Menu

Michelle Duggar pregnant?

Joanne

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So should the Hive file a complaint with Child Protective Services against the Duggars?

Or should they be allowed to raise their kids in a culturally different way?

There is a very big divide between disagreeing w/ a parenting method and believing it should be illegal.

WTheck? Why can't you have a *discussion* about the topic? The quote above shows you are not engaging with the material in the thread, but using red herring, absurd arguments.

People are essentially stating that they think the Duggars' parenting choices are dangerous, and some (not you) have accused them of abuse.  People are talking like there is no room for cultural differences in this country.  That seems to go against the usual attitude of the Hive.  And then people don't want to take responsibility for speaking in alarmist language / tones.

Yes, whether or not it would be as risky for someone else is not really relevant. Given her history and details that we do know it is obviously far more risky for her than the average woman. I don't think that means that she shouldn't have that choice but I also don't believe that means that her choice is the most responsible choice, considering the number of small children she has. I especially don't understand her actively trying to have more, as she seems to be doing. It is one thing to accept more but another to try.

I would say pregnancy is risky business. Always has been.

I would say Mrs Duggar is at risk of pre eclp. and c/s complications.

Every woman has some risks with pregnancy. Mrs Duggar's are not uncommon risks for the average woman. I do not know if they are less or greater or equal to the risks of other supposedly average women.

I also don't know if she is actively trying for more.

No matter how I phrase that my dh and I open to more, it is exceptionally rare for anyone to hear it as anything other than we are trying for more.

People are essentially stating that they think the Duggars' parenting choices are dangerous, and some (not you) have accused them of abuse.  People are talking like there is no room for cultural differences in this country.  That seems to go against the usual attitude of the Hive.  And then people don't want to take responsibility for speaking in alarmist language / tones.

I'm not reading the thread the same way you are.

Even if the content you are reading is accurate, the Duggars are "out there" by choice.

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-moms/news/michelle-duggar-trying-to-get-pregnant-with-20th-child-2013910

I also don't know if she is actively trying for more.

No matter how I phrase that my dh and I open to more, it is exceptionally rare for anyone to hear it as anything other than we are trying for more.

After suffering a devastating miscarriage in December 2011, Michelle Duggar is trying to get pregnant again with her 20th child. The 19 Kids and Counting reality TV mom says she and husband Jim Bob Duggar are hoping to be "blessed" with another pregnancy.

"I would hope, but we are not expecting right now," Michelle, 47, shares in a new interview with Celebrity Baby Scoop. "I would be so grateful if the Lord blessed us with another one. We're trying at this point and we shall see if that is a possibility. If not, we are so thankful and grateful for the ones that God has given us so far. We are also definitely enjoying our grandbabies! They are so precious!"

Read more: http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-moms/news/michelle-duggar-trying-to-get-pregnant-with-20th-child-2013910#ixzz2iymAZplL

Follow us: @usweekly on Twitter | usweekly on Facebook

People are essentially stating that they think the Duggars' parenting choices are dangerous, and some (not you) have accused them of abuse. People are talking like there is no room for cultural differences in this country. That seems to go against the usual attitude of the Hive. And then people don't want to take responsibility for speaking in alarmist language / tones.

So you are being purposefully over the top in an effort to show those using what you consider to be alarmist language the culmination of their line of thinking?

*I* think spanking is abusive, therefore I must support calling CPS if a child is legally spanked? Is that it?

I think you are jumping to conclusions and misreading this tone thing you speak of.

By the way, on the topic of wanting to get pregnant again after a miscarriage.  I have observed here on the Hive that it is pretty common for a mom to want to try again - sometimes many times - after miscarrying.  I have never been pregnant nor lost a child, so this is not something I can personally relate to.  I must admit I find it puzzling, but I respect that that is how those people feel, and they of all people are entitled to their feelings and their choices.  Personally I would think I'd be afraid to have the same thing happen again.  But it isn't my thoughts/feelings that matter.

I agree that like many parents, the Duggars probably softened up on their younger kids. Assuming that is the general concensus, why keep picking on what they *used* to have linked and what they probably did with their eldest kids?

I agree. My gripe is let's stick to actual factual evidence. Much as we might disagree with some of their life choices, their children seem to be growing into happy, healthy, kind people.

Even if they were harsher with their older kids 20 plus some odd years ago, their older children don't seem to hold a grudge, so I'm not sure why anyone else would.

After suffering a devastating miscarriage in December 2011, Michelle Duggar is trying to get pregnant again with her 20th child. The 19 Kids and Counting reality TV mom says she and husband Jim Bob Duggar are hoping to be "blessed" with another pregnancy.

"I would hope, but we are not expecting right now," Michelle, 47, shares in a new interview with Celebrity Baby Scoop. "I would be so grateful if the Lord blessed us with another one. We're trying at this point and we shall see if that is a possibility. If not, we are so thankful and grateful for the ones that God has given us so far. We are also definitely enjoying our grandbabies! They are so precious!"

Read more: http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-moms/news/michelle-duggar-trying-to-get-pregnant-with-20th-child-2013910#ixzz2iymAZplL

Follow us: @usweekly on Twitter | usweekly on Facebook

I'm just quoting you, Sink, because your article mentions the loss.

I think it's probably very likely they are trying for more. Birth after a loss is incredibly healing for most. Also, she's had 19 babies, and one terrible terrible birth...her last one. It wouldn't be unusual for her to want to end this chapter of her life in a positive way. For this reason, I do hope she can have one more healthy baby.

Eta- I didn't read very well...missed the part were she says they ARE trying.

So you are being purposefully over the top in an effort to show those using what you consider to be alarmist language the culmination of their line of thinking?

*I* think spanking is abusive, therefore I must support calling CPS if a child is legally spanked? Is that it?

I think you are jumping to conclusions and misreading this tone thing you speak of.

No, I was just asking.  I mean, usually when a whole community piles on someone they consider to be guilty of child abuse/neglect, a call to the authorities is made.  I wanted people to realize that their words were sounding that alarmist.  If that is not what people mean, perhaps they should consider whether their words accurately reflect their views.

I agree. My gripe is let's stick to actual factual evidence. Much as we might disagree with some of their life choices, their children seem to be growing into happy, healthy, kind people.

Even if they were harsher with their older kids 20 plus some odd years ago, their older children don't seem to hold a grudge, so I'm not sure why anyone else would.

There have been few families that have grown up on TV. Most of them were performing families (Jacksons, Osmonds, sonny & Cher's kids to a lesser extent). Not good track record, this.

It will be decades before we know the impact of reality TV on children.

There have been few families that have grown up on TV. Most of them were performing families (Jacksons, Osmonds, sonny & Cher's kids to a lesser extent). Not good track record, this.

It will be decades before we know the impact of reality TV on children.

if we ever know at all, due to the way they are raised they don't really have an option to express anything other than happiness.

No, I was just asking. I mean, usually when a whole community piles on someone they consider to be guilty of child abuse/neglect, a call to the authorities is made. I wanted people to realize that their words were sounding that alarmist. If that is not what people mean, perhaps they should consider whether their words accurately reflect their views.

Hence the distinction between "abuse/neglect" and "abuse/neglect in the eyes of the law." I would suggest that someone who has taken a principled stance on any issue has taken the time to choose words they consider to accurately reflect their views on it.

Not at all, sorry. I do personally think having a child when you have a high chance of them being disabled is irresponsible though. Then again it's still the woman's choice and I'm not a doctor so I should probably do more research before I say a lot on the subject.

In my stepfather's family most are born either geniuses or either mentally disabled or learning disabled. In fact, even some of the genius level are born with what would be considered a disability. Is it irresponsible for them to want and have a child or two? It's a crap shoot for certain. I wouldn't condemn then for choosing not to have children, but neither would I condemn them for choosing to have children (and yes, it's a hard topic in that family...various family members end up becoming guardians of either children of certain members or of adult siblings. I'd say this is less of an issue with the Duggars. I have my criticisms of the Duggars (mostly disagreement on certain things), but I have been compared to them irl and condemned for both having a large family and for choosing to not have more than I do currently.

I would say pregnancy is risky business. Always has been.

I would say Mrs Duggar is at risk of pre eclp. and c/s complications.

Every woman has some risks with pregnancy. Mrs Duggar's are not uncommon risks for the average woman.

I disagree on the math. Statistically, she has greater risks than the *average* woman. That is a cold stone fact.

I deleted that post for a reason. I should've apologized here rather than in a message as it was quoted, sorry. I shouldn't have shared that opinion or at least said it that way as it was rude. Honest apologies to anyone who was offended by it.

Personally I would not get pregnant at Mrs. Duggar's age.  That said, I see MANY women right here (and elsewhere) who get pregnant knowing it is risky to them and/or to the baby.  I have a friend who had 1 child and was 8.5mos pregnant with #2 when she and her husband were in a catastrophic car accident.  Her unborn child and her husband died, and she was severely injured.  She was advised that she must not get pregnant again as it could kill her.  She went on to get re-married and have two more (gorgeous, healthy) children - and to raise them, thankfully.  I could think of other examples IRL and online.  Who am I to judge?

The Duggars are so public I find it hard to believe that anything is truly horrible in their family. I could be wrong I guess I but I just don't believe it. Those people have 19 kids and they live well. The volunteer time, money and even do mission trips. I don't see them as a cult or anything else. They seem to be good parents, their kids are healthy and happy. People in the community would say things if they saw just to get the attention. I think people see how good they are doing and their jealous. I know people with 2 kids who can't make marriage work or be as financially stable as they are. They don't ever say that everyone should have 19 kids. They talk about their lives and how they make it work. I have no clue who Gottard is or what a blanket training is but mine were taught to stay on blankets simply because I had to run a vacuum or do dishes sometimes.

There was apparently a recent "Today" show appearance where she said they were trying and hoping, but I'd be surprised if she were able to get pregnant and not miscarry at 47. One of my female relatives had a surprise pregnancy at 49 but miscarried at around 9 weeks. It was sad but she and her husband hadn't even had time to process their shock over the pregnancy when it ended.

Maybe they'll go IVF!

Now that would be interesting.

Octo-Duggar!

I guess I'm not used to the idea that a whole community gets to dump on one family's legal parenting choices.  Even a TV family.  It just seems fundamentally wrong to me.  But I might be in the minority on that.

Minority!

TV Family = 3 Ring Circus

I don't have any issues with their sub-culture or parenting choices. Well, maybe the TV part. I think that can distort a normal childhood, but I'm only speculating because I don't have a TV crew in my house. But the only reason I care to speculate is because they are on the teevee!

It's not been a problem for mine so far.

However dh and I were raised only kids and we hate being alone. *shrug*

It's not about numbers.

My dh grew up in a family of 14 siblings.  He actually craves and needs alone time.  Although he enjoys getting together with friends and family, his private time is very important.  He does fine being alone.

There's one large HS family we run into at various events, and it's always boggled my noggin as to just how that can work, but of course, I haven't seen behind the scenes.  My own father was one of 7 and had a horrible time of it; I was (am) one of two, and also had a bad sibling relationship. 

Thanks for your enlightening answers.

ThatHomeschoolDad said:

"Over the past 3 years, I have worked with the most astounding nurses whom I could never repay with anything that might compensate them for their professional compassion."

Tom, this is beautiful.  Thank you. I am so sorry. I wish you and your family the best.

Aw, shucks. :blushing:   Thank you.

Really? Yet another thread just to bash on Michelle Duggar?

The video is old, it's from when she was pregnant with the baby that died. It seems this was started just as a means of being ugly toward the Duggars. As if there isn't enough of that.

And I was an only child in my home (my sisters were over 10 years older) and my parents NEVER wanted me in their bed. When I was scared, I was banished to sleep in their closet. I have 7 kids and every, single one has slept in my bed with me for long periods of time, even to the detriment of my own sleep.

The only thing that bothers me about the Duggars is that they put their life and their children's lives on TV.

That's not totally true.  There's quite a few things that bother me about the Duggars: just the name Gothard makes me uncomfortable, the patriarch set up of the home, controlling the females, etc.  But I would't know any of that if they didn't put their lives out there on television for me to inspect so closely.  They could be the family with all those kids down the street from me, and I probably wouldn't know as much about them as I do with them 2000 miles away from me.

Googling puts their pre-show net worth at $3.5 mil,

Yeah, I just roll my eyes when people say they did it for the money. Watch an episode or 2 and you'll get the feeling that JimBob, while being strange in many ways, is very savvy with money. They were doing just fine way before the show came along. He's really smart with investments, saving, etc.

That's nuts....but did you find Narnia? :thumbup:

Seriously! I loved sleeping in my closet as a kid. I was my safety hole, cave, shuttle, boat..

I used to climb onto the shelf against the ceiling, shut the door and pretend I was Dracula in a coffin too. Or on a bunk in a submarine. Or

I never ever snuggled in my parents bed. Their bedroom scared the bejesus out of me. It was decorated in red shag carpet, black enamel furniture and red velvet curtains and bedding. For a brief time my 11 years older brother had me convinced my mom did voodoo in there. And with the moaning and metal screeching noises I sometimes heard on the other side of the wall - I believed him! No way in heck was I running in THAT direction. Nope. It was either the cozy closet or the the shed with the dog and cat. I think I was in 1st grade before my parents found out that's what he'd told me so I wouldn't run in there to tattle on his late night sneaking out. *eyeroll*

My guess is that they do it for the money.  They certainly need money with that many kids.  So one would have to get creative with how to earn more.

I'm sure the money doesn't hurt, but they had done well for themselves on their own, long before their TV show came along.

People do all kinds of things for money.  Lots of moms leave their kids to others all day so they can work for money.  (Myself included!)  This mom figured out how to make money by spending all day with her kids.  Kind of clever if you ask me.

People do all kinds of things for money.  Lots of moms leave their kids to others all day so they can work for money.  (Myself included!)  This mom figured out how to make money by spending all day with her kids.  Kind of clever if you ask me.

But putting your dc on public display comes with a price. You can't open yourself up to public life for a fee and not have people commenting (complimenting or criticizing) about your choices. That is in fact what you are being paid for, because the entertainment for the public is analyzing what choices you make. So, no there is nothing wrong with criticizing this family. You can compliment them too. Commentary is expected and desired because if there was no commentary the show would not be on the air.

Seriously! I loved sleeping in my closet as a kid. I was my safety hole, cave, shuttle, boat..

I used to climb onto the shelf against the ceiling, shut the door and pretend I was Dracula in a coffin too. Or on a bunk in a submarine. Or

I never ever snuggled in my parents bed. Their bedroom scared the bejesus out of me. It was decorated in red shag carpet, black enamel furniture and red velvet curtains and bedding. For a brief time my 11 years older brother had me convinced my mom did voodoo in there. And with the moaning and metal screeching noises I sometimes heard on the other side of the wall - I believed him! No way in heck was I running in THAT direction. Nope. It was either the cozy closet or the the shed with the dog and cat. I think I was in 1st grade before my parents found out that's what he'd told me so I wouldn't run in there to tattle on his late night sneaking out. *eyeroll*

Halloween must have been....um.....fun at your house.

As far as sleeping in parents' beds, my parents' bed was in an unfinished attic room.  The idea of getting up in the night out of my nice warm bed and going up into the dark, cold, dusty attic to disturb my parents' sleep is probably not something I ever contemplated.  ;)

My kids (all 2 of them) don't sleep in my bed either.  It is allowed when someone is sick (which is rare).  For a while they used to come up during loud thunderstorms or fireworks or after a rare nightmare, but that was a short-lived thing.  We all sleep better in our own beds.  Though my kids do snuggle together many nights in their own room.

I understand disagreeing with the lifestyle of a public figure(s) and being vocal about it. I do not understand over the top, mean, nasty criticism. These are human beings, and unless they have done unthinkable, despicable actions, I don't think they deserve that, regardless of whether or not they are in the public spotlight.

I am not a huge fan of the Duggars, but I do find their lifestyle interesting. Their show mostly bores me though. I preferred the shows that explained how their large family manages the mundane things like cleaning, cooking, laundry, etc.

I guess I'm in the minority. I actually feel like the TV show has been great for this family. I normally wouldn't feel that way, but they have been exposed to so many other lifestyles, point of views, cultures, etc. I think the parents (especially Michelle) do a great job engaging with others that are so blatantly different from them. I think most people with that kind of mindset live in such fear based ways, they would never want their kids to be "exposed" or "influenced" by the world (certainly not take a vacation to NYC, lol). Yet, the Duggars seem to graciously visit other churches that clearly worship differently than they do, visit other countries, enjoy other cultures, talk with TV personalities and shows around the globe, and answer tough and personal questions with kindness, etc. -- lots of things I imagine many people in that circle would find offense in or shun. And then Josh moved across the country! He has set an example for his other siblings that you absolutely can put states between each other & that's okay.

Halloween must have been....um.....fun at your house.

Nope. Boring. That's why I stayed out all night on Halloween. Still do for that matter.

My dad's favorite color is red and my mother fell in love with a black enamel bedroom set because it was decorated with irises, her favorite flower. I'm sure it wasn't actually a scary room if my idiot brother hadn't freaked me out in preschool.

The rest.. Well I was either raised extreme free range or neglected. It's all a matter of opinion. :)

If people weren't commenting, fighting, writing posts, having opinions about the Duggars I am pretty sure their show would be cancelled. The more people comment, discuss etc the higher their ratings go. That is what they want. Well, actually, what the Duggars want has already been covered in my previous post on page one, but ratings help.

And yes, if one is going to make comments, mean spirited or otherwise about one group of people, then it is hypocritical to then call others out for doing the same. Either you participate in discussion threads such as this or you don't. If you do, then you cannot call others out for doing the same.

We are all allowed to have opinions and put them forth, if people didn't care then then no one would watch. They were put on TV because they are 'different' in that they are not the norm. The entire point was exactly this sort of thread. It's not like their corporate sponsors are hoping it just goes out into a void. Any publicity is good publicity. If they weren't making money for whatever TV channel owns their show then they wouldn't be on.

Well, I don't know who Josie is or what accident, but I am assuming the parents didn't film it. If Josie is a kid, then wouldn't the film crew film it? They are followed around all the time by cameras and then it is edited to show the most interesting/divisive/shocking etc bits. If it is dramatic then it stays. That is how they make their money. If it made money to show them pooping then the networks would show it.

Does anyone actually take the Duggars seriously? They are in the same category as "Dance Moms" and "honey booboo" and stuff like that.