Menu

I may have found what I'm looking for in a program that truly uses literature to study LA skills.

5LittleMonkeys

I'm starting my average LD adults in level 1, so...

The adults I focus on are at about 3rd grade level with gaps, and of course all sorts of strengths far above that. But I need to review all of grades 1 and 2, before starting 3rd grade work.

I still don't have all my plans put together, but I'm working on it. Are you on the yahoo group?

I don't know about any group. I am starting him in the level 3 we have done two lessons but what about reading program that has spelling I was wondering about that

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kathy Jo just added samples for all 3 levels of LLTL. 100 pages, 2 weeks worth of lessons for each level.  Here is the link:

http://www.lulu.com/shop/kathy-jo-devore/samples-language-lessons-through-literature-levels-1-2-and-3/ebook/product-21391411.html

Thanks, Kathy Jo!

This is awesome!  I am glad to try it out and see if it's what we're looking for.  Thanks so much Kathy Jo!

Kathy Jo just added samples for all 3 levels of LLTL. 100 pages, 2 weeks worth of lessons for each level.  Here is the link:

http://www.lulu.com/shop/kathy-jo-devore/samples-language-lessons-through-literature-levels-1-2-and-3/ebook/product-21391411.html

Thanks, Kathy Jo!

This is awesome!  Thank you so much Kathy Jo...I've been telling others irl to check this program out and they all kept asking me where they can see samples!  

I've read the entire thread. I saw the book lists for levels 1-2 and 4-6 but did not see the list for level 3. Was one posted? I looked at the samples and saw that Dr. Doolittle is the first book (which we've already read). I want to make sure the other books are ones we haven't read.

Looking at my LLTL 3, the literature list for level 3 is:

The Story of Dr. Dolittle by Lofting

The Marvelous Land of Oz by Baum

Beautiful Stories from Shakespeare by Nesbit

The Secret Garden by Burnett

The Princess and the Goblin by McDonald

Thanks, Kathy Jo!

Thank you, Kathy Jo!  I have Level 3 on order from Amazon (ordered it on January 5 and it still hasn't shipped--what?!?) and was itching to get started!

Also, this will give me an idea about whether to get Levels 1 and 2 or just start the other two younger ones at Level 3 next year.

Thank you!

What are the wkbks like? I have looked all over the place and all I can find is reference to the optional wkbk, but I can't find them anywhere. How much are they? Are there samples? I like the samples of the guide. I love the lit chosen. I have been perfectly happy with LLATL, but I may switch to this next year.

The author, just today, created a Spalding like font, and there will be workbooks for everything in the font. I cannot tell you how excited I am. I was so excited I posted the code for this smilie at the yahoo group, even though no one could see it.

:party:

You all know how dissatisfied I have been with other O-G and Spalding clone fonts. I haven't even been polite about my disappointment. This font that Kathy Jo has created is a work of art. The lowercase is EXACTLY like Splading except for a minor difference in the v and y, and it's funny that I had a student complain about the Spalding v. The uppercase is nicer than Spalding. I kid you not. It looks nicer AND is easier to write.

I've stopped asking people to pinch me to make sure I'm awake, but I'm no less excited. I keep opening the files Kathy Jo sent me to preview, and each time I look at them, they look nicer than I remembered.

This is the most exciting O-G/Splading clone development I have seen enter the market. My students CAN use this prepared copywork. I don't have to write out all the copywork word for word, because the included fonts are too hard for my students to copy.

She's like some sort of graphic artist as well as langauge arts curriculum writer. So like she can just make magic with a font.

Everyone else talks about how complicated and expensive font development is. And Kathy Jo just took an OOP but still usable font and changed it into Spalding. Just like...THAT.

That would be awesome!!!

It sounds like she's working on it, but ran out of time today.  That's also why she's not on here herself... she's been writing, fixing up workbooks, teaching her children, and making Hunter happy with font. :)  But she's active on the yahoo group that Hunter linked to a couple posts back.

:)

Funny story. I came home yesterday afternoon to find a package on my porch. After glancing at the return address, I realized it was NOT my recent order of LLtL & RLtL so I was very disappointed. My 4.5 year old said, "Mama, why are you so sad?" I actually cracked up- was I that obvious? I tried to explain that it wasn't what I was expecting, but it sounded profoundly silly coming out of my mouth. I'm trying to keep my addiction to curriculum under wraps, but I think they're on to me.

For the RRTL do they all teach the same phonograms and sounds is it the stories and spelling words get more challenging or something?

Yes, the same phonograms are taught in each level. I'm still new, and trying to schedule and read all of 3 to 4 levels of both curricula. There might be a few advanced phonograms that are added in levels 2 or 3--I'm not sure--but I know the basic phonograms are used in all 3 levels.

This is a typical O-G/Spalding type curriculum, except it's open and go, and there are workbooks pages and a reader.

The author, just today, created a Spalding like font, and there will be workbooks for everything in the font. I cannot tell you how excited I am. I was so excited I posted the code for this smilie at the yahoo group, even though no one could

quote]

My books arrived today, yippee! I can't wait to begin teaching my DD4 to read using RLtL. I'm planning to create a binder for her language arts that will initially contain tabs for (1) phonogram pages and (2) spelling lists, and, eventually, (3) workbook pages for LLtL. Ideally, I'd like them all to be in the same font; in fact, I can't imagine using different fonts. Will this new font be part of all the downloadable files associated with LLtL and RLtL? Can I see it somewhere? I really don't care for the Peterson cursive. I prefer a hand that is a little more traditional. Will the new font fit the bill?

Here are some Spalding worksheets. As you can see they are handwritten.

http://www.mychandlerschools.org/site/handlers/filedownload.ashx?moduleinstanceid=14444&dataid=10033&FileName=cursive_practice_sheets.pdf

The font now has a name. Handwriting through Literature. HtL has sleeker uppercase than these worksheets and instead of being handwritten, they are perfect computer models. Also, there is a midline and it's very helpful as a guide to the uppercase letters.

There is a link to a copy of the Ayre's list in HtL at the yahoo group that might still be up, but I'm not sure if it's still up and okay to share offlist.

Spalding and HtL are vertical fonts. Most people think of "traditional" as slanted and with semi-ornate uppercase.

Actually Spalding is a HAND; there is no font. HtL is a font and a hand.

I plan to use the spelling journal, but have not done so, yet. I started with Spalding, and can't help but think of it in Spalding terms, so will not use it until level 2 or 3.

All of the LLtL workbooks have been redesigned to include the two new handwriting fonts used in HLtL (Handwriting Lesson through Literature) which will be released this week I think? I've seen it and it's beauuuuuuutiful!

The revised LLtL workbooks including the new fonts became available, yesterday.

http://www.lulu.com/shop/search.ep?contributorId=956844&pn=5

There is now a RLtL Sample to download, too, for those that cannot use the preview feature. And Cathy Duffy put up her review of RLtL yesterday.

http://cathyduffyreviews.com/phonics_reading/reading-lessons-through-literature.htm

Oh, and LLtL 0 is being written, for those that want to officially start LLtL alongside RLtL 1, and are doing cursive-first , so are not yet ready for the copywork in LLtL 1.

And more about HLtL

HLtL includes handwriting practice of all the RLtL phonograms, but also included handwriting practice of the Webster's syllabary. Romalda Spalding in the 4th and last edition of her book, pointed out that students cannot write in cursive until they are spelling in syllables. Instead of starting with manuscript and just waiting till this happens on it's own, HLtL explicitly teaches the syllabary along with cursive-first.

HLtL comes in two fonts, a vertical Spalding-type font, and a traditional slanted font. Both come with explicit letter formation scripts and stroke explanations.

The LLtL workbooks also still include manuscript, italic, and italic cursive.

Okay, so this may be a stupid Queston, but please bear with me, I am still new to homeschooling and trying to wade through all of the different methodologies. I think a mix of CM and classical is what speaks most to me, maybe leaning closer to the classical. I have a kindergartner and this year we have done OPGTR with ETC and readers for his phonics/reading. We have been using Sonlight for our read alouds. I thought we would like the entire program more, but have just used the read alouds. So, the plan for next year was to introduce working via AAS and grammar with FLL and/or WWe (I have just started research the grammar portion).

Ok, so the question I have is, if we switched to LLTL, what would we drop? Just FLL and WWE? Sonlight readalouds too? do most of you have other readalouds going at the same time? Is the reading we have fine? No reason to switch over to RLTL, right?

Funny, I like the RLtL markings. They are the first set of markings that I really like. Even funnier, is that I am so OCD about some things, but I don't care that much about the system of markings as long as it's consistent. In another program I was either misunderstanding, or the author was breaking her own rules.

RLtL is reading and spelling, AND the new handwriting is becoming very much integrated with the Reading/Spelling to provide a truly comprehensive cursive-first approach. If you are a fan of cursive-first and choosing to adopt the new handwriting program, I would consider switching to RLtL even if the old program was working.

LLtL covers literature, grammar, writing and some handwriting. LLtL is plenty of literature, ESPECIALLY if you are doing TWTM and SOTW history reading, and the TWTM weekly library book student picked suggestions.

From TWTM:

"On each library visit, I had them check out the following books: one science book, one history book, one art or music appreciation book, one practical book (a craft, hobby, or Ă¢â‚¬Å“how-toĂ¢â‚¬), a biography or autobiography, a classic novel (or an adaptation suited to age), an imaginative storybook, a book of poetry. "

For those that are doing a more CM approach instead of a more TWTM approach, they are usually adding some of the AO electives, free reads, and/or main reading lists, if they want more.

RLtL is reading and spelling, AND the new handwriting is becoming very much integrated with the Reading/Spelling to provide a truly comprehensive cursive-first approach. If you are a fan of cursive-first and choosing to adopt the new handwriting program, I would consider switching to RLtL even if the old program was working.

Okay, so I am going to do more research on cursive-first, but I currently have no idea what that is. We have been using HWOT, and I am already looking to change that. While my son does like to say the little sayings while he writes, I just don't feel that it is what we want for handwriting. Could you explain a little of what it is? Would changing over to cursive at this point be appropriate? I just thought cursive came AFTER you were great at manuscript.

Hey, can someone post a link to a sample of a different type of markings than RLTL has?  I'm new to the O-G world (ok, we started AAS, but it was t-o-o s-l-o-w) and I'd like to see what other marks we're missing out on since we'll be doing RLTL.

cassafraz, about cursive-first I've only read this but it was interesting: http://www.donpotter.net/pdf/cursivefirst.pdf

I wasn't planning on cursive-firsting with my middle child, but she really wants to learn cursive and we're enjoying LLTL, so it looks like we'll start that soon.  I don't think I consider myself to be a cursive-firsty though

In the fall, my plan is to do LLTL1 or 2 (wherever we're at), RLTL for spelling (we finished OPGTR), and keep working on HLTL.  We'll also be starting SOTW1 with associated readings, and we'll likely do BFSU with the books from that too.  I'm still considering whether or not we're going to use the AO suggestions; I really like some of them, and it'll be fun to read them with this child.  But many of the history and science books won't be read-alouds for us; dd will likely read them on her own.  In the CM style, I'm not worried about having multiple read-alouds going at once; my kids have absolutely no trouble keeping up with multiple story lines.

:)

The levels are not lined up with grades. I would only use level 1 with a female gifted grade 1 student IF she had had a very academic K year, and was pushing HERSELF. I just wouldn't use level 1 with a 1st grade boy, except under pretty unusual circumstances.

The author is writing a year 0 LLtL, for all the people doing RLtL who are anxious to jump on the LLtL bandwagon. CM methods are not quick to add in language lessons, so a CM level 1 is not grade 1. AO doesn't start grammar until year 4.

LLtL is a CM and classical mix, so start grammar starts well before grade 4, but still, level 1 is a lot for first graders.

Cassafraz, cursive-first has it's pros and cons. Done wrong, especially with boys and children with even mild LDs is a disaster, and too often it's done wrong.

Manuscript first is new to last 100 years. But with the advent of manuscript first we have changed how we teach language arts and the content subjects along with it. We can't just revert back to teaching cursive-first while still using all modern methods, that require young children to write a lot.

CM and classical methods are old methods and can be used along with cursive-first. But the O-G methods, unadapted were NOT designed for cursive first. Romalda Spalding in the 4th edition explained a bit about how students must be spelling in syllables before being expected to write in cursive. Yes, students can COPY cursive earlier, but most cannot compose ORIGINAL sentences in cursive until they are spelling in syllables, not individual letters/phonograms

The Lessons through Literature programs are the first curriculum to tackle this issue head on. You can teach LLtL with manuscript first! There IS copywork in Italic and traditional manuscript. But there is the cursive-first option, with support, for those that want it.

I am tutoring remedial students who are anxious to begin cursive right away. But it's been tough juggling the rest of the curriculum to accommodate that, as the students can barely copy, and cannot write until I get their spelling well underway. The addition of the vintage syllabary, and the Elson Primer provided as copywork, are an important contribution to my cursive-first curriculum.

Like Anabel asked, I'm curious about other marking systems. This is the first program I've used with any of my kids where we've done markings like this (well, MFW 1st uses a few basic markings, but it's minimal), so I have no comparison.

It seems pretty standard to me, but...I have OTHER areas where every detail is a crisis, so I get it that others might have issues I cannot even see. My OCD is with handwriting. :lol: Thankfully I'm adaptable when it comes to markings, or my brain would just explode, because I obsess over handwriting like no one else I know except for Don Potter.

The levels are not lined up with grades. I would only use level 1 with a female gifted grade 1 student IF she had had a very academic K year, and was pushing HERSELF. I just wouldn't use level 1 with a 1st grade boy, except under pretty unusual circumstances.

I feel like level 1 of LLTL is very light. Sadly with the exception of the writing it has been too slow for my son. But I know he is an unusual case.

As long as the child is starting to read. I think it would fit the average (public schooled, as I am familiar with this standard) Kindergartener in second semester. As long as the books and fables are read to that child.

Ideally I would say RLTL 1 starting in K. And then adding LLTL half way through K. If it is too much you can always pull back and slow down. Better to have purchased curriculum that is too far ahead than curriculum that is too far behind, in my opinion.

I feel like level 1 of LLTL is very light. Sadly with the exception of the writing it has been too slow for my son. But I know he is an unusual case.

There are some very advanced students at this forum.

Over the decades I have done a lot of home daycare, Sunday School, was the oldest of several blended families growing up, and just had a lot of experience with "normal" kids. I even had a "normal" kid; the poor thing was like Marilyn on The Munsters. :lol: 

So if you KNOW your kid is advanced, then my suggestions will be off. And maybe even if you don't know your kid is advanced, but he is anyway. :D

There are some very advanced students at this forum.

Over the decades I have done a lot of home daycare, Sunday School, was the oldest of several blended families growing up, and just had a lot of experience with "normal" kids. I even had a "normal" kid; the poor thing was like Marilyn on The Munsters. :lol:

So if you KNOW your kid is advanced, then my suggestions will be off. And maybe even if you don't know your kid is advanced, but he is anyway. :D

Lol. I know my son is not the norm. That is why I was going by public school Kindergarten standards.

If I was going by my son I would say level 2 of LLTL is just fine for a young 4 year old.

Level 1 includes using quotation marks. I do not call that a typical PS 2nd semester K and first grade topic. :D Level 3 is already diagramming sentences.

This is kind of how I plan many of the K-3 priority subjects. 36 weeks x 3 x 40 minutes. That is 72 hours. There is so much to cover in those 72 hours. I just don't have time for things as advanced at using quotation marks correctly in K and 1, if I had to start at ground zero with them copying a syllabary. And I'm not diagramming sentences in 3rd either; not for "normal" kids. I think AO is right about waiting till at least grade 4 for that level of formal grammar instruction.

Yes, there are LOTS of first graders HERE that can learn to use quotation marks correctly at 6 years old. I agree. But even if they CAN, I'd personally rather take them outside and let them play in a puddle instead. Or let them learn to knit or paint. Or just READ another book.

Quotation marks are in level 1 because they are needed in copywork. I get that. I agree with quotation marks being in LLtL 1. I just personally would wait for "normal" 6 year olds to first do more of the above instead. They only get to be 6 once.

I hope i'm not being argumentative. On my part, this is really a PARENTING type decision, I think, even more than fully educational. I justĂ¢â‚¬Â¦I don't know. I made my boys learn to sit still and obey VERY young, and was rigid and pushy in many areas, but I justĂ¢â‚¬Â¦I don't know. Six was still just such babies to me. If they were learning to read a primer, and could sit still for a chapter book read aloud, that was enough.

I have never thought of quotation marks being so advanced. In fact they were the first punctuation thing my son picked up from reading. We used Preschool Prep Readers when he was learning to read and they use quotation marks from the start.

One day while we were reading he just told me that it means someone is taking.

The second punctuation mark he picked up was an apostrophe. And oddly for a long time he was reading words like won't as will not and don't as did not. I thought it was weird until I found out it seems to be the norms with precocious readers. However I remember learning apostrophes in second grade. I remember specifically because I was the only student that knew that will not is won't. The teacher was writing them on the board and we were answering her.

I found that teaching commas and full stops were pretty basic also. We just discuss them as we read.

I can't speak for LLTL 2 or 3 beyond what I can see in the previews, as I don't have the funds to get them yet. And possibly there is a huge leap and it would put level 2 out of the realm for the average 1st- 2nd grader. But that is the beauty of homeschooling. We can pull back and slow down, or come back and recover information when need be.

I am sure people can read our discussion and opinions and make a decision that they think fits their child's ability.

I am sure people can read our discussion and opinions and make a decision that they think fits their child's ability.

I have always found reading this type of discussion very helpful when I need to make a choice! So we'll just keep at it, for the benefit of the lurkers. :D

Commas are usually taught after full stops, and quotation marks after commas. With gifted kids, it's just different. They infer all sorts of stuff, that they don't need to be explicitly taught. By the time there is time for someone to have systematically gotten around to explicitly teaching a topic, they have figured it out for themselves. Almost nothing is new for them. 

How much one is able to infer is one of the biggest differences in levels of intelligence, and how fast a student can progress. Explicit teaching takes so much more time. Also gifted students study for pleasure. And all that pleasure time is spent inferring. They just keep exponentially getting further and further ahead.

If a class is only taught for 40 minutes a week and the student only spent 20 minutes on task, that is only 12 hours a year. Imagine the gifted student who is self-educating and inferring in the subject for 6 hours a week. They are covering a school year every 2 weeks!

Korrale, undoing contractions as one is reading aloud at 4, is way over the top gifted. :lol: I'm glad you remember the experience in second grade about contractions. So what people can learn here is that LLtL is lite for a child that can undo contractions as he reads. :lol: You and your little guy are funny. I'm so glad you joined this forum and the yahoo group. I enjoy you.

Cassafraz what will you be using for History, science and Bible? That would make a difference of how much more lit you might or might not need.

A lot of LLtL users are using AO and TWTM for those subjects, and that supplies a LOT of literature.

I plan on using SOTW for history. We will use Mr Q or BFSU for science, but that is up to my hubs as he is in charge of science. For Bible we use Betty Lukens felt set and will be doing Awana work.

Also, can I just say, this board is so awesome. Thank you to all of you who share your wisdom so freely. It is so very appreciated, especially by this newbie.

The author is writing a year 0 LLtL, for all the people doing RLtL who are anxious to jump on the LLtL bandwagon. CM methods are not quick to add in language lessons, so a CM level 1 is not grade 1. AO doesn't start grammar until year 4.

LLtL is a CM and classical mix, so start grammar starts well before grade 4, but still, level 1 is a lot for first graders.

I don't know about that. My kindergarten son (just turned 6) is finding LLtL 1 a good fit. I'm actually just using it as reinforcement, as we've been doing basic grammar and mechanics since the start of the school year. I originally was going to get level 2, but then decided to speed through Level 1 and do 2 next year. The content is fine, but the copywork is probably the biggest factor in the age-appropriateness of it. We did basic letter formation last year (K4) so he is doing fine with the amount of copywork - although his letters are not really staying within the lines. ;) He's a bit ahead of the curve so not all kindergarteners would want to write that much, but 2nd grade seems really late to me. I know the author uses level 1 with her 2nd grader, but I am guessing he is still working on fine motor skills.

Maybe it ramps up a lot. We're almost done with Beatrix Potter and so far it's easy peasy. I am not looking forward to 5 Little Peppers. I might have to get the audiobook for that one, or skip it.