Menu

Would you buy your kid a workbook called "__ for the gifted child"?

SKL

I saw these at Barnes and Noble tonight.  I've been looking for something to give Miss E to work on while I work with her sister, because she sometimes complains that I give sister more attention bla bla bla.  But to me, that title was a complete turn-off.  I can't imagine giving my kid something that (from a 2nd-grader's perspective) says "you are better than most people" for her to look at every day.

Do I need to get over myself, or do you have a similar reaction to such products?

Aside:  Just this evening she was saying, "I can't believe I'm only a child and yet I'm singing the Phantom of the Opera so well.  And I act like a grownup."  I have no idea where she's hearing this stuff.  (No, I really have no idea.  I would never accuse her of acting like a grownup.)  I mean, yeah, she sings on key, and as her mom I think she's the cat's me-ow.  But gimme a break.  :P

We did use some of these last year and thought they were good filler (something for one to do while I'm working with the other). However, my kids don't really know what "gifted" means at this point, so that part didn't bother me. I also don't think the term "gifted" means the same as "better than others." :)

Personally, I don't avoid the label "gifted", but I also don't seek it out-that is, DD knows that she's identified as PG and that it means she thinks in a different way than most people do, but it's not a superiority thing. If anything, she tends to feel different and inferior. There was a "weird fact" that came over my Facebook (so is dubious, but has a ring of truth) that in peer surveys, gifted boys are ranked among the most popular by their peers, and gifted girls are ranked among the least popular, and I can see that, especially as DD and her friends begin moving into the Pre-teen/early teen years.

I will say, though, that I've noticed that the more "in your face" books and toys are about giftedness or making your child brighter or whatever, the less impressive they are. I prefer materials that don't make such claims (or that do so for parents/teachers, not visibly for the kids), and, for the most part, those seem to actually really have that higher level of content and thinking that meets the needs of GT kids. If you need something workbook-like for Miss E, I'd suggest looking at Prufrock press, Primary Challenge Math, Singapore CWP, and similar books that don't have the word "gifted" on their cover, but that provide a higher level of challenge.

Added-for PP (and most other publishers), the grade on the cover is where you'd use the book in a PS setting-so you probably need to look at the content to find a good fit. My DD was whipping though PP and CTC books in a handful of days, until I actually talked to someone at PP, who suggested jumping her a few levels ahead-and while I was skeptical (I was willing to jump her ahead in grade level stuff, but I thought enrichment should be something she could do on her age level), it ended up being a great fit, and the books actually started taking her a decent amount of time and requiring quite a bit of thought.

If you like them but don't like the title, rip the pages out and then give them to her. You could put them in a folder and replenish it as needed. It also lets you weed through the books a bit so you are giving her what fits as opposed to what the author thought would fit an imaginary child.

If my 2nd grader had the perspective that gifted could mean superiority then I would definitely avoid books like that.  I would also seek to foster the idea that giftedness isn't superiority, but just a difference.  Make sure she understands that everyone has strengths and weaknesses.   Because a child's mind works in a certain way doesn't make them better or worse.  Kids with mental challenges have definite strengths that some gifted kids won't have.  

I think I would be less likely to buy something with that title than if is was called "mind extending" or "challenging and fun", but my child is still very young. Of course he knows that his reading is more advanced than his classmates, but we haven't put a label on it. I also have to avoid books that list a grade level because he will say they are for such and such a grade, and I'm not even in kindergarten yet. And I have to carefully look at easy reader books because he won't read the ones that say they are ok to read with a parent even though he can handle them alone.

I agree that giftedness isn't "I'm better than you," and I certainly don't foster that kind of attitude in my daughter, but at her age, I don't trust her to really "get" it.  She does have a sister with average intelligence and learning problems, but clearly superior to her in physical stuff.  So she understands that academic giftedness is just one kind of talent and not important in all contexts.  (She does know she's "gifted"; she heard me tell the gifted teacher he'd be dealing with her eventually, and that stuck in her mind.)

After kind of telling her off yesterday about the "I act like a grownup" comment, I remembered that being gifted isn't always a self-esteem builder, and I need to consider how to encourage modesty without making her feel badly about herself.  Fact is, she's a little weird socially (not autistic, but she either doesn't find a friend or hones in way too much on one friend).  She doesn't participate in class because it moves too slow and she'd rather read a book.  She barely keeps up with the slow kids in gym. She has paralyzing stage fright.  Often her saving grace is the fact that her sister is almost always with her, making sure she doesn't feel left out.  With that said, I may have to work on her self-image, but giving her a workbook with "gifted" in the title didn't strike me as an image booster.  If anything it seems isolating to me, but maybe I am reading too much into it.

I understand why you're concerned, especially if the word "gifted" has emotional connotations to your daughter.  If you want to use the book (but don't like the title), you could tear the cover off or put a book cover over it.

Personally, I choose workbooks (and curriculum) based on whether they are academically rigorous and whether I think they will be a good fit for an individual child.  I don't really care what is on the cover.  My kids have never been in school, though, so they don't attach any significance to the word "gifted". 

I would have no problem having my DS use a book with "Gifted" in the title.  He knows he is HG.  He also knows that this does not make him superior to anyone else.  He has friends who are great at sports, art, music, etc. We have taught him that everyone has gifts and talents and no gift is better or more important than another.

If she knows she is gifted (as you stated above), you might want to have a discussion with her about what it means.  If she is in second grade, she is old enough to understand.

I try to avoid materials with the gifted label in a highly visible place to prevent the child from telling everyone about it more than anything else.  My children have a habit of including every word of a title when they're talking about books or movies, so any time they would talk about that workbook it would be "___ for the gifted child."  No one needs to hear that.  :lol:

If those are from the series I'm thinking of, I've heard that the material isn't anything special.  I'll second dmmetler's recommendation for materials from Prufrock Press or Zaccaro.

Here's the workbook I saw.  (Hope the link works.)

http://www.amazon.com/Reading-Gifted-Student-Grade-For/dp/1411434285/ref=pd_sim_b_4

I was also wondering, how do they know the exact right reading material for a gifted __-grader?  Isn't there an incredible range of reading ability in gifted kids?  This is "carefully calibrated" to suit all the gifted readers in 3rd grade?

But even if it seemed perfect, I'd be very hesitant.

Here's the workbook I saw.  (Hope the link works.)

http://www.amazon.com/Reading-Gifted-Student-Grade-For/dp/1411434285/ref=pd_sim_b_4

I was also wondering, how do they know the exact right reading material for a gifted __-grader?  Isn't there an incredible range of reading ability in gifted kids?  This is "carefully calibrated" to suit all the gifted readers in 3rd grade?

No, I would not buy the workbook. Not because of the title, but because I do not use workbooks. I do not consider the activities described necessary, especially for a gifted student, and see no benefit over just giving the kid an actual BOOK to read and TALKING about it to develop critical thinking etc. My kids would have considered this busy work.

I would also be puzzled how they determine the reading level appropriate for a "gifted 3rd grader". By that age, DD was reading books nominally at Jr high level (FWIW), while her equally gifted brother was merely reading two grade levels ahead.

I'd spend the money on a real book.

I agree that giftedness isn't "I'm better than you," and I certainly don't foster that kind of attitude in my daughter, but at her age, I don't trust her to really "get" it.  She does have a sister with average intelligence and learning problems, but clearly superior to her in physical stuff.  So she understands that academic giftedness is just one kind of talent and not important in all contexts.  (She does know she's "gifted"; she heard me tell the gifted teacher he'd be dealing with her eventually, and that stuck in her mind.)

After kind of telling her off yesterday about the "I act like a grownup" comment, I remembered that being gifted isn't always a self-esteem builder, and I need to consider how to encourage modesty without making her feel badly about herself.  Fact is, she's a little weird socially (not autistic, but she either doesn't find a friend or hones in way too much on one friend).  She doesn't participate in class because it moves too slow and she'd rather read a book.  She barely keeps up with the slow kids in gym. She has paralyzing stage fright.  Often her saving grace is the fact that her sister is almost always with her, making sure she doesn't feel left out.  With that said, I may have to work on her self-image, but giving her a workbook with "gifted" in the title didn't strike me as an image booster.  If anything it seems isolating to me, but maybe I am reading too much into it.

I would think that a second grader should be able to understand the concept that gifted is different and not better.  I do think it is important to have an ongolng conversation about this.  Point out other kids strengths and talk about how it is okay to be yourself and it is okay for the other kid to be himself.  

I wouldn't buy that workbook, but not because gifted is in the title.  I wouldn't buy it because it looks like a book marketed towards the pride of a parent rather than the needs of a child.   

The word "gifted" is there more for marketing purposes than anything else imho. Prufrock is slightly better. I know that Garlic Press publishes some challenging workbooks too. I usually don't judge by the cover (although a good cover design draws me in more quickly than the words used...I'm just highly visual that way). If the content is to your liking do what others have said if you need to, just pull pages out. Or use something like MEP (for math), just print it out. It's free! Or something from Garlic Press/ Prufrock for language arts.

ETA: when my son was in 2nd-3rd grade, crossword puzzles made a wonderful companion. (Just an idea!)

ETA2: Embassy and I were posting at the same time lol...glad we think alike! :)

I would not buy that workbook or any such book just for busywork. If you looked around or just got on Amazon, you can buy a ton of books that will keep your child engaged and learning and having fun at the same time. 

I do find it challenging to keep my 6 y o engaged (zero TV time in our house, single child and I am the primary care giver who also works). So, I buy "time filler" work books - they are analogy, logic or fun puzzle books from Tin man press, prufrock or Critical thinking company. I also have a Japanese store near my house that sells really elementary Origami step-by-step guide with origami paper and Junior Sudoku books (they have english subtitles for my son to follow). Ditto for crossword puzzle books and chess puzzle books. You will not believe the amount of fun and excitement that these books create at our house! My DS can be occupied easily for 20-30 minutes if I put together a bunch of papers from these books for him to work on while I do things that need to be done at home.

We also buy "craft" books (Klutz books) and maze books for him to work on for lighter relief. 

I also suggest giving her an mp3 device loaded with audiobooks that are real literature books - you may choose books from a list that you may not have time to read aloud. Then you can have a discussion with her on a car ride or on the way to school about what she thought about the story and what her opinions are.

Good luck.

I would think that a second grader should be able to understand the concept that gifted is different and not better.

I think that in our case, the issue is that she's feeling like she has a hole to fill, and she might look to "I'm gifted" to fill that hole.  Which would eventually be more isolating, at least until she becomes included in a gifted community.

Believe me, we talk about differences and how they don't make one better/worse all the time.  Both kids still get bugged when someone else's remarkable talent is discussed.  It does seem to be getting better as they get older.

I think that in our case, the issue is that she's feeling like she has a hole to fill, and she might look to "I'm gifted" to fill that hole.  Which would eventually be more isolating, at least until she becomes included in a gifted community.

I am not sure I understand. It is usually considered perfectly fine, and even encouraged, for a child who is struggling academically to be proud of her musical or athletic gifts and identify through them. Why should, conversely, a child who is struggling with physical coordination, not identify through being a gifted thinker?

I am not sure I understand. It is usually considered perfectly fine, and even encouraged, for a child who is struggling academically to be proud of her musical or athletic gifts and identify through them. Why should, conversely, a child who is struggling with physical coordination, not identify through being a gifted thinker?

I have to be careful of being misunderstood, which happens often.  ;)  There is nothing wrong with being happy about one's gifts and even proud of them.  But if, for an individual child, they are a salve/band-aid for a problem that gifted identification does not solve, that's a different matter IMO.

I apologize for going off the original point of the post.

I think I would be less likely to buy something with that title than if is was called "mind extending" or "challenging and fun", but my child is still very young. Of course he knows that his reading is more advanced than his classmates, but we haven't put a label on it. I also have to avoid books that list a grade level because he will say they are for such and such a grade, and I'm not even in kindergarten yet. And I have to carefully look at easy reader books because he won't read the ones that say they are ok to read with a parent even though he can handle them alone.

My DD once got upset because I got her Singapore Science 5-because she wasn't 5-she was 6!

You are of course right and it should be this way. But it isn't. It is perfectly ok to talk about how your child has been bumped up to a older class for ballet - not OK to say your child has skipped a grade/year.

Actually my DD does ballet with her age grade and an extra class with girls two years older. Has been doing so since March & I have so far successfully avoided talking about it to any of the other ballet parents. It isn't as clear cut as you think.

OP,I just wanted to say ita with your perspective about not allowing giftedness to be a self-esteem band aid. Good luck addressing the deeper issues instead. I think you are right to be turned off by the title of the book, but I see you have plenty of other suggestions instead.

Actually my DD does ballet with her age grade and an extra class with girls two years older. Has been doing so since March & I have so far successfully avoided talking about it to any of the other ballet parents. It isn't as clear cut as you think.

OP,I just wanted to say ita with your perspective about not allowing giftedness to be a self-esteem band aid. Good luck addressing the deeper issues instead. I think you are right to be turned off by the title of the book, but I see you have plenty of other suggestions instead.

I just wanted to add that one thing I like about the reading books is that the readings relate to science and social studies. So I find them helpful for the kids in that sense. (For example, if we are focusing on Ancient history one year, it is nice for the kids to read about Rosa Parks or the three branches of government as a quick review of our previous American history study). I don't think the passages or especially the questions are especially challenging, but the do cover a wide variety of topics that are interesting.

The math books have some interesting supplementary math (for example, Pascal's triangle and Sudoku) that may not be in their regular math curriculum.

I have wondered the same question, and was also a bit put off by the title, so I haven't picked one up yet. But I did look through one in the store a few months ago and thought it might be useful. I thought the math one might be good with more logic problems, which my DD prefers. My DD used to LOVE workbooks and still does occasionally. She was 3, and just turned 4, and I thought the gifted book for 1st grade might be a good fit for her (so still, you can't go by grade level!!). It can be tricky finding materials for asynchronous learners, particularly when they want to write less than an older child.

As far as the child identifying with the word gifted, I think your gifted kids will know they're different, so it's good to have those conversations early and be clear about what gifted means. I was in a gifted program by 1st grade, and all it did was reinforce why I felt different and make me think I was supposed to excel at everything. Having more conversations about everyone having different interests and strengths may have helped me not be so hard on myself. Sometimes I hate how much we feel we have to qualify being brighter than average, make excuses for it, avoid terms like gifted, and hide it under a bush so we won't offend others. It has such a negative connotation that we panic when we see it on a workbook.

So, I would buy it if it looked like something your child would enjoy. If the cover really offends you, I'd remove it. But I bet it won't really matter, as long as the child is enjoying the material.

I saw the whole series at Barnes & Noble when it came out. Kids and hubby looked at them and weren't interested so those are out of my "doodle in the car" list. My kids do like the Penny Dell puzzle books though which are sold everywhere (CVS, Target, B&N, Walgreens). My boys are apathetic to the word "gifted" so the cover title does not bother me or them.

http://www.pennydellpuzzles.com/subcategory.aspx?c=variety

I have only bought two book with the word "gifted" on the cover for my HG son. The first was a story book about a boy who was gifted, something along the lines of Encyclopedia Brown when he was 3 or 4. The second was 101 Success Secrets for Gifted Kids, which is a book of advice from teachers who do gt programs, gifted kids and gifted adults. He reads bits from it when it suits him. When we buy our next crop of books he'll be getting The Gifted Teen Survival Guide. I got these books for him because we live in a community where the average IQ is closer to 80. So he's different, he sees it, he has trouble coping with it. There isn't any of that, "I'm better" stuff with him. It's more like "What's wrong with me?" So knowing that there are other people out there with higher IQ's, who actually enjoy learning and being intellectual is a good thing for him.

I've looked at those books for my youngest accelerated two. They just look like busy work to me. This is a house of penmanship haters so those busywork type books don't fly. I've had a better time using Lollipop Logic and Visual Memory Books. In fact, the only "workbooks" we use are Shakespeare, Analogies, Logic and Visual Memory (mazes). We alternate them throughout the year.

If you like them but don't like the title, rip the pages out and then give them to her.

We bought it to transition back into our "school schedule" for starting this year, as we are now officially schooling as we start K.  Honestly I bought it because I was hoping it would be  quicker for me than trying to shuffle through multiple levels of other books to find the best fit.  I just pulled out the pages and let her pick which ones to work on.  Some of them still required a lot of writing, even for a gifted kid, so we did a bunch orally, too.  It was mostly to have something to do at 8am when "school" time was starting.  

Also, DD is 5, so she really doesn't get/hasn't heard the term gifted yet, but we have had some issues arise in preschool/mother's day out with her communicating with other children and them being mean or rude (typically they tell her "I don't care" when she is getting into a long explanation about something that goes over their heads).  We have had to talk about how each person processes information differently, and that she tends to understand things much quicker than her age peers, but there is no "better" implied or stressed.

We tried one of these vocab books.  We only used it a few times, but we didn't think it was very challenging.  It was colorful and held her interest for a short while (which is what I needed at the time as life was crazy- we don't usually do a ton of workbooks)  That being said, I won't buy any more.  I looked through the series at B&N later and my opinion is that they are just books for upper-average kids.  They must just market to the crowd who has the bright kid and wants to believe their kid is "gifted"  We don't like the label here, but I would still buy a product that said gifted if I thought it was a good fit.

SKL-you might want to consider Teacher File Box or one of the other printables subscriptions. That has been a lifesaver for me with DD because she rarely needs a complete workbook at a level, so I can move around as needed to meet her needs. TFB includes things like the History and literature pockets, and a wide range of activities. It's a big bite to spend at once, but especially with two kids,  it might be more reasonable than buying a bunch of workbooks. Since you're printing single pages, grade level really isn't important. I've been known to print out a 6th grade reading activity, followed by a kindergarten level one that focused on motor skills on a related topic, for a 7 yr old ;).

I think the point of that series is it's a reverse hi/lo passages workbook. Instead of being for older kids with lagging skills it's for younger kids with immature skills and less endurance than their comprehension warrants. For example a selling point is that one of the books allows early readers to read a passage and then circle an answer for the comprehension questions. Most reading comprehension books assume the kids that are old enough to read and understand them are old enough to write their answers to the comprehension questions. TWTM-ish homeschoolers don't need that because one we focus on building writing skills, two we can let them take longer to make their answers, can accept them orally, can have them copy their answer after you've written it down. That's the reason it's called "for gifted" because it addresses asynchronous skills. (homeschooling is custom tailored by a private tutor- that doesn't mean there's not a use for that kind of book).

• 2 weeks later...

Personally we love the books. They are a great fit for my 3 year old son who is a workbook junky. I don't think anything of the "gifted" title. I have found the work books to be different and enriching for my son. He just flew through the 1st grade reading and 1st grade math Sectrum books in a matter of weeks. However the books by Flash Kids slowed him down a little. He still enjoys them and they cover other skills.

I would worry less about them being label for gifted students and would be more concerned about him do work above grade level. But thus far, neither mean anything to my son.

I don't think my son is gifted. And if it were ever proclaimed that he was I would certainly agree with many of the previous posters. It does not mean he is any better than anyone else. He just has a little more ease with doing things. It Doesn't mean he has to work any less either. And I think it should be noted that everyone has a gift. Some kids can sing well, other run fast, he just enjoys math.

I highly recommend this book, http://www.amazon.com/Youre-Smarter-Than-Think-Intelligences/dp/1575421135/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1378320574&sr=1-6&keywords=multiple+intelligences

It is written for children (my daughter read it in first grade when she was getting a little snotty about others not keeping up academically) and explains with checklists all of the different ways someone can be gifted (word smart, people smart, picture smart, etc.) It is especially helpful to show academically gifted children that other children are gifted too, just in different ways. It also offers suggestion to the kids on how to improve areas that they may be weaker in. I think it is a fabulous read, especially because your girls are so close in age but seem to vary greatly in different activities.

Our local library has a copy, so you may want to check to see if yours does also.