Menu

Essential "office supply items" for your homeschool?

3 hole punch.  Brads, pencil sharpners, colored pencils, binder clips for thicker bunches of paper (my preference over paper clips), tabbed dividers.  That's all I got off the top of my head w/o getting into laminators, more artsy type stuff etc.

3 hole punch.  Brads, pencil sharpners, colored pencils, binder clips for thicker bunches of paper (my preference over paper clips), tabbed dividers.  That's all I got off the top of my head w/o getting into laminators, more artsy type stuff etc.

I knew i forgot something: binder clips and divider tabs! (I like the ones that you can stick on to a sheet of cardstock) Thanks!

Oh, and we have the BEST three hole punch. Oxo Brand, if anyone is interested: http://www.bestville.com/blog/best-3-hole-puncher-oxo-moves-out-kitchen-and-office/4

Oh, and we have the BEST three hole punch. Oxo Brand, if anyone is interested: http://www.bestville.com/blog/best-3-hole-puncher-oxo-moves-out-kitchen-and-office/4

I have a cheapy $5 one.  I don't know how I've not broken that thing yet.  Only does 10 sheets at a time, so holepunching jobs can take forever.  May consider this one when it finally comes time to replace.  Can't be much longer.......

Magazine holders - they hold the piano books, my boys' math and language arts enrichment materials which are binded by color coded binder clips.

I have black binder clips for general purpose, blue binder clips for older boy and red binder clips for younger.

None of the glue sticks we bought glue well. We end up using the normal liquid school glue. For large amount of glue needed, homemade starch glue works better and cheaper.

I just discovered the red Ticonderoga grading pencils...I'm probably too excited about these.   :lol:

Binder reinforcement stickers

We mostly use Elmer's glue sticks...I use their regular white glue for gluing things other than paper on paper, as it holds better.  

Creative Memories scissors - I bought 7 or 8 of them off eBay once.  They are perfect.  They are small enough for smaller hands, sharp, cheap (on eBay), high quality.  I probably ought to buy some more now that CM is out of business, because I don't want to ever use anything else.

Creative Memories scissors - I bought 7 or 8 of them off eBay once.  They are perfect.  They are small enough for smaller hands, sharp, cheap (on eBay), high quality.  I probably ought to buy some more now that CM is out of business, because I don't want to ever use anything else.

My stash of the original blue ones is dwindling.... :(

I restocked when we moved and uncovered all the ones that had walked off. Alas, they are probably mostly in the house still - unless my ex took them. I think I'm down to 1 pair in the box in my desk. 

My stash of the original blue ones is dwindling.... :(

I restocked when we moved and uncovered all the ones that had walked off. Alas, they are probably mostly in the house still - unless my ex took them. I think I'm down to 1 pair in the box in my desk. 

After I submitted my post, I thought, "I just told thousands of people about my favorite scissors and where they should go buy them. :eek: "  I promptly went to eBay and cleaned out a consultant that was liquidating her things. :lol:   I'll stash them away until my others are no longer functional (which really should be years).  Now, y'all can go to eBay and buy CM scissors.

After I submitted my post, I thought, "I just told thousands of people about my favorite scissors and where they should go buy them. :eek: "  I promptly went to eBay and cleaned out a consultant that was liquidating her things. :lol:   I'll stash them away until my others are no longer functional (which really should be years).  Now, y'all can go to eBay and buy CM scissors.

:lol:

I wish I could buy some.... alas, can't this week!

I shall just have to make the kids hand them over :D

:lol:

I wish I could buy some.... alas, can't this week!

I shall just have to make the kids hand them over :D

I hope you can find them.  Dd and I found two pairs in the garage today.  :glare:   The kids use them in the kitchen.  I have no idea where the kitchen scissors got to in the move, so I allow it, but I need to get a distinct set of kitchen scissors.  It isn't at all unusual for three or four pairs to be misplaced at a time. 

Sounds like here.... they are spread. I know not that long ago they brought me 4 pairs, but they have since vanished.  :glare:

It is always nice when someone "gets it" though! :lol:

Oh, but for my personal (scrap) scissors I moved to a small pair that has a non-stick coating. The kids know these are truly the, "use it and.... " well, they don't use them! :p

http://www.eksuccessbrands.com/ektools/Products/Honey_Bee__Scissors_EKCB06.htm

EKCB06.jpg

So, what's a good price for these scissors?

Guest boonefhh

We end up using the normal liquid school glue. For large amount of glue needed, homemade starch glue works better and cheaper.7i1.jpg

What we use the most:

--Post-It Flags (the plasticky type, not paper---they hold up to being moved every day)

--clear or pale colored translucent rulers for geometry

--mechanical pencils

--fine tipped dry erase markers in multiple interesting colors like light blue, plum, light green, orange, pink etc (I buy the 10? pack of Expo at Staples)

--dry erase board about 12x18"

--heavy duty hole punch from dh's home office desk ;)

I guess we're not heavy users of office supplies! We haven't used glue sticks ever since beginning home schooling in fifth grade. I just grab the heavy tape dispenser (again from dh's desk lol) if needed.

Post-It tabs

Sharpie markers or thin Crayola markers or both :)

3 ring binders (must be pretty!)

3 hole punch

tab dividers

label maker

white polymer erasers

:willy_nilly:

How did I forget my beloved label maker?  

*clutches it to my chest*

Oooh.  Label makers!!

My list:
Label Maker
Post it note pads - the 4x6-ish lined ones.
Post it stars and little sticky notepads  :lol: 
Post-it Flags  :laugh:   
Highlighters and pretty sharpies
3-hole punch
Laminator
Excellent quality scissors
Tab Dividers - the plastic ones with pockets
Paper Cutter
White Poly Erasers

3-ring binders
Filler paper wtih the re-inforced edges - love that stuff.

A globe.  May sound funny, but I finally bought one when my 6 yr old thought Alaska was next to Hawaii after looking at a map of the U.S. with a cutout for Hawaii and Alaska in the lower left hand corner.  Now she can see where it's really located.

Pencil cap erasers

Hinged metal rings so papers can be taken out of a binder but kept together

Clipboards for doing work away from desks or tables

The best glue sticks I've found are the blue gel Elmer's ones but lately I've only seen them in mixed packs with the regular purple kind.