Menu

I may have found what I'm looking for in a program that truly uses literature to study LA skills.

5LittleMonkeys

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just wanted to give this a bump and let others know that the 25% off coupon on page 9 is still working.

I do have a question for Kathy Jo or anyone else who can answer it. I'm looking at the workbooks for RLTL and they are marked vertical and slant. We use HWT for our handwriting program. Can someone confirm if the vertical book is the correct workbook to purchase? Thank you.

Neither are HWT.  You should look at the samples to see which fits better for you.  The "vertical" book has manuscript and the newish font that is being called "vertical" but has also been called "hunter" at various times.  The "slant" book has basic italic and a slanted cursive.  The samples are your best bet for figuring out which you want to pair with HWT; you can see a teeny example on the table of contents on the 4th page of each of them (teeny!).

:)

Anabel

Level 5 is being written/tested now; the plan is that it'll be ready for the fall, I believe.

I think level 5 will be out before level 4, and that level 4 will be available before fall.

Earlier in this thread Kathy Jo says that she is writing level 5 first (because her kids are using it), but publishing level 4 first (hopefully by fall, like Hunter said). I haven't had much hope that I could use level 5 next year because of this. Did I miss something or has she updated this on another board? *fingers crossed*

Ok, I have a question but I really don't have time to go through 10 pages to try to find the answer lol!!!

Is LLTL a comprehensive program?  Or will I still need separate spelling, grammar, writing, etc (not counting whatever it is that LLTL covers)?

I think that's what I'm aiming for this coming year - more comprehensive.

Secondly, I'm kind of getting the idea (from the first 3 pages, which I read) that this is probably going to be too young for my kids.  I have one in 5th and one in 3rd next year (which is what I would be buying for).  The 5th grader has been doing grammar since 2nd grade (FLL 1-3, GWG 4), the 3rd grader since K (FLL 1-2, GWG 2).   So is there a level that would apply to them?

Ok, I have a question but I really don't have time to go through 10 pages to try to find the answer lol!!!

Is LLTL a comprehensive program?  Or will I still need separate spelling, grammar, writing, etc (not counting whatever it is that LLTL covers)?

I think that's what I'm aiming for this coming year - more comprehensive.

Secondly, I'm kind of getting the idea (from the first 3 pages, which I read) that this is probably going to be too young for my kids.  I have one in 5th and one in 3rd next year (which is what I would be buying for).  The 5th grader has been doing grammar since 2nd grade (FLL 1-3, GWG 4), the 3rd grader since K (FLL 1-2, GWG 2).   So is there a level that would apply to them?

LLTL includes literature selections (a chapter from a classic children's book, a poem, and an aesop's fable every lesson), grammar instruction, and then copywork taken from the literature selection which reinforces the grammar instruction.  It also includes narrations and picture study.  It can be said to include handwriting through the copywork (as you can require "best hand").  It does not include writing per se.  The author believes strongly in learning to write through imitation (hence the copywork) although it can be argued that narration is itself in a way "writing".  It also does not include spelling (this is also gleaned from copywork).

Your third grader could easily go into level 3.  Level 4 is supposed to be released by the Fall.  

Level 5 may not come out in time for your 5th grader, however.    

Personally I include separate Spelling instruction.  I think some kids can pick up Spelling through copywork and reading quite fine.  Mine can not.  And when he is older I will probably also include a separate writing program. 

Since Level 5 is currently being written and Level 4 is still on hold, my bet is that Level 5 will be released first, certainly in time for a fall start.  

Also, Level 5 does include some writing instruction (we're in the test group).  There is an example story which the child narrates orally, then outlines, then writes either a literary analysis essay or a descriptive essay, followed by a written copia exercise, and there's a chance to write from their outline. All of those activities happen on different days, not all on one day :). For my 5th grader, that's pretty good, and it's causing a lot less hair-pulling than WWS1 was.

We're new to prepared dictation, but we're doing it the way the author describes so that it counts for spelling, and I love love love the commonplace book assignments.  She's also added in a reminder to review memory work, which has been very helpful.  We're still at the beginning, so we're still in the "review" part of grammar, but it's definitely there, and we've already started diagramming (FWIW dd has previously done MCT through Voyage level and FLL4).

I also want to add that both Sweetie and I agree that this has been the nicest LA program we've done so far.  It's gentle and enjoyable, and it covers the bases that I want it to.  

Here is Kathy Jo from post #67

Lord willing, Level 4 will be out next September. I'm actually writing 5 first because we need it, but my focus for publishing will be Level 4. I also need it for next September, so there's an extra prod. :-) 

My hope is actually to have both 4 and 5 out next fall, but I'm not sure if I can write AND proof both of them in that amount of time. And the answer keys. :001_rolleyes:  I was so tired of diagramming sentences after finishing Level 3.

Since Level 5 is currently being written and Level 4 is still on hold, my bet is that Level 5 will be released first, certainly in time for a fall start.  

I wanted to quote what she wrote for anyone else who is waiting, but I hope you are right. :) Knowing that you are beta testing gives me extra hope. I think I will go ahead and plan on using Level 5 next fall. I'm sure she will update her progress by July/August. That will leave me time to find a plan B.

Rigid CMers say not to allow the child to read ahead. Just no! I'm not against doing that so mom doesn't have to keep replanning. There are so many other good books a child can read.

But if YOU really don't mind replanning...you could just skip narrations, or have her narrate something else. The copywork and grammar will be fine as stand alone lessons.

If I were to do LLtL, AAS, and McGuffey & Treadwell readers next year for 1st, would my English bases be covered? Also I assumed we would do level 1, but I saw it said that level 1 for a first grade boy wouldn't be recommended.

Did anyone but Hunter say that Level 1 for a first grade boy was too much? I don't think that is the opinion of those of us who are using it with young children. :) The grammar is exceptionally light compared to first grade programs. Lots of time on learning the vowels, months of the year, days of the week, some basic capitalization and punctuation (this is really kinder-level stuff). The author talks about delaying grammar so that she can teach skills when the child is ready to learn them quickly, so if your child hasn't yet had any kind of grammar/language instruction but is doing well with letter formation, then you may love Level 1. Here is what she says in the intro of Level 1:

"Level 1 is an intentionally light program. First grade should be a time for getting children comfortable with reading and handwriting. Most young children are simply not ready for more advanced grammar, and the grammar for which they are ready can be taught very quickly when they are just a little older. Although children can begin learning the parts of speech in the first grade, the simple fact is that one can take two years beginning in first grade to teach the parts of speech, or one can take one year beginning in second grade to teach the parts of speech. It’s simply more efficient to wait until the child is truly ready, and it leaves more time to focus on reading and handwriting during first grade. An advanced child—one who was reading and writing comfortably in Kindergarten—might be best served by skipping Level 1 and going straight into Level 2, or by using Level 1 in Kindergarten.

The focus of Level 1 is to begin teaching usage and mechanics of the English language through copywork. Although I have written lessons for many (but not all) of the Level 1 lessons, the real lessons are truly the copywork selections. It is in copywork that children will learn and internalize proper spelling, capitalization, and punctuation while practicing handwriting. The lessons that I’ve written for Level 1 merely point out and reinforce concepts to the child before he begins his copywork. Children are introduced to punctuation marks, quotations, and contractions; they then practice writing them.

In Level 2, the child learns the parts of speech as well as lists of helping verbs, prepositions, etc. Examples and exercises consist of a sentence or passage from the literature or from a poem. In the exercises, the child takes what he has learned from the lesson and demonstrates understanding. The repetition necessary for mastery comes from constant review in the exercises, not from long exercises."

I tried using Level 1 with my kindergartener, but since we have already been using McGraw-Hill's LA workbook, the grammar is waaaaay too easy. I also don't like the literature selections, so I just printed out selected copywork and we will use that. I am planning on using level 2 for first grade, and it looks like it will be a good fit, both with the literature and skills. Since we like worksheets, I have scheduled grammar worksheets that reinforce the lessons. I can't tell now if he will be ready for what sounds like a lot of diagramming in second grade. If we need to, we will do GWG 3 after LLTL 2 as it seems like a smaller step up.

I am not criticizing LLTL - the approach works for many people. Again, if you delay grammar and have a bright child who is starting from scratch, then it may work out. But my son was ready for grammar long before he was ready to do a ton of copywork, and I think that is probably pretty common. Even FLL introduces basic parts of speech in the first level. My opinion is that you can think of this as either a grammar program or a copywork program. If you want a grammar program, then place according to your child's level of grammar skill and their ability to follow old-fashioned stories, and adjust copywork as needed - in other words, don't let the amount of copywork be your main factor when deciding when he can do Level 1. However, if you want a copywork program, then you can place according to the amount of copywork your child can do and use the copywork to reinforce whatever grammar you are doing on the side.

HTH!

LLTL is very light with grammar. So it is a nice start. I would.not say it is too hard for a first grade boy. For my son the most challenging part is the copy work. Everything else he has breezed through. But... I should memtion, he could read before we started. As a little more of a challenge I make him read all the selections, and I read the. To him also. So we read them a few times and he then narrates them to me. Sometimes he draws a picture too. We also make a list of vocabulary words that he points out that he does not know. For copy work I have printed out all the work and I have my son trace it.

Now that is how we adjusted the program. But you could easily take it the other way. Have no expectation of him reading the works himself. Read all the read alouds to him. Introduce the grammar and do one sentence of copy work.

Well...the grammar is taught through copywork, so in my opinion I would place a student in the program according to their ability to copy.

If I were doing cursive-first, as many are, I wouldn't expect a newly reading 1st grader to be able to copy the copywork in LLtL 1. And I wouldn't be teaching that student quotation marks that year. If the student was reading at 3, 4, or 5 years old, then that is different. I'm not at all a fan of the K is new 1st grade trend.

I too prefer to teach the parts of speech early and not after a student can copy dialogue correctly, but the methods in LLtL are classical and CM, and that is how many classical and CM educators teach grammar. To use LLtL with a different teaching philosophy requires tweaking, and there is no way to entirely line the LLtL levels up with some other philosophies that are not based on copywork.

If an instructor is doing cursive-first and following AO like CM guidelines, I would NOT do LLtL 1 until 2nd grade. I know there are other people including the author using LLtL 1 for second grade. The introductions now all say LLtL 1 is for first grade and Pathway LLtL is for K4 and K5, so that is the official grade assignment I guess, but Pathway includes many of the AO year 1 books, and the closest line up is LLtL 1 for AO year 2.

If I were to do LLtL, AAS, and McGuffey & Treadwell readers next year for 1st, would my English bases be covered? Also I assumed we would do level 1, but I saw it said that level 1 for a first grade boy wouldn't be recommended.

I think that's a lot. I don't think I could finish all that, even with a little girl who wanted to do nothing but play school with me all day.

I think that depends. I went to a private school in B.C. in early elementary. We were required to do quite a lot of writing. I still have a scrapbook from 1st Grade.

Private schools may do what they do, but the BC Curriculum -- which nearly all BC schools follow, because their funding is tied to it -- is really light on the writing and grammar compared to what is going on here. They're required to know their alphabetic sounds and about 100 words to fluency by the end of first.

Here is the standards on conventions in writing, for the end of first:

"use some features and conventions of language to express meaning in their writing and representing, including

–
complete simple sentences
–
“s†to form plural of familiar words
–
capital letters at the beginning of people’s names and of sentences, and capitalize the pronoun “Iâ€
–
a period to mark the end of a sentence"

The suggested evaluations include such suggestions as "use uppercase and lowercase letters with some consistency."

Private schools may do what they do, but the BC Curriculum -- which nearly all BC schools follow, because their funding is tied to it -- is really light on the writing and grammar compared to what is going on here. They're required to know their alphabetic sounds and about 100 words to fluency by the end of first.

Here is the standards on conventions in writing, for the end of first:

"use some features and conventions of language to express meaning in their writing and representing, including

–
complete simple sentences
–
“s†to form plural of familiar words
–
capital letters at the beginning of people’s names and of sentences, and capitalize the pronoun “Iâ€
–
a period to mark the end of a sentence"

The suggested evaluations include such suggestions as "use uppercase and lowercase letters with some consistency."

This is so much more developmentally appropriate, than doing more. It's enough, and enough is…well…enough.

My DS5 will technically be in K next year and we will be doing LLtL1 and RLtL2. I know that he could do LLtL1 now, but our focus is on finishing up Progressive Phonics first (which has worked wonderfully). We did half of AAS1 this year for PK4, but switched to RLtL1 (we started at lesson 14) and have been MUCH happier.

LLtL1, AAS, and McGuffey/Treadwell readers may be too much for 1st for many kids, but I think it really depends on how many days/weeks you school. We plan to only do LLtL1 twice per week. As I recall, there are 108 lessons, so I expect it will take us about a year and a half to finish, which is why we are beginning it over the summer. If you plan to do LLtL 3 days per week and AAS twice per week, along with the readers, it could be feasible. I just prefer to leave Fridays for other activities. You could also just switch to RLtL, which uses the Elson readers and teaches spelling, and be done with it. 

This is so much more developmentally appropriate, than doing more. It's enough, and enough is…well…enough.

I personally think kids at Grade One are capable of learning so much more. I remember loving my early years. My children love copywork and writing. I don't believe in holding a child back that wants to learn.

I personally think kids at Grade One are capable of learning so much more. I remember loving my early years. My children love copywork and writing. I don't believe in holding a child back that wants to learn.

I don't believe in holding back children either, but some are just not ready yet.

My oldest was a late bloomer. Even with a September birthday and starting K at 6, he didn't learn to read. First grade at 7 was a slow and painful process with me doing a LOT of afterschooling. He caught up at the end of second. By third his teacher didn't know there had ever been a problem.

At 19, he had graduated with a 2 year business degree, after putting HIMSELF through school including paying for his health insurance. Despite paying for school, he had $5,000.00 in the bank and no debt and took off for Las Vegas and made a nice life for himself there. So this wasn't a lazy or disabled child. He just was NOT ready yet. Other countries know that it is not cost efficient to rush the first couple years. Too many boys especially are NOT ready yet.

If this child wasn't old for his grade and if I hadn't have been ALL over the situation, this is a child who would have been forever lost, because of the early push, and the push in the early 1990s was NOTHING like today. My son could not have started LLtL 1 until he was 8. And there was NOTHING wrong.

My younger boy was 2E. Who knows if he COULD have done LLtL 1 at 6, because he wasn't even really talking yet. But a year later he was reading adult novels. Output didn't really happen in the early years. But by the end of 3rd grade he wanted the chance to LEARN. That baby was SO frustrated by being held back it broke my heart. I TRULY understand what you are saying about NOT holding children back, and that some can do a lot more than people give them the chance to do. BUT, grade 1 is just becoming too advanced for many of our children, even the "normal" and "gifted" ones.

What NASDAQ posted is a good solid 1st grade set of goals. Goals neither of my boys could have met. Boys that were both referred to as "gifted" later on.

As a little girl, if I'd been given the chance, I could have done LLtL at 6 and I would have loved it. I was a precocious child, though, and we all knew it. If my mom had homeschooled and used it with me, she wouldn't have thought every little boy should also being doing that for 1st grade. My brother was 14 months younger and can run circles around me NOW, but he couldn't have done LLtL 1 at 6 or even 7, and she wouldn't have expected him to.

I know the author calls LLtL 1 "lite" and first grade  but...I don't get you all. I don't. They have only been out of diapers for a couple years and most cannot even cut their own meat yet.

I guess that I'm just not seeing the difficulty in listening to an age appropriate read-aloud, narrating a bit about the story or a picture, and doing a sentence of copywork a couple times per week. I realize that not all kids are there yet at 6-7, but it doesn't seem particularly advanced either.

The gap is actually widening. I have some common core math materials (Horizons) and to accord with the BC curriculum I'd have to use them 18 months late. Personally I don't think it's wildly efficient to force more and more learning into the k-2 time. American students seem to start strong in international tests and fall off over time.

I have some 1967 Lippencott readers. They handle phonics in first, starting from zero.

That's different from an accelerated child. I don't know why people are resistant to recognizing that just because a bright child can do it doesn't make it generally appropriate for children of a given age.

I have gifted kids, and when my first was in 1st I felt like FLL wasn't enough for her.  We got through FLL1 and 2 and started on Grammar Island that year.  

Since then, though, she and I have done 4 more years of homeschooling, and I think I'm *finally* starting to understand the maxim that homeschooling is a marathon, not a sprint.  In that time we've done a lot of grammar, but I don't know that we really needed to.  As she hits puberty, I find that I'm looking at my 2nd daughter (now in K) and realizing just how young she is, and just how unnecessary all the heavy-duty grammar was with her sister.  

If she really wants to learn grammar, I'm happy to support her in that.  Her best friend (a 1st grader) just started LLTL1, and we seriously thought about doing it at the same time for fun.  In the end, she'd rather play Lego, and I'm good with that.  Next year, when she's in 1st, we'll do LLTL1, and it'll be slow and lovely.  I think that by the time the program is finished, it'll cover all the grammar I want it to (I apparently have a lot of faith in Kathy Jo), and we will have had a nice time doing it.  There's something to be said for that.

I have gifted kids, and when my first was in 1st I felt like FLL wasn't enough for her.  We got through FLL1 and 2 and started on Grammar Island that year.  

Since then, though, she and I have done 4 more years of homeschooling, and I think I'm *finally* starting to understand the maxim that homeschooling is a marathon, not a sprint.  In that time we've done a lot of grammar, but I don't know that we really needed to.  As she hits puberty, I find that I'm looking at my 2nd daughter (now in K) and realizing just how young she is, and just how unnecessary all the heavy-duty grammar was with her sister.  

If she really wants to learn grammar, I'm happy to support her in that.  Her best friend (a 1st grader) just started LLTL1, and we seriously thought about doing it at the same time for fun.  In the end, she'd rather play Lego, and I'm good with that.  Next year, when she's in 1st, we'll do LLTL1, and it'll be slow and lovely.  I think that by the time the program is finished, it'll cover all the grammar I want it to (I apparently have a lot of faith in Kathy Jo), and we will have had a nice time doing it.  There's something to be said for that.

My son is already reading pretty well (like he read Are You My Mother and Put Me in the Zoo to me easily this week). We do AAS for about 15 min a day and we are wrapping up PAL's reading program so we will just be reading from readers next year (10-15 min a day). I will read literature aloud next year and might pull copywork from it - LLtL may just have more than I want to do along with the read alouds. A book list/reading plan may be more of what I am looking for.

I am sorry that these questions have likely been answered in all of these page… but can anyone tell me:

1.) Other than the obvious digital vs. hardcopy format, is there any other difference in the pdf vs print version?  (I do know that the art is full color in pdf and black and white in print.)  I am wondering if one has been updated with various changes Kathy Jo has mentioned…?  (eta: I prefer hardcopy items unless I'm printing a bunch of coloring/copywork pages since I just find the format easier for me to manage.  So if they're the same, that's the way I'll go.)

2.) In the workbook, is there a font that is similar to Zaner-Bloser cursive?  That is what DD is currently learning.  Not sure if it's a big deal, really…. Just curious what you guys are doing that are using the WB and may not have your "font" represented?

I have had to wait a while since I first heard about this (major financial expenses) but I AM SO EXCITED to finally have the go-ahead from DH to purchase LLTL!!  (And maybe even RLTL for DS-soon-learning-to-read!)  I just want to make sure I get the right thing.

3.) One final question, at the risk of sounding cheap, are there any coupon codes?  I do think Kathy Jo's curriculum is worth every penny, but a mama's gotta ask!! ;)

I'm trying to read through all of the posts to find an answer to my question and I think I'm starting to confuse myself.  So i'm just going to ask.  I have a rising 1st grader (finishing up LOE foundations level B) and a rising 3rd grader (natural speller, very early reader, loves grammar, hates writing of all kinds).  Both do cursive. I want to use RLTL and LLTL.  Do I do the following:

For 1st grader: RLTL and LLTL level 1

for 3rd grader: LLTL level 3

Is that all I need for a complete language arts program for both of them?  it seems odd for the 1st grader to be doing two programs while the 3rd grader only does one?  Am I missing something? what would you all recommend?

Thank you so much!!!

• 1 month later...

Now that everyone is using LLTL, what do you all think? I'm struggling a bit with the no answer key thing. For example, we originally classified Toto as a "person" noun, but when we got to "thing" nouns, the author made a point of saying Scarecrow and the tin man are living things (in this case). So, we probably shouldn't have classified Toto as a person but a living thing. (Not that I think is wholly matters...just saying it's difficult to know the author's intent for the lessons.) I'm also finding the sentence structure a little too complex for early grammar.

Now that everyone is using LLTL, what do you all think?

I'm using LLTL/ELTL 3 (the author recently changed the name) with my 8yo son. We are only on lesson 16, but so far it is great. My ds has read most of the lit for this level so I am giving him the choice to reread, and he chose not to read the first book. This isn't causing a problem in any way. The grammar lessons are appropriately challenging even though we have been through MCT Island. The copywork is longer than we are used to, but I am glad. He balks less when the book says this is today's copywork rather than Mom Says.

I am more excited than ever to use ELTL 5 with my older next year - it sounds like it will be out by next fall for sure. :D

I'm struggling a bit with the no answer key thing.

There is an answer key for level 3 and up. For now, I think you are right to not worry about it too much. Little things like that aren't going to matter.

I'm also finding the sentence structure a little too complex for early grammar.

I am pleasantly surprised by the complexity of the chosen sentences. For a program that is billed as being very gentle, I was expecting easier sentences. I definitely wouldn't be afraid to use this program behind grade level.

I'm using level 1 of ELTL with my second grader and he loves it.  Language arts and handwriting have not come as easily for him as they have for oldest dd, so the level is just right.  I feel like he could handle more grammar, but the writing in the next level would be too much.  After looking at samples of level 3 and the book lists for levels 4-6, I am pretty sure I will be putting all of my kids in a level behind their grade level.  Even my oldest, for whom language arts is a strength, I have decided to put in level 4 next year for fifth grade.

• 1 month later...

Mine is the old version, a 500+ page hardcover, and it's comfortable for me. The new format added 200 pages, but it seemed like it wouldn't be much thicker according to the spine width calculator. I also wanted to keep the cost down, which one book does. I've never liked the 8.5 x 11 size books because I find them difficult to read across the page. 

I'm rambling. Anyway, I'm glad you're not unhappy with the size. :-) And now I should probably get off the forum and actually go do something to make that separation between 1 and 2 happen.  :001_rolleyes:

Hi, I am intrigued:) What will be covered by the extra 200 pages added to levels 1 and 2 after you separate a combined 1/2 volume into two different books? Thanks a lot.

LLATL looks great. But then I find myself thinking we already read and narrate. We already read poetry and do picture study. (We use AO.) And I just got simply spelling to have spelling through copy work lessons. I really like the grammar lessons in LLATL. Similar to KISS grammar, using real literature, only with an easy lay out. I guess this is just a nice all in one. Hmm. Not sure if dumping what I am doing and using this would simplify my life or not. :D

I think that depends. I went to a private school in B.C. in early elementary. We were required to do quite a lot of writing. I still have a scrapbook from 1st Grade.

As a 1st grader(7 years old in Russia) I was required to write 3 paragraph compositions( primary using a picture study or a particular topic), narrations, dictations (at least 1 page long),copywork etc. for a mother tongue. Reading program was separate from writing.

I have a question for those of you who are trying to teach a really young child(3.5) on how to read and spell. I have SWR which I used for my oldest daughter at age 5. She entirely skipped all readers and started reading at 4th grade level in less than a year. She is 11 and read all recommended books for next few levels of ELTL(she reads at adult level), so SWR worked just fine for her but she did not like marking for spelling and her penmanship has never been very good. My son enjoys working with AAS and doing so well so I do not feel I need to switch to anything here. We use it to improve his spelling. He learnt reading using SWR also. My youngest is a bright child but I do not see her doing any marking if we use either SWR or RLTL curricula. Will you use it almost 4 years old child?  Phonograms in both programs are the same (O-G/Spalding method) and I am making activity pages for her using Cursive First font with some modifications for capital letters. I  personally like Spenserian font but it will be overkill even for my 7 years old son. I will introduce both manuscript and cursive fonts to be familiar but want to use cursive for most of copywork in the future. I am going to use letter tiles for her also to minimize the quantity of writing/copywork to do. I call manuscript  as "reading a book" font so my kids will know when to use it. Any ideas or suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

RLTL uses the Ayers list plus the words in the Elson Readers that are not on the Ayers list. If you're wondering which level to start in, level 1 is best for a student who is unfamiliar with marking words. I, personally, wouldn't start higher than level 2; doing so would be like starting in the middle of the spelling list in Spalding--and the method is not designed to work that way.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

How is everyone liking ELTL now that it's been out for a while and more of the levels are out? Would I be better off sticking to FLL/WWE or is this program just as good, better, worse? Is it as complete as FLL/WWE with good retention? Does it seem like it would prepare a child for a rigorous middle/high school program?

We started ELTL after Christmas, and we're on summer break now.  I have one doing RLTL1 for spelling (she already reads) and who started ELTL1 but stopped by spring break, not because she didn't like it but because she started it earlier than I would have and decided she wanted to stop (her best friend is a year older and was starting it too).  My other dd was one of the testers for ELTL5. Sorry if this is redundant, but I haven't gone through the thread to see what I've said before.

I like ELTL better than the other things we've done, at this point.  My elder has done FLL1, 2, and 4, WWE 1, 2, and 4, and part of WWS1, plus MCT Island and Town levels, and part of Voyage.  ELTL1 has been gentle and slow, but not boring or repetitious.  ELTL 5 is definitely teaching my elder some new grammar, including diagramming, and she loves doing the Commonplace Book (she hates writing things out by hand, so that's amazing!).  She did NOT enjoy WWS1, but she is enjoying the writing parts of ELTL5.  She's naturally verbal and writes easily, which I hear can actually be an impediment to using WWS1, so I'm really happy to find something that teaches her writing skills that she will accept.  I also don't think the assignments are all that difficult; I don't think being a natural writer is necessary for ELTL5.

I also really appreciate that there is poetry, fables, art, and literature all right there.  Aesop in ELTL1 is enjoyable, and my dd in ELTL5 laughs out loud at the Nasruddin stories.  Dd likes that the grammar is coming out of the literature.  It's all so nicely pulled together.

I'm curious to see how the fall goes.  My younger will be picking up RLTL1 from where we left off, and starting ELTL1 again.  My elder will be starting up again in the middle of ELTL5, and I'm curious to see how much "summer slide" we'll have.  There's always some, right?  But she already knows more grammar than I ever did, thank goodness.  

Hope this helps, at least a little!