Menu

Kegels: Do they just slow progression or can they heal/reverse damage?

Lora_M

The thing about kegals (as a physical therapist) is that if you aren't doing them correctly they not only don't help, but they can actually increase any damage. But damage can definitely be reversed. Squatting is absolutely the best thing you can do. Improving your posture (no tummy and butt sucked in while standing! No slouching and sitting on your tailbone!) can also, alone, improve a lot of damage. I always highly reccomend the book Saving the Whole Woman (no need to purchase the entire program) to anyone with "leakage" issues. Leaking is not "normal" ladies, its the sign of an impending bladder prolapse. Take care of yourselves now so you won't suffer when you are 60 :)

What damage are we talking about? Are you just looking to tighten or do you have a prolapse or lack of strength? That will change my suggestions.

It can help, for sure. IF done properly. I would be hesitant to say just to squat or fix your posture, because most people I've talked to about it just have no idea what is correct form. Go to Katy Says blog and read up. I do disagree on how harsh she comes down on kegels, though. In an interview off the site she says they can be great if done properly, and there are enough medical studies out there to prove that. But you need to do them right and use biofeedback at the beginning if it is just not going anywhere.

I will caution you about the Whole Woman site, too. It is very, very negative. I stopped reading her stuff because she talks nonstop about how pretty much anything you ever do in any form will make your organs fall out. So not true. Serious hyperbole and fear mongering. It might have improved in the past year, but be wary.

Hab-it is a great blog and DVD for working on the pelvic floor.

Edited: Sorry, autocorrect is testing my patience today

I'm not sold and I have rather minor prolapses. When I went for my consult with the OB who specializes in POP, she talked about the role that estrogen plays in muscle tone for POP. Obviously, until menopause I'm sure there is an impact, but then what as you age? Personally, seeing as my mom had POP bad enough to require both a hysterectomy and bladder sling (which failed), I suspect there is a genetic susceptibility or something? I'm not really comvinced of their utility in my situation.

Get a kegelmaster. Seriously. That's all I will say. I have 7 kids and after using this kegelmaster pretty religiously after my first, I have never leaked, never had any problems whatsoever. And yes, it can heal damage.

I didn't know what it was. I was thinking it was some sort of demented Thigh Master knockoff or something. ;)

I checked it out on Amazon and holy cow, that thing looks painful! :eek:

I don't think I need anything like that right now, but it's good to know it's available if I ever do.

But it still looks kinda scary, even though it's a pretty color!

Testimonial:

I saw a Physical Therapist after baby 3 because of a prolapse.  It took about 6 months of weekly treatments plus me working on it at home a few times a day, but it paid off. 

In my case, working with a PT literally reversed the damage.  My PT even told me that she'd never seen a prolapse as bad as mine treated without surgery. (She had been practicing a long time when she made that statement.)

I became pregnant with #4 and continued to do my exercises the whole time.  It's been 8 years, and so far, so good!

PS:  all the women in my family (except one aunt) had hysterectomies because of prolapse or endometriosis and prolapse.  I don't think any of them tried PT, but I didn't want a hysterectomy, so I tried PT.   I would say I definitely have a genetic predisposition to loose and jiggly parts...but the PT worked, even for me.  It probably took longer for me to see results than other women.  I have crummy genes, and I'm used to that.  It helped that my therapist was incredibly supportive.

I didn't know what it was. I was thinking it was some sort of demented Thigh Master knockoff or something. ;)

I don't think I need anything like that right now, but it's good to know it's available if I ever do.

It does look very intimidating. I got it years and years ago, when it was all over the internet/on TV/in magazines. I remember Teri Hatcher and a few other celebrities shared about how awesome it was. And, um, it does work really well. lol

Prolapses are caused by a couple of things.  Having strong pelvic floor muscles can help.  But, the bigger problem is often the connective tissue that holds your organs in place.  Connective tissue is kept strong by estrogen, so when estrogen levels fall off, the connective tissue damage becomes more noticeable.  Some people naturally have strong connective tissue.  Some people are genetically predisposed to weaker connective tissue (I am one of those, unfortunately.)  Traumatic births can damage connective tissue (like a vacuum extraction, especially on a larger baby.)  Kegel exercises can help create a strong pelvic floor, but they cannot correct connective tissue damage.

One key is doing them correctly.   Seeing a PT who specializes in pelvic floor issues can help get you on the right track.  Make sure that it isn't someone who does knees and shoulders and the like, but took a weekend seminar and thinks she's an expert. 

kegels work only one set of muscles on the pelvic floor and you will end up with an imbalance if those are the only muscles you're working.  you want to work the entire pelvic floor and lower abdominals to reverse/treat the damage that comes from age and childbearing.  that way all the muscles that work together - are strengthened together so they can continue to work together appropriately.

It is.  Trust me.  However, the cones have been studied and shown to work rather well, and they're nowhere near as terrifying. 

The Hab-it DVD works on more than just kegels-body posture, multifidus, glutes, lateral hips, etc. to support and fix supportive musculature.  I highly recommend it as a quick and thorough beginning on your way to healing.  Katy's stuff is good, too, and definitely a read for alignment and posture, but it isn't as user friendly and quick if you need just a start. 

I am partial to the kegelcisor.

It has worked well for me over the years.

I also do squats 3 times a week.

My bladder was a mess after a very rough labor and crash c-section. It is not anymore.

Working on it as part of ongoing fitness and health beats waiting for there to be a problem to solve. It also has good, um, marital dividends.

Here's an article that explains thing.

http://www.mommypotamus.com/why-you-need-to-pee-in-the-shower/

Also, things like yoga and pilates do more than just the muscles "down there."  Your whole bottom half is working when you do yoga/pilates and that is what most people need.

Lots of people have multiple weak muscles in their lower pelvis and strengthening all of those muscles is key to holding everything up.

OP here.

Thanks all.  I'll check all of this info out this weekend for sure.

My issue is leakage with cough/sneeze and I feel "a presence" down there (similar to how it feels when tampon is not quite in enough) the week before my period.

Can someone explain how in the world SQUATS help?!!!!!   it seems to me that they'd just smash all your guts down on top of the pelvic floor even more.

OP here.

My issue is leakage with cough/sneeze and I feel "a presence" down there (similar to how it feels when tampon is not quite in enough) the week before my period.

Can someone explain how in the world SQUATS help?!!!!!   it seems to me that they'd just smash all your guts down on top of the pelvic floor even more.

If done properly, and you mean squatting position (not with barbells in a muscle building sort of way), then it actually helps stretch and strengthen your glutes, hamstrings, and other supportive tissues and brings the uterus and bladder into a favorable position.  You have to do them correctly, though!!!

OP here.

Hmm. I oftentimes feel a "fullness" or "achiness" down there the day before thru the first full day of my cycle. I don't think I ever had that before kids but it's hard to recall. Is that related to pelvic floor strength? I never thought much of it TBH.

How do you decide which product to buy?  I never realized until now that are products to help with kegel exercises.  After googling, I've found cones, kegel balls, GenFFlex, and kegelcisor.  I'm sure there are many more.  My budget is tight. 

I want to get the Hab-it DVD.  It's fairly cheap, but what else should I consider on a tight budget.  Also, as a single mom my time, private or otherwise is limited.  My daughters and I share a bedroom during the summer because of A/C issues. 

Here's an article that explains thing.

http://www.mommypotamus.com/why-you-need-to-pee-in-the-shower/

Also, things like yoga and pilates do more than just the muscles "down there."  Your whole bottom half is working when you do yoga/pilates and that is what most people need.

Lots of people have multiple weak muscles in their lower pelvis and strengthening all of those muscles is key to holding everything up.

Interesting article, thanks for sharing. Maybe that's why my walking helped - I did gain a tighter rear! lol.

Hmm. I oftentimes feel a "fullness" or "achiness" down there the day before thru the first full day of my cycle. I don't think I ever had that before kids but it's hard to recall. Is that related to pelvic floor strength? I never thought much of it TBH.

Yes, it can be.

I would go with the cones (you can use it during your shower) or gyneflex.  The gyneflex would need to be used in private for less than 15 minutes a day, so if you can do that in the bedroom or when they are otherwise out of the room, that would work.  I would recommend either of these since they have actually been studied and both have good scientific and anecdotal reports.  The others I can't recommend based on my experience and from reading studies. 

I would start off with Hab-it, follow it every day.  15-23 minutes or so a day.  You can even do it with the kids around.  It looks just like regular exercise, honestly.  There is an illustration of a "pelvic basket" on the screen, but it is a cartoon of bubbles and nothing too obscene, by any means.  Start on level 1, move up to level 2 after a week, alternate those with perfect form until you feel ready to move to the next level, continue to alternate-you don't have to do level 3 every day.  Pick 1, 2, or 3.  Then add in 4 and continue alternating those exercises and do them once a day and taper down to a couple times a week as you see improvement.  If you feel you need biofeedback, use one of the instruments I noted above and make sure you can tell the proper movement.  Don't worry about adding these in if you don't have the money.  The good cones are chaper than Gyne-flex, especially as you get all levels instead of possibly buying the wrong one and being out $35 more.

Feel free to pm me with questions, too.  Unfortunately, I have a lot of experience in this area. 

I also have at least half of Katy's movies and workshops, so I can tell anyone about some of those if they are looking into them.  I would recommend the "Save Your Knees, Build a Butt" and 50 minutes on the ball, in particular.  Down There is good, but those exercises are all on her blog, and another couple blogs I will post when I get on my main computer.

Take a bellydancing class! I'm serious. It could be a great supplement to all of the programs mentioned here. Squats are a stereotypical fitness exercise for bellydancers . . . so are glute squeezes. You improve posture, core strength, and work those deep pelvic and ab muscles just in the course of studying technique. The goal is to learn to dance, but since learning to control each muscle creates a different movement you just end up working all of these areas you guys have mentioned. I didn't even mean to click on this thread, but as I was reading it I couldn't help but think of how entire classes are devoted to working these specific muscle groups and it's nice to think that all of that hipwork can have a 'practical' application.

It can be great, but make sure you keep a neutral pelvis and do NOT tuck your tailbone completely under like some dancers do.  That's a no-no when you have a prolapse.

I don't think anyone reputable has taught a 'hard tuck' in a few decades. You do still see someone do it now and then. ::cringe::