Menu

I miss my old flip phone! I phone users please read.

KatieJ

So I really don't miss my old flip phone except when I want to make a call.  You have to unlock the phone, find the phone icon, find the contact list..makes me crzy.

I have found the favorites icon and that is somewhat faster, but you still have to unlock it, etc.

I use to be able to open my phone, hit 3 and it was dialing a number.

Sigh. 

Any hints for me?

I HATE this about my iphone. The hardest thing to do on the stupid thing is make phone calls. Everything else seems so intuitive. But I hit the little telephone icon & it always takes me to a different screen. Missed calls, contacts, keypad. I never know what to expect.

I phone 4, no Siri.

When I don't lock it, I place random calls as I am putting my phone back into my purse..twice yesterday.  So I went back to locking it, but sheesh, it's a pain.

I sometimes do this. Fortunately, my thumb usually hits the button that calls my husband directly. I have to remember to turn my phone off (not off entirely, just turn the screen off with that button on the side) before putting it in my purse.

I don't have my phone locked.  That would be so inconvenient.  I have an app that I can use to shut down and lock my phone if it ever gets stolen.  If I lose my phone, I can use my computer to activate a signal to help me find my phone.  It works even if the phone's volume is turned off, and it gets louder and louder if you don't find the phone to turn it off.

If you have people you call regularly, you might add a shortcut to direct dial right from your home screen.  No more flipping through my contacts list to call or text my kids/dh.

I HATE this about my iphone. The hardest thing to do on the stupid thing is make phone calls. Everything else seems so intuitive. But I hit the little telephone icon & it always takes me to a different screen. Missed calls, contacts, keypad. I never know what to expect.

unless you clear out previously used apps (double click home and X them out - or if you have ios7 slide them away) when you hit your phone button, it is going to take you to the last place you were at. for example, if you were last at your favorites in the phone app, it will go there automatically when you re-open it unless it has been cleared out through your home button.

another option is the vlingo app. we had a friend over last night that has an iphone 4 & he said it works great.  you hit your home button (like siri) & can say, "call mom" and it will.  it wasn't as fun as siri, but from what he showed us - it works pretty well.

I don't have my phone locked.  That would be so inconvenient.  I have an app that I can use to shut down and lock my phone if it ever gets stolen.  If I lose my phone, I can use my computer to activate a signal to help me find my phone.  It works even if the phone's volume is turned off, and it gets louder and louder if you don't find the phone to turn it off.

What is the name of this app? This would make more sense for me than locking my phone. Thanks.

I miss the ease of texting. On my old phones, I didn't even have to look at the keys, I could do it by feel. With iPhone I actually have to look because I can't just feel where the letters are.

I also do this dumb thing every time I try to call someone not in my favorites. I go to contacts, select the contact and then put the phone to my ear. After a bit, I'm wondering why the blasted phone isn't calling so I look at it and ten remember that I've actually got to touch the phone number. Then I feel dumb.

I know just what you mean. I have a Droid Razr Maxx but it has the same issues. Used to be I would flip the phone open and push 2 and it was dialing home, or 3 for a friend, etc.

Now it is side button for screen, then slide to unlock, then press contact picture for friend, then press than I want to call her, then press send to dial, then talk. They don't even offer speed dial to program a speed dial number for your most used contacts.

I appreciate this thread. I just got my first android type phone.  Making calls is an annoyance, so thanks for the idea of using voice commands.

Since I just switched over I am shocked at the lack of battery life in an android!  OMG!  I used to go nearly a week between charging.  Now I can't even make it a day....and that's with WiFi and email turned off.  I bought a used one, so I'm going to look into getting another battery in case this one is worn out.  However, everything I'm reading talks about how most people's batteries barely last a day.

I appreciate this thread. I just got my first android type phone.  Making calls is an annoyance, so thanks for the idea of using voice commands.

Since I just switched over I am shocked at the lack of battery life in an android!  OMG!  I used to go nearly a week between charging.  Now I can't even make it a day....and that's with WiFi and email turned off.  I bought a used one, so I'm going to look into getting another battery in case this one is worn out.  However, everything I'm reading talks about how most people's batteries barely last a day.

Welcome to the world of smartphones. :) 

There are a few that have amazing battery life out-of-the-box, but there are some other options for the rest of us if needed: carry an extra battery, extended batteries, cases with battery packs, car chargers, external batteries that can be kept in a bag or purse for charging the phone on the go. 

Thank you nmoira - I'm waiting for the car charger to arrive and have ordered another battery.    I may look into these other ideas if I find those two aren't enough.

If you don't have one already, universal smartphone car mounts (most of them sit in a cup holder or stick to the dashboard) can be had for $20 or less. I think ours was $10.

If you don't have one already, universal smartphone car mounts (most of them sit in a cup holder or stick to the dashboard) can be had for $20 or less. I think ours was $10.

I use the Waze GPS app when I drive.  I like that it has real time updates for hidden police, accidents/heavy traffic, shoulder/lane hazards, etc. I stick it in my universal holder and charge it when I drive.  If my phone rings, I pick it up (don't have to do hands free here) and talk with the charging phone.

Battery Doctor helps save battery and charge it properly.

Also, this, best $40 I've spent recently.  Gets 3 days of juice for my phone.  http://www.zerolemon.com/