Menu

I may have found what I'm looking for in a program that truly uses literature to study LA skills.

5LittleMonkeys

From another perspective, my son is advanced in writing skill but I'm still only using level 2 for him. He just does larger portions of copy work and also dictation and he narrates daily. Neither of us have felt a strong desire for more advanced grammar, and we are content with what is in LLTL2.

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I plan on using SOTW for history. We will use Mr Q or BFSU for science, but that is up to my hubs as he is in charge of science. For Bible we use Betty Lukens felt set and will be doing Awana work.

Also, can I just say, this board is so awesome. Thank you to all of you who share your wisdom so freely. It is so very appreciated, especially by this newbie.

Before investing in Sonlight, I would look at the SOTW reading lists to see if you plan to do those, and figure how much reading you will likely be doing with Bible and science and composer study and artist study and sport of the month if you will be teaching P.E. And figure how much time your child wants to select their own books according the TWTM method or whatever method you allow.

LLtL definitely covers "literature" for "school", but like ANY mom, you would likely add more free reading books, and other subjects will add more books. But I don't think you need more than one official literature curricula. That is unless you AND your children have a voracious appetite for books AND you really struggle to find good ones on your own.

I am sure people can read our discussion and opinions and make a decision that they think fits their child's ability.

Yes, of course.

But I do want to mention that it IS common is ps Kindergarten now to introduce the concept of nouns and verbs. It's simple, yes. "Nouns are names, verbs are things we do." But K-ers are expected to know and apply that to simple sentences.

When the author said level 1 was for 2nd grade I did raise my eyebrows a little.

I'm honestly not comfortable with the line that grammar can wait a while. Full on diagramming, maybe. But to start discussing the basic parts? No.

I mean, I just have my own one kid to gauge by. But he's in 1st and can recognize nouns and verbs in English, Dutch, and Latin. Is he exceptional? Maybe, but not that exceptional. (He did not meet our previous school district's qualifications for being gifted).

People should fit their child's ability, of course. But they shouldn't sell their kids short. That's all.

Charlotte Mason followers are notorious for teaching the parts of speech later. It's like blasphemy to do it before age 9. To introduce parts of speech in level 2 and aiming towards the average 8 year old is "advanced" and where LLtL is a CM and classical MIX.

If I'm going to do parts of speech earlier, I like the ORIGINAL Montessori Method translated from Maria's original Italian writings. FREE here.

https://archive.org/details/montessorielemen027888mbp

I tend to teach parts of speech before quotation marks myself, but my year 1 students are NOT 6 years old, even if they are reading at a 6 year old level. I don't think 6 years olds NEED the parts of speech, but...if it's a GAME and they LIKE it, and the instructor has time to teach it, I'm fine with it.

Public school K is just nuts now. I just cannot advocate copying them. Some of them also require a research paper. :eek: And I DO have a problem with requiring a research paper from an entire class of Kers.

Cursive-first slows things down, so teaching the parts of speech orally can be a good activity to do while waiting for the writing/spelling skills to catch up.

For some of you that are doing fine in the early Beatrix Potter lessons, you might bog down in the later lessons. Time will tell. It really is easier to add complexity than to remove it from a curriculum.

I've just begun RLtL with my 4.5 year old daughter. She has the first 26 phonograms down and we're progressing through the remainder of them. She has completed the first 4 lessons in the phonogram workbook and has done the first four spelling lists (1A-1D). I imagine we'll begin LLtL this fall when she begins K. She is accelerated and, for her, I think level 1 will be perfect.

I haven't heard the author say that level 1 is for 2nd grade. My understanding is that she is using it a level "behind" with her own 2nd grader, but that there is a reason for that, and that isn't what she would generally recommend for everyone. With the Level 0 she's working on, she has been referring to that as a kindergarten level program, so it would then follow that level 1 would be a first grade level. Now, with her reading program, that's different. She recommends people start with level 1, for the sake of learning to mark the phonograms from the start.

The author has not assigned a grade level to the program, but answers people according to the level their child is reading at, and ability to copy. It's impossible to assign a grade level equivalent, when different people have different ideas of what a grade looks like. Some people here are teaching parts of speech and research papers in K, and others are not teaching parts of speech and written composition till 4th or later.

We are going to see people finding level 1 "incomplete" for K becasue it doesn't cover parts of speech. And we are going to see CMers using level 1 for 3rd or 4th or even 5th graders.

Because I use cursive-first, I'm heavily biased to place by cursive handwriting ability, even though that doesn't apply to manuscript first, and I have to remember that.

I personally love it when an author doesn't assign a grade to a curriculum. The debate goes on and on and on. And for some strange reason I enjoy those threads. :biggrinjester:

Page 16, in the Introduction, under Schedule and Readiness,

“Level 1 is intended for a first grade child who is ready for copywork and is beginning to read fluently. Level 2 is intended for a second grade child or for older children in need of remediation. Completion of Level 1 is not a prerequisite for Level 2.â€

The next section—Purpose and Necessary Resources—has more information for placement purposes. I checked the Amazon sample for the split Level 1, and it has the same text there as the old edition I copied. I started when dd could read the first copywork sentence.—

Peter sat down to rest.

Page 16, in the Introduction, under Schedule and Readiness,

“Level 1 is intended for a first grade child who is ready for copywork and is beginning to read fluently. Level 2 is intended for a second grade child or for older children in need of remediation. Completion of Level 1 is not a prerequisite for Level 2.â€

The next section—Purpose and Necessary Resources—has more information for placement purposes. I checked the Amazon sample for the split Level 1, and it has the same text there as the old edition I copied. I started when dd could read the first copywork sentence.—

Peter sat down to rest.

Well, that settles that, doesn't it. :lol:

Too bad, though, because...I think we were having fun with this. :D

Part of the issue I think is that when someone says "my kid is normal" here, they mean "my kid is normal for the child of someone who spends her time online scouting out programs to teach literature."

Touche! Yes, that has an element of truth.

My son is in public school kindergarten, and none of the kids are ready for copywork. They are just starting HWT K (capital letters). He seems SO average here, but he's a little Einstein compared to his classmates.

You people are KILLING ME!!! :tongue_smilie:

This thread has been here for 2 months.  For 2 months I managed to ignore it and not open the thread to see what all the fuss was about.

Then this morning I opened the thread...now it's $60 later.

Off to look at all my new stuff.

Lulu.com, where LLTL is sold, has a 25% off coupon that expires today (Jan. 26, Sun): GETIT25

Thanks for saving me $20. :thumbup:   Though that did push me over the edge into buying today. :closedeyes:

My girls are Grade 1 and 2, would you all recommend starting with level 1 or 2?

My (barely) 6 year old son is doing LLTL level 1.  We only do it 2 days a week so we wont finish it in a year, but I don't find it to be too difficult for him.  Granted, he has been doing narrations in a very informal way since he was 4, and many of the literature selections are books we have already enjoyed.  Also granting that we are only in the Just So Stories and I may live to regret my words.

I began him in LLTL as soon as he had learned to correctly form all of his letters and could read the first copy-work exercise with ease.  I think that is a much more accurate cursor of "readiness" than grade level :)  

You people are KILLING ME!!! :tongue_smilie:

This thread has been here for 2 months. For 2 months I managed to ignore it and not open the thread to see what all the fuss was about.

Then this morning I opened the thread...now it's $60 later.

Off to look at all my new stuff.

Thanks for saving me $20. :thumbup: Though that did push me over the edge into buying today. :closedeyes:

I think it was here about a month before I opened it. I was looking at O-G eBooks and found RLtL and then heard about LLtL and did a search and realized there was a current thread.

Enjoy your books!

I got the bug too. I was planning to use Logic of English. But the price was holding me back. I was considering WWE, A week before this thread. This worked even better. We love learning via books.

I generally don't like literature based programs. :lol: That is why I didn't click on the thread for a month. They throw my OCD in overdrive. But Kathy Jo managed to catch my attention with RLtL and then I saw that her literature based language lessons were far more logical and organized than I've ever seen.

I got the bug too. I was planning to use Logic of English. But the price was holding me back. I was considering WWE, A week before this thread. This worked even better. We love learning via books.

I split the two programs using LLTL for copywork/grammar and LOE for phonics/spelling. :)

Honestly, though, I would have tried Kathy's reading program because I love LLTL so much but by the time I found out it existed we had already started LOE and my son LOVES it after having suffered through several other phonics programs. Its one of his favorite parts of the day now and I think he'd throw a fit if I switched. I am consoling myself with the fact that I have two other kids to also use Foundations, because you are right, it is so pricey.

There is now a RLtL Sample to download, too, for those that cannot use the preview feature. And Cathy Duffy put up her review of RLtL yesterday.

http://cathyduffyreviews.com/phonics_reading/reading-lessons-through-literature.htm

I feel like a proud aunt! :)

Huh? I can be a bit of an aspie and jokes go right over my head. I don't get it.

No, I wasn't clear. I was on my tablet and was too lazy to quote and I think I'd used up my daily allotment of "Likes" that day. Kathy Jo was reviewed by Cathy Duffy. I'm so proud of her. WTG, Kathy Jo!

I began him in LLTL as soon as he had learned to correctly form all of his letters and could read the first copy-work exercise with ease.  I think that is a much more accurate cursor of "readiness" than grade level :)

It is hard to put a grade level on it because children have such different abilities.  I agree with the above quote.  My oldest could have started level 1 half-way through Kindergarten, as that is when she had learned how to print all upper and lowercase letters.  She started reading at 4.5yo.  I just started my almost 8yo second grade ds on level 1 earlier this month and it is challenging for him, handwriting wise.  He didn't start reading until the beginning of first grade and has been slower to progress than older dd, who pretty quickly could read anything she wanted.  My next dd will probably be able to start sometime in first grade.

I just had to come on here and say that we started today.  My dd can read the copywork and just finished HWT K, so we started on it rather than just random copywork.  It was a very large success.  My 3 year old tagged along for the book.  Dd5 was very interested in the sentence and we spent some time talking about it.  She loved drawing a picture at the end and spent the rest of the day pretending or drawing Peter Rabbit.  I have to say, I was surprised at how much she enjoyed it and how much reading the story before doing the copywork made a big difference in her interest level.  I really didn't expect it to be this successful.  Granted, this is day one, but still, I am loving it more than I thought I would so far. :)

Okay, so I have a quick question. I was checking out the fairy books covered in this since I had never encountered them before. I don't think my boy would enjoy them. At all. He is a very tender-hearted fella, and the violence in them would be shocking to him, probably leading to nightmares. It's just how he is.  I am feeling sad. I love how this is laid out, and really think it could work great for us.

So, here is the question then: Several of these books are classics, and while I love classics, I have not read most of these. Are many of the books like the Blue fairy book? If it is just the fairy books, I don't mind skipping or changing the books for that section, but if it is several or most of the books, I may have to rethink my plan.....

Someone, please give me good news!

Only portions of the fairy books are used. Check the table of contents for the stories listed and read those stories, and see if the individual stories are okay.

Lit is a hard thing for many families. I'm easier going now, but I used very little fiction when homeschooling my boys. We used mostly the Bible and biographies for literature. If you sign up at the AO forum there are frequent threads about people's struggles with fiction.

Montessori used very little fiction with children. Charlotte Mason actually mentions her disagreement with Montessori on this issue.

And I don't know about other folks' experience, but so far it's been Ok if dd hasn't done the reading yet when we have done the lesson (I hate to mention that for fear of someone feeling off the hook when they really need the hook  :leaving: ).  But we're doing one of the upper levels available, and this week dd has been slow about getting her readings done (I blame Pyle's King Arthur and Robinson Crusoe, she NEEDS to be reading her Oz assignment) but we've plugged along and it's been Ok.  So if I had a story I wanted to skip for a reason like scariness, I'd just skip the reading and do the lesson anyway.

HTH!

And I don't know about other folks' experience, but so far it's been Ok if dd hasn't done the reading yet when we have done the lesson (I hate to mention that for fear of someone feeling off the hook when they really need the hook :leaving: ). But we're doing one of the upper levels available, and this week dd has been slow about getting her readings done (I blame Pyle's King Arthur and Robinson Crusoe, she NEEDS to be reading her Oz assignment) but we've plugged along and it's been Ok. So if I had a story I wanted to skip for a reason like scariness, I'd just skip the reading and do the lesson anyway.

HTH!

I agree!!

Only portions of the fairy books are used. Check the table of contents for the stories listed and read those stories, and see if the individual stories are okay.

Lit is a hard thing for many families. I'm easier going now, but I used very little fiction when homeschooling my boys. We used mostly the Bible and biographies for literature. If you sign up at the AO forum there are frequent threads about people's struggles with fiction.

Montessori used very little fiction with children. Charlotte Mason actually mentions her disagreement with Montessori on this issue.

Thank you! I will make sure to more thoroughly check out the TOC then. That may alleviate most of the problem! I definitely don't have a problem with fiction for our literature selections, I just don't want them to be scarring. There are so many great options, both classic and more modern, that we could choose to fill our minds with. It sounds like LLTL hopefully might not use the more intense stories.

And I don't know about other folks' experience, but so far it's been Ok if dd hasn't done the reading yet when we have done the lesson (I hate to mention that for fear of someone feeling off the hook when they really need the hook  :leaving: ).  But we're doing one of the upper levels available, and this week dd has been slow about getting her readings done (I blame Pyle's King Arthur and Robinson Crusoe, she NEEDS to be reading her Oz assignment) but we've plugged along and it's been Ok.  So if I had a story I wanted to skip for a reason like scariness, I'd just skip the reading and do the lesson anyway.

HTH!

Thank you for that. It is good to know that we could continue with the lessons as planned if we needed to modify the reading schedule for some reason.

Okay, so, maybe I am missing something, but when I look at the TOC on the sample from LULU, it doesn't list the stories from the fairy books. It just says 7 stories or 13 stories. Is there anywhere to find the actual stories used without purchasing the curriculum?

PS: Thanks for all the help!

Can someone help me with where to start for my next year 4th grader. We have doing ABEKA so far and we need a change for next year. He does pretty good with punctuation and capitalization. We haven't covered much about parts of speech yet. This has my interest because he is a horrible speller and I think he needs to see good literature to help him with writing and spelling. I'm not a very good writer myself so I'm hoping I'll be able to do this with him. What level should I start with him? I have only read through page 7 of this thread so far but wanted to ask this question. Thank you :) I would need to get the hardcopy version.

Also, can you help me find the samples? I've been trying on Lulu and Amazon.

I'm using RLTL for spelling/phonics and loving it. I already have a writing program that I like, but I'm looking for the other "language arts" parts. What sort of modifications would I have to make to use LLTL for grammar, literature, etc. without there being writing curriculum overkill? It seems like narration and copywork are about more than just writing (they also cover reading comprehension and handwriting, for example). So would I just do everything, even if there was some overlap? Or are there parts that I would skip?

Can someone help me with where to start for my next year 4th grader. We have doing ABEKA so far and we need a change for next year. He does pretty good with punctuation and capitalization. We haven't covered much about parts of speech yet. This has my interest because he is a horrible speller and I think he needs to see good literature to help him with writing and spelling. I'm not a very good writer myself so I'm hoping I'll be able to do this with him. What level should I start with him? I have only read through page 7 of this thread so far but wanted to ask this question. Thank you :) I would need to get the hardcopy version.

Also, can you help me find the samples? I've been trying on Lulu and Amazon.

Level 2 introduces the parts of speech, so if parts of speech are you priority focus, then I would start with level 2. But I am a person that is die hard about starting at the BOTTOM and working my way up brick by brick by brick. Doing level 2 might not be in line to start AP English and lit courses in grade 9 though, and…well…there are people here with that as THEIR priority.

I can only tell you what I would do, not what YOU should do. And I am  :biggrinjester:, so…

I'm using RLTL for spelling/phonics and loving it. I already have a writing program that I like, but I'm looking for the other "language arts" parts. What sort of modifications would I have to make to use LLTL for grammar, literature, etc. without there being writing curriculum overkill? It seems like narration and copywork are about more than just writing (they also cover reading comprehension and handwriting, for example). So would I just do everything, even if there was some overlap? Or are there parts that I would skip?

Writing curricula come in so many flavors. So combining would be different for every curricula.

Most of the time we need to pick and choose. There are so many things I like that I cannot combine. I have to look at the BIG PICTURE and then TRIAGE. And it sucks. Reality sucks! It's ugly and it's scarce.

Supposedly recovery from my PTSD will mean I see the world as less scarce and ugly, but so far the longer I have spent in therapy, the more cemented I have become in the belief of the necessity of triage and facing the realities of scarcity.

The Lessons through Literature programs are meant to be a stand alone curriculum with no need to supplement. You could just use LtL products. Just saying. :D

Good luck choosing! :grouphug:

Writing curricula come in so many flavors. So combining would be different for every curricula.

Most of the time we need to pick and choose. There are so many things I like that I cannot combine. I have to look at the BIG PICTURE and then TRIAGE. And it sucks. Reality sucks! It's ugly and it's scarce.

Supposedly recovery from my PTSD will mean I see the world as less scarce and ugly, but so far the longer I have spent in therapy, the more cemented I have become in the belief of the necessity of triage and facing the realities of scarcity.

The Lessons through Literature programs are meant to be a stand alone curriculum with no need to supplement. You could just use LtL products. Just saying. :D

I'm using Understanding Writing. Since it's a elementary-high school program that I've spent money for, already own, have already used, and enjoy, I figure I can keep using it. So far, just using level 1 of UW and having skimmed level 2, it seems pretty gentle. But it doesn't cover reading, literature, grammar, etc. So I'm looking for something for those parts and I like the looks of LLTL.

UW is good!

There is a lot of overlap. UW does cover grammar. So you will be overlapping both composition and grammar.

UW really doesn't have instructions for grades 7-8. You are just supposed to complete another curriculum. And 9-12 is more of a hodgepodge and supplementing something that I can't remember.

So, really the meat is grades 1-6. UW teaches through writing letters. LLtL teaches through literature. Both are good approaches. What excites you more? Your child learning to serve the creator though letter writing, or your child being exposed to some of the best of Western literature?

I know that UW cover basic grammar (capitalization, what makes a sentence, etc). Does it cover parts of speech in later years? I was under the impression that the author of UW recommends doing a year of grammar somewhere in middle school, but that UW itself doesn't actually cover it.

About the fairy tales, if you want to skip one (or all) you could always just do the lesson as written and take copywork from something else he's read. We did that at the very beginning with the potter tales as we had JUST finished reading them when we started LLTL. It was nice to move into the just so stories because I didn't have to go searching for a quoted question or so on every day, but it only added 3 minutes to my prep time.

I may end up doing it again when we reach dr Doolittle, as I'm uncomfortable with the racism in the book. (Yeah yeah the times, ect, but we already live in a racist part of the country. I need to stay on my toes.). Luckily I think that's a while away for me, book 3 or so.

About the fairy tales, if you want to skip one (or all) you could always just do the lesson as written and take copywork from something else he's read. We did that at the very beginning with the potter tales as we had JUST finished reading them when we started LLTL. It was nice to move into the just so stories because I didn't have to go searching for a quoted question or so on every day, but it only added 3 minutes to my prep time.

I may end up doing it again when we reach dr Doolittle, as I'm uncomfortable with the racism in the book. (Yeah yeah the times, ect, but we already live in a racist part of the country. I need to stay on my toes.). Luckily I think that's a while away for me, book 3 or so.

But you're using Just So Stories?  I'm trying to figure out what we're going to do with that... Kipling was such a colonial racist that dh really doesn't want us using him at all.  I suppose it depends on the story, all in all, but that's what I've found with Dr. Doolittle too.  Some parts are racist, and others aren't so bad.

I totally get  what you mean, though.  Good for you, staying on your toes.  If you're in a racism-heavy area, you probably have plenty of chances to talk with your kids in everyday life and don't need literature to open up the conversation.

:)

Anabel

But you're using Just So Stories?  I'm trying to figure out what we're going to do with that... Kipling was such a colonial racist that dh really doesn't want us using him at all.  I suppose it depends on the story, all in all, but that's what I've found with Dr. Doolittle too.  Some parts are racist, and others aren't so bad.

I totally get  what you mean, though.  Good for you, staying on your toes.  If you're in a racism-heavy area, you probably have plenty of chances to talk with your kids in everyday life and don't need literature to open up the conversation.

Anabel

I know that UW cover basic grammar (capitalization, what makes a sentence, etc). Does it cover parts of speech in later years? I was under the impression that the author of UW recommends doing a year of grammar somewhere in middle school, but that UW itself doesn't actually cover it.

I don't have UW anymore. Doesn't it start teaching parts of speech in level 1 with games?

I've skipped one Just So so far (the leopard and I appreciated the warning in LLTL) but I think that's the only one I will have to. I've read the kids Peter Pan and the second Dr Doolittle, which also both have their racism but I was able to edit it out as I read. From my memory (which may be dim) the first Doolittle's plot revolves around the racism, so its hard to edit out. Again, ill have to reread when we get there because I may be remembering more than is there.

But you're using Just So Stories? I'm trying to figure out what we're going to do with that... Kipling was such a colonial racist that dh really doesn't want us using him at all. I suppose it depends on the story, all in all, but that's what I've found with Dr. Doolittle too. Some parts are racist, and others aren't so bad.

I totally get what you mean, though. Good for you, staying on your toes. If you're in a racism-heavy area, you probably have plenty of chances to talk with your kids in everyday life and don't need literature to open up the conversation.

Anabel

I don't have UW anymore. Doesn't it start teaching parts of speech in level 1 with games?

The games were about choosing "strong" words. So change "the man went across the room" to "the firefighter bolted across the room" type of thing. I just looked again about what UW says about grammar: "a comprehensive study of grammar should be undertaken by each child in his secondary years to equip him to understand and be proficient with the English language." Then in levels 6-8, she recommends Easy Grammar and Easy Writing. So it would not be overkill to do a grammar program along UW.

I like the gentleness of LLTL combined with the fact that the examples are pulled directly from the books being read. I think that gives it added relevance to the child. My son delights in recognizing his spelling words in the Elson Reader story that he reads right after writing/marking the words. I think he'd also like seeing a connection of grammar examples being from the books. I like that LLTL is combined so that I don't have to piecemeal together a LA curriculum and have them all together be too time intensive.

But I do like what I've done and seen so far in UW. I'd like to do both, but not if it would be overkill/redundant. I do a good enough job with overkill and redundancy in math and Bible, I don't need it in my other subjects, too. :rofl:

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to give this a bump and let others know that the 25% off coupon on page 9 is still working.

I do have a question for Kathy Jo or anyone else who can answer it. I'm looking at the workbooks for RLTL and they are marked vertical and slant. We use HWT for our handwriting program. Can someone confirm if the vertical book is the correct workbook to purchase? Thank you.