Menu

Completely unnecessary school supplies that you bought anyway

I mentioned in the other school supplies thread that I always buy at least a couple of frivolous school supplies.  This year's items are erasers shaped like hats that fit onto a pencil allowing it to have a stack of hats, and post-it notes shaped like mustaches.  I mean, we'll use them.  But...  no one *needs* this silly stuff.

But I know I'm not the only one who buys it!  What are your completely absurd school supply purchases?  Tape with cute characters?  Erasers shaped like odd items?  Hole punches that punch funny shapes?  Adorable lunch boxes even though your children lunch at the dining room table?

Baseball-themed items for my baseball playing ds:

book cover

book marks (came w/ book cover)

pencil box

spiral notebook

erasers

All of the above was put in a gift bag w/ baseballs on it. In my defense, it was the same gift bag we used for his birthday present.

I admit I wanted to spoil ds b/c his sister left for college. Don't judge me!

A chameleon shaped tape dispenser and a snake shaped USB drive. DD always picks a classroom theme, and this year, it's reptiles. We also bought some various classroom decor type items for things like word cards-lizards, turtles, and the like (plus a pack of worms that kind of look like snakes).

At Staples, I bought small Lego minifig cases to use as pencil boxes in each of the boys' "colors." (They each have an assigned color for certain things to keep my life simpler: water bottles, towels, etc.) I also got them Lego pencil sharpeners to match.

That isn't so bad maybe, but I also got a set for my youngest since they had his color (yellow) too. He's barely six months old.

I just couldn't resist!

I have an obsession with office supplies. So I'm in recovery, but I did buy a really nice set of sharpies, over 30 total. Oh and dry erase markers only like 12 of those (very pretty colors) of course I had to have the eraser and spray.... plus a new smaller dry erase board. Does Sculpey clay count?

I was able to resist the very cool Comp books in various patterns of black (it took me 10 minutes to decide I did not need them).

3 glitter binders with glitter dividers, for myself, I have a 12 year old boy :)  But I will probably put school stuff in them.   I also got a package of sharpie highlighters and a bazillion fun bookmarks instead of the postits we normally use. 

A 12-pack of sharpies (or was it 18? I can't remember), a binder and comp book with pandas on it for me and a panda spiral for DS, and 2 different styles of those magnetic bookmarks that fold over the pages so the kids can mark their places in textbooks.

Do the matching binders I bought for each subject count as frivolous? I figured it was easier to know at a glance that green is science, orange is history, etc.  I also bought 6 spiral notebooks only to forget why I wanted them.

A set of fancy glitter gel pens for my dd. She loves using them in her math workbook. She also got a couple of unneeded but cute notebooks with puppies and kittens on the covers.

For myself? A set of Sharpie pens in a rainbow of colors.

My ds asked for nicer, thick 24# copy paper for printing out his Math Mammoth instead of the cheaper, thinner paper. I also got him a spiral bound notebook that he didn't really need, but it was one of those from the someecards site with an ironic saying on the front that was just perfect for him. ;-)

I bought my younger kids really cool bookbags and lunch boxes for two weeks of summer day camp. Those are already sitting in the closet, but I'm sure we'll get plenty of use out of the nose-shaped pencil sharpener, hand-shaped pencil holder and superhero-themed notebooks. I'll probably regret letting my older boys buy a corkboard that looks like a dartboard, and pencils that double as slingshots...

I bought a Duck Dynasty themed spiral notebook for myself, lol

I got one too. LOL Each of my kids also picked out either a Duck Dynasty spiral or composition notebook, and then the boys also wanted a Duck Dynasty 3-ring binder, so they got those too. Those are the only "themed" notebooks we bought this year.

As for other things we bought that were unnecessary, I bought each kid a Boogie Board. The original ones, so they don't save files. I actually wish we had the newer version because it really would be nice if they could save the notes that they take on the Boogie Boards. Oh well. They enjoy them none-the-less.

Pencils. I guess I have an obsession with pencils. We have Lego pencils, Dr. Seuss pencils (2 different packs), glitter pencils, animal pencils...I don't need more pencils, but when I find some that are cute themed, I can't resist, especially since I feel like I'm not necessarily "splurging" since they are relatively inexpensive. :)

Pencils. I guess I have an obsession with pencils. We have Lego pencils, Dr. Seuss pencils (2 different packs), glitter pencils, animal pencils...I don't need more pencils, but when I find some that are cute themed, I can't resist, especially since I feel like I'm not necessarily "splurging" since they are relatively inexpensive. :)

You speak as if a pencil obsession is a bad thing.  ;)

My best friend's oldest DS collects pencils...unsharpened yellow pencils.  He has a huge box of them and won't share or sharpen them.

Where did you get this?? I want it!!

post-70321-0-83411000-1377055694_thumb.j

I got mine on amazon http://www.amazon.com/Lego-Art-Carousel-Stationery-Character/dp/B006LMIV52/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377058169&sr=8-1&keywords=lego+art+carousel 

It is pricey for what it is, but my kids decided that our "school mascot" was the minifig, so when I was looking for something special for our first full year homeschooling and saw this, it was perfect.

How does the pencil sharpener work? Has it held up?

Btw I bought the math mammoth mammoth...completely frivolous.

I got mine on amazon http://www.amazon.com/Lego-Art-Carousel-Stationery-Character/dp/B006LMIV52/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377058169&sr=8-1&keywords=lego+art+carousel

It is pricey for what it is, but my kids decided that our "school mascot" was the minifig, so when I was looking for something special for our first full year homeschooling and saw this, it was perfect.

I mentioned in the other school supplies thread that I always buy at least a couple of frivolous school supplies. This year's items are erasers shaped like hats that fit onto a pencil allowing it to have a stack of hats, and post-it notes shaped like mustaches. I mean, we'll use them. But... no one *needs* this silly stuff.

But I know I'm not the only one who buys it! What are your completely absurd school supply purchases? Tape with cute characters? Erasers shaped like odd items? Hole punches that punch funny shapes? Adorable lunch boxes even though your children lunch at the dining room table?

And yet perfect for preschoolers doing FIAR and rowing Caps for Sale.

I bought my younger kids really cool bookbags and lunch boxes for two weeks of summer day camp. Those are already sitting in the closet...

My dd had one from preschool already and ds wanted one, too. They actually use them a lot! On nature walks we take a long a nature journal, pencils, and some markers and crayons and a lunch. On afternoons I have to run errands I pack a lunch for them and let them pack some toys in their backpack. On short overnights the backpack is an overnight bag and lunch box holds small toys they bring. On field trips they take their lunch box and a change of clothes + some toys or books to entertain on the ride there.

And yes...VBS days.

It's funny because I got the Croocodile Creek brand, which is a bit pricey and 6 months later when we decided to homeschool, I thought about it when I saw their backpacks and lunch boxes and thought'd be a waste, but we probably use them weekly.

I mentioned in the other school supplies thread that I always buy at least a couple of frivolous school supplies.  This year's items are erasers shaped like hats that fit onto a pencil allowing it to have a stack of hats, and post-it notes shaped like mustaches.  I mean, we'll use them.  But...  no one *needs* this silly stuff.

But I know I'm not the only one who buys it!  What are your completely absurd school supply purchases?  Tape with cute characters?  Erasers shaped like odd items?  Hole punches that punch funny shapes?  Adorable lunch boxes even though your children lunch at the dining room table?

I bought the same post-its.

I also bought myself a little wireless mouse.  I didn't need it, but it will be handy and it's pretty.

Skull and crossbones erasers that stack on a pencil.  Metallic pencils, gel pens, a notebook with black paper.  A really cool cube timer to replace ye olde kitchen timer.  A pack of cell phone "bling" to decorate a pink calculator.  A rubber band ball.  Giant paper clips.

Wow, that list does seem frivolous.  But it was fun.  

Now I'm eyeballing the lego pencil holder!  Last year we found a lego desk calendar - but it's since been disassembled and the pieces are in the greater lego collection.

Skull and crossbones erasers that stack on a pencil.  

Ooh!  I almost bought that.  I kept going back and forth between the bones and the hats.  Finally I went with the hats.

Now I really want it to be "Box Day."  So I can take all this stuff out.  But we have another MONTH before we start school!  We just finished.  :tongue_smilie:

Okay, I might need a tape dispenser that looks like a reptile! I love the idea of a theme for the year. That's cool.

I think it was at Office Depot? The plastic changes color in response to body heat.

The yearly theme was something DD really wanted when her cousins and PS friends were in K or 1st grade and were talking about being "Ms. Bradley's Bears" or whatever. I'm not sure PS classes still do that in 4th grade, but she has shown no desire to give it up yet ;)

At Staples, I bought small Lego minifig cases to use as pencil boxes in each of the boys' "colors." (They each have an assigned color for certain things to keep my life simpler: water bottles, towels, etc.) I also got them Lego pencil sharpeners to match.

That isn't so bad maybe, but I also got a set for my youngest since they had his color (yellow) too. He's barely six months old.

I just couldn't resist!

Oooh, I got the green minifig case to store our dry-erase markers! I didn't even know they had pencil sharpeners...::stalks the Staples store::...

This might be my favorite theme for a thread ever! :D

I bought the kids new library totes, which doesn't sound frivolous except that they already have perfectly serviceable backpacks. I couldn't resist the cute ones at Barnes and Noble. DD got one with famous authors illustrated as cats, DS10 got The Hobbit, and DS7 got Harry Potter.

I bought cute post-its too (thought bubbles, exclamation marks, and thumbs-up...although now that I think of it, if I wanted to be a real wench, I could make those thumbs-down :lol:). I can't resist any kind of post-it! I bought the kids their own post-its for their supply caddies. And gum, because we can!

I also bought new mugs for each of us to use during school. DS10's is my favorite. It says "Dear Math, I am not a therapist. Solve your own problems." He and math have a history, so we both find this very funny.

My favorite thing is this reset button, which was linked on a thread a while back. Before when we all got grumpy and things started to go downhill, I would sit us all down and read Voyage to the Bunny Planet to get us back on track. I see the reset button as a more expedient version of that. :tongue_smilie: Last but not least, I bought the multi-color star LED light strand from IKEA to decorate our HS room.

I also bought new mugs for each of us to use during school. DS10's is my favorite. It says "Dear Math, I am not a therapist. Solve your own problems." He and math have a history, so we both find this very funny.

I like this idea. ;) I'm going to go get the kids their back to school gifts for their Schultuetes. That is when I will get the fun unnecessary things. :lol:

Oh, I love all of your frivolous items!  I might need that reset button.

We *also* used to read Voyage to the Bunny Planet (or Alexander and the No Good, Horrible, Very Bad Day) when things got hairy!

Far beyond the moon and stars, twenty light years south of Mars...

This might be my favorite theme for a thread ever! :D

I bought the kids new library totes, which doesn't sound frivolous except that they already have perfectly serviceable backpacks. I couldn't resist the cute ones at Barnes and Noble. DD got the Jane Austen "Nine Lives" bag (scenes from her novels illustrated with cats; DD lives for cats), DS10 got The Hobbit, and DS7 got Harry Potter.

I bought cute post-its too (thought bubbles, exclamation marks, and thumbs-up...although now that I think of it, if I wanted to be a real wench, I could make those thumbs-down :lol:). I can't resist any kind of post-it! I bought the kids their own post-its for their supply caddies. And gum, because we can!

My favorite thing is this reset button, which was linked on a thread a while back. Before when we all got grumpy and things started to go downhill, I would sit us all down and read Voyage to the Bunny Planet to get us back on track. I see the reset button as a more expedient version of that. :tongue_smilie: Last but not least, I bought the multi-color star LED light strand from IKEA to decorate our HS room.

We bought scented markers, scented dry erase and scented highlighters. And the kids picked out "fancy" notebooks just to doodle in so they will stay out of the normal papers we use for school supplies. Oh, and instead of using ziplock bags to house our flashcards, this year we went all out with "fancy" plastic flashcard boxes that **gasp** have kittens on the front of them!!!!

A chameleon shaped tape dispenser and a snake shaped USB drive. DD always picks a classroom theme, and this year, it's reptiles. We also bought some various classroom decor type items for things like word cards-lizards, turtles, and the like (plus a pack of worms that kind of look like snakes).

I need links! My daughter is redecorating her room with a reptile theme.

Oh come on. You have just ruined my day. :lol: Now I have to buy this for DS10, which means I have to buy the dog one for DS7 and the cupcake one for DD...

We are not successful tape sharers. ;)