Menu

Plain Kindle vs Paperwhite

Stuart

I have plain Kindle, no ads, Wi-Fi.  Only kind that I ever have had, and I am quite happy with it.  When my first one was stolen, customer service was fast and friendly.  I do, however, use mine in most basic fashion:  I download only no-cost, public domain texts.  The sole exception was when Yesterday's Classics had a very low-cost special books bundle, for which I paid $49.00. 

I have a Paperwhite and I used to have a Keyboard, which wasn't lit.  I LOVE the Paperwhite and it was worth every penny. I feel like the light makes the contrast more apparent and it is easier to read. It isn't backlit, it is front lit and doesn't hurt your eyes at all, although the light is built in and appears like it is backlit.  I can read in bed after dh goes to sleep and I even adjust the light level when I'm reading in a lit room to be perfect.  If you can't afford the Paperwhite, then don't, but if you think you'll use your Kindle for reading fairly often, then get the Paperwhite.  I also got the $25 insurancy thing on it, which I never do, because my family keeps breaking my Kindles (daughter dropping it, husband stepping on it, etc.)  Also, the light runs for a long time.  I can usually get through 2 regular-length books with it lit before I have to charge it.

I had a Keyboard and replaced it with the Paperwhite when it broke. I love my Paperwhite! The light is not like a backlit screen and is very easy on the eyes. I like that I can read in bed without disturbing dh. 

I bought a refurbished one for significantly less than the price of a new one, and it comes with the same warranty. Mine is wifi only with special offers. My original Keyboard had 3G and no special offers. I discovered I didn't use 3G so it wasn't worth paying more for. I also activated special offers on my Keyboard after seeing some of the offers that ds and dh got on their SO Kindles.

The new generation of Paperwhite might not have been out long enough for them to have refurbished yet. 

I have the "plain" (currently $69) Kindle in a lighted cover (currently $45).    I've had it for two or three years now, so it pre-dates the Paperwhite.  But if I were ordering one right now, I'd probably go for the Paperwhite and get the least expensive but still decent cover I could find.  But it really just depends on how you use it.  If you don't need a built-in light, then the $69 Kindle works just fine.

I think the Paperwhite would be a good choice, to be honest.  At least it would be if you have a pair of cataracts growing!  (which is why I am interested.)

FWIW, only long after my first Kindle kept malfunctioning, did I discover Amazon's "dirty little secret" that the Kindle covers actually were causing the problem.  The trouble was discussed candidly in online groups, but was kept quiet by Amazon.  Now I have a completely different kind of cover which causes no problem, possibly because I remove the Kindle in order to use it. 

Paperwhite - and I have last year's version not the newest one.  I call it my best friend :)  I received a Kindle touch for Christmas 2011 and then they came out with the paperwhite before Christmas last year and my husband's aunt bought one for me - I felt completely guilty because I didn't really "need" it but it's wonderful.  We have a long trip to church and now that the days are shorter I can read all the way there and back without an outside light source.  Really, I love it.  If I can't sleep, I don't even have to leave the bed, I can reach over, grab it and read all I want without waking dh.  

I had a basic Kindle, bought DD1 a kindle touch, and then DD2 a kindle Paperwhite. Loved the Paperwhite so much I gave my basic kindle to a friend so I could justify a new kindle Paperwhite for myself.

Reading with the built in light is soooo much nicer then using a separate light and organizing my books is no longer a chore!

FWIW, only long after my first Kindle kept malfunctioning, did I discover Amazon's "dirty little secret" that the Kindle covers actually were causing the problem.  The trouble was discussed candidly in online groups, but was kept quiet by Amazon.  Now I have a completely different kind of cover which causes no problem, possibly because I remove the Kindle in order to use it. 

Years ago there was a poll posted on Kindleboards with many people participating, and the results showed that while there were some problems with Amazon's covers, the incidence was quite low.  Not that it was a scientific poll, of course.  I've had two Kindles in Amazon covers with no problem whatsoever.

Paperwhite. It's lit, but not backlit, which means you can read at night to a soft light that won't wake you up like a backlit screen will.

I am a book collector, but the Kindle has its place. I adore mine and have no regrets with the Paperwhite.

I agree. I've only ever had a Paperwhite, but I can't imagine trying to read without the light. I find it so incredibly useful. I think it's definitely worth the extra cost to not have to deal with an external light source. 

Years ago there was a poll posted on Kindleboards with many people participating, and the results showed that while there were some problems with Amazon's covers, the incidence was quite low.  Not that it was a scientific poll, of course.  I've had two Kindles in Amazon covers with no problem whatsoever.

I had one of the ones that caused the problem.  It was the type of case that plugged into the side of the Kindle to get energy to light the book light.  Aparently something in the connection caused it to mess with the Kindle and mine kept freezing, and it wasn't a cheap case, like $60 I think.    I contacted Amazon about it and they sent me a new Kindle and a new corrected version of the case, no problem.  This was maybe 3 years ago?  Now that I have a Paperwhite have a case that zips all the way around my Kindle so that I can put it in my diaper bag and not worry about cheerio dust getting in the crevices.

I am more of a bare bones, basic person and I have the bare bones, basic Kindle with the special offers. I think I paid $79 but likely it is cheaper now as it didn't have a keyboard or anything.

I do keep wishing for the paperwhite with the light. It would be SO nice at night when I want to read in bed or can't sleep in the middle of the night. That and a big utility wagon for the barn are my only 2 wish items.

The other day my kindle was acting goofy and said I had ZERO books on (instead of the over 200 on there). I was almost secretly wishing that it was really broke so I could justify buying the newer one.........but alas, I went to their troubleshooting area and a hard restart has everything working perfectly now......darn.

I can't justify a new one right now as dh is laid off but if I was buying one, it would certainly be the paperwhite.