Menu

Choir parents -- bring on the brag

ThatHomeschoolDad

OK, I know you're out there, because I saw your posts on the Happy Thread, and Dance Parents have a topic, so here we go...

Who is your cherub singing with?  Interesting repertoire?  Any recent gigs to share?

After five years in the apprentice and intermediate programs, DD just auditioned into the Advanced Choir of the New Jersey Youth Chours.  The first concert of this season was Friday at a gala for the Greg Wolf Fund.   As you can see below, we didn't have our risers, but instead had a short stage in a ballroom, so it was kinda squished front to back.  DW turns pages for our accompanist, and had to prop up one side of the piano with her foot.  Ah...showbiz.

It was also the first run for the new dresses, and they must have been a hit, since all the girls were marveling at how they could now move their arms.  There's one alto, front row right with the old style (back-order problem).  It would seem the princess sleeves on the old version were a tad stiff, but since I don't look good in such sleeves, I have somewhat less experience in the matter.  

Looking forward to another concert this month, then the big winter concert, then a superbowl gig and recording a world premier with Randall Stroope in January.  Lot's of stuff in the spring, but that's about as far ahead as I remember.

njyctrenton.jpg

NJYC at the Greg Wolf Gala, Trenton Country Club, 10/18/13.

I loved the tumbleweed too -- haha!  :)  My kids were all in choir, but the last one just graduated high school last year, so no more choir events (at least for that age level) -- boo!  For 4/5 of my kids, being involved with a choir was probably the single best high school experience they had.  They sure loved it.

All my kids participate in a local homeschool choir program and through that my 2 oldest were able to audition for mid-state choirs and were accepted, my oldest auditioned for all-state and made it into that as well - having only looked at the audition music a couple days in advance of the audition (and had to learn ecclesiastical Latin pronunciation to boot). 

They both sing in Advent Choir at church, although oldest hasn't made it to rehearsals yet.  He usually switches back and forth between playing in the orchestra and singing in the choir, depending on where he's needed most.

Homeschool choir program has their concert in December.  I have no idea what they are singing.

My boys sing in a local audition-only choir. We've been with the choir for 9 years.

I'm the choir volunteer parent for my elementary boys, but they've just started a new set in preparation for the Holiday Concert and I have no idea what the songs are! My middle school son's boy choir just gave an incredible performance for being only 6 weeks in with lots of new choristers, and are sending the recording to Disneyland for their spring choir trip/recording workshop.

Cat

All my kids participate in a local homeschool choir program and through that my 2 oldest were able to audition for mid-state choirs and were accepted, my oldest auditioned for all-state and made it into that as well - having only looked at the audition music a couple days in advance of the audition (and had to learn ecclesiastical Latin pronunciation to boot). 

Congratulations on both.  We have all-state, but what is mid-state?  I'm guessing it's similar to our regions, of which there are 3 in NJ (I think, maybe 2), and you have to make regions before all-state?

Bonus points the Latin.

Dd8 is in a fledgling "choir" with only 4 members, which is the best we can do in our small town. She was accepted into a more prestigious program in the city, but I could not justify the commute of 35 miles into town and 35 miles back at rush hour. :(

At least she's getting some experience and voice development, and the little group sounds good.

Congratulations on both.  We have all-state, but what is mid-state?  I'm guessing it's similar to our regions, of which there are 3 in NJ (I think, maybe 2), and you have to make regions before all-state?

Bonus points the Latin.

Yes - TN is divided into 3 sections - East, Mid, and West.  The pronunciation was tricky - he reads music well, but the Latin made him fairly nervous!  Not something you should put off 'til the last minute :glare: .

It's been a few years, but when we lived in Australia, by virtue of living in the Capital, the choir the kids sang in some high profile gigs. They sang at the televised Carols in the Domain in Sydney with the Wiggles, they sang for Queen Elizabeth, but by far the biggest highlight was singing for and actually shaking hands with Nelson Mandela.

Even without all the exciting performances, choir was a wonderful experience for my kids. Teamwork, camaraderie, and pure joy of producing music were great rewards for the time spent. 

It's been a few years, but when we lived in Australia, by virtue of living in the Capital, the choir the kids sang in some high profile gigs. They sang at the televised Carols in the Domain in Sydney with the Wiggles, they sang for Queen Elizabeth, but by far the biggest highlight was singing for and actually shaking hands with Nelson Mandela.

Even without all the exciting performances, choir was a wonderful experience for my kids. Teamwork, camaraderie, and pure joy of producing music were great rewards for the time spent. 

I just told DD about your Wiggles gig and she said, quote:  Whaaaaat?  OMG that is soooo awesome.

There is a soul-feeding-something-good that happens when singers and listeners are breathing the same air, and I'm always blown away when the kids I know transform into an ensemble (and seem to mature several years) when they step onto the risers.

Sylvia is in Children's Choir at our local arts center.  This is her first year singing two parts.  She's been singing since first grade.  They do two performances a year, but solos haven't been given out yet.  My older DD did choir starting in K, but she hasn't been able to do the past 2 fall sessions due to her gymnastics schedule.  She was able to do spring last year and I'm hoping she can do it this upcoming year as well.

We're in a small town, so that's pretty much it for opportunities!

My Hannah sings with the Santa Rosa Children's chorus. They went to Disneyland in March to sing. She is a soprano. They have 3 levels. Training, Intermediate and Concert. The children move up as they improve and/or mature. Hannah is in the Concert group.

They sing in French, Latin, Hebrew, German etc.

They also sang at the opening of the Sonoma State University's 40 million dollar music center.

She has been in the Chorus for almost two years. She loves that they are learning to sight sing and music theory. They hope to travel to europe in the next few years.

They do two parent performances a year but do many perfomances for local wineries, professional asociations, and businesses in the Fall and Christmas season to generate income in order to keep tuition down.

We also have just upgraded our uniforms. The old ones were laura ashley prints from the 80's. The new ones are purple and beautiful.

Well, I shared in the Happy Thread that my son's choir did their fall showcase last weekend, which featured my kid singing a solo in "With Cat Like Tread" and also debuting the choreography he did for the boychoir.

Today, they kicked off their first fund-raiser for their trip this summer. They are going to NYC to participate in the inaugural event for a new invitational choir festival, which will have them singing at Carnegie Hall. Based on how well the number my son worked on went last weekend, the choir director has told him to start thinking about choreography for Carnegie. And that is making him extremely happy.

They've also been told that the choir directors will be giving the solos that were sung by the adult choristers during the showcase performance to the older kids for concerts they have coming up in the next couple of months. My son is jonesing for one of the solos from "One More Day" (Les Miserables). So, we're crossing our fingers for him.

I'm just thrilled that last year an actual opportunity for participation in a children's choir presented itself. I was lamenting that there was no chance for her to do a choir in our town, and the next week there was an article in the paper about this choir starting up. Heaven sent! Oldest DD participated last year and loved it. Next youngest DD just joined this year with her. The director is wonderful. He directs the town's audition-only adult choir and originally started the choir with interested kids of parents in his adult choir, then opened it up to the community.

Erica in OR

Well, I shared in the Happy Thread that my son's choir did their fall showcase last weekend, which featured my kid singing a solo in "With Cat Like Tread" and also debuting the choreography he did for the boychoir.

Today, they kicked off their first fund-raiser for their trip this summer. They are going to NYC to participate in the inaugural event for a new invitational choir festival, which will have them singing at Carnegie Hall. Based on how well the number my son worked on went last weekend, the choir director has told him to start thinking about choreography for Carnegie. And that is making him extremely happy.

They've also been told that the choir directors will be giving the solos that were sung by the adult choristers during the showcase performance to the older kids for concerts they have coming up in the next couple of months. My son is jonesing for one of the solos from "One More Day" (Les Miserables). So, we're crossing our fingers for him.

OK, "Cat Like Treads" from Pirates has special significance for us.  DD was maybe 2ish and I put that on (cassette) in our old Subaru.  DD would slap both knees on cue -- With cat like treads (smack) upon the way we steal (smack) -- through the whole song.  That's kinda when we suspected DW having conducted her winter concert at 8mos might have had an effect!

Congrats on the Carnegie gig, which will be awesome.  DD sang there last year and it's truly an epic venue.  Be sure to bring $$ for the gift shop!

My 4 kids are singing pirates in the youth version of Pirates of Penzance produced by our city's professional opera. They are having a blast singing and doing their Arggs!, and the professional singers are so encouraging with the children. It's their first big singing gig, but hopefully not their last.

I'm a choir parent - I'm a parent who sings in a non-auditioned community choir.  'Calvin' sings in it too - it's mostly adults, but there are a few teenagers and a lot of students.  This concert is very traditional (Messiah) but next term we are singing a new piece by Paul Mealor.

Both boys sing in the school show choir and 'Calvin' also sings in the school classical choir.

L

• 2 months later...

OMG.  

DD's choir was just tapped to do the pre-game show Sunday with Queen Latifah.  Recording engineers are in there now running rehearsal a bit late.

They're still singing on the Super Bowl Boulevard thingie Friday night.  This after they just recorded a world premier with Randall Stroop last weekend.

Gotta love last-minute gigs!

Um.

Wow.