Menu

So, we were picking on Canada for no good reason.

KungFuPanda

Are you talking about these Smarties? We have them here in MN. Or are you talking about something different?

Those are called "Rockets" in Canada. :)

Nope! I was very disappointed when a friend tried to fill a pregnancy craving of mine by giving me those when I mentioned smarties. It was sweet of him, but those are not the same as our smarties.

:blushing: :blushing: We went to a bulk food store back home. I spent $40, yes FOURTY dollars on Smarties to bring home! Smarties are school currency around here - the kids only get them for good attitudes/participation in school - ie: answering the chapter review questions in SOTW AG. :) Plus, Monster cookies need Smarties. Need. If an American tries to tell me they baked or know how to make Monster Cookies, I will call them a liar. :p

There are places in the Western World that don't have salt and vinegar chips? :confused1:

It is probably only with the past 3~ish (maybe?) years that I've ever seen them here in the U.S., so it is possible that they still might not be found in ALL parts of the U.S., yet. For two of those we were living up north, closer to Canada, so it wasn't surprising to find them, but I was pleasantly surprised to find them here in southern California, too.

However, they are not Old Dutch brand, so they still don't really count. LOL Just kidding. I do miss my Old Dutch chips, though!! Dill Pickle and Ketchup, mostly.

In my part of New England, fish and chips with vinegar is still very popular. Is the song "Fish and Chips and Vinegar, Vinegar" a CN one? We used to sing it at camp.

Fish and Chips and Vinegar, vinegar, vinegar

Fish and Chips and Vinegar

Pepper, pepper, pepper salt

One bottle pop, two bottle pop, three bottle

pop, four bottle pop, five bottle pop, six

bottle pop, seven bottle pop, pop

Don't throw your junk in my backyard, my

backyard, my backyard.

Don't throw your junk in my backyard cause my

backyard's filled.

Wait a sec...are they saying the meal is junk? Is this song anti-Canadian?

OK - I think you have caused me to access a part of my brain that has not been accessed in 30 years! As soon as you mentioned the song, I remembered the tune and the lyrics - even though I have not even THOUGHT of it since I was growing up in New England!

We have had Salt and Vinegar chips in Oregon at least since I was a kid and I will be 30 this year.

Kettle makes a decent salt and vinegar chip.

I don't know how common it is in Canada, but the most delicious meat I ever ate was at a restaurant in Vancouver where I had Musk Ox. It must have been Musk Ox tenderloin. It was so tender, and so full of flavor. Like beef, but way beefier.

Makes my mouth water just thinking about it :D

Bill

We have had Salt and Vinegar chips in Oregon at least since I was a kid and I will be 30 this year.

Same here in NC, except I'm 50. I"m sure there was a time when we didn't have salt and vinegar chips, but it was so long ago that I don't remember it.

I am starting to think that we are talking about 2 different things when discussing salt and vinegar chips. At first I thought we were talking about hot chips with salt and vinegar ( I think Americans call them fries). Now I am thinking people are referring to prepackaged crispy chips. I am getting confused. can someone please clarify. thanks

I am starting to think that we are talking about 2 different things when discussing salt and vinegar chips. At first I thought we were talking about hot chips with salt and vinegar ( I think Americans call them fries). Now I am thinking people are referring to prepackaged crispy chips. I am getting confused. can someone please clarify. thanks

That's what I thought they were talking about, so that's what I was talking about. Though dill pickled fish and chip type chips makes me :huh: too!

No butter tarts don't have any custard. As I believe someone mentioned before, they are pretty much tart versions of pecan pie (without the pecans but sometimes with raisins). I'm in Ottawa and must say that at most restaurants we eat the same foods as any American restaurant. Even though Ottawa is just across the river from the province of Quebec, we don't really eat tortiere or poutine very often at all. I do however LOVE salt and vinegar chips (especially salt and malt vinegar) and would definitely miss real maple syrup. Now I have a question for those below the border. What is barbeque? Here it is a thing we do. We have hotdogs and hamburgers or steak cooked on the BBQ and we call it a barbeque. I have heard the word used as a noun sometimes in the States. What is this?

Much Canadian cuisine is ethnic and regional.

But here are some things I can't get here (easily).

Chips with white vinegar sprayed on them. Never had this or even heard of it.

Back bacon (not, ahem "Canadian" bacon)

Hong Kong bakeries (OK, we do have a good one here... but it's a bit of a drive)

butter tarts (oh, I miss butter tarts)

mince tarts

Montreal-style bagels (there is a place that makes them locally, and they're not bad... but neither are they fantastic)

Montreal smoked meat

Nanaimo bars Originated in British Columbia, but available pretty much everywhere in Canada

all dressed potato chips (I don't miss these... beastly things)

dulse Seaweed, for the non-initiated. Definitely limited to East Coast

There's a place here that serves decent poutine, for my once-a-year craving.

ETA: Donairs!

I'd have to say that Canada is such a large country geographically, populated with people from all over the world, that there is no "Canadian food" because there are many special foods, but only found in certain regions.

Here are my favourite "Canadian Ethnic Foods"

- Perogies and cabbage rolls and Kolbasa sausage - Ukranian

- Moose meat, venison, bannock - Native Canadians

- Montreal style bagels and Montreal smoked meat - Montreal, and "imitations" outside of Montreal varying in quality and taste

- Tim Hortons coffee and donuts - equally good/bad country-wide

- Crabmeat sandwiches - East coast (even in McDonalds!!!!)

- Asian cuisine (Chinese, Japanese, Thai, Indian, etc.) - delicious at any large city in Canada (probably some smaller communities, too)

- Donairs, Shwarma, Humus - Lebannese (I could be wrong about Donairs being Lebannese)

The BEST "chocolate bar" ever, and not available in the US is Smarties. They are like M&Ms (rather than the Smarties in US which are like our Rockets)

Tourtiere Yummy!

Patate frites with vinegar

Anything from a sugar shack during sugaring-off season Costco even makes pretty good Maple Syrup scones during the season

Montreal bagels and smoked meat

Butter tarts

Mince tarts

Ketchup chips

A "steamie" and poutine What's a steamie?

wine gums

Beaver tails The pastries, right? Love them while skating on the Rideau Canal in Ottawa!

Habitant pea soup

Hot chicken sandwich

Kraft dinner

Sugar pie Yummy, too!

Harveys and Suisse Chalet, and Tim Hortons It's Swiss Chalet, not be confused with the restaurants I've seen in the US

Growing up in Montreal heaps of the things we ate were "ethnic" or would be considered French food rather than Canadian

I'm in Ottawa now, so we get a lot of food Montreal-style, though they're usually better tasting if you get them in Montreal.

How about the lovely Quebec chicken restaurant chain St-Hubert Chicken? Not as good as non-chain restaurants, but still very yummy and great for families.

Oh, how could I forget: when at the Halifax airport in Nova Scotia, take your live lobster home with you on the plane in a special box!! Cook it up fresh at home and get those warm fuzzies from the East Coast.

If you've also been in Newfoundland (especially to a wedding), you've probably tried Screech (local spirit, was originally their moonshine), and maybe kissed a codfish.

I've never known "salt and vinegar chips" to refer to anything other than potato chips. I did also mention chips/fries with white vinegar (as opposed to malt).

Harveys

Are the next day's fries still cut on site each night at Harvey's? Fast food with fresh fries isn't something you see here.

In my part of New England, fish and chips with vinegar is still very popular. Is the song "Fish and Chips and Vinegar, Vinegar" a CN one? We used to sing it at camp.

Fish and Chips and Vinegar, vinegar, vinegar

Fish and Chips and Vinegar

Pepper, pepper, pepper salt

One bottle pop, two bottle pop, three bottle

pop, four bottle pop, five bottle pop, six

bottle pop, seven bottle pop, pop

Don't throw your junk in my backyard, my

backyard, my backyard.

Don't throw your junk in my backyard cause my

backyard's filled.

Wait a sec...are they saying the meal is junk? Is this song anti-Canadian?

Our GS troop in Connecticut sang this a lot. Except the last verse was "Don't chuck your muck in my backyard...."etc.

*IS* this anti-Canadian??? Horrors!!

Not together. :)

Now you've brought up some big memories. We had two brands of chips, I believe? Old Dutch and Hostess. They both had ketchup and dill pickle, but both were completely different. I remember I liked Hostess much better than Old Dutch!

I believe we are talking about both. 'Fish and Chips' is a seafood restaurant menu standard in New England; what you get is batter-fried fish and french fries- fried potatoes in (thicker than McD's) strips or wedges. Then, there are potato chips; crispy chips and vinegar sold in regular standard chip bags. Clear as mud? I think even Pringles produces salt & vinegar Franken chips.

Well I was talking about packages chips in my post although you can get vinegar for you fish and chips at most restaurants around here white or malt. I remember going to a Sizzler in Portland when I was a teen and asking for vinegar to go with my fish and chips and the waiter looked at me like I had three heads. My Grandmother was a British War Bride so we always had vinegar with our fish and chips. ;)

I am also on a search for the perfect egg custard tart. I think that's what your butter tarts are.

Butter tarts are definitely not egg custard tarts. Here in Canada, Chinese and Portuguese bakeries tend to have custard tarts. The Chinese bakery ones have a sweet crust and the custard is quite gelled. The Portuguese ones have flakey crusts and the custard is less sweet. Can you tell that I love egg custard tarts?

Our GS troop in Connecticut sang this a lot. Except the last verse was "Don't chuck your muck in my backyard...."etc.

*IS* this anti-Canadian??? Horrors!!

I sang this song, too, without the last verse. Actually, the verse is quite appropriate for my backyard. It is full, so find somewhere else to put your junk!! :laugh: I don't find the song anti-Canadian.

Thank you people, now I have a serious craving for Chimo perogies (or homemade, with the dough cut out with grandma's "perogie cup" and NOT a round cookie cutter!), cabbage rolls, and some delicious Mundare sausage!!! Anyone want to swing by Mondare, Alberta and ship me a bag?

Thank you people, now I have a serious craving for Chimo perogies (or homemade, with the dough cut out with grandma's "perogie cup" and NOT a round cookie cutter!), cabbage rolls, and some delicious Mundare sausage!!! Anyone want to swing by Mondare, Alberta and ship me a bag?

Oh homemade perogies (with the cup) are the BEST. Seriously drool worthy.

Bwahahahaha! I have a box of those in my freezer right now.::D

My Canadian born mom made butter tarts when we were growing up (still does sometimes). They *looked* disgusting to me and I did NOT eat them. Tried one when I was an adult and now I don't want her to make them because they're so yummy and I'll eat a dozen if I eat one. :p

Are the eggy puffy things that you make in muffin tins Canadian? Served with roast beef ....

Are the eggy puffy things that you make in muffin tins Canadian? Served with roast beef ....

Yorkshire pudding, though I prefer them in a rectangular pan. Canadian, yes, but only through British heritage.

Yorkshire pudding, though I prefer them in a rectangular pan. Canadian, yes, because only through British heritage.

Yes! Thank you. I was out by the pool with the kids and couldn't think of the name. I don't think I realized until this thread how much of the culinary side of my upbringing was related to my Canadian heritage. My mom was a good cook, and now I see that a bit of what she brought to the table was uniquely Canadian.

It is probably only with the past 3~ish (maybe?) years that I've ever seen them here in the U.S., so it is possible that they still might not be found in ALL parts of the U.S., yet. For two of those we were living up north, closer to Canada, so it wasn't surprising to find them, but I was pleasantly surprised to find them here in southern California, too.

However, they are not Old Dutch brand, so they still don't really count. LOL Just kidding. I do miss my Old Dutch chips, though!! Dill Pickle and Ketchup, mostly.

I'm from S FL and have been eating Salt and Vinegar chips since probably high school time (I graduated in '89). Also, most places that serve fish and chips will have malt vinegar to put on fries. That is pretty normal in all the areas that I lived in in FL.

I'm from S FL and have been eating Salt and Vinegar chips since probably high school time (I graduated in '89). Also, most places that serve fish and chips will have malt vinegar to put on fries. That is pretty normal in all the areas that I lived in in FL.

When I was in my teens, there were places in Florida that served white vinegar as well due to the sheer number of Canadians. That was back in the day when during Spring Break we were permitted to purchase alcohol and enter clubs according to the rules in our home province rather than whatever the drinking age was on Florida at the time. Ah, the heady days of youth. High school kids went down by the busload.

For the previous poster who asked, barbecue refers to both a method of cooking and, for some, the food that is prepared in this manner. To many, anything cooked over coals on a grate or on a gas grill has been barbecued. But to foodies or grill masters, cooking hot dogs, hamburgers, steaks, etc quickly over coals or gas is considered grilling. Only cooking meat long and slow usually indirectly over coals is considered true barbecuing. And this meat, which is fork tender after hours and hours of slow cooking, is barbecue.

Now, I won't get into which kinds of meat (pork or beef) or what kind of sauce is basted onto the meat because that would be walking into a never-ending debate!

Hubby likes Canadian Ice Wine. I have never tried so which brands are good?

I've tried some from the Niagara region. I'm not sure if they make it in other provinces. I can't afford it anyway, so it's the cheaper red wine for me. It is very delicious, though.