Menu

Proverty level

MomtoCandJ

Here is what it says for us.  However, I am not sure where we could find housing with property taxes and utilities for anywhere near $1,069

Monthly costs for a family with 2 parents and 3 childrenNorth Carolina

Housing $1,069  

Food $921  

Child Care $1,460  

Transportation $607  

Health Care $1,488  

Other Necessities $509  

Taxes $568 Monthly

Total $6,622

Annual Total $79,468

The budget does not address savings!

My DH and I take 20% off the top for general savings and retirement. That would never work with that proposed budget.

Eta: I know 20% may be excessive when discussing poverty, but the budget summary says its judging economic security (or something like that), so I think some savings should be considered, at least for emergencies.

It also makes the assumption I would pay 870 for health insurance when my housing is only 633. But hey, I'll just grab that savings from child care. My I'm-in-a-rotten-mood viewpoint of those simply budget calculators is they want to get people used to the idea that health care should cost more than your housing expenses.Oh, it was on an Internet calculator, it must be true. 

They don't have my county as an option and none of the other ones quite match (some would be too high, some too low) but I picked what I thought was closest.  The housing came out right, if it includes homeowners insurance, as well as property taxes.  The childcare number seems to assume at least two of my three children are infants.  Not needing childcare, and paying less for healthcare with insurance through work, actually brings the needed income pretty close to what I actually make.

ETA:  Here's what it comes out for me.  Why yes, I am in a high COL area, what makes you ask?  :glare:

Housing $1,843 Food $921 Child Care $1,739 Transportation $607 Health Care $1,620 Other Necessities $708 Taxes $780 Monthly Total $8,217 Annual Total $98,602

Now that I've looked at the numbers with a calm mind, I have to admit they might not be that far off.  The total, however, is quite a bit higher than the average pay in this area, but then again, most families I know have two working adults.  I still think they're a little high for a modest, secure lifestyle, but then my idea of modest and secure has always been different from most people I know.

The only thing that saves us is we're debt free, no mortgage, and I have the cheapest, crappiest insurance available and never go to the doctor - so thankful I have healthy children.  

I also noticed they didn't account for savings/401Ks.  I think that would be part of a secure lifestyle.

No wonder we've been feeling quite a pinch lately.

$68k. And frankly, the housing cost is off. We live on a lot less, even factoring in SNAP and Medicaid.

With health benefits the job I hope to get after graduation will put us close to that line. Compared to where we're at now, it'll be downright comfortable.

I found the EPI calculator to be pretty accurate for my area.  I'd categorize us in the "secure but modest living" group at this point, and it spit out almost the exact amount we pay for housing and food, within five dollars for each, and if I deduct the childcare, which we don't need, it's pretty close to what dh makes.  But it says we should be paying nearly $1,400 a month for health care, which is just insane, and I know we pay more in taxes than it's listing.

It reminds me of the budget shows we had here a few weeks ago. The people were hopelessly in debt but by making a few relatively minor adjustments they could save more a week than i earnt working full time (and i was in a reasonable job). I just hate it when people tell me i can't live on what i have - so depressing and unhelpful.

Mine was very accurate. We spend a bit more on food and a bit less on housing, so that evened out (in fact, we spend the same amount on both housing and food).

The total income seemed high, but if I subtract the childcare we don't need, it was about right (75k).

Sure, people can and do "survive" on less, but this is the amount needed to be stable and secure, not simply avoiding homelessness and malnourishment.

Considering a stable and secure lifestyle includes adequate food and housing, medical care, transportation, clothing, etc. on a consistent basis, plus a bit of savings for emergencies, I think the estimate is spot-on.

People making less aren't necessarily in "poverty", but could certainly benefit from some assistance. Those are the "working poor" being failed by the current system.

Housing - 1123 

Food - 921

Child care - 1881

transportation - 603

Health care - 1493

Other - 523

Taxes - 682

If I take out child care (although having a parent stay home isn't free) and health care through my employer is 500, it's not too far off.  That's almost 3K difference because of those 2 things.

It lists us as spending $800 more on healthcare than our insurance costs.  Even assuming $100 a month for various co-pays or prescriptions, which is more than we average, that is an extra $8,400 a year.  Childcare is $15,600.  I'll be generous and say that we spend $600 a year on the two or three occasions we might need a babysitter.  That is still $23,000 more than we spend. That's more than a lot of people live on, just in the difference between actual and estimates!

Their transportation costs were higher than our actual, despite my husband driving an hour each way for his commute.  We don't have a car payment at the moment, so that could be accurate.  Food costs were only slightly higher than what we are currently spending, but our costs would drop considerably if we cut back on the wine, tea, and cheese purchases. (And we have recently for just that reason!)

Adjusting for that, we would need around $50,000.  We make enough to cover that, although we could easily have found a cheaper place than what we own with the surrounding land.  This same place on a tiny lot around here would only be a couple hundred dollars a month. That would lower our bills significantly.

We make about 5K more than it says we should make- we drive carp cars, have carp insurance and don't pay child-care- plus our 2 oldest no longer live with us. Yeah, crazy when we are making so much that we pinch every penny till is screams for mercy and we have no savings or retirement and work our tails off to make ends meet.