Menu

If you could make a THEMED Christmas tree (or if you have one already) what is it?

unsinkable

My mother used to do themed trees when I was growing up.

Some of her themes:

bird nests--- she had a tree with birds nests and little fake birds on the branches, the tree was wrapped in ribbon and springs of some type of frosted fake berries

All red-- the ornaments and ribbons-- everything was red and the wrapping paper was red foil.

teddy bear--- she had stuffed bears all over the tree.

Honestly I hated them because we weren't allowed to help decorate or touch the tree afterwards--- but they were beautiful

My mother used to do themed trees when I was growing up.

Some of her themes:

bird nests--- she had a tree with birds nests and little fake birds on the branches, the tree was wrapped in ribbon and springs of some type of frosted fake berries

All red-- the ornaments and ribbons-- everything was red and the wrapping paper was red foil.

teddy bear--- she had stuffed bears all over the tree.

Honestly I hated them because we weren't allowed to help decorate or touch the tree afterwards--- but they were beautiful

Sounds like my mil...dh had never decorated a tree until we met!

We don't do themes but I think a second vintage tree would be fun...my gm had a metal tree that spun while different colored lights shown on it.

At one point, I was trying to make ours sort of themed.  I wanted it to be all copper stuff - coppery balls, copper bows - along with all books.  I collected lots of tiny books and made little books.  But then kids came along and they made their own ornaments.  And we had other homemade ornaments.  And I inherited ornaments and...  Well, I'm good with the little bit of everything tree.  It still has a lot of little books.

I like the idea of a bird-themed tree. A bit Portlandia to put a bird on it, maybe, but I don't care. I like birds.

Someday I'm going to have my white-lights-only tree. I'm outnumbered by the Bright Colors Are Better coalition, but someday I'll get my way. I tell you, it isn't easy to be a red-disliking person at Christmastime. I know. Poor, poor me. Are the tears of pity flowing freely?

I'm considering something like this one.

dalek_christmas_tree_01.jpg

My guys would love this!!

It's not a theme but this year we are going to do the clear balls w/acrylic paint.  We did this when ds 1 was little and the paint is starting to fade or chip off.  I also saw on pinterest cutting garland and putting it in clear balls.  We are going to do this w/blue and silver tinsel.

I would love to do a primitive country christmas tree.

My tree last year (and this year) was peacock themed. I have since discovered that this is kinda trendy, but I came by it honestly--we have a farm, a peacock, and lots of peacock feathers, and I wanted something over-the-top, so it was the natural conclusion. I have lots of peacock blue, apple green, and gold balls, tons of feathers, and other blue/green/gold embellishments. It's fun.

The kiddo has his own tree to decorate however he desires, and he really gets into helping with the themed tree, so it's been easy to have one tree with just the themed ornaments.

I'm doing red, white and lime green this year (I did last year too).  I the past, I have done red and white, blue and silver and all white.  I may put a kid themed tree up in the loft for my boys.  If I can find room in the DR, I'll do a teacup tree.  

When I flew to my mom's house 2 weeks ago to decorate for the parade of homes, every tree we did (9) had a theme, but one.  In the DR, I hung teacups and silver tea spoons on small tree, and used a creamer for the topper.  In the sunroom, I did a nautical tree, in the MB, it was a snow themed tree.  In the 1st guest bed, it was old world Santa, in the second guest bed, I did candy land, in the 1st guest bath, I used my grandmothers antique glass ornaments, which was my favorite, because I adore those.  The entry way was simply miniature red, blue, green and gold glass ornaments and the office was themed for the Alabama Crimson Tide (my mom is a HUGE football fan).  I used a black tree in there, and it was so cool.  The tree in the LR was done in my mom's traditional ornaments.  I have some photos on my iPad I'll have to transfer over and post.

I do a different color theme every year with a different kind of "filler."

Year 1 was Gold with gold garland.
Year 2 was Red with a large, red ribbon wrapped around the tree and the little red ribbon bows.
Year 3 was a deep Blue-Green with gold and silver beaded garland.
Year 4 was Purple (my favorite color) with the "snow" fabric in the branches.
Year 5 was Chartreuse (Builder Boy's favorite color at the time) with giant gold poinsettias placed perfectly.
Year 6 was White & Silver with coffee filter snowflakes and homemade white ornaments.

This year will be chocolate brown with either (glitter pinecones and blue and red felt birds) or (gingerbread cookies and candy canes.)

I usually plan my theme a year ahead and buy the new ornaments for the next year after Christmas when I can get stuff for 75% off. It only costs about $15 each year.

We put a tree in every main room. Our living room tree has all the special ornaments collected over the years, including ornaments we buy from every trip we take. We started that about 11 years ago. If I can't find an ornament from somewhere, I try to buy a souvenir that has the name and make it into an ornament myself.

My dd's tree is white and has teal balls and decorations to match her room.

Ds's tree is a small one with candy themed ornaments and gingerbread people. I put fake snow and a little village of houses decorated with candy.

Our bedroom tree has brown and gold nature-themed ornaments because our curtain and bedspread is brown.

The bonus room tree has all red decorations. 

We have two trees now, which feels very extravagant to me! I did it because I did want a "pretty" tree decorated how I want, but I still want our family tree with all the meaningful ornaments.  My themed tree is all silver, white and glass.  The garland is a silver string of tiny bells. It's gorgeous! I can't wait to put it up! 

Our tree has sort of a cranberry theme.  (It's fake, pre-lit with white lights.)  We start with cranberry garland, then cranberry/burgundy balls evenly-spaced, then a few gold balls evenly-spaced.  Then all the other random ornaments go on last (all the ones the kids have made plus all the ones I inherited from my parents).  IIRC, last year I put dd12 in charge of the tree and it went off without a hitch.  I think I'll try that again :)

I can't remember whether I finally threw out the ceramic ornament I made in early elementary school, the one with a picture of me in the middle with the missing tooth and really lovely haircut, the one my brothers used to make fun of me.  I've been doing a lot of house cleaning and I think I'm ready to get rid of that one  :tongue_smilie:

I'm opposed to theme trees. I consider them insincere . .  that said . . . .

I started crocheting snowflakes.  and since snowflakes must be different, they are all different.  I have over 100, all different.  (and another 100 patterns. all different.)  as I was working on them, I thought how cool it would be to make a snowflake themed tree.  (yes, I know.  I've gone to the dark side.)  so to appease my objecting side, I decided everything on the tree had to be homemade from cheap materials.

spruce cones (gathered for free from a neighbors yard) have a eye-screw at the end for an ornament hook. then I sprayed them with adhesive, and dumped on ultra-fine iridescent glitter.  (silver or white works)

I got a bunch of different clear/crystal plastic beads in different shapes and sizes and strung them together on wire to make icicles.  I had been going to have them uniform with three different sizes, but the kids strung them however they wanted so they're all different.  I think different is better.

old glass balls I didn't want - I sprayed them with white paint, and while wet sprinkled ultra-fine iridescent violet glitter. 

I also have clear glass balls that are put more towards the center to reflect light back out.

it seems like I'm missing something . . .

you can practically feel the icy wind coming off that tree.  I put it in my family room when I do a tree in there.  I did use them in my living room when dudeling was very young.

my living room is a 9' fake (used to have a 10 1/2.  dh likes tall trees.) with everything from preschool craft day to :eek: radko/polonaise. paper, ceramic, blown glass, new and family heirloom. very eclectic.  and electric candle lights. 

What a great thread. I should have a themed tree for our restaurant. Now that we live in CA and no Oregon I should maybe have a tree with bears? 

Farra, would you post picks of some of the little books you made???? I am so curious.

My father and his wife did a bear themed tree the year they were on the Christmas home tour I think.  They did so much, I couldn't keep up.

I don't have pictures of the really elaborate sculptey books I made, but some of them are just painted wood - sort of like these:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/116171669/wooden-mini-books-unfinished-diy-set-of?utm_source=google&utm_medium=product_listing_promoted&utm_campaign=supplies_low&gclid=COq9hbbT_roCFUzxOgodLGcAuQ

And some of them were just tiny books that I bought and collected.  I was thinking of making some more this year actually.

My mom did themes. They were beautiful. It was usually a color or time period, like antique with lots of ribbons running vertically.

We have two, one theme, one hodgepodge. Our big tree has ornaments from and for the children, and from my childhood. Our 3 foot theme tree is from Disneyland. We stayed over Christmas one year and have put it up ever since.