Menu

Michelle Duggar pregnant?

Joanne

Well, I don't know who Josie is or what accident, but I am assuming the parents didn't film it. If Josie is a kid, then wouldn't the film crew film it? They are followed around all the time by cameras and then it is edited to show the most interesting/divisive/shocking etc bits. If it is dramatic then it stays. That is how they make their money. If it made money to show them pooping then the networks would show it.

Does anyone actually take the Duggars seriously? They are in the same category as "Dance Moms" and "honey booboo" and stuff like that.

They could have easily said no to filming it or having it aired.  

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It was one of the middle boys...Justin maybe...who was fooling around on a church stage and fell through a hole in the floor. An ambulance was called and he wound up sustaining a fracture.

Michelle Duggar videod it on her iPhone while they waited for the ambulance. That is the only reason there is footage of the incident and she was roundly criticized for it.

There are many homeschoolers who take the Duggars very, very seriously. They are widely sought after speakers and authors in many homeschool and conservative circles.

There are many homeschoolers who take the Duggars very, very seriously. They are widely sought after speakers and authors in many homeschool and conservative circles.

Well, I guess all of us like to see ourselves reflected back to us in popular culture. Outside of that I am not really sure what they have to offer that is any different than any other celebrity. They let their 'freak flag fly' and make money off it. What is so compelling about that?

Well, I guess all of us like to see ourselves reflected back to us in popular culture. Outside of that I am not really sure what they have to offer that is any different than any other celebrity. They let their 'freak flag fly' and make money off it. What is so compelling about that?

Our family likes them because they share many of our families qualities- we are a dresses/skirts only family, modesty is important. We share views on dating and premarital relations, family togetherness, media exposure, entertainment, etc.

I try to be tv free, but honesty I very much fail at it. So it's nice to sit down as a family and watch what we believe to be a wholesome show.

It was one of the middle boys...Justin maybe...who was fooling around on a church stage and fell through a hole in the floor. An ambulance was called and he wound up sustaining a fracture.

Michelle Duggar videod it on her iPhone while they waited for the ambulance. That is the only reason there is footage of the incident and she was roundly criticized for it.

Why? Who cares? That's no big deal to me at all. *shrug*

Yes.

Well.

Ahem.

Here are many home schoolers who are mighty sick of half the "home school" conventions and speakers and associations not having much of anything to do with actual education.

Our family likes them because they share many of our families qualities- we are a dresses/skirts only family, modesty is important. We share views on dating and premarital relations, family togetherness, media exposure, entertainment, etc.

I try to be tv free, but honesty I very much fail at it. So it's nice to sit down as a family and watch what we believe to be a wholesome show.

Exactly, you like to see yourself reflected back to you in popular culture. We all do, to some extent. It makes us feel good about our own choices when we see someone on TV making similar choices to ours.

If my child falls several feet and breaks a bone, my first response is not to whip out my iPhone and record him writhing in pain. My first response is to comfort that child. Not all the Duggar criticism is warranted, I believe that one is.

I was responding to someone's comment that no one takes the Duggars seriously, relegating them to honey boo boo status. I believe that is a mistake.

For the record, I watch the show regularly, have read their books, and share many of their beliefs, including the ones on birth control. But I am well aware of their Gothard affiliation and many things they have done and said leave me concerned.

Exactly, you like to see yourself reflected back to you in popular culture. We all do, to some extent. It makes us feel good about our own choices when we see someone on TV making similar choices to ours.

Maybe. I think it's just the uniqueness of it that she likes. Truth is there are plenty of references in popular culture to Christians, home schoolers, patriarch families, large families...

But very few are positive happy references.

Most of what I watch sure doesn't reflect who I am or my life style.

Disclosure: But wouldn't it be cool if I got magical powers while being kidnapped by the mothership sent by God and used those powers to track blacklisted evil doers during the alien and zombie apocalypse while trying to restore power to the world?

If my child falls several feet and breaks a bone, my first response is not to whip out my iPhone and record him writhing in pain. My first response is to comfort that child. Not all the Duggar criticism is warranted, I believe that one is.

I'd have to see the video to decide that. I can tell you as a mom of many, we tend to develop nerves of steel. Does the child act like they are longing for mom? Are they a child that will react WORSE to emotional comfort? (Some do. I have some. I'm one of them.)

I was responding to someone's comment that no one takes the Duggars seriously, relegating them to honey boo boo status. I believe that is a mistake.

For the record, I watch the show regularly, have read their books, and share many of their beliefs, including the ones on birth control. But I am well aware of their Gothard affiliation and many things they have done and said leave me concerned.

The only thing that annoyed me is:

A. First thing everyone say to me is, "Do you know the Duggars? Are you trying to beat them?"

No. Large families aren't all related or something, tyvm. And baby birthing is not a competition and even if it was, the deck is stacked significantly against the average woman bearing her regardless if desire to do so.

B. Next is, "You should be on TV. It's so nice to such well behaved nice kids with normal parents."

No. Heeeelll no. I have zero desire to live a picture perfect life and even less desire to document my less than perfect parental moments or my kids stupid kid moments.

C. "You don't act/look like I thought you would."

Thank you.

Few say it, but the unsaid words are:

You don't act/look like a mrs duggar.

I don't mind the Duggars.

I do mildly get annoyed that there are so many people who seriously think every Christian, large family, and or home school family is like the Duggars on tv.

Well, if it makes you feel any better I get asked the same questions about the Duggars and I only have two children. But, that is more because they are the only homeschoolers lots of people have heard of. And believe me, I am FAR from anything like them. I have then spend time explaining that lots of homeschoolers are not fundamentalist and plenty of us are progressive etc etc. But, it has brought about lots of interesting conversations about homeschooling, lol. I have never seen the show but know about them because people tell me about them due to the homeschooling.

And I don't see any difference between them and the honey booboo family show. I looked it up and they are even on the same channel, being paid by the same corporation. So, you could say they are coworkers. They are drinking from the same well.

Both are reality shows about families. Both are families making money off their particular lifestyle and putting their kids on camera. They might have different lifestyles, but they are selling themselves in the same way, and people watch/don't watch/like them/don't like them/have opinions/profess to not have opinions for the same reasons. They seem interchangeable to me

One if my favorite comments is "You don't look like you have 5 kids". I assume it's the skinny jeans that trip people up. I usually respond with, "We don't all look like Mrs. Duggar".

I used to think it was the weight. But I then got pretty dang fat with my last two and still got that comment. I don't think it's the weight, I think it's just not wearing a denim skirt and a Texas hair bun. ;p

She's not skinnier than I am, she looks more animated and energetic and focused and confident and happy.  She looks younger than I look, dammit.  ;)  Of course she might just be a really good actress with great make-up artists.  But there might be something to the saying that kids keep you young.  My parents have 6 and they both feel that way about having a bunch of kids.

I guess I'm not used to the idea that a whole community gets to dump on one family's legal parenting choices.  Even a TV family.  It just seems fundamentally wrong to me.  But I might be in the minority on that.

Yet you think it is perfectly okay to dump on a 15 year old girls choice of casual clothing...