Menu

I may have found what I'm looking for in a program that truly uses literature to study LA skills.

5LittleMonkeys

I'm popping my head into this lengthy thread for a minute just to say thank you soooooo much for this course. I found it just when I needed something different for a boy who was dragging his feet through everything that was related to Language Arts. I cried when I found the program. The next few months are looking a little less dismal now. Thank you again.

I hope it works for y'all! 

The resistance I've heard about from others concerns either the reading or the copywork. If he resists the extra reading, I recommend the audio books from Librivox. If he resists the copywork, I recommend working up to it slowly if necessary. For example, he could start off only copying one sentence of the copywork. After a few weeks of this, bump it up to two sentences. Repeat this process until he's doing all of it, always waiting until he's grown comfortable with the new amount before increasing it again.

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope it works for y'all! 

The resistance I've heard about from others concerns either the reading or the copywork. If he resists the extra reading, I recommend the audio books from Librivox. If he resists the copywork, I recommend working up to it slowly if necessary. For example, he could start off only copying one sentence of the copywork. After a few weeks of this, bump it up to two sentences. Repeat this process until he's doing all of it, always waiting until he's grown comfortable with the new amount before increasing it again.

His reading is a couple grade levels ahead. His writing on the other hand is horrific. His penmanship is lovely, but he struggles to express himself verbally so expressing himself on paper is a no go yet, and dictation is really difficult for him as he doesn't retain sentences very well. This program looks a little gentler, and I'm hopeful that stepping back a level will help a little. The reading choices are interesting enough to keep his attention as well which was a problem to find in a program when he reads well but doesn't do anything else LA oriented well He has CAPD.

Thank you for the reminder with copywork.

His reading is a couple grade levels ahead. His writing on the other hand is horrific. His penmanship is lovely, but he struggles to express himself verbally so expressing himself on paper is a no go yet, and dictation is really difficult for him as he doesn't retain sentences very well. This program looks a little gentler, and I'm hopeful that stepping back a level will help a little. The reading choices are interesting enough to keep his attention as well which was a problem to find in a program when he reads well but doesn't do anything else LA oriented well He has CAPD.

Thank you for the reminder with copywork.

Ah. It is gentle, and while I have no experience with CAPD, I can only suggest that you gentle it up even more where necessary. ((hugs)) I know it's frustrating to mom as well as to the child when dealing with programs that are developmentally inappropriate in some way.

I bought level 3 PDF and will spend time with it this weekend. I might buy the workbook next month, but I'm going to look over things and see if I need it.

I printed out the exercises, but not the copywork, for my 4th grade son. He does the copywork into a primary comp book straight from my Kindle Fire screen. It just depends on whether or not your child is ready for that.

For levels 5 and up, which won't have workbooks, I'm going to recommend that children diagram the sentence, and then write the part of speech of each word right there on the diagram. That will keep them from having to write the sentence twice. And yeah, that would be an issue around here. LOL Depending on your child's age, this could work. Other exercises could be done orally.

Though if you'd rather buy the workbook, I won't complain.  :D

Umm, I think I might need some help with how much of the lesson to do each day, lol. Do we read the chapter, the poem, do the copy work all on the same day (it would be fine if we did) and do the dictation the next day? Thanks for any help.

Sometimes we do the dictation the same day, sometimes we do the dictation the next day. It's really up to you. The program is set up for three days per week, but you could divide those three lessons per week up any way you wanted to.

Kathy Jo, I just wanted to send you another "thank you" for LLTL!  You've put together in an open and go format what I've been trying to cobble together every week.  My DD likes it (so far), and it has made planning so easy for me.  And thank you for posting the "road map" for the future levels, as that will help me to plan our other literature selections.

This is my DD's kindergarten year, but she was already independently reading upper elementary level chapter books when the school year started, so LLTL1 is working well as long as we go slowly with the copywork.

Yep, I have the notebook covers, planning pages, and some reading lists that have been around for years. :-)

I don't like hearing that about CreateSpace. I hadn't heard anything negative about their printing. I only have a printed copy of one of my books from them, 50 States, and I love it. It's still fairly new, but it's not showing any quality problems that make me feel like it's likely to fall apart quickly.

Tomorrow, I will try to make sure that there's a print option for all of my books at Lulu. That way, if anyone is concerned about the quality, Lulu is also an option. I have a number of books from Lulu which I've had for years, and I've been very pleased with the quality.

ETA: I found two threads online with authors talking about CreateSpace quality. Overall, they seem happy. Only an occasional problem is mentioned.

http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198525

http://www.kboards.com/index.php?topic=163511.0

Maybe books like these will be better. I was looking and I don't think I have one over 300 Pbs from CS. So maybe they take more care in larger books. On the wishlist!

Okay, so those of you that are planning to use LLtL and/or RLtL, with it's so easy to schedule lessons--what are you planning for the other subjects? I know you all are re-evaluting everything else, in light of how it fits in with LLtL.

I was planning on using mostly AO, butĂ¢â‚¬Â¦now I'm thinking of SOTW  and Mr. Q.

I've been looking at some of my hardcopy possessions, but I know I need to keep my entire plans as eBooks, and that is just the way it is for now.

Okay, so those of you that are planning to use LLtL and/or RLtL, with it's so easy to schedule lessons--what are you planning for the other subjects? I know you all are re-evaluting everything else, in light of how it fits in with LLtL.

I was planning on using mostly AO, butĂ¢â‚¬Â¦now I'm thinking of SOTW and Mr. Q.

I've been looking at some of my hardcopy possessions, but I know I need to keep my entire plans as eBooks, and that is just the way it is for now.

Hunter, I'm considering using SCM's module 4 guide, but I'm not at all sure about that plan. I may also continue with my original plan to use CC as our spine and read good books. I think either of these will be good for us at this point.

I was planning on using mostly AO, butĂ¢â‚¬Â¦now I'm thinking of SOTW and Mr. Q.

I haven't had enough time to think about it much yet. I was giving a lot of thought to math with the final conclusion being that I am confident and happy with what I'm already doing. For history, the simplicity of LLTL has revitalized me enough that I've resumed the history I started the year with but had been taking a (long) break from (due to having other things consuming me so that it wasn't getting done well). I have toyed with the idea of changes, and yeah - it needs some, but currently I am basking in the present and the fact that it is functioning right now. :P

To clarify, you are suppose to read the chapter first, without referring to the exercises, then do the exercises afterwards? Is it organized in such a way that you can do the exercises orally (besides copywork) while you are initially reading the book? For example, could you go through the lessons beforehand, put a little sticky note in the book, and then while you are reading aloud with your child you can discuss the lessons as you come across them in the book? Which parts of the curriculum do you think could be done this way? Could RLTL be done this way with a very young child who has started to read on his own?

I've been looking at some of my hardcopy possessions, but I know I need to keep my entire plans as eBooks, and that is just the way it is for now.[/quote

LOL. You mean I'm not the only one? Sadly, my 9 year old is ahead of her publication schedule, but I'm already planning how to use LLtL/LRtL with my youngest. I think, for us, I'll begin both gently, next September at age 5.25. She is an early reader/writer, and this seems ideal for an eager, but young learner. We'll add to it CC memory work and lots of great read-alouds. She listens in to SOTW with big sister, but I wont expect much retention of Vol. 4 next year. Can't wait to get started!

I haven't had enough time to think about it much yet. I was giving a lot of thought to math with the final conclusion being that I am confident and happy with what I'm already doing. For history, the simplicity of LLTL has revitalized me enough that I've resumed the history I started the year with but had been taking a (long) break from (due to having other things consuming me so that it wasn't getting done well). I have toyed with the idea of changes, and yeah - it needs some, but currently I am basking in the present and the fact that it is functioning right now. :p

As far as Language Arts goes, I'm planning on doing LLTL M/W/F (readings, grammar instruction, copywork, narration, 1 lesson a day), and spending T/Th reading literature that coincides with our history (we're on ancients so it's mostly myths) and LOE foundations (phonics, spelling, skipping their writing instruction).   Foundations is unfortunately so new that I think its only useful for children as young as mine though.  We are barely behind the release schedule. 

We also do SOTW (m,w), art study (t), science (th), composer study (f), and daily math but none of that should be affected much.  I am skipping LLTL art study because I like what we are doing already :)

To clarify, you are suppose to read the chapter first, without referring to the exercises, then do the exercises afterwards? Is it organized in such a way that you can do the exercises orally (besides copywork) while you are initially reading the book? For example, could you go through the lessons beforehand, put a little sticky note in the book, and then while you are reading aloud with your child you can discuss the lessons as you come across them in the book? Which parts of the curriculum do you think could be done this way? Could RLTL be done this way with a very young child who has started to read on his own?

Sarah, there are no comprehension question of the reading/literature. Are you familiar with Charlotte Mason methods? Have you read the early language arts section of TWTM?

I'm using RLtL with students that are already reading. I posted a bit about that earlier in the thread. RLtL is a bit similar to Logic of English, Spalding, Riggs. etc., but also includes the Elson Readers. Are you familiar with phonogram based reading/spelling programs?

I was planning on using mostly AO, butĂ¢â‚¬Â¦now I'm thinking of SOTW  and Mr. Q.

Although I'm very tempted to try RLtL, I'm going to stay the course with Apples & Pears and Dancing Bears for Spelling and Reading.  These are working.  Don't fix what ain't broke and all that. 

I love the idea of just doing complete AO years.  The idea is beautifully simple.  It just isn't my real life. 

I'm readjusting our reading schedule to align with LLtL, using SOTW and Science in a Nutshell kits to round out the content areas. Going "rogue" CM. :coolgleamA:

I'm either using Bedell with added rabbit trails as they  happen or MOH and Science in the Beginning. I might use those and still use Bedell. All I know is that I am looking to simplify next year!

Sdunkel. I knew I wasn't the only one. :D

Coco_Clark, I really like your schedule. Thanks!

4Blessingmom, you rogue, you. :lol:

SOTW seems to be a popular choice to combine with LLtL. Yes, we are at TWTM forum, but still. CoCo_Clark's idea to add in the TWTM literature to the days there is no LLtL makes a lot of sense.

I cannot find my 1st edition hardcover TWTM. I'm thinking of buying the Kindle version of the 3rd edition. I really didn't want the 3rd edition more than the 1st for a few reasons, but now I do. And Kindle is ALWAYS better for ME right now. It's going to have to wait till next month though, at least. I'm going to grab a library copy for now.

Hunter, I'm considering using SCM's module 4 guide, but I'm not at all sure about that plan. I may also continue with my original plan to use CC as our spine and read good books. I think either of these will be good for us at this point.

Oops, I forgot this one. I'll have to look at SCM again. CC requires membership for many of the purchases right?

Oops, I forgot this one. I'll have to look at SCM again. CC requires membership for many of the purchases right?

No, only if you want to be on CC connected. I am still using the VP cards and a second edition foundations guide. I did buy the science cards and tin whistle, I already had the Everything You Need to Know books on hand to use for reference.

Sarah, there are no comprehension question of the reading/literature. Are you familiar with Charlotte Mason methods? Have you read the early language arts section of TWTM?

I'm using RLtL with students that are already reading. I posted a bit about that earlier in the thread. RLtL is a bit similar to Logic of English, Spalding, Riggs. etc., but also includes the Elson Readers. Are you familiar with phonogram based reading/spelling programs?

Yes, I am familiar with CM, TWTM, and phonogram based programs but only through reading books and forums. My child is still very young so I've never used a curriculum before. I wasn't asking about comprehension questions. What I mean is, which types of lessons could be done completely organically while reading and not afterwards by reading the manual? For example, the sentences and words that are used from the literature to illustrate new grammar concepts, do those appear in the order you would see them in the book? Could one mark all those words and sentences directly in the book so that as we come across them we could go over the new concept orally? Would the sentences and words used be appropriately spaced for briefly stopping and going in this fashion, without losing reading comprehension? If I wanted to teach grammar and other LA skills (besides copywork, dictation, handwriting) that way, would this curriculum make that easier, or would I still be doing most of the work myself anyways?

I'm just curious about that. My son is nowhere near that level, but that is how he is learning to read. He has been learning phonograms such as in LoE, but it's completely while we are just naturally reading anyways. I am following the philosophy and order to introduce any new information. Like when we come across a new phonogram I point it out and ask him to make the sound. Or if its one he already knows I point at it and ask him what it is. I am wondering how long we can continue learning LA that way and if RLtL and later LLTL will help with that? If that's completely unreasonable feel free to say so!

Sarah, I'm not entirely sure what you are asking. Also, I am new to the curriculum and still figuring it all out myself. It's my plan to use it as written, until that doesn't work, and then tweak as little as possible.

I'm still undecided about what I'm doing about choosing a hand/font, and I think I'm going to keep using What Your Grader Needs to Know for picture study. Other than that I'm really wanting to try to do this as written. I haven't seen anything I would want to change.

Sarah, have you examined the samples/previews of the RLTL and LLTL books at Amazon or lulu? If you are asking about LLTL then there are no grammar lessons in the first one, if I'm recalling correctly, but in the second level you do not interrupt the story reading to discuss grammar - the example sentences are printed in the teacher's book within the lesson itself and they are also printed for the student to mark, if directed by the lesson, in the workbook. You don't need the workbook however because you could just use the teacher's book to discuss the grammar lesson orally instead of mark (the sentence is printed right there in the lesson). I haven't looked at RLTL yet so don't know how that works.

I love both ideas - SOTW and/or straight AO - but every time I look at the first SOTW sample I feel disinclined and I can't function on AO's reading schedule. I don't do SCM that way either - I loaded the scheduled book in audio format onto an iPod and handed it to DS and he listened to it twice in one day and will probably listen to it a few more times before the end of the unit - that's how he *lives into* books. I love the *idea* of SOTW with the AG but ... I don't know ... Maybe I should try reading the sample *again*.

(I just happened to have the Peace Hill Press samples page already open in a tab ... hehe)

All I have for SOTW are the Kindle books, and was just planning on doing them CM style. I don't even know what the AG looks like. I think I've seen it, but don't remember. I do remember the samples include pronunciations for the hard names, though.

I always have so many things on my wish list that the SOTW support materials don't even register, other than the audios, and I managed to not hit "buy" during the 40% off sale. If I really buckle down and use the books, then maybe I'll want more support.

I'm a little more worried about science and math, though, than MORE history. I want to reread TWTM before I do any more major changes.

I did look again at Evan Moor Daily Science again. Sigh! It's just too much to justify, even if I had more money. Really, I do not NEED it. If I did get it, it would mean I'd be wasting something I already have.

If I do my planner and write everything down, I won't want to change something I worked so hard to complete. I think I need to do that. SOON!

Popping back in for a moment.  :seeya:

Yes, I am familiar with CM, TWTM, and phonogram based programs but only through reading books and forums. My child is still very young so I've never used a curriculum before. I wasn't asking about comprehension questions. What I mean is, which types of lessons could be done completely organically while reading and not afterwards by reading the manual? For example, the sentences and words that are used from the literature to illustrate new grammar concepts, do those appear in the order you would see them in the book? Could one mark all those words and sentences directly in the book so that as we come across them we could go over the new concept orally? Would the sentences and words used be appropriately spaced for briefly stopping and going in this fashion, without losing reading comprehension? If I wanted to teach grammar and other LA skills (besides copywork, dictation, handwriting) that way, would this curriculum make that easier, or would I still be doing most of the work myself anyways?

I'm just curious about that. My son is nowhere near that level, but that is how he is learning to read. He has been learning phonograms such as in LoE, but it's completely while we are just naturally reading anyways. I am following the philosophy and order to introduce any new information. Like when we come across a new phonogram I point it out and ask him to make the sound. Or if its one he already knows I point at it and ask him what it is. I am wondering how long we can continue learning LA that way and if RLtL and later LLTL will help with that? If that's completely unreasonable feel free to say so!

Hey, Sarah. I think I get what you're asking here. You want to take the written lesson in LLTL, and basically do it while y'all are reading, when the actual sample sentences appear in the book, instead of reading the lesson from LLTL afterwards. Is that correct?

Level 1 mostly points out punctuation and capitalization, so you definitely could with it.

For Level 2, I think you could much of the time, maybe even most of the time, but not all of the time. I did not make any special effort to keep the sample text in LLTL in the same order that you'll find it in the book. Also, for some lessons, I was not able to find an example in that exact chapter of the book, so I got the example from a previous chapter. But I think you could much of the time. 

Levels 3 and up would have the same issues as Level 2. In addition, since 3 begins diagramming, I think that would be too much of an interruption to the reading.

Re: RLTL, no, I don't believe it would be possible to use it, or really any phonogram based program, in that fashion. The focus is on analyzing the words, and like the diagramming, I think that would be too much of an interruption to the reading. In addition, the spelling lists in RLTL are padded with words from the Ayres list, so not all of the spelling words appear in the stories. 

I hope this helps. I'm popping back out now, so please PM me if you have further questions that perhaps I should attempt to answer.

Those Evan-Moor ebooks are absurdly pricey. My oldest is passionate about his own studies in history and science but my next child, enthusiastic as she is, needs more leading, so I do need to come up with some science plans myself.

Regarding the SOTW AG, I mostly want it for the coloring pages - my children love coloring pages. I'm not so sure that justifies the investment, though. :-/

Those Evan-Moor ebooks are absurdly pricey. My oldest is passionate about his own studies in history and science but my next child, enthusiastic as she is, needs more leading, so I do need to come up with some science plans myself.

Regarding the SOTW AG, I mostly want it for the coloring pages - my children love coloring pages. I'm not so sure that justifies the investment, though. :-/

I think you can get just the student pages as a pdf. We use those, but not the AG itself.

... and now y'all have me looking at RLTL ... I was thinking, "I need to have that open on another tab ," and then I realized that I *do* have that open in another tab.

I know I said I haven't had time enough to reevaluate other areas yet but my browser tabs seem to contradict me. :-/

I *did* take a look and I *love* it. DD has always been so enthusiastic about learning to read but .. we are needing a different approach.

Unfortunately, Lulu won't let me download it! I bought Level 1 and the Phonics workbook but the download links are not giving me anything. It will act like it downloaded something but either show nothing or give me an error message about a corrupted file - depending on which device I try to download from. Help! Do you think it's the files or could it be that lulu is broken?

And of course it's inconveniently midnight on your side of the planet. Gah!

If you mostly want coloring pages you'd get better quality for the same price buying a Historical coloring book. Dover has several and they are always doing sales.

I've never been that impressed by the SOTW coloring pages. I find I use the AG mostly for the map work and recommended reading. If I didn't get it free through my ALE I honestly wouldn't purchase it at all.

If you mostly want coloring pages you'd get better quality for the same price buying a Historical coloring book. Dover has several and they are always doing sales.

I've never been that impressed by the SOTW coloring pages. I find I use the AG mostly for the map work and recommended reading. If I didn't get it free through my ALE I honestly wouldn't purchase it at all.

Thanks for the recommendation.

For now I've decided to put off the decision until I'm planning for next year (I mean seriously planning because I need to make purchses, not sort of planning like .. always).

Meanwhile, in other news, my RLTL 1 download finally worked! Whoo-hoo. :D

A couple days ago, I was just talking to Kathy Jo about eBooks bought between 11 PM and 1 AM. :lol:

Mrs. P., you will have to tell me what you think. Will you be using the italic handwriting worksheets? I find the shape of italic letters harder to make than Spalding, but I think it's more of a problem for ME than the students. I remember talk on the AO board that students should be required to make "correct" letters, not "perfect" letters.

With Spalding, the students are able to perfectly emulate the easier models sooner, and *I* notice that, but not all of my students notice certain things until I point them out. And eventually, if I stick with italic, the higher level students will have the ability to make some beautiful cards and journals, and the lower level students and those that practice less will not adopt ANY style I teach them, anyway.

Last night, even before I went to bed, my lust for Evan-Moor science passed, and I am now more than content to use what I have for science. It's funny how dissatisfaction can some in waves, and how it can sometimes be waited out. It's really about the big picture, and sometimes a detail or two can distract me from the big picture. It's okay not to do science EXACTLY according to my science teaching philosophies. A nice orderly year, full of nice orderly weeks, and letting real life fill in any pieces, and grace fill in the rest DOES work.

Last night, even before I went to bed, my lust for Evan-Moor science passed, and I am now more than content to use what I have for science. It's funny how dissatisfaction can some in waves, and how it can sometimes be waited out. It's really about the big picture, and sometimes a detail or two can distract me from the big picture. It's okay not to do science EXACTLY according to my science teaching philosophies. A nice orderly year, full of nice orderly weeks, and letting real life fill in any pieces, and grace fill in the rest DOES work.

Man, I'm getting sucked back in.

What ebooks do you have for science? I've got ebooks for upper grades. For lower grades, though, I just have a few, like the Burgess Bird and Animal books, and some others from MainLesson. For the middle grades, I have nothing.

And do y'all do the WTM rotation for science? Again, with the lower and middle grades, it's hard to find enough books to make me feel like we're really getting science done when we're in years 3 and 4.  I've got a FEW good books. They're really good, but there's just not enough.

I know all about waves of dissatisfaction and have been feeling pretty good this year about my growing ability to wait them out (largely helped by the restrictions of my geographic location but I'm pretending it's all self control and giving myself credit accordingly).

I decided pretty quickly on the italics. DD has been doing cursive but a different cursive than in the workbook and I really want to use the workbook. Out of the two options I think the italics will work best for DD.

Regarding science, DS has his own "plan". I need to get one for the future though so I'm all ears.

I have Mr. Q science and K-4 kindle What Your Grader Needs to Know. I also have BFSU but am not planning on using that right now. And with my Gateway subscription, there is the new seasonal series; Winter was just released on Friday, but I didn't see it till today, and now I wouldn't even use Evan-Moor if I had it, because I want to read Winter and I forgot how much I wanted to fit in Burgess. I want to cover the AO rotation of Comstock too. I have too much.

Mr. Q fits right in with the TWTM schedule and I think I need to pull back to a more TWTM for the content. RLtL and LLtL are allowing me to bridge the CM and TWTM, and I want to take advantage of them. I tend to think TWTM scheduling of chem is more than 3rd graders need to know, when I am focusing too much on details. I need to let it go and focus on the big picture and let 3rd graders enjoy the mess, even if they don't need to know about atoms yet, and keep to a logical if maybe less developmentally inappropriate schedule.

Mr. Q goes on sale in January, and Life Science is free.

(largely helped by the restrictions of my geographic location but I'm pretending it's all self control and giving myself credit accordingly).

:lol: 

I decided pretty quickly on the italics. DD has been doing cursive but a different cursive than in the workbook and I really want to use the workbook. Out of the two options I think the italics will work best for DD.

The thing I like about the Peterson method (and, therefore, why I chose that font) is that the child learns 4 strokes, and he can then write all of the lowercase letters. And I like the focus on rhythm in writing. Have you read any of their material? Review copies of their handwriting books are online for free, and there's a good sample up of their "Yes, You Can Teach Cursive" book.

In the past, I focused on the cursive fonts instead of the method, and because of that, I never taught traditional cursive. I've recently become convinced that cursive first is best, and then I found a method instead of a font. My three middle boys are all doing very well with Peterson. 

That file is already so huge that I can't really add more fonts to it.

Hunter, my children all learned italic, but none of them has ever slanted his letters! I like it because it's a continuous stroke, and even if my children don't slant, they still have a beautiful model to follow, as opposed to the continuous model in HWT which DID produce ugly handwriting by my boys. I know others have said that was not the case for them, but I saw immediate improvement when I switched them to italic.

I have Mr. Q science and K-4 kindle What Your Grader Needs to Know. I also have BFSU but am not planning on using that right now. And with my Gateway subscription, there is the new seasonal series; Winter was just released on Friday, but I didn't see it till today, and now I wouldn't even use Evan-Moor if I had it, because I want to read Winter and I forgot how much I wanted to fit in Burgess. I want to cover the AO rotation of Comstock too. I have too much.

Mr. Q fits right in with the TWTM schedule and I think I need to pull back to a more TWTM for the content. RLtL and LLtL are allowing me to bridge the CM and TWTM, and I want to take advantage of them.

Mr. Q goes on sale in January, and Life Science is free.

Thanks, Hunter! I'd rather have books than curricula for content areas, but where books aren't available, curricula can fill the gaps. I think my sister uses Mr. Q. It's the one place where she went rogue and did something different than me.  :laugh: I grabbed the freebie.

What's a Gateway subscription?  :willy_nilly: Why have I never heard of this?

I tend to think TWTM scheduling of chem is more than 3rd graders need to know, when I am focusing too much on details. I need to let it go and focus on the big picture and let 3rd graders enjoy the mess, even if they don't need to know about atoms yet, and keep to a logical if maybe less developmentally inappropriate schedule.

And that's the problem with finding books. There's so little that the younger kids can understand about chemistry and physics, and while doing some experiments is great, I need books to feel like we've accomplished anything. :-)