Menu

Sleep Number Bed...opinions?

Miss Cornelia Snook

Our bed just turned ten, and it's time for a new one.  My parents have endorsed their Sleep Number bed, but I wanted to get a few more reviews!  You guys were kind enough to lead me in the direction of my beloved Speed Queen washing machine, so I thought you might be helpful here!  :tongue_smilie:

Do you have one?  Have you tried one?  What did you think?  Worth the money?  Or can you suggest something better?

DH and I aren't in our forties yet, but it's coming up and I know we'll need something good as the ol' bods start to hurt.  I'm willing to pay a but more for something good.

Thanks!

I love my Sleep Number bed.  My aunts and uncles love theirs.  My sisters loves theirs.  My friend loves hers.  I've actually had three.  One is now in my daughter's room, and one is in my attic.  The reason I have the one I have now is that I upgraded to a better one.

The first one I bought was a very low end Sleep Number bed and the mattress top was pretty thin without much padding.  The one I have now is a middle-higher end model and it's fabulous.  I also have a thin memory foam topper on the mattress that I bought from Costco.  The combination of the adjustable air and memory foam technologies makes for the most comfortable bed I've ever slept on.

I've also slept on Tempurpedic, but it makes me way too hot, and too hard to move around when I sleep.  

Lots of people form their opinions of Sleep Number from having slept on them in Radisson Hotels, but Radisson uses the lowest end model, maybe even one made specifically for them, and they just aren't nice.  

Go to the store and lay on them.  For a while.  On your back, your side, your stomach if you ever sleep on your stomach.  I couldn't be happier with mine. 

We like our sleep number bed.  It's getting older now, but I still get the best night's sleep on it than anywhere else.  I'm a stomach sleeper and DH sleeps on his side, so we use very different number settings and it works just great.

Totally quiet mattress.  The only time it makes noise is when you are adjusting the settings.

:bigear: I'm listening with my good ear.  We currently have a 5 month old, mattress that replaced the worst mattress on the planet, but I'm terribly afraid it will turn into a torture device any minute.  (The one it replaced was so comfortable at first, and we thought it was wonderful, but after a few months it was a nightmare.

Ours is iffy. Its 9 years old, so take that into consideration with my review. It started out great. Loved the dual chambers so DH could set his squishy and I could have my side firm. Over the past few years it has started lose air pressure. So I have to re-set it every few weeks. With the dual chamber style, there is a hard "hump" between the two chambers. Annoying as heck if you do not stick to "your side". Also, the sides of the bed are not well supported, so now they are bowing out from us laying on them. My last gripe about this mattress is that it is a royal PITA to move. When the mattress is picked up, its very unstable and wobbly. The two air bladders are not well supported so they flop about as you move the mattress. It is not supported well across the mattress frame either. The biggest pain in moving it is that, with ours, the tubes do not detach. So the whole air compressor unit, tubes, and power cord has to be corralled up and carried with the mattress. We do not plan on buying another to replace it.

We got a Comfortaire instead.  It has been wonderful.  I think it is going on 2.5 - 3 years now.   We rarely have to re-pump it, although dh does his side more frequently than I do.  It is a bit noisy, but less than a minute, and you're done. 

It is very light and comes apart in a modular way by unzipping the fabric/foam envelope.  Per the other poster, I haven't tried to move it, but I don't see how it would be difficult since it is so light.

They are sold online, that's how we bought ours and UPS delivered it in two big boxes.  It took ds and I about 20 minutes to set it all up.  : )  Be sure you ask if they have any specials or sales going on.

I would recommend testing it out first. I HATE ours with the fire of a million burning suns. DH and I call it the hate bed. I like a firmer mattress, and if I set it firm enough to be comfortable while sleeping, I have horrendous back pain the next day. I don't have back problems usually. If I set it lower (45 or so) my back doesn't hurt as much, but I hate the way it feels while sleeping and can only sleep on my back or side. DH likes his even softer, so basically sleeps in a nest. hate hate hate. Did I mention I hate it?

We've been debating it for a while since family members loved it. We're still unsure on the model - and they have a sale right now that we were told earlier this year is usually one of their better sales.

But I don't know, it is a lot to spend on a bed and I worry we'll hate it. I'm starting to consider the bed on sale at Costco this month instead.

We have one that is 12 years old that we love. Ours is the least expensive model with a pillowtop. We actually think they are a breeze to move. We took the mattress apart and moved it in our airplane luggage accross the Atlantic. ;) Several bags but cheapest way.

How do you determine your personal setting? I can just see driving myself crazy trying to decide. A notch softer? Firmer? Kind of like at an eye exam when the doctor says, "Which is clearer? This one? Or this one?" and you start losing perspective and just take wild guesses.

Like many of us, I am intrigued by this kind of bed. But I, too, fear spending lots of money on what turns out to be my Hate Bed (TM Gymcoachvt).

To the how do you determine the setting questions.......this is what I do.

-deflate the bed so it is way less than comfortable

-slowly inflate, laying very flat which for me is one thin pillow

-when the mattress comes up into the arch of my back, sort of lifts me up slightly under the hips I call it done. If you go slow you will feel it and know what I mean. For me that is always between 40 and 50. For my teeny tiny former neighbor her sleep number did that at 25 for her. Everyone is a bit different apparently.

I hope this helps! :)

I was shipping a package at UPS and a couple was shipping theirs back. They said it was awful and they were sleeping on their old guest room mattress, since it was better than the Sleep Number. You should have seen them, the mattress was half shoved into a box, and they were desperate to have it gone.

:lurk5:

We need a new bed.  I keep eying the sleep number.

Our current mattress is a latex.  It was fantastic in the beginning.  Now it's not.  I'm a little miffed about it because I thought it should have lasted longer.

Would you mind saying which one, because that is the type of bed I think I want.

I'm coming out of lurkdom...that's how much I love our Sleep Number mattress :)  We've had it about 6 yrs and it was worth every single penny! I like a firmer mattress, my husband likes a softer one and it has the added advantage that you can always adjust your comfort level during pregnancy, weight gain, weight loss, back injury, etc.  Love, love, love our sleep number!

Jennifer

It sounds like either you love or hate the Sleep Number. We didn't like it at all. I don't like sleeping on air mattresses, so I was unsure about trying it. DH, however, was sure we'd love it (his parents had a knock-off and loved it), so we tried it. When it was soft enough for me to sleep on, my body was resting on the top of the plastic supports, which wasn't soft. Dh and I would have the same number on each of our sides, but one side was significantly firmer than the other. We didn't like not being able to be in the middle of the bed together.

The customer service was excellent; each time I called about something wrong, they offered a solution and sent out something via UPS that would help. When our 30 days were up and it was time to return the bed, they extended the time another 15 days. Those 15 days allowed us to be sure we didn't like it and we returned it ASAP, glad to get it out of the house so we could find something comfortable. We were able to find a higher end regular mattress that was both firm enough for DH and soft enough for me that still didn't cost as much as the Sleep Number did. We both love it!

We were mattress shopping this afternoon and I found the whole process to be incredibly confusing.

We tried the TempurPedic things and weren't overly impressed. Ditto for the Sleep Number mattresses. Actually, the comfiest one seemed to be a cheap Beautyrest mattress that didn't have any of the bells and whistles.

But we didn't buy anything because I am terrible at making decisions.

We were mattress shopping this afternoon and I found the whole process to be incredibly confusing.

We tried the TempurPedic things and weren't overly impressed. Ditto for the Sleep Number mattresses. Actually, the comfiest one seemed to be a cheap Beautyrest mattress that didn't have any of the bells and whistles.

But we didn't buy anything because I am terrible at making decisions.

There's a tv commercial in our area for a mattress store, and their selling point is plain, flippable, nothing-fancy mattresses. They don't make it about price point so much as "regular, flippable mattresses are actually better than the gimmicky ones." So you may be ahead of the curve with your preference for the Beautyrest.

This would be me.

Ugh..

There are 100,000 mattresses in 100,000 price points. I just don't even know what to buy.

I was tempted to buy the foam mattress they had at Aldi for $200 (that came rolled up in a box). LOL

We bought the one from Target. It gave us a few extra years. We needed a new mattress years ago; now we REALLY need a new mattress!!

I swear by my Sleep Number bed. I had low back pain for years, tried stretching, massage, workouts to strengthen my core, painkillers, everything I could think of. Three days into having the SN bed, the low back pain was gone and it hasn't returned in the three years since.

My MIL gave us the Sleep Number bed for our wedding gift. I absolutely hate it!! I had horrible hip and back pain. For me, it was like sleeping on an air mattress even with the pillow top. My husband, on the other hand, loved it! I think that is the way it goes--either you'll love it or hate it.   

My MIL gave us the Sleep Number bed for our wedding gift. I absolutely hate it!! I had horrible hip and back pain. For me, it was like sleeping on an air mattress even with the pillow top. My husband, on the other hand, loved it! I think that is the way it goes--either you'll love it or hate it.   

And I had horrible hip and back pain UNTIL I got my first Sleep Number bed.  :laugh:

I think you're right....people love it or hate it. 

Wow! So many helpful posts! Thank you so much! We went and tried the Sleep Number beds yesterday, and them compared with foam and spring beds at a furniture store. Drove the kids crazy. Made no decision, however. I wish Costco was open tomorrow so we could go try theirs out before we miss any Labor Day sales. (We don't shop on Sunday.) Sure appreciate your help!

We got a Comfortaire instead.  It has been wonderful.  I think it is going on 2.5 - 3 years now.   We rarely have to re-pump it, although dh does his side more frequently than I do.  It is a bit noisy, but less than a minute, and you're done. 

It is very light and comes apart in a modular way by unzipping the fabric/foam envelope.  Per the other poster, I haven't tried to move it, but I don't see how it would be difficult since it is so light.

They are sold online, that's how we bought ours and UPS delivered it in two big boxes.  It took ds and I about 20 minutes to set it all up.  : )  Be sure you ask if they have any specials or sales going on.

This is the one we have. We tried the Select Comfort but hated the big hump down the middle. 

I think people definitely either love or hate the sleep number bed. One other consideration is that if you and your DH like different firmness settings is that one or the other of you will feel like you're about to roll down a hill. My DH needs the bed really soft (25) in order not to have searing back pain the next day, I need mine a bit firmer. So when we're both in bed, he's at least 6" lower than me. If I roll the wrong way in the middle of the night, I roll down the hill and squash him. Annoying at 3am!

We had one for...a long, long time. I hated it. Dh loved it. It is now in the extra bedroom. Animals aren't a problem. The actual air bladder is under plenty of foam to protect it. Noise isn't a problem. The funny thing is that I have a portable twin air mattress made by this same company that I love. I take it whenever we sleep at hotels because I like it so much. For a while, I slept on it on the floor beside the bed... Dh found that to be really odd. I found their customer service and warranty to be an absolute horrid joke. 

Love ours.  We move a lot and loved that it comes apart.  We have had it for 8 years.  Only thing I did not like is that although it comes in parts you can not replace just a part.  We got it when we had three little ones and the top is a little, well, icky.  I would love to replace just that but they do not sell the parts individually.