufactured in decades. The Mikasa serveware looked fine next to the china so that's what I registered for when I got married.

I know that if I don't replace the casserole dish, it's going to bug me every holiday dinner. The question is whether the annoyance is worth this year's Christmas gift to remedy.

I'm asking this in all seriousness...are you saying that every dish you served yesterday was in the same pattern of china? Wow- when we go all out, we have a lot of different side dishes for a holiday meal and having matching china would be quite an investment. Some things bake in a casserole pan- dressing, sweet potato souffle, etc. So you have enough of your china pattern to accommodate all that, or do you only serve a few things?

Feeling pretty dumb that I've reached this advanced age without even knowing this was common. In our circles, the dinner plates and a serving platter and *maybe* two or three bowls and a gravy boat are all I've ever seen on one table.

If it stresses you, definitely replace it!

When I set a dinner table, all of the pieces either match or coordinate. That is how I grew up. That is how my parents grew up. Yes, I have enough of my china pattern (and my everyday dishes, too) to accommodate a large family holiday. I really don't find that odd at all.

All my serving pieces are Mikasa French Countryside except for the gravy boat, butter dish, and the salt & pepper shakers, which are crystal. The dishes are family heirlooms and it would've been cost-prohibitive to try to get the serving pieces in that pattern as it hasn't been manufactured in decades. The Mikasa serveware looked fine next to the china so that's what I registered for when I got married.

I know that if I don't replace the casserole dish, it's going to bug me every holiday dinner. The question is whether the annoyance is worth this year's Christmas gift to remedy.

Still, I'm impressed that your table coordinates!    

I know department stores put their china/serving pieces on sale at a deep discount several times a year- I'd probably be inclined to buy my own replacement when it goes on sale and enjoy receiving a Christmas gift that's more fun. 

Then again,  doing that means you probably won't have your replacement in time for Christmas, which will bug you. If my table ever coordinated that much, having one crucial piece missing would drive me crazy. 

When I set a dinner table, all of the pieces either match or coordinate. That is how I grew up. That is how my parents grew up. Yes, I have enough of my china pattern (and my everyday dishes, too) to accommodate a large family holiday. I really don't find that odd at all.

I'm sorry- I didn't mean to offend- I don't think it's odd in the 'wow, that's weird' way.   I was just unaware.  Our grandparents had china cabinets with good china but none of our friends do.  We're lucky to have accumulated enough Fiesta to pull of Thanksgiving for 9 yesterday. 

If you expect to get the dish someday, I suggest getting it now. You'll get more use out of it. Also I'd be concerned about them retiring the pattern. I have Mikasa for my everyday China and stemware and both have been retired so I have to pay through the nose for replacement pieces.

I say don't replace it...because as soon as you do, the original one will turn up!

But...if it is really, truly gone, and you love your coordinated table, then replace it.

That's what happened to our cast iron pan. We went through 2 moves and couldn't find it. Bought another one. And now we have two. ERG.

Since it will annoy you, then I think I'd get it for the holiday gift unless you are so tight on $$ that you will really feel the pinch of whatever other $100ish item you are missing out on. It's a nice gift; each year, you'll have a positive remembrance of the giver, which is more than you can say for most gifts.

I have often chosen le Crueset pieces for my holiday gifts. Heck, couple years ago, I wanted a soup pot so dearly that I had BOTH dh and my mom give it to me. (It was like $300.) Now I have the world's greatest soup pot, AND, better yet, every time I use it or see it on the shelf, I have warm happy feelings of holiday love from my dh and my mom. 

So, yes, I vote for getting it.

If you don't get it, then I'd suggest, instead of trying to approximate the item from TJ Maxx or whatever, instead, get a practical and functional similar item that you would use on a regular basis -- say white Corningware or similar -- that way you'll get lots of use out of it, but it'd blend fairly well with your pretty table at holidays.

• 3 weeks later...

Guess what turned up today while I was cleaning up for Christmas? Yep, the missing serving dish. It in a rarely used drawer that I could've sworn I checked but obviously not well enough.

Good thing I didn't wind up asking for a replacement for Christmas after all!

Woohoo!

Yay for a pretty table!

Merry Christmas, Crimson Mom!!!