Menu

I want to end the motion sickness forever

Amira

I'm finally ready to try something to stop motion sickness in our family. I tried Dramamine 20 years ago and while I wasn't nauseous, I still felt awful in other ways, so I guess I gave up on medication for motion sickness. But I am so tired of dreading flights or car trips because I know I'll be sick the entire time. I dream of being able to read instead of just surviving long flights.

We're getting ready to fly to Mexico now, and the flights obviously aren't very long at all, but it's time to do something about this. I don't want to try anything that needs a prescription yet, although I'll do that if non-prescription solutions don't work.

My 14yo and 5yo sons both get carsick and airsick too, so I'd like something that younger children can take or use. I'm leaning toward Bonine, but ginger sounds interesting too. And there are lots of other things out there.

Advice? Experience? Commiseration?

I am The Queen of Motion Sickness.  

I also fly a lot.  I'm going to recommend another medication, because it's the only thing that has ever worked for my severe motion sickness, no matter the cause (flying, driving, cruising, roller coasters, etc).  

Bonine.  Not Dramamine, but Bonine.  It's a different medicine altogether (not just a different name), and doesn't make me drowsy, or fuzzy-headed, or....anything, really, except not sick.  I keep it in my laptop backpack, my purse, and my car.  I cannot imagine traveling without it. 

ETA:  Ginger can be mildly helpful with the stomach upset, but only after it's already upset.  It doesn't prevent it from happening in the first place. 

SIL has three in her family who get severe motion sickness.  I have no idea what the prescription med is they take but it has made them able to travel. My nephew started this med when he was your son's age. They also take the candy ginger everywhere with them.  She tried everything known over the counter first.  It was awful.  They now take cruises, fly everywhere and often make 10-12 hour car rides.  If you decide to go down this road, PM me and I will get the name.

I get very motion sick, to the point where I almost always drive everyone myself.  The fix that changed my life are the patches you put behind your ear, now I am no longer afraid to travel on airplanes or by boat.  I can't even read in a moving car, I can't look behind me into the back seat for very long to help the kids with something, it's that bad. You need a prescription.  I don't go on trips without them.

I get very motion sick, to the point where I almost always drive everyone myself.  The fix that changed my life are the patches you put behind your ear, now I am no longer afraid to travel on airplanes or by boat.  I can't even read in a moving car, I can't look behind me into the back seat for very long to help the kids with something, it's that bad. You need a prescription.  I don't go on trips without them.

That is what SIL uses.  I was trying to think of what it was. 

The medication in bonine is Meclizine.

Dramamine comes in two main forms.One is 'original' and is dimenhydrinate (as is the childrens and chewable formulas).  The other one is marketed as 'non-drowsy' and is meclizine, just like the bonine.

Each person is different as to which works best for him/her.  Meclizine seems to be more popular due to the decrease in drowsiness. You really need to try both to see which is best for you.

There are generics to both, just make sure you compare the active ingredients, serving size and strength. ,

Vitamin b6 and ginger are both common natural treatments for nausea, but are best in combination with other things.

Eating small amounts often makes motion sickness better for most people.  That is why cruises are notorious for Feeding people..all. day. long.  For me peanuts with a sweet coating is great.  The sweet is helps with the nausea, and the peanuts help me to feel full and give some protein.

Meclizine can be prescribed so if someone is recommending a prescription product that is a pill, it is likely just meclizine.  If you try this, compare the price between OTC and prescription.  It is available in 12.5, 25 and 50mg strengths.

The prescription patch is called Transderm Scop (scopalamine). They are very expensive and will likely be the highest copay on insurance since they are usually elective.  One patch lasts 3 days or until it is removed. Once removed it is not reapplyable.

I can totally relate. I've usually stuck w/ Dramamine as that is what seems to work best for me. There is a daytime/non-drowsy version. I tried Bonine once or twice, but didn't notice that it helped a lot. I've also tried a patch (don't remember the name) that you place on the lower back of your skull. However, after awhile, I was starting to lose my vision (as in, looking at a page of print & all the text disappears... completely). It was scary. So, no patch for me.

Check out the geography around the place you will be flying into in Mexico. I know one airport I've landed at there was in the mountains, so the plane did a long, tight, circular descent to land. I was miserable to the point I practically crawled off the plane. The airport had cool, polished concrete floors & I remember laying w/ my face on it (like a cold compress) while dh got the luggage. No, I did not care what others thought about me.

Hang in there & I hope you find what works best for you & your family! :grouphug:

ETA: The patch I tried is one a pp mentioned -- Transderm Scop (scopalamine). It did scary things to me.

The medication in bonine is Meclizine.

Dramamine comes in two main forms.One is 'original' and is dimenhydrinate (as is the childrens and chewable formulas).  The other one is marketed as 'non-drowsy' and is meclizine, just like the bonine.

Oh, wow. And here I was saying that Dramamine works for me (both regular & non-drowsy), but Bonine not so much. LOL. Maybe what I had was different strengths between the non-drowsy Dramamine & the bonine....

I can totally relate. I've usually stuck w/ Dramamine as that is what seems to work best for me. There is a daytime/non-drowsy version. I tried Bonine once or twice, but didn't notice that it helped a lot. I've also tried a patch (don't remember the name) that you place on the lower back of your skull. However, after awhile, I was starting to lose my vision (as in, looking at a page of print & all the text disappears... completely). It was scary. So, no patch for me.

Check out the geography around the place you will be flying into in Mexico. I know one airport I've landed at there was in the mountains, so the plane did a long, tight, circular descent to land. I was miserable to the point I practically crawled off the plane. The airport had cool, polished concrete floors & I remember laying w/ my face on it (like a cold compress) while dh got the luggage. No, I did not care what others thought about me.

Hang in there & I hope you find what works best for you & your family! :grouphug:

ETA: The patch I tried is one a pp mentioned -- Transderm Scop (scopalamine). It did scary things to me.

Scopalamine in drop form, is a medicine doctors use to dilate the eyes. It isn't surprising that you had this as a side effect.  You did the right thing by stopping to use the medicine.  The patch shouldn't be used by someone who had this as a side effect to the point that you did.

Scopalamine in drop form, is a medicine doctors use to dilate the eyes. It isn't surprising that you had this as a side effect.  You did the right thing by stopping to use the medicine.  The patch shouldn't be used by someone who had this as a side effect to the point that you did.

Thanks for mentioning that! It's always neat to learn new facts & know why it did what it did....

Ok, we have tried all most everything I think!  Here the roads are bad, the commutes long and DD does get car sick.  Dramamine (regular) just made her sleep.  Dramamine (non-drowsy) has worked fine althought I would say it is more "less drowsy" than "non-drowsy."  What has worked really well are the wristbands with the pressure points built in and sucking on lemon drops.  She just completed a 10 day vacation with her dad that had long drives almost every day.  She did really well with the bands and the drops.  We have also tried ginger, sitting on newspaper and all sorts of other silly recommendations!

I'll try meclizine for me and my 14yo, but it looks like my 5yo can't take it. The sea-bands look like a possibility for him though. I'm hopeful that those solutions will help my sons because they don't get too sick usually. I'm less hopeful for me because I also have to just look straight ahead if I'm in a car or a plane and spend the entire time concentrating on not getting sick (which has made for many very uncomfortable 10+ hour flights), but I'll definitely look into the patches next if the Bonine and bands don't work for me.

And we will be living in the mountains, so I'll be ready for a possible nasty descent!

If I traveling with someone, I take regular Dramamine. If I'm traveling alone, I take the non-drowsy. I ended up taking 3 when we flew from our hotel to the capital in Costa Rica - I took an extra when I saw the tiny airplane. I get extremely motion sick and can't even read my phone in the car. 

The biggest factor for me is to make sure the medicine is taken enough ahead of time to be working by the time we take off. If not, that first wave of nausea seems to negate the meds, and I really want someone to just knock me out for the remainder of the trip. 

I always turn on the air vent as soon as I get on the plane. I also try to get a window seat. 

I always turn on the air vent as soon as I get on the plane. I also try to get a window seat. 

Me too.

I take something long-sleeved to wear on the plane, then blast the air completely in my face for the entire flight. (I do this in cars too.)

I get very motion sick, to the point where I almost always drive everyone myself. The fix that changed my life are the patches you put behind your ear, now I am no longer afraid to travel on airplanes or by boat. I can't even read in a moving car, I can't look behind me into the back seat for very long to help the kids with something, it's that bad. You need a prescription. I don't go on trips without them.

That's what my mil uses. Thanks to those she can even go on cruise ship vacations or fly to Europe. She says they are fabulous.

I had problems with the patches the first few times I used them, got the dilated eyes- couldn't read after wearing it a day, my eyes hurt, were scratchy...but I wasn't motion sick, and I am usually miserable and throwing up on planes/trains/buses...so I put up with it and didn't wear them long.  I told my Dr. brother about it and he insisted it wasn't the patch but that I must be touching it and rubbing my eyes, which I insisted I wasn't, I'm very careful about washing my hands after I put it on and take it off - and then I monitored myself the next time and caught myself touching it to make sure it was still on, because I get so motion sick that I was paranoid about not having the patch, so yes, I was touching it, getting some of the medicine on my hands and then touching my face/eyes and getting the reaction.  I now make sure to not touch it and I don't have the problem with my eyes anymore while wearing it.    I have insurance and my co-pay has always been reasonable for it.

I can totally relate. 

I was miserable to the point I practically crawled off the plane. .

This happens to me on almost every flight that's even slightly bumpy. Landing is the worst for me. The first thing I do when I get on a flight is to check if I have a motion sickness bag. It's awful. My kids are the same.

I get it in cars also. I have to either drive or sit in the front.

Boats - has to be a very short trip. 

I used to take Dramamine, but a few years ago I had the scariest reaction on the flight - a panic attack, rapid heart beat. Never taking that again. The natural stuff never works for me. When I'm able to, sitting closer to the front of the plane, car, whatever - helps me. That's pretty much the only thing that seems to work. I think I tried Bonine once and it didn't help. The wrist bands never helped me. 

Turning on the vent causes me to have a horrible reaction instantaneously. I have to turn it off as soon as I get to my seat. 

I can relate :( I don't travel much because of this. Dramamine makes me crazy (albeit I don't throw up). When I take it (regular or non-drowsy) my pupils get really big, and it makes me feel as if I'm some crazy drug addict.

I haven't tried Bonine, but sea bands don't work for me. I can't read or do anything in the car either :(

It seems my daughter has the same affliction, which really stinks. You couldn't pay me to get on a cruise.

50mg of Meclizine/bonine the night before I need to travel. It's a 24 hr thing, so I sleep off the drowsiness and am usually pretty ok the next day. I am very very prone to motionsickness - I've made myself sick while driving before. The 50mg usually works like a charm. If I take it the morning of a trip, it doesn't work as well. I think it really needs to get into my system. 

My 5 yr old is another story though. He's vey prone to motion sickness as well and usually throws up on car rides longer than 20 min. Regular dramamine doesn't seem to touch it, so now I'm just waiting for him to be old enough for meclizine and being prepared with a puke kit in the car. 

I had problems with the patches the first few times I used them, got the dilated eyes- couldn't read after wearing it a day, my eyes hurt, were scratchy...but I wasn't motion sick, and I am usually miserable and throwing up on planes/trains/buses...so I put up with it and didn't wear them long.  I told my Dr. brother about it and he insisted it wasn't the patch but that I must be touching it and rubbing my eyes, which I insisted I wasn't, I'm very careful about washing my hands after I put it on and take it off - and then I monitored myself the next time and caught myself touching it to make sure it was still on, because I get so motion sick that I was paranoid about not having the patch, so yes, I was touching it, getting some of the medicine on my hands and then touching my face/eyes and getting the reaction.  I now make sure to not touch it and I don't have the problem with my eyes anymore while wearing it.    I have insurance and my co-pay has always been reasonable for it.

You know, now that you say this, I remember hearing that touching the patch, then touching your face/eyes can cause this reaction. So, that may have been why I had such a strong reaction. But, I've never been inclined to try the patches again, so I don't know....

My 5 yr old is another story though. He's vey prone to motion sickness as well and usually throws up on car rides longer than 20 min. Regular dramamine doesn't seem to touch it, so now I'm just waiting for him to be old enough for meclizine and being prepared with a puke kit in the car. 

Ahh, we traveled with a bucket for years!  Fortunately, my daughter has (for the most part) outgrown her motion sickness.

Regards,

Kareni

Ahh, we traveled with a bucket for years!  Fortunately, my daughter has (for the most part) outgrown her motion sickness.

Regards,

Kareni

Out of curiosity, how old was your daughter when she outgrew the motion sickness? I will say my husband and I are like a pit crew with the puke clean up now and James is getting much better with his aim.

Out of curiosity, how old was your daughter when she outgrew the motion sickness? I will say my husband and I are like a pit crew with the puke clean up now and James is getting much better with his aim.

I'd say she was in her teens.  (There is hope!)

Regards,

Kareni

Sorry, other Princess barfers, *I* am the Barf Queen!  :ack2:  My parents suffered from  my carsickness from the time I was a baby.  I've never outgrown it.  I throw up medicine too, once we get moving.

The only thing that has ever worked for me is the wrist bands.  The ultimate test was when I was a passenger in the car driving up and down a famous mountain.

The wrist bands have made travel an entirely different experience than ever before. 

You could google low histamine diet, and try eating that way for a couple days before your trip.  

I used to have terrible motion sickness and so did my dd, but after we put our kids on a low histamine diet for other health reasons the motion sickness went away completely!  I don't stick to my girls' diet unless we'll be on a boat or going on a long road trip.  It's a bit of a pain, but I'd rather deal with some restriction and spare myself the misery! 

For a few days low hist, you'd need to skip alcohol, tomato, aged/fermented foods like cheese, dairy, lunchmeat, bacon, sausage, etc. 

Amy