Menu

If you know your very big dog is jumping on

mom31257

someone in your yard who is yelling for help, would you take the time to look for the remote to the dog's training collar or come out and help the person? 

Today, I had to go to a house to pick something up. I knew they had dogs because I've watched dd go up to the door. I'm naturally a little afraid of dogs, and I usually try to be friendly with them so they won't think I'm an intruder or something. 

Well, this dog jumped up and almost knocked me over. I tried to get it to stop, and when i told it no firmly, I felt like it started growling a little more and changing behavior. This scared me, and I know dogs can sense you are scared, so I yelled for them to help me. I did this a few times. My dd was in the car and didn't realize this was going on (had earbuds in) until I yelled for her. She came and distracted the dog so we got to the door. All of this happened and the owner and the children who knew this was happening, never opened the door one time. 

She said he's a puppy who just wants to play and won't bite. She told me all about the remote thing, but I didn't know that. I was very scared it was going to bite me. I just think they should have come out immediately instead of taking the time to look for a stupid remote. 

Am I crazy?

Their 10 year old dd told the mother that I was out there with the dog jumping on me. They told me all this with a laugh and a grin. Why didn't she just come out herself? Why didn't the mom tell her to come out and help while she looked for it?  

I was very shaken and, honestly, had my stomach in knots for quite some time. I have reflux issues, and it's bothered me all afternoon and evening. After I got in the car, I got fairly angry because then I was able to really think about all she said. 

Nope, not crazy.  I have a big dog who is uber friendly (doesn't jump on people, but gets really excited when he sees new people or old people or just about anyone - and his tail could be a lethal weapon since he wags it so hard.)  I do whatever I can to make guests comfortable, especially people who are not dog savvy and may not be able to ready is body language as friendly.  I use a leash in the house when I expecting visitors that either haven't been here before or are afraid of dogs.  I couldn't imagine a cavalier attitude about my dog's interaction with other people.  And the remote for a training collar?  That just give the the willies.  How do you know the dog won't react by getting violent in response to the shock? 

you're dealing with an inconsiderate owner.  they should have been out there hauling the dog off, not looking for a collar.  if they knew you were coming, the dogs shouldn't have been free outside at all.

If a (not otherwise viscous) dog is jumping on you - grab it's paws and hang on.  you can even use a sappy voice to tell it what a nice doggy it is.  I will hang on for at least a minute.  almost any dog in that position will immediately start looking for a way to get down.   I've had dog owners angry at me - but if they cared that much they should have prevented the dog from jumping on me in the first place.   dog's don't jump on me twice.  one akita thought about it - then recognized me and was on the ground asap. (where I'm happy to pet them.)

I do recall a thread last year for Halloween taking about how dangerous black animals were.  black labs will knock you over with their tail wagging, or drown you with their slobber.

eta: these are irresponsible owners - they should be training the dog, and that means have it under control so it doesn't do things it's not supposed to even if they aren't there.  I don't have a large dog right now - but I have in the past.

you're dealing with an inconsiderate owner.  they should have been out there hauling the dog off, not looking for a collar.  if they knew you were coming, the dogs shouldn't have been free outside at all.

If a (not otherwise viscous) dog is jumping on you - grab it's paws and hang on.  you can even use a sappy voice to tell it what a nice doggy it is.  I will hang on for at least a minute.  almost any dog in that position will immediately start looking for a way to get down.   I've had dog owners angry at me - but if they cared that much they should have prevented the dog from jumping on me in the first place.   dog's don't jump on me twice.  one akita thought about it - then recognized me and was on the ground asap. (where I'm happy to pet them.)

I do recall a thread last year for Halloween taking about how dangerous black animals were.  black labs will knock you over with their tail wagging, or drown you with their slobber.

Thanks for the advice. It is interesting because this dog was black, but I'm not sure of the breed. When it jumped up, it's paws were to my shoulders. I'm about 5'5-6". 

Their 10 year old dd told the mother that I was out there with the dog jumping on me. They told me all this with a laugh and a grin. Why didn't she just come out herself? Why didn't the mom tell her to come out and help while she looked for it?

I was very shaken and, honestly, had my stomach in knots for quite some time. I have reflux issues, and it's bothered me all afternoon and evening. After I got in the car, I got fairly angry because then I was able to really think about all she said.

I love dogs, but I would have been absolutely livid at that woman. What an idiot!!! :angry:

I love dogs, but I would have been absolutely livid at that woman. What an idiot!!! :angry:

You are NOT crazy!!! I'm so sorry that happened to you! :grouphug:

From another perspective, it may be that they are using the remote for training and have found it to be more effective than hauling the dog off of people.  They may have been behaving as if something was funny out of embarassment over the situation.

I agree that they should have gotten their dog off of you and should have their yard/house set up so their dog jumping on people won't be an issue.  I am wondering if him being a big puppy and them not knowing how to handle it and being in the midst of figuring it out is why they didn't handle the situation gracefully.

Funny thing - I have a dog that LOVES it when people do that to her.  She's small, though, and an odd duck. :) 

Funny thing - I have a dog that LOVES it when people do that to her.  She's small, though, and an odd duck. :)

probably because it gets people on her level.  it's very hard to do that with a small dog - but they aren't nearly as annoying when they jump (unless muddy.  the friendliest dogs are wet/muddy dogs) as a large dog. 

my mother had a Papillion - and she never wanted to be near people's feet.  if we sat down, she'd come easily, if standing, she kept her distance and nothing could get her to come.  we had theories about a previous owner.

I confess to having a preference for large dogs.

On the other hand, perhaps you are making this more than it was...you walked into the situation afraid and with preconceived notions. You thought the dog growled meanly because you told it to get down...from the sound of the owners reaction, it doesn't seem like the dog is one to turn vicious. Perhaps your reality of the situation, based on your fear, is not the reality they saw of the situation.

Don't go to this house again.

If you must return, park on the street and call from your car and have an adult from the house come to you.

This woman is a inconsiderate dog owner and she is teaching her dc to be the same. Not everyone likes dogs. That is ok. A poorly trained dog should not be left in the front yard if people will be coming over. A dog jumping on someone should get an immediate response. If you want the collar remote, send the older child out to deal with the dog while you continue to look for the remote.

On the other hand, perhaps you are making this more than it was...you walked into the situation afraid and with preconceived notions. You thought the dog growled meanly because you told it to get down...from the sound of the owners reaction, it doesn't seem like the dog is one to turn vicious. Perhaps your reality of the situation, based on your fear, is not the reality they saw of the situation.

This post is victim blaming.

The owners have responsibility to deal with the perception others will have of their dog. This is a large dog any jumping and any barking could be perceived as angry.

I have a dog. I do not let him jump on people. Even though my dog is small I can respect that there are some people who may be terrified of him and I will get him away from those people.

I agree with Betty.  If you have to go to a home in which a dog is present and you know about it (ask), call from your car and let the owner come to you if s/he doesn't secure the dog.  Tell the person you are afraid of dogs.  If a loose dog is present, don't get out of your car.  There is always the off chance that someone will decide you won't be afraid of their dog, or that if you meet their dog, you won't be afraid of it.  Those people will spring their dog on you ... so make sure you protect yourself.

I'm not afraid of dogs, but I won't get out of my car when there is a loose dog present unless the owner is with him and says it is okay, especially if it is barking.  Aidan barks and growls at strangers, and barks vigorously at everyone else.  I know he won't hurt anyone, but in reality, no one can guarantee that their dog will not bite.  Including me.

I think the owner was negligent leaving you out there with the dog; and they knew about the behavior or they wouldn't have had/been looking for the collar remote.

I agree if you know a dog is nice and doesn't have a bite history, yes grabbing the paws will give them a reality message not to jump on you. 

HOWEVER, you never know this 100% especially with a dog you don't know.  And in my experience, all dog owners think their baby is the sweetest thing on the planet and would never bite anyone until they do, and if they do many will project the blame on the victim.

Well, the thing I was picking up was my cell phone, so I couldn't call.  I left it at church, and they brought it to their house so I wouldn't have to drive all the way there. 

I am a little afraid of dogs, but I'm normally fine. My dd told me they had dogs, but that they were fine. I went in to it expecting it to be okay because I had been to the house before when they only had one of the dogs. I had no problem then. 

You're not crazy.  The person who owned the dog should be ashamed.

I'm not afraid of dogs (and that's an understatement), but I don't want them jumping on me.  Especially not large dogs.

FWIW, I think grabbing a strange dog's paws is a really bad idea and potentially a recipe for disaster.  The much safer approach is to be a tree (stand tall and still, cross your arms, look skyward) and totally ignore the dog. I've yet to meet a dog who hasn't been totally puzzled by the behavior.  They will almost always pop their butt on the ground and look at you.  If not, they usually start sniffing your feet.  But they absolutely get the idea (in a non-confrontational way) that jumping isn't a rewarding behavior.

if  the person the dog jumped on, in his excitement - or defensiveness, was knocked down and injured - would you still blame the victim? what if it was an older person, or a younger child?  dogs should be trained to NEVER jump on people.  until they are reliable to not jump on people, they should NEVER be in a position where they can without the ability to immediately correct the animal.  the owners made no attempt to immediately correct the dog (thereby allowing the dog to think it's okay to jump on people. repeatedly),  and that is what makes them irresponsible pet owners.

in my experience, all dog owners think their baby is the sweetest thing on the planet and would never bite anyone until they do, and if they do many will project the blame on the victim.

no kidding.

my sil was dogsitting a large dog that both she and the owner described as sweet.  (why?  'cause it doesn't bark?).  

the dog stole my son's shoes, and thought it the best game to be chased.  if it hadn't been so close to dark, I would have done a lot more.  the shoes were destroyed.  this was a dog that was allowed in the main area of the house during a shower.  liked to sniff people's plates, wanted to be fed, petted, underfoot, etc. during a party.  they did finally kennel the dog.

but of course, these people describe the dog as sweet. she does have a sweet temperament, BUT  I'd describe the dog as poorly trained and having bad company manners.  the dog has an owner problem.

The reality is that you probably weren't in any serious danger. The dog was probably a boisterous puppy  or young dog that the owners had not been successful in training, nor did they have the knowledge of how to handle the situation correctly. Electronic devices are useless if applied incorrectly and many people believe they are the last resort of the lazy trainer. (Although I have seen them applied correctly in some situations that were life threatening for the dog if not remedied.) But the bottom line is that a behavior needs corrected while it is happening, not when someone is able to finally unearth the remote.

Don't let this heighten your discomfort with dogs. This crazy pup probably had been allowed to believe that every visitor was there to see him and wanted to have a tugging and jumping free-for-all. I doubt he actually wanted to hurt you. He probably felt he was greeting you in high doggy style. That said, you could have still been injured if he had tripped you, knocked you down or scratched you with his toenails.

Please don't hold your experience against the dog. He didn't know any better. The owners, however, were neglectful and rude. And they definitely should have known better.

eta: these are irresponsible owners - they should be training the dog, and that means have it under control so it doesn't do things it's not supposed to even if they aren't there.  I don't have a large dog right now - but I have in the past.

I agree with this wholeheartedly.  I have a very large, very hyper-in-transitions dog, and I can't imagine letting him jump on someone like that, much less laugh at them about it.   I teach EVERYONE how to command him in those situations, and I still get unhappy with him.   

You're not crazy.  The person who owned the dog should be ashamed.

I'm not afraid of dogs (and that's an understatement), but I don't want them jumping on me.  Especially not large dogs.

FWIW, I think grabbing a strange dog's paws is a really bad idea and potentially a recipe for disaster.  The much safer approach is to be a tree (stand tall and still, cross your arms, look skyward) and totally ignore the dog. I've yet to meet a dog who hasn't been totally puzzled by the behavior.  They will almost always pop their butt on the ground and look at you.  If not, they usually start sniffing your feet.  But they absolutely get the idea (in a non-confrontational way) that jumping isn't a rewarding behavior.

This is what we do.  For the life of me I don't understand why people won't follow through because it totally works.