Menu

We start school today...anyone else?

Mosaicmind

DC are sitting down eating breakfast at 9:30 (it will take a few weeks before we can get started earlier) and I am trying to pry myself away from the computer.

We will just be doing English and math this week because I need to start slowly. DS/14 is still in bed after being awakened twice now. I don't know what to do except impose that there will be no tv today because he is banned from the computer until further notice.

Hopefully the day will go well.

Yep, we are! My son is still a bed sleeping though and it's 7:21 am. I plan to drag him from bed soon and perhaps get started by 9:00 am. We will be starting everything except English.

After sitting down with him yesterday and planning his TOG schedule for the week, he is actually excited about getting started. Who would have thought? :001_huh: :lol:

Yes we are. It is still early here, so the oldest is still in bed. Thanks to the puppy, I have been up since 5:45. Why is it that 6 am seems fine, but anything that starts with a 5, :ack2: We are starting light today, and will be adding subjects in over the next couple of weeks.

Krista

Yes we have started! My boys are WAY more excited than I am at the moment. We went through their books and filling out stuff for notebooks and I hadn't planned on doing any "actual" work today but ds wanted to do his Growing Grammar (which I wasn't going to phase in until next week). I also can't find my SOTW book!! I had everything together but it's wandered off somewhere so I guess we won't start anything history related this week, ugh. Where could that book be?!:confused:

It's 12:21 and we are done. Two and 1/2 hours for just two subjects is a bit discouraging, especially when I am part of the Loop Schedulers group.

DS/14 just got out of bed and is rolling his eyes at me already. Maybe putting him in school would be the best for him.

Not yet ---

When you only get 3 months of sunshine a year, you don't dare waste it!

School will start in September here...:)

Ditto, Beth--and I would use "three months of sunshine" pretty loosely this year!:glare:

I have been working my tail off on lesson plans and schedules for the last 2 weeks - I am not organized by nature -and we are not getting the amount of work done per year because of it. I am determined this year will be different.:tongue_smilie:

but we wont officially start until the 25th. We rented a cabin in North Alabama and will be gone all next week on vacation then come home Saturday to start school on Monday.

I hope you-all who are starting today have a great day!:001_smile:

We're on our 2nd break right now. We have two subjects left and it's going well. A few moments of whining during math, but that's fairly normal.

We are starting Latin this year and he was bouncing on the couch while doing his chant. He even asked if it was okay to doodle in his Latin book, sure why not, just not over the words. I love wiggly boys.

We actually started a week ago, but we are still taking it slow. My two are only 4 and5 soon to be 5 and 6, but we only do an hour-hour/half each day. Then it's play, play, play time. But it was still hard to get back in the groove of doing school everyday. Summer's make me lazy!!!

Have a great year

McKinsey:)

We put in a full morning schedule and things went pretty smoothly. :001_smile: We went swimming for a little while after lunch and now it's rest time. I think our new schedule will work pretty well. The only issues were the usual ones where the 7 and 6 year old are fascinated by the 4 year olds preschool work and have trouble staying on task. :glare: As if finding matching pictures is *that* interesting. ;)

I had originally planned on starting on the 18th, but got my curriculum early, so I tricked DS(6) into starting today. He thought mommy was just "practicing" for when we really start school next week. I don't know if it'll work tomorrow, but it worked like magic today. Aren't we moms so sneaky??;)

I suppose we actually have to do some school work to count as starting today? It's 1:30 and we haven't actually hit the books yet. But we did do a service project this morning, delivering some food drive food. I'm planning a very slow ramp up. Oldest dd doesn't begin school until Sept. 3 and we can't really do a regular schedule until the Monday after that--the 8th I believe. But the plan is to start a few things now--continue history, add math drill, maybe try out some of the new stuff.

Update: We did it! We started our new year at about 2:00 today. Did math drill, spelling, history, Writing Tales-dd8, Phonics-dd5, and started Spanish. Woo Hoo! We're off and running!

We took some time and went to the park this afternoon. I think I needed it as much as they did. It has been in the middle 70's to low 80's for the last week so why not take advantage of that. It can't last long.

This gave me a chance to get a handle on what I want to say to DS/14 and how to say it, which seems to be so important to him. I don't want to send him to ps, but it sure is tempting on days like today. :glare:

Today was our first day. This is my first year not teaching math to my older dc. We're using Chalkdust. It was interesting to see 2 computers going with Dana Mosely teaching Prealgebra to ds4 and Calculus to ds1. Then later in the day, ds3 is watching Alg 1 while dd2 is watching precalculus. I feel replaceable today, but it has been nice having an expert to teach math. My focus is my littlest guy who really needs one-on-one.

Bible time. Check.

Complete "First Day of School, All About Me" sheet. Almost checked.

Then a dear friend whom I haven't talked to in months (my fault, not hers) called. And we talked. And Legos were brought out. Got off the phone and tried to resume, but DS8 mentioned that maybe he would like to try the new swim team class at 11:30 (yesterday he had decided he was too intimidated by the bigger kids who would be there.)

So we got ready and went. He had a wonderful time but was exhausted after so many laps. So home for food, rehydration, and rest, because "that's what Michael Phelps had to do after his 200 m heat before he did the relay!"

We'll try again tomorrow, and just be glad we homeschool, where every day is a learning day!

Bible time. Check.

Complete "First Day of School, All About Me" sheet. Almost checked.

Then a dear friend whom I haven't talked to in months (my fault, not hers) called. And we talked. And Legos were brought out. Got off the phone and tried to resume, but DS8 mentioned that maybe he would like to try the new swim team class at 11:30 (yesterday he had decided he was too intimidated by the bigger kids who would be there.)

So we got ready and went. He had a wonderful time but was exhausted after so many laps. So home for food, rehydration, and rest, because "that's what Michael Phelps had to do after his 200 m heat before he did the relay!"

We'll try again tomorrow, and just be glad we homeschool, where every day is a learning day!

I say call it a PE, Math (with legos), and Bible day. That would be school, right? ;)

So we didn't really start until 2. That chiro appointment and lunch really screwed up the day.

My eldest did begin her lit reading and answering the SAP questions on the lit while at the chiro.

Most everything got done except for one child still needs to do science. She also did not get math done. I did not get to checking math problems. Otherwise, it went ok. The 4 yo watched way too much tv. I need to buy her some more puzzles.

The house is a complete wreck.

I realized that this summer, I've missed the routine of schooling. I don't know that the girls have missed it. But, I have. I like routine. There, I said it. LOL And, I've spent my whole life eschewing routine and predictability.:tongue_smilie:

And this new routine is going to take me a lot of getting used to, even more so than the boys:tongue_smilie:!! DS5 had a blast. He was SOOO excited, which made it all the more fun for me. I know the novelty of "school" is going to wear off at some point, so I intend to enjoy it while it lasts :).

And this new routine is going to take me a lot of getting used to, even more so than the boys:tongue_smilie:!! DS5 had a blast. He was SOOO excited, which made it all the more fun for me. I know the novelty of "school" is going to wear off at some point, so I intend to enjoy it while it lasts :).

I would say take every advantage of this "school time" with your ds. If you make school fun for him and seem as excited as he is maybe he won't get in the whinny habit that so many kids do after the novelty has worn off.

I realized that this summer, I've missed the routine of schooling. I don't know that the girls have missed it. But, I have. I like routine. There, I said it. LOL And, I've spent my whole life eschewing routine and predictability.:tongue_smilie:

I miss that too. I've been getting myself back on a loose schedule, getting school plans made and all that, but I'm looking forward to being home more--we seem to be so much busier in the summer.:001_rolleyes:

Then a dear friend whom I haven't talked to in months (my fault, not hers) called. And we talked. !

This reminds me to make sure hte answering maching is up and running because EVERY call truns into an hour long intruption that seems to throw us off for the day!

:sad:

This does tend to be my fault and my big mouth- so I do better just not to answer during school hours. It is also very prudent (and hard) for me to avoid the Internet while we are schooling.

We started today, too. 11yo dd was done with everything by 12:30 (math, literature, history, composition, vocabulary) and said it was "the greatest day!" She was thrilled with herself for working hard and "getting something done today" after much of the summer off. She even philosophized a bit on the value of working to accomplish something vs. sitting around all day--YEA!!!

13yo dd, OTOH, has been sick all week with a chest cough and had a LOT of difficulty thinking clearly. She struggled through her algebra, getting hung up on how to compute 22/7 x 28 x 28. I sent her to take a nap, which she did for a large part of the day. She was worried about getting behind, but I told her that we would just call today a "sick day" and move on when she felt better.

5yo dd has been telling me she wants to go to kindergarten like her neighborhood friends, so we called today her first day of kindergarten and tried to make a grand time of it: painting easel out and well used; story time snuggling with Mom, some science reading, and handwriting practice; addition with stuffed animal trains; then outside to paint rocks.

I have been working my tail off on lesson plans and schedules for the last 2 weeks - I am not organized by nature -and we are not getting the amount of work done per year because of it. I am determined this year will be different.:tongue_smilie:

That is totally me, too. This year I spent a ridiculous amount of time on the schedule and lesson plans. After Day 1, all seems well.

Started at 8 - dd (7) did grammar, handwriting, math (spelling book hasn't come yet) and practiced piano, while I went through our first lesson in 100 Easy Lessons with the boys and got some house stuff done. They all got together for French, then everyone had a snack and they were out playing by 10. Lunch, naps, and we tackled history narration, but then my dad called and I got sidetracked. The 3 of them did geography together, with dd doing the reading. Latin got dumped today. I'll catch up on that tomorrow.

All in all, not a bad day. And they all seemed to feel productive and busy, so the normal fighting amongst themselves was kept to a minimum. Actually, everyone was exceptionally pleasant today... I don't think I had to scream at anyone. :001_huh:

Whew. Is it bedtime yet?