Menu

I may have found what I'm looking for in a program that truly uses literature to study LA skills.

5LittleMonkeys

My other dd was one of the testers for ELTL5.

I like ELTL better than the other things we've done, at this point.  My elder has done FLL1, 2, and 4, WWE 1, 2, and 4, and part of WWS1, plus MCT Island and Town levels, and part of Voyage.  ... ELTL 5 is definitely teaching my elder some new grammar, including diagramming, and she loves doing the Commonplace Book (she hates writing things out by hand, so that's amazing!).  She did NOT enjoy WWS1, but she is enjoying the writing parts of ELTL5.  She's naturally verbal and writes easily, which I hear can actually be an impediment to using WWS1, so I'm really happy to find something that teaches her writing skills that she will accept.  I also don't think the assignments are all that difficult; I don't think being a natural writer is necessary for ELTL5.

I also really appreciate that there is poetry, fables, art, and literature all right there.  ... my dd in ELTL5 laughs out loud at the Nasruddin stories.  Dd likes that the grammar is coming out of the literature.  It's all so nicely pulled together.

... My elder will be starting up again in the middle of ELTL5, and I'm curious to see how much "summer slide" we'll have.  There's always some, right?  But she already knows more grammar than I ever did, thank goodness.  

Hope this helps, at least a little!

:)

Yes, it does. :) Thank you very much!

I am sooo tempted to get ELTL5 for my dd now...

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've read the WHOLE thread.  :coolgleamA:  Whew.

But now I'm more confused.  I have a boy who is about to turn 10.  Going in to 4th grade.  He has been very slow to catch reading. He's just now really getting going - light bulb went off I guess.  He is currently reading A Series of Unfortunate Events book one and doesn't struggle too much except for multisyllabic words (he missed "puttanesca" :001_rolleyes: )  Writing is a big issue.  I would say he struggles some with pencil phobia.  Cannot sit still long enough to do boring workbook pages.  I have worked with him some on copywork but I am too streched thin to keep making them as I go.  He also is not very good at all with manuscript to I began cursive.  I think I want to move forward with ELtL level 2.  I'm ready in 4th to start grammar, I like all the samples I have seen and I know I can modify the copywork a bit if there are selections that are too long.

Here are my questions:

If he is reading at the level stated above, do I need to continue reading instruction with RLtL? He completed SSRW and I believe knows his phonograms pretty well, however it was not an OG method so it might be like starting over.  He needs to progress in his reading, figuring out rules for multisyllable words, and needs lots of help with spelling.  Is RLtL a good choice?  I can't imagine starting at level 1, level 2 I guess would work, but the readers look soooooo easy.  Or would something like LoE Essentials work better for firming up phonics and spelling?

If I do the copywork as outlined in ELtL, do I still need the handwriting program? Can he just copy the samples?  If so, should I get the workbook so I have pages to print for him to use?  I don't think he's quite ready to just see it on a tablet and copy it to a comp notebook.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

If he's reading well, you might not want to do reading instruction with RLTL.  I'm one of several people using RLTL as a spelling program.  My daughter is a solid reader, but we're working through the phonograms and then doing the spelling lists.  It totally works just for that.  I'm considering pulling out the reading part so that she can practice reading aloud (since that's a slightly different skill and we haven't been doing it since finishing OPGTR) but our focus will still be on spelling.  Kathy Jo recommends starting with RLTL1 if the child hasn't ever done an OG program before, but suggests going at a faster pace with older kids working through RLTL1.  There are a lot of phonograms to learn, and if the child hasn't learned them before it would be really overwhelming to jump in at level 2.

My dd hasn't had any handwriting instruction before, so we're using HLTL.  If your son is fine copying the sample, and forms the letters correctly, I'm guessing that you wouldn't need to do HLTL.  But yes, if he needs samples, you'll want the workbook.

HTH!

If he's reading well, you might not want to do reading instruction with RLTL.  I'm one of several people using RLTL as a spelling program.  My daughter is a solid reader, but we're working through the phonograms and then doing the spelling lists.  It totally works just for that.  I'm considering pulling out the reading part so that she can practice reading aloud (since that's a slightly different skill and we haven't been doing it since finishing OPGTR) but our focus will still be on spelling.  Kathy Jo recommends starting with RLTL1 if the child hasn't ever done an OG program before, but suggests going at a faster pace with older kids working through RLTL1.  There are a lot of phonograms to learn, and if the child hasn't learned them before it would be really overwhelming to jump in at level 2.

My dd hasn't had any handwriting instruction before, so we're using HLTL.  If your son is fine copying the sample, and forms the letters correctly, I'm guessing that you wouldn't need to do HLTL.  But yes, if he needs samples, you'll want the workbook.

HTH!

Anabel, this is very very helpful!

After looking through the samples more I think I'll just back up on ELtL to level one too.  We have not done that literature and it's too good to skip.  Plus the copywork is more challenging in level 2 and that's where he needs some work.

Can anyone tell me... hardcopy vs ebook?  I see the paper version of 1&2 combined for like $33 on Amazon.  Seems like quite a savings to me.  I recall a complaint or something earlier in the thread that it's too big?  Would it not be pretty easy to split it yourself into 2 parts and spiral?

I'm going to get the ebook of RLtL 1 and skip the reader.  I hope to move really quickly through the spelling.  I wonder if anyone can tell me a few words on the last couple of spelling lists from level 1?

Still super undecided on handwriting and buy/not buy a workbook for ELtL.  He's been working through the first cursive book of HWT, but he goes sooooooo slllllooooooowwww forming each and every letter attempting perfection.  And I notice it seems like he has to try too hard to make his letters vertical when his natural tendency seems to slant.  So I think I might have to drop it and find a more traditional slant cursive.  But I would hate to get the HLtL and start him that far over with forming all the phonograms.  He will really and truly look at me like "you have got to be kidding me".  Anyone have additional advice?

My DD is 1st grade and we have just started using ELTL1.  DD has already seen an OT and has some motor planning issues.  For copywork, I use Start Write software and print up her sheets using a manuscript font.  Eventually, I plan to teach New American Cursive font and typing.

ETA: I purchased the first book on sale at Amazon.  I'm tired of pre-buying curriculum and the choice not being a good fit.

Anabel, this is very very helpful!

After looking through the samples more I think I'll just back up on ELtL to level one too.  We have not done that literature and it's too good to skip.  Plus the copywork is more challenging in level 2 and that's where he needs some work.

Can anyone tell me... hardcopy vs ebook?  I see the paper version of 1&2 combined for like $33 on Amazon.  Seems like quite a savings to me.  I recall a complaint or something earlier in the thread that it's too big?  Would it not be pretty easy to split it yourself into 2 parts and spiral?

I'm going to get the ebook of RLtL 1 and skip the reader.  I hope to move really quickly through the spelling.  I wonder if anyone can tell me a few words on the last couple of spelling lists from level 1?

Still super undecided on handwriting and buy/not buy a workbook for ELtL.  He's been working through the first cursive book of HWT, but he goes sooooooo slllllooooooowwww forming each and every letter attempting perfection.  And I notice it seems like he has to try too hard to make his letters vertical when his natural tendency seems to slant.  So I think I might have to drop it and find a more traditional slant cursive.  But I would hate to get the HLtL and start him that far over with forming all the phonograms.  He will really and truly look at me like "you have got to be kidding me".  Anyone have additional advice?

I think you can't go wrong with ELTL level 1 or 2.  We're using both here.  You should know that there isn't really much grammar instruction in level 1 though.  If you were wanting to begin grammar, do level 2.

I have the hardcopy, and I am pleased with it.  I am thinking of having it split and bound just for ease though.  (Very inexpensive fix.) Especially when we won't be using both levels.  You are right - the price is a bargain!

Like Anabel, we are using RLTL as a spelling program for my big girls.  They are both fluent in reading, but I see the benefit of learning phonograms and rules.  It's already helping me teach them myself when we come across a word that is spelled "unusually" kwim?

As for handwriting, I would just suggest to include handwriting instruction with RLTL.  Like Spalding, the phonograms are introduced, and you're to write them while saying the sound.  Just make sure your DS is forming the letters correctly - I would suggest cursive, and you can find free instruction/words to use for the strokes online - each time he learns a new phonogram.  I started this way with my DD7yo, and only recently added additional handwriting practice because she likes it.  So you would introduce a phonogram, show him how to write it in cursive, and have him write it 6-10 times on his own.  (He will practice and revisit phonograms through the week, and in his copywork.)  This may make it not seem so babyish as well.  I think it might feel redundant to do RLTL and a handwriting program at his age.  Just my thoughts.

We've had such a nice time with this program, and I hope you find what works for you!

ETA: As for the optional workbook.  It's truly optional.  You could write out the copywork for your son to copy on your own paper.  I did go ahead a buy it because I have 5 kids.  I really appreciate not having to do the work myself.  And it's non-consumable.  Did I mention I have 5 kids - lol- the next ones in line already have a workbook ready to go. ;)

I haven't started this program yet, but I just bought and received the combined leves 1&2 from Amazon.  The size doesn't bother me.  It'a a teacher's manual, not a book for the kids to really use or write in, so I don't see the thick book as an issue. 

I have the ebook and a friend has the 1&2 combined book.  I like the amount of space the ebook takes on my shelf, but the hard copy is really nice too.  I may end up switching to that, or printing out some of the pages that I wish I had more accessible.

HLTL comes in a more slant-y option, especially compared to HWT.  If he's working that hard, he might be game to switch.  I'd ask him what he thinks.  My K-er (last year) wanted cursive rather than manuscript, so that made it easy for me.

Words in the last couple lessons of RLTL1 include cheer, guest, easy, coach, town, matter, tore, sleepy, pony, galloping, each, maid, kettle, sleigh, Christmas, Easter, again, know, about...

There are a lot of easy words too (sad, box, hid) but those look like the more complicated words in those lessons.

Edited by anabelneri