Menu

Book a Week in 2013 - week twenty six

Robin M

Happy Sunday, dear hearts! Today is the start of week 26 in our quest to read 52 books in 52 weeks. Welcome back to all our readers, to all those who are just joining in and to all who are following our progress. Mr. Linky is all set up on the 52 Books blog to link to your reviews. The link is below in my signature.

52 Books Blog - Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy: Highlighting #12 in SWB's list of great fiction from Well Educated Mind.

Week 26 and we are halfway through the year. Yes it has gone way too fast but time flies when you are having fun. How are you doing so far? Right where you wanted to be, behind or ahead of your goal?

Speaking of goals, I'm thinking of next year already. (yes, I know - you are saying stop that Robin or my head will explode) Since the Hive knows our book chats exist, I'm not going to do the grand announcement at the end of the year. We'll just quietly continue and those who have been :ph34r: ( I see you - yes I do) can join in at that time. Because we really now how to

:party:

What are you reading this week?

Link to week 25

:cheers2:

I just started M.L.N. Hanover's Graveyard Child which is book # 5 in her Black Sun's Daughter urban fantasy series. I'm taking off for Arizona today to visit my folks for 4 days and work on trust and estate stuff with my dad so will be checking in later tonight. My airplane book is James Rollins Map of Bones from his Sigma series.

:seeya:

I finished Mrs. Robinson's Disgrace- 2 Stars. For me, it was a waste of time. It didn't flow easily and was more like a research project than an actual diary. I liked the feminist approach, but really, that's about it.

9781408815632.jpg

MY RATING SYSTEM

5 Stars

Fantastic, couldn't put it down

4 Stars

Really Good

3 Stars

Enjoyable

2 Stars

Just Okay – nothing to write home about

1 Star

Rubbish – waste of my money and time. Few books make it to this level, since I usually give up on them if they’re that bad.

Our Hearts Were Young and Gay by Cornelia Otis Skinner. Memoir about a trip to Europe taken by two young girls in the 1920s. This book has been sitting on my shelf for the past two years. I read it last week and am kicking myself for not picking it up sooner. The first half of the book is the strongest and I laughed my way through it - this lady can write. Fun, fun read.

I'm almost halfway through A Prayer For Owen Meany. I'm liking the story very much, and am very interested in where it's headed. But even though I love a good long book, I'm finding this one to be maybe a bit more wordy than necessary for the story. I just want John Irving to get on with it already! This is my #25 book, so I'm a tad behind schedule for a book a week, and pretty far behind what would be a normal reading year for me. But I generally always read lots of chunksters, and this year I've been reading even more of them than usual, so that slows down the count even though I'm reading a lot. And I've got Anna Karenina in the pile for sometime later this year, so that's not going to help improve my count any. Maybe we should count pages read instead of books read! :laugh:

I'm not sure I've posted since about week 6 but I'm still hanging in there. A bit behind--maybe at 21 books? But our huge summer vacation/road trip is coming up and I generally knock out three or four books even when I'm not motivated so I fully expect to get back on track.

My most recent big finish was Flannery O'Connors The Habit of Being. I really, really loved it. And I really, really don't get her fiction still. Dh has taught some of her stories before so I just got her two novels for his new kindle to read on the road. And I'm planning on reading through her complete short stories when we return.

I'm planning to finish David McCullough's The Greater Journey before we leave on our trip.

Just finished John Grisham's "Theodore Boone The Accused". This is a great series for young teens. Dd really likes them. It is about a thirteen year old boy who spends far too much time in his parents law office and uses his legal knowledge to solve crimes. In this one he is accused of a crime himself. In my village library these are in the adult section (????) but they are written for the younger market.

I also finished "The Art Forger" by BA Shapiro. I found it very interesting but disturbing. I did like it.

I never responded to this thread last week as I sadly didn't finish any books.

This week, however, I managed to squish in two to their conclusions:

#32 - If Morning Ever Comes, by Anne Tyler.

#33 - How to Interpret Dreams and Visions: Understanding God's Warnings and Guidance, by Perry Stone.

I am currently in the midst of five different books - two nonfiction and three fiction. This is rare for me! Things are stressful enough that time is at a premium, making it hard these days to finish one book in a week, much less five.

As for Robin's question re satisfaction with where we are in books read so far this year . . . With all that is going on, I guess my answer is *pleased* and *surprised* that I've made it this far!

I did a quick check of how many books I had read by this general time frame (June 16-23) and the totals for the whole year, over the past five years that this book thread has blessedly existed.

2009 = 34 books; 65 total

2010 = 33 books; 69 total

2011 = 46 books; 80 total

2012 = 31 books; 73 total

2013 = 33 books

I guess I'm about average. :)

I just finished the first title in the two book compilation A Counterfeit Betrothal/The Notorious Rake by Mary Balogh which was a reread for me.

"A COUNTERFEIT BETROTHAL

Lady Sophia Bryant has no intention of marrying anytime soon. Her one desire is to reunite her parents, who have been estranged for fourteen years. Surely, if she happens to announce her betrothal—even a false one—they will be forced to see each other. Devilishly handsome Lord Francis Sutton seems perfect for such deceit, always agreeable to games of passion in which he has nothing to lose. The trap is set—if only Lady Sophia can keep her foolish heart from falling prey to her brilliant snares."

The book contains two romances that of the young couple mentioned above as well as that of the young woman's parents. I enjoyed rereading the book.

Now I've begun the second book in the volume.

Regards,

Kareni

Our Hearts Were Young and Gay by Cornelia Otis Skinner. Memoir about a trip to Europe taken by two young girls in the 1920s. This book has been sitting on my shelf for the past two years. I read it last week and am kicking myself for not picking it up sooner. The first half of the book is the strongest and I laughed my way through it - this lady can write. Fun, fun read.

I love this book!!

Still reading Cooked by Michael Pollan and Cabal by Michael Dibdin. The latter is a murder mystery but with a brooding detective who must wind his way through Italian politics and, in this case, Vatican politics. I am enjoying both books.

That puts me ahead of where I was at this time in 2012 (35 books completed) and in 2011 (24 completed). By this time in 2010, I had already dropped out. Woot woot - yea me!

Yea you, indeed!

Anna Karenina -- This book has been sitting on my shelves for, literally, years. It's even the good Pevear/Volokhonsky translation. Methinks I am going to have to find a group read to join to get this one done; I just can't get motivated to do it on my own.

The same translation is sitting in my dusty books. I would love to join you in reading it but may have to put this off for a bit due to some travel plans. Anna Karenina is not my idea of an airplane book!

Last week I finished book #42 Cold Is The Grave (Peter Robinson, Inspector Banks series) which brings me to 82% of the 52 book goal.

The only reading I've done in the last 2 weeks were an Inspector Banks novella, which I enjoyed, and the Inspector Banks novel All The Colours of Darkness which I did not like at all! It is the first of his books I didn't like, which was a huge disappointment because I picked it up for some light reading in the middle of a marathon cross country drive. I wanted to read but didn't want to think. This book made me think, however -- it made me think of everything that was wrong with it!! For one thing it was very formulaic, especially the characters who instead of being the usual rich, complex and well drawn out people were simple cardboard cut outs. Banks went rogue, Winsome was sensible and Annie was confused. The only character development was that Annie cut her hair. The plot was unbelievable, and the music references were finally getting on my nerves. Did Peter Robinson get bored with his own series? Is he under pressure to produce more so is churning them out with little care?

The ending especially ticked me off. It didn't help that we were in the middle of nowhere in West Texas with 200 miles to go before a Starbucks. The hotel coffee was gawdawful and I needed my caffeine fix, so I figured I'd pass the time finishing the book while my ds drove. Big mistake on my part -- I was ticked off by the last page and wound up with a nasty caffeine withdraw headache! We found our Starbucks in El Paso and our iced coffees fueled us for several hundred more miles.

On a personal note -- I had a terrific couple of weeks down South. My ds graduated from college and we got to spend lots of time with family in both Florida and Alabama. I ate so much good food, got up on water skis, and I loved every thunder storm that rolled by -- we get very few in Southern California. I helped my ds empty his apartment then we drove cross country with a cat.

Last week I finished Characters, Emotion & Viewpoint by Nancy Kress, then read Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott. I only need to read one more writing book for my 5/5/5, and I'm waiting in line for Writing Down the Bones from the library. I also finished The Strange Affair of Spring Heeled Jack today by the pool. This was a very fun book, and I'll likely read the second book in the series eventually.

Finished Red Badge of Courage and think it will fit our school year well. But definitely a book where we will scratch our heads and wonder yet again what is it about men and war? We think the world would be a very different place if women ran it. Not sure what's next--probably Hitler Youth by Susan Campbell Bartoletti since I picked it up at the used bookstore last night and it looks interesting. But I think it's a kid book so I won't count it here. I'll probably also start another WWII book since I'm on a roll--either The Diary of Anne Frank or In the Garden of Beasts. Or both.

Books Read in 2013

24. Red Badge of Courage-Stephen Crane

23. Suite Francaise-Irene Nemirovsky

22. Have His Carcase-Dorothy Sayers

21. Cloud Atlas-David Mitchell

20. Busman’s Honeymoon-Dorothy Sayers

19. Strong Poison-Dorothy Sayers

18. The Kitchen House-Kathleen Grissom

17. Code Name Verity-Elizabeth Wein

16. Pandora’s Lunchbox-Melanie Warner

15. The Light Between Oceans-M.L. Stedman

14. Gaudy Night-Dorothy Sayers

13. Warrior Girls-Michael Sokolove

12. The Shape of the Eye-George Estreich

11. The Tiger’s Wife-Tea Obreht

10. The Hare with Amber Eyes-Edmund de-Waal

9. The Panic Virus-Seth Mnookin

8. Chi Running-Danny Dreyer

7. Speaking from Among the Bones-Alan Bradley

6. The Sun Also Rises-Ernest Hemingway

5. North by Northanger-Carrie Bebris

4. Train Dreams-Denis Johnson

3. Northanger Abbey-Jane Austen

2. Sense and Sensibility-Jane Austen

1. The Great Influenza-John M. Barry

Just started:

Periodic Tales: A Cultural History of the Elements from Arsenic to Zinc by Hugh Aldersey-Williams

--------------------------

My Goodreads Page

My PaperbackSwap Page

Working on Robin's Dusty &/or Chunky Book Challenge.

Working on Robin's Continental Challenge.

Working on LostSurprise's Dewey Decimal Challenge. Complete Dewey Decimal Classification List here.

My rating system:

5 = Love; 4 = Pretty awesome; 3 = Decently good; 2 = Ok; 1 = Don't bother (I shouldn't have any 1s on my list as I would ditch them before finishing)...

2013 Books Read:

01. Women of the Klondike by Frances Backhouse (3 stars). Challenges: Dusty; Continental – North America (Canada); Dewey Decimal – 900s.

02. Equator by Miguel Sousa Tavares (3 stars). Challenges: Dusty; Continental – Europe (Portugal) & Africa (São Tomé and Príncipe).

03. UFOs, JFK, & Elvis by Richard Belzer (2 stars). Challenge: Dewey Decimal – 000s.

04. The Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammett (4 stars). Challenge: Continental – North America (USA).

05. The Twelve Rooms of the Nile by Enid Shomer (3.5 stars). Challenge: Continental – Africa (Egypt).

06. The Hard Way by Lee Child (2 stars).

07. The Dud Avocado by Elaine Dundy (3 stars).

08. Daughters of Copper Woman by Anne Cameron (3.5 stars). Challenge: Continental – North America (Canada).

09. A High Wind in Jamaica by Richard Hughes (3.5 stars).

10. The Djinn in the Nightingale’s Eye by A.S. Byatt (4 stars).

11. Our Lady of Alice Bhatti by Mohammed Hanif (4 stars). Challenge: Continental – Asia (Pakistan).

12. Crazy Sexy Diet by Kris Carr (4 stars). Challenge: Dewey Decimal – 600s.

13. The Stockholm Octavo by Karen Engelmann (4 stars). Challenge: Continental – Europe (Sweden).

14. A Case of Exploding Mangoes by Mohammed Hanif (4 stars). Challenge: Continental – Asia (Pakistan).

15. Speaking from Among the Bones by Alan Bradley (4 stars).

16. Assassination Vacation by Sarah Vowell (2.5 stars). Challenge: Dewey Decimal – 900s.

17. Breakfast at Tiffany’s by Truman Capote (4 stars). Challenge: Continental – North America (USA).

18. Hopscotch by Julio Cortázar (3 stars). Challenges: Dusty & Chunky; Continental – South America (Argentina).

19. The Tenth Circle by Mempo Giardinelli (3 stars). Challenge: Continental – South America (Argentina).

20. Nick & Jake by Jonathan Richards and Tad Richards (3.5 stars). Challenge: Dusty.

21. A Funny Dirty Little War by Osvaldo Soriano (3 stars). Challenge: Continental – South America (Argentina).

22. Winter Quarters by Osvaldo Soriano (4 stars). Challenge: Continental – South America (Argentina).

23. The Fifty Year Sword by Mark Z. Danielewski (3.5 stars).

24. Wheat Belly by William Davis M.D. (2.5 stars). Challenge: Dewey Decimal – 600s.

25. Secret Societies by Kelly Knauer (2 stars). Challenge: Dewey Decimal – 300s.

26. The Secret History of the Pink Carnation by Lauren Willig (2 stars).

27. 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami (5 stars). Challenges: Dusty & Chunky; Continental – Asia (Japan).

28. The Iron Will of Shoeshine Cats by Hesh Kestin (4 stars). Challenges: Dusty; Continental – North America (USA).

29. Sacré Blue by Christopher Moore (3 stars).

30. A Tale for the Time Being by Ruth Ozeki (5 stars). Challenge: Continental – Asia (Japan) & North America (Canada).

31. Phoebe & the Ghost of Chagall by Jill Koenigsdorf (3 stars).

32. I Will Have Vengeance by Maurizio de Giovanni (3 stars). Challenge: Continental – Europe (Italy).

33. Lost on Planet China by J. Maarten Troost (3 stars). Challenge: Dewey Decimal – 900s.

34. Hammett Unwritten by Owen Fitzstephen (4 stars). Challenge: Continental – North America (USA).

35. All Men Are Liars by Alberto Manguel (5 stars). Challenges: Continental – South America (Argentina) & Europe (Spain); Pick A Book By Its Cover

36. This Book is Full of Spiders by David Wong (3 stars).

Boy am I behind!!!!

I picked up The Adventures of Augie March - by Saul Bellow for week 24 and it took me three weeks to finish, it was SOOOOOOOO tedious! I just couldn't get into it and it took me forever to read. What a long, slow, dull book. Blech.

1 - All The King's Men – Robert Penn Warren

2 - A Stranger in a Strange Land – Robert Heinlein

3 - A Handmaid's Tale - Margaret Atwood

4 - Catcher in the Rye – J.D. Salinger

5 - Fahrenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury

6 - The Grapes of Wrath – John Steinbeck

7 – Murder on the Orient Express – Agatha Christie

8 – The Illustrated Man – Ray Bradbury

9 – The Great Gatsby – F. Scott Fitzgerald

10 – The Hiding Place – Corrie Ten Boom

11 – The Square Foot Garden – Mel Bartholomew

12 - Catch-22- Joseph Heller

13 - Heart of Darkness- Joseph Conrad

14 - Partners in Crime - Agatha Christie

15 - Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams

16 -O, Pioneers!- Willa Cather

17 - Miss Marple - The Complete Short Story Collection - Agatha Christie

18 - Ringworld - Larry Niven

19 - Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man- James Joyce

20 - Slaughterhouse Five - Kurt Vonnegut

21 - To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee

22 - Game of Thrones - George R. R. Martin

23 - The Adventures of Augie March - Saul Bellow

:ph34r: ( I see you - yes I do) can join in at that time. Because we really now how to

:thumbup1:

Definitely will have to look for this one!

Maybe we should count pages read instead of books read! :laugh:

Psssst. :ph34r: If you're on Goodreads, it will calculate that for you.

Fairy tales are perfect when you are in pain and need to zone out.

:grouphug: Hope you're feeling better soon.

As for Robin's question re satisfaction with where we are in books read so far this year . . . With all that is going on, I guess my answer is *pleased* and *surprised* that I've made it this far!

Awesome!

That puts me ahead of where I was at this time in 2012 (35 books completed) and in 2011 (24 completed). By this time in 2010, I had already dropped out. Woot woot - yea me!

Another awesome!

On a personal note -- I had a terrific couple of weeks down South. My ds graduated from college and we got to spend lots of time with family in both Florida and Alabama. I ate so much good food, got up on water skis, and I loved every thunder storm that rolled by -- we get very few in Southern California. I helped my ds empty his apartment then we drove cross country with a cat.

Yay. So glad you enjoyed your time! And, we've had quite a few thunderstorms in the south lately, lol.

Hey, you should have been reading Faulkner on your trip! (I need to get back to Absalom, Absalom as soon as my brain decides to return to its home base. I think it's out wandering on Mars or somewhere these days. :glare: )

I also finished The Strange Affair of Spring Heeled Jack today by the pool. This was a very fun book, and I'll likely read the second book in the series eventually.

So glad you enjoyed it. The second one was also pretty good. I still need to read the third one....

wonder yet again what is it about men and war? We think the world would be a very different place if women ran it. Not sure what's next--probably Hitler Youth by Susan Campbell Bartoletti since I picked it up at the used bookstore last night and it looks interesting. But I think it's a kid book so I won't count it here. I'll probably also start another WWII book since I'm on a roll--either The Diary of Anne Frank or In the Garden of Beasts. Or both.

Agreeing with your train of thought re: men & war & I, too, often wonder what the world would be like if most societies were matriarchal. In that vein, I'd definitely go w/ reading Anne Frank first. (Plus, I just didn't really care for In the Garden of Beasts myself. I think there are better WWII books out there. Actually, even though it's not a WWII book per se, A Tale for the Time Being does delve into a little bit of WWII history from the Japanese perspective of a kamikazi pilot. It was heartbreaking & fascinating. Might make an interesting fictional sidebar to your studies.)

I finished Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen this week. Loved it just as much as, if not a little more than, The Peach Keeper. I started The Sugar Queen, but it isn't grabbing my attention like the other two did. I may set it aside and try something else. Not sure just yet.

I feel really good about my reading this year. Last year I dropped out before I really even got started, so I'm feeling very good about even sticking with it. According to Goodreads, I am at 40 of 52. Hmm... Not sure of the discrepancy between that list and mine here. I'll have to check that out.

ETA: the missing books (HOW could I have forgotten to add 1Q84?????)

The Round Up

40. 1Q84

39. The Long Winter

38. Warm Bodies

37. Garden Spells

36. The Peach Keeper

35. The Memory Keeper's Daughter

34. The First Four Years

33. These Happy Golden Years

32. Little Town on the Prairie

31. Amglish, in Like, Ten Easy Lessons: A Celebration of the New World Lingo

30. The Call of the Wild

29. By the Shores of Silver Lake

28. Pippi Longstocking

27. On the Banks of Plum Creek

26. Hiroshima

25. Farmer Boy

24. 1984

23. This Book is Full of Spiders

22. Little House on the Prairie

21. Evolutionism and Creationism

20. John Dies at the End

19. Much Ado About Nothing

18. Little House in the Big Woods

17. Hooked

16. Anne of the Island

15. Looking for Salvation at the Dairy Queen

14. Anne of Avonlea

13. Anne of Green Gables

12. The Invention of Hugo Cabret

11. The Swiss Family Robinson

10. Little Women

9. Why We Get Fat

8. The Djinn in the Nightingale's Eye

7. Outlander

6. The New Atkins for a New You

5. A Leaf on the Wind of All Hallows

4. Liberty and Tyranny

3. Corelli's Mandolin

2. The Neverending Story

1. The Hobbit

I love David McCullough's writing and thoroughly enjoyed The Greater Journey - are you liking it?

Yes, so far. It jumps around quite a bit but I'm liking it. I generally really like McCullough--nice, light history. So it's easy to read before bed without tempting me to stay up too late (as novels do).

I thoroughly enjoyed The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate this week. I am catching up on the Newberry Honor books. This book is what childern's literature is all about. Great story, age/developmentally appropriate themes, period accuracy and excellent writing. LOVE.

After finally learning that The Gift is a quartet, I read Gathering Blue this week ★★★★

I also finished Matched and give it 3.5 stars as sometimes I got saturated & had to stop reading. It wasn't bad & I liked it, but not as good as

Gathering Blue.

My most recent big finish was Flannery O'Connors The Habit of Being. I really, really loved it. And I really, really don't get her fiction still.

This intrigued me. What is it that you live about this if you don't get her fiction?

Anna Karenina -- This book has been sitting on my shelves for, literally, years. It's even the good Pevear/Volokhonsky translation. Methinks I am going to have to find a group read to join to get this one done; I just can't get motivated to do it on my own.

The same translation is sitting in my dusty books. I would love to join you in reading it but may have to put this off for a bit due to some travel plans. Anna Karenina is not my idea of an airplane book!

I would be willing to do a group read. I have the same translation.

This last week I finished the Psy-Changeling Series by Nalini Singh. I wasn't sure what to think going into this series but I enjoyed it. I loved Heart of Obsidian, so much that I may go back and read Blaze of Memory and Bonds of Justice. I originally skipped them because they didn't have changelings as the main characters.

How am I doing so far? I'm not sure how to answer that. I love the weekly thread, I enjoy reading about what books other people like, and I love finding new authors, but I've never had a problem reading. :D This is the first time I have kept track of what I'm reading since elementary school, I always just did it in my head. So with that in mind, I have finished 160 books, a little over 56,000 pages.

Week 25

Kiss of Snow by Nalini Singh.

Tangle of Need (Psy-Changeling) by Nalini Singh.

Heart of Obsidian (Psy-Changeling) by Nalini Singh.

After finally learning that The Gift is a quartet, I read Gathering Blue this week ★★★★

I also finished Matched and give it 3.5 stars as sometimes I got saturated & had to stop reading. It wasn't bad & I liked it, but not as good as

Gathering Blue.

This intrigued me. What is it that you live about this if you don't get her fiction?

The Habit of Being is her letters so it's not fiction. I have her Mystery and Manners as well which is a collection of talks and essays. I love those. I love her thoughts on faith, writing, regionalism, etc. But how that translates to her short stories? I'm still a bit stumped. But I'm determined to read (or, in some cases, re-read) her fiction through the summer. Perhaps now that I've read all her letters, some things will make more sense. I feel challenged by it, too. She is often complaining in her letters about how misunderstood her work is. I want to be one of the smart ones who gets it! But I'm not. At least not yet :)

This is me in so many ways. I used to keep a list of authors but that was abandoned and lost when the dc's arrived. I am really enjoying the list aspect of this. Even Goodreads is new to me. Dd and I have really enjoyed our lists there. :)

The ideas for books here have been great. Those combined with finally being brave enough to try e library books have expanded my choices hugely. Big stacks, lovely but they do mean I am not meeting my original 5/5/5 goals and probably won't unless I get busy on those. I would be willing to an Anna Karenina read along as long as I get to do it on my kindle. That does meet one of those original goals!

Anyway I have read over 100 books so far and have loved reading everyones reviews and ideas. So thank you Robin for doing this thread.

How am I doing so far? I'm not sure how to answer that. I love the weekly thread, I enjoy reading about what books other people like, and I love finding new authors, but I've never had a problem reading. :D This is the first time I have kept track of what I'm reading since elementary school, I always just did it in my head. So with that in mind, I have finished 160 books, a little over 56,000 pages.

Finally finished No Touch Monkey! by Ayun Halliday today. I've been trying to finish it for the better part of the month. It was funny, but I think I just got tired of it about halfway through and wanted to move on.

Next up, Beautiful Creatures.

Completed So Far

1. Best Friends by Samantha Glen

2. Wesley the Owl by Stacey O'Brien

3. The Gift of Pets: Stories Only a Vet Could Tell by Bruce Coston

4. Nim Chimpsky: The Chimp Who Would Be Human by Elizabeth Hess

5. Last Chance to See by Douglas Adams & Mark Carwardine

6. Confessions of a Prairie Bitch by Alison Arngrim

7. Beowulf by Seamus Heaney

8. The Odyssey by Homer (Fagles translation)

9. The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield

10. The Year of Learning Dangerously: Adventures in Homeschooling by Quinn Cummings

11. Neither Here Nor There by Bill Bryson

12. Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery

13. Tales of an African Vet by Dr. Roy Aronson

14. Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

15. The Romanovs: The Final Chapter by Robert K. Massie

16. Kisses From Katie by Katie Katie Davis

17. Iguanas for Dummies by Melissa Kaplan

18. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

19. Zoo by James Patterson

20. St. Lucy's School for Girls Raised by Wolves by Karen Russell

21. Russian Tortoises in Captivity by Jerry D. Fife

22. Leopard Geckos for Dummies by Liz Palika

23. The 8th Confession by James Patterson

24. Leopard Geckos: Caring for Your New Pet by Casey Watkins

25. The Ultimate Guide to Leopard Geckos by Phoenix Hayes Simmons

26. 9th Judgement by James Patterson

27. 10th Anniversary by James Patterson

28. 11th Hour by James Patterson

29. 12th of Never by James Patterson

30. Chasing Science at Sea: Racing Hurricanes, Stalking Sharks, and Living Undersea With Ocean Experts by Ellen J. Prager

31. Dolphin Mysteries: Unlocking the Secrets of Communication by Kathleen M. Dudzinski & Toni Frohoff

32. The Greeening by S. Brubaker

33. No Touch Monkey! by Ayun Halliday

I finished another Aurelio Zen mystery, Cabal, by author Michael Dibdin. There was a complexity to the story that I enjoyed.

My next fictional work is This is How You Lose Her, a book of short stories by Junot Diaz.

It appears that I have met one of my 5/5/5 challenges: Dusty Books. Yet many dusty books remain. With half of the year about over, I have revisited three Old Friends, read three books in the category of Sustainability and have only read one Dorothy Dunnett novel. I am not keeping track on the Continental Challenge since I think the point there is less about number and more about the inspiration of new authors and places.

I guess I need to get cracking on Dunnett.

Ugh, I don't like it when you remind me that the year is HALF over! I'm in denial.

I'm reading a chunkster, The Woman in White, so I'll be with it for awhile. I like W. Collins. I loved this quote, "Some people run through life. Some people saunter through life. Mrs. Vesey sat through life." :smilielol5:

I thoroughly enjoyed The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate this week. I am catching up on the Newberry Honor books. This book is what childern's literature is all about. Great story, age/developmentally appropriate themes, period accuracy and excellent writing. LOVE.

Good to hear. I'll be reading that book with my kids next month as part of our evolution unit.

Have also started Aspects of the Novel by E.M. Forster for my book club.

It is evidently a transcription of a series of lectures Forster gave at Trinity College in 1927. Forster says the lectures came about because of a fellow/author at Trinity who,

Out of a bequest in his will, his old college has provided for a series of lectures, to be delivered annually "on some period or periods of English Literature not earlier than Chaucer," and that is why we meet here now.

Forster does go on to say,

Books have to be read (worse luck, for it takes a long time); is is the only way of discovering what they contain. A few savage tribes eat them, but reading is the only method of assimilation revealed to the west.

:lol:

As for the rest of the book,

And the aspects selected for discussion are seven in number: The Story; People; The Plot; Fantasy; Prophecy; Pattern and Rhythm.

I hadn't necessarily felt too keen about reading this, but the intro has been interesting & fun, so I'm looking forward to the remaining 'lectures'.

I read and enjoyed A Hero to Come Home To (A Tallgrass Novel) by Marilyn Pappano. (I see the book is being released tomorrow; I actually had found an advanced reader's copy.)

"Two years after losing her husband in Afghanistan, Carly Lowry has rebuilt her life in Tallgrass, Oklahoma. She has a job she loves teaching third grade and the best friends in the world: fellow military wives who understand what it means to love a man in uniform. She's comfortable and content...until she meets a ruggedly handsome stranger who rekindles desires Carly isn't quite sure she's ready to feel.

Staff Sergeant Dane Clark wanted to have a loving family, a twenty-year Army stint, and then a low-key civilian career. But the paratrooper's plans were derailed by a mission gone wrong. Struggling to adjust to his new life, he finds comfort in the wide open spaces of Tallgrass--and in the unexpected attention of sweet, lovely Carly. She is the one person who makes him believe life is worth living. But when Carly discovers he's been hiding the real reason he's come to Tallgrass, will Dane be able to convince her he is the hero she needs?"

Regards,

Kareni

Ugh, I don't like it when you remind me that the year is HALF over! I'm in denial.

I'm reading a chunkster, The Woman in White, so I'll be with it for awhile. I like W. Collins. I loved this quote, "Some people run through life. Some people saunter through life. Mrs. Vesey sat through life." :smilielol5:

Woman in White was my favorite book of 2011 (or was it 2010 ... time flies!) I'll be interesting in hearing if you loved it or not.

Finished two books while on vacation last week. The Silver Star by Jeanette Walls and A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson. We listened to the audio of Bryson while driving through north Georgia and right when we got to the part where he said he never saw a bear during his hikes on the AT, a big black bear ran across the road in front of our car. :ohmy:

Finished reading Hold Fast by Blue Balliet, one of my favorite authors of juvenile fiction. Like all her books, it was intelligent, intriguing, modern, and sensitive, but this one was especially heart tugging.

I'm currently reading Bel Canto by Anne Patchett. The story is incredible with detail, moving from person to person like a butterfly moves from flower to flower. The style is reminiscent of award winning authors from the last century, pure story telling without resorting to shock tactics or exaggeration.

Started Reading:

Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter (American author, DD class 800)

Still Reading:

The Sherlockian by Graham Moore (American author, DD class 800)

The Conviction to Lead: 25 Principles for Leadership that Matters by Albert Mohler (American author, DD class 300)

The God Who is There: Finding Your Place in God's Story by D.A. Carson (Canadian author, DD class 200)

Finished:

28. Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl (American authors, DD class 800)

27. A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson (American author, DD class 900)

26. The Last Camellia by Sarah Jio (American author, DD class 800)

25. Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese (Ethiopian author, DD class 800)

24. Having Hard Conversations by Jennifer Abrams (American author, DD class 300)

23.The End of Your Life Book Club by Will Schwalbe (American author, DD class 600)

22. The Infernal Devices #3: The Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare (American author, DD class 800)

21. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (American author, DD class 800)

20. Why Revival Tarries by Leonard Ravenhill (British author, DD class 200)

19. The Infernal Devices #2: Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare (American author, DD class 800)

18. The Infernal Devices: Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare (American author, DD class 800)

17. God's Big Picture: Tracing the Story-Line of the Bible by Vaughan Roberts (British author, DD class 200)

16.The Weed that Strings the Hangman's Bag: A Flavia de Luce Mystery by Alan Bradley (Canadian Author, DD Class 800)

15.The Geography of Bliss: One Grump's Search for the Happiest Places in the World by Eric Weiner (American author, DD class 900)

14. Prodigy by Marie Lu (Chinese author, DD class 800)

13. Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand (American author, DD class 900)

12. The Disappearing Spoon: And Other Tales of Madness, Love, and the History of the World from the Periodic Table of the Elements by Sam Kean (American author, DD class 500)

11. The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down: A Hmong Child, Her American Doctors, and the Collision of Two Cultures by Anne Fadiman (American Author, DD class 600)

10. A Praying Life: Connecting with God in a Distracting World by Paul Miller (American author, DD class 200)

9. Nothing to Envy: Ordinary Lives in North Korea by Barbara Demick (American author, DD class 300)

8. Ordering Your Private World by Gordon MacDonald (American author, DD class 100)

7. The Bungalow by Sarah Jio (American author, DD class 800)

6. The Sugar Queen by Sarah Addison Allen (American author, DD class 800)

5. Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen (American author, DD class 800)

4. The Next Story: Life and Faith After the Digital Explosion by Tim Challies (Canadian author, DD class 600)

3. The House at Riverton by Kate Morton (Australian author, DD class 800)

2. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (English author, DD class 800)

1. The Dark Monk: A Hangman's Daughter Tale by Oliver Potzsch (German author, DD class 800)

We listened to the audio of Bryson while driving through north Georgia and right when we got to the part where he said he never saw a bear during his hikes on the AT, a big black bear ran across the road in front of our car. :ohmy:

Wow. Cool!

I'm currently reading Bel Canto by Anne Patchett. The story is incredible with detail, moving from person to person like a butterfly moves from flower to flower. The style is reminiscent of award winning authors from the last century, pure story telling without resorting to shock tactics or exaggeration.

Oh, I love that book!

The Sherlockian by Graham Moore (American author, DD class 800)

What do you think about this one?

...I like where each of these challenges have taken me, and the ways they have made me more aware of my reading patterns and given me justifications for choosing one thing over another in my teetering stacks of books I want to read!

I am so glad that I finally stopped lurking & joined in, you guys are wonderful - and I love it that despite the craziness that life has been these past few months, I am still tracking my reading! Thank you for coordinating this, Robin.

:hurray:

As to Robin's question about where we are/how are we feeling about our reading....

I feel like I'm doing ok, numbers-wise. For awhile, I felt like most things I was reading were so-so & was feeling a bit let-down after last year (when I read quite a few fabulous books). But, I've found a few books lately that I've really enjoyed &/or loved, so now I'm feeling a little better about my reading. At this point, I don't know how much I'll keep up with the challenges or not because I tend to find books I love more when I tend to follow my whims, rather than when trying to stick w/ specific lists or goals. I mean, general outlines like 'continental' challenge fit me well because it's so broad (& I tend to like to read international authors anyway), so I have a lot of leeway to find great books. But, the Dewey Decimal one is harder for me because I tend to lean to fiction more than non-fiction, so it's hard for me to find/like a non-fiction book if I'm not really in the mood for non-fiction. Kwim?

Plus, the first half of 2013 has been very hard for me, mentally, physically, & emotionally, & I know that has driven (or not) some of my reading choices & whether or not I liked the books I was reading. Sometimes I've just had a hard time concentrating or even finding time to really sit down & get into a book. Other times, I have had time to read, but didn't really like the book all that much. I feel like I've read quite a few 'meh' books this year, in addition to dropping quite a few partway through. In that way, I feel like it's been a weird reading year for me. I feel tired of reading 'meh' books. I want to read only books that I love <insert me stomping my feet like a toddler>.

As for the challenges, I feel like I keep falling off & on the tracks, again & again. :lol: I'm probably in ok shape on the continental challenge (have already done North Am.; South Am.; Europe; Asia; still need to do Africa; but already have some books on request at the library; Australia -- Rosie, any suggestions for me of Australian authors writing stories set in Australia? -- and Antarctica; I would like to beef up my Europe area more too). The Dusty &/or Chunky challenge is so-so; I've cleared a few books off my shelves, but I think I've read only one chunkster (1Q84). Still have quite a way to go in the Dewey Decimal challenge; I've done the 000s, 300s, 600s, and 900s. Assuming I'll finish the Forster book I'm reading, that will be my 800s entry & I have a 500 book sitting here that hopefully I'll start, like, & manage to finish. LOL.

As many others have said, I'll chime in too: Thank You, Robin. I love this thread, seeing & hearing about everything that you all read. You know it's my main reason for coming to these boards in the first place. :)

I've finished The Messenger, the third book in The Giver quartet. I'm quite irked because I'm clicking to follow threads, but none of the newer ones are showing up where they are supposed to; I can't remember every thread I reply to!

The Habit of Being is her letters so it's not fiction. I have her Mystery and Manners as well which is a collection of talks and essays. I love those. I love her thoughts on faith, writing, regionalism, etc. But how that translates to her short stories? I'm still a bit stumped. But I'm determined to read (or, in some cases, re-read) her fiction through the summer. Perhaps now that I've read all her letters, some things will make more sense. I feel challenged by it, too. She is often complaining in her letters about how misunderstood her work is. I want to be one of the smart ones who gets it! But I'm not. At least not yet :)

Okay, I understand now :).

Isn't it fabulous?

Completed:

Book #44 - "The Gifts of Imperfection" by Brene Brown. Loving her books. I'm now re-reading "Daring Greatly" (but I won't count it again) and DH is listening to the audio version, so we will be able to discuss it.

Book #43 - "I Thought It Was Just Me (But It Isn't)" by Brene Brown.

Book #42 - "Be Still: Using Principles of the Gospel to Lower Anxiety" by G. Sheldon Martin.

Book #41 - "Daring Greatly" - by Brene Brown.

Book #40 - "The New Testament" - Authorized King James Version (1611). (Inspiration)

Book #39 - "Teachings of Presidents of the Church - Lorenzo Snow"

Book #38 - "The Red Badge of Courage" by Stephen Crane. (WEM)

Book #37 - "Recovering Charles" by Jason F. Wright.

Book #36 - "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" by Mark Twain. (WEM)

Book #35 - "Maphead" by Ken Jennings.

Book #34 - "Portrait of a Lady" by Henry James. (WEM)

Book #33 - "Earthly Deligihts" by Kerry Greenwood. (Australian author, Australian setting.)

Book #32 - "The Year of Learning Dangerously" by Quinn Cummings.

Book #31 - "The Uncommon Appeal of Clouds" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, Scottish setting.)

Book #30 - "The Forgotten Affairs of Youth" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, Scottish setting.)

Book #29 - "The Charming Quirks of Others" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, Scottish setting.)

Book #28 - "I am Half-Sice of Shadows" by Alan Bradley. (Canadian author, English setting.)

Book #27 - ""Brainiac: Adventures in the Curious, Competitive, Compulsive World of Trivia Buffs" by Ken Jennings.

Book #26 - "Because I Said So!: The Truth Behind the Myths, Tales & Warnings Every Generation Passes Down to Its Kids" by Ken Jennings.

Book #25 - "A Red Herring Without Mustard" by Alan Bradley. (Canadian author, English setting.)

Book #24 - "The Case of the Man Who Died Laughing" by Tarquin Hall. (British author, Indian setting.)

Book #23 - "The Lost Art of Gratitude" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, Scottish setting.)

Book #22 - "The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag" by Alan Bradley. (Canadian author, English setting.)

Book #21 - "Academic Homeschooling: How to Give Your Child an Amazing Education and Survive" by Tracy Chatters.

Book #20 - "The Comforts of a Muddy Saturday" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, Scottish setting.)

Book #19 - "The Return of the Native" by Thomas Hardy. (WEM.)

Book #18 - "The Careful Use of Compliments" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, Scottish setting.)

Book #17 - "The Right Attitude to Rain" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, Scottish setting.)

Book #16 - "Inspector Singh Investigates: A Most Peculiar Malaysian Murder" by Shamini Flint. (Singaporean author, Malaysian setting.)

Book #15 - "Friends, Lovers, Chocolate" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, Scottish setting.)

Book #14 - "Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie" by Alan Bradley. (Canadian author, English setting.)

Book #13 - "Portuguese Irregular Verbs" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/]Scottish author, German character, German/Swiss/Italian/Ireland/Indian settings.)

Book #12 - "In Cold Pursuit" by Sarah Andrews. (Antarctica setting.)

Book #11 - "Anna Karenina" by Leo Nikoleyevich Tolstoy. (Russian; or WEM challenge.)

Book #10 - "The Sunday Philosophy Club" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, Scottish setting.)

Book #9 - "The Limpopo Academy of Private Detection" by Alexander McCall Smith. (]Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, African setting)

Book #8 - "The Saturday Big Tent Wedding Party" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, African setting)

Book #7 - "The Double Comfort Safari Club" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, African setting)

Book #6 - " Tea Time for the Traditionally Built" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, African setting)

Book #5 - "Crime and Punishment" by Fydor Dostoevsky. (Russian; or WEM challenge.)

Book #4 - "The Miracle of Speedy Motors" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, African setting)

Book #3 - "The Good Husband of Zebra Drive" by Alexander McCall Smith. (]Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, African setting)

Book #2 - "Blue Shoes and Happiness" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, African setting)

Book #1 - "In the Company of Cheerful Ladies" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, African setting)

I finished How to Teach Shakespeare to Your Children by Ken Ludwig. I loved it! Easy to read, informative, and helpful as a quick survey of a number of plays, it made for a good introduction. The appendices are full of good stuff. I found out about the book here at the boards, and shock of shocks, my library had it on order. It was a 14 day book, so I had to jump in the middle of Brat Farrar, but I'll pick that back up now.

Book Reviews

1. The White Horse King: The Life of Alfred the Great by Benjamin Merkle

2. Publish and Perish by Sally S Wright

3. Pride and Predator by Sally S Wright

4. Pursuit and Persuasion by Sally S Wright

5. Out of the Ruins by Sally S Wright

6. The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

7. Watches of the Night by Sally S Wright

8. Code of Silence by Sally S Wright

9. Pinocchio by Carlo Collodi

10. The Secret Thoughts of an Unlikely Convert by Rosaria Butterfield (excellent)

11. Unnatural Death by Dorothy Sayers

12. Emil and the Detectives by Erich Kästner

13.The Unpleasantness at the Bellona Club by Dorothy Sayers

14. The Devil on Lammas Night by Susan Howatch

15. The Pemberley Chronicles by Rebecca Ann Collins

16. The Little Way of Ruthie Leming by Rod Dreher (very very good)

17. The Exact Place: a memoir by Margie L Haack

18. Lord Peter Views The Body by Dorothy L Sayers

19. Strong Poison by Dorothy L. Sayers

20. Jane and Prudence by Barbara Pym

21. Men of Iron by Howard Pyle (audio book)

22. Runaway Ralph by Beverly Cleary (audio book)

23. No Fond Return of Love by Barbara Pym

24. How to Teach Your Children Shakespeare by Ken Ludwig

And, now, I can answer Robin's questions. "How are you doing so far? Right where you wanted to be, behind or ahead of your goal?"

I'm about two weeks behind in my reading when it comes to a book a week and pretty happy with that! My biggest goal this year was no counting re-reads (particularly things like Austen or Eddings or books I have practically memorized because I've read them so many times) and I've stuck with it which means I've read a lot of great things I might not have otherwise. I've read a lot more fiction - particularly murder mysteries - than I would have expected. I've read a couple of excellent memoirs. Now, I've read a good book on education. I'm a good part of the way through a book on art history - that one's a bit of a shock. It's been a good first half. Now to stick out the second half!

Thanks Robin and everyone for your encouragement! I don't always comment on the books everyone else is reading, but I follow this thread closely :)

Hey gals! It's been a bit since I've checked in.

I can't remember where I was the last time I posted but, I'm still plugging away at my Robert Jordan challenge. I'm 200 pages away from finishing book 7, "A Crown of Swords."

Am I where I want to be in my goals this year? Hmm, well, I am two books behind. I know that when school begins there will be little time for reading, especially Robert Jordan's chunkster's. I need to catch up those two books before the end of August ;)

Here's what I've finished in the past couple of weeks:

#32 The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie (audiobook) - She had me guessing right up to the end with this one - quite a shocking twist!

#33 The King's Speech by Mark Logue and Peter Conradi (audiobook) - It was interesting to learn more about Lionel Logue and how he helped King George VI overcome his speech difficulties. The audio version includes an actual recording of one of the king's speeches.

#34 The Dressmaker of Khair Khana by Gayle Tzemach Lemmon - This book really helps you to see what it was like for women during the Taliban takeover in Afganistan, and the story of how one woman overcame the difficulties in order to provide for her family and help others was uplifting.

#35 How to Teach Your Children Shakespeare by Ken Ludwig - I learned so much about Shakespeare's plays and am inspired to start memorizing the suggested passages with my kids. :)

#36 Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH by Robert C. O'Brien - This was a read-aloud with my oldest ds. He loved the movie and wanted to read the book, which I think he really enjoyed as well.

I read Stevenson's The Master of Ballantrae, John Prebble's The Highland Clearances, and am part way through a very disturbing book dh gave me called The Wasp Factory. So there is my Scottish trifecta. Plus some Stephen Spender poems from a collection, and most of a collection of essays by Aldous Huxley. I did much of this on the ten-hour plane flight. Now I am so jetlagged that I can barely type. And the temperatures are 100+ instead of barely 60, and I don't even want to acclimate. Maybe I'll say something about these books when I can tell night from day again.

Paisley Hedgehog, Jane in NC, melmichigan - I'm in for Anna Karenina. It's been a long time since I read it, and it wasn't a particularly good translation. Great Girl was assigned it last semester and I think it was the Pevear, so I will steal her copy. I'm happy to wait until it's a good time for everyone.

I finished Bel Canto. I knew it had to end and suspected how it would end, but the suddenness and efficiency of the conclusion just stunned me. I had no time to feel anything.

Next up is The Bookman's Tale: A Novel of Obsession. This is my "choose a book by its cover" book. The cover really isn't anything spectacular, but the title grabbed me as I was walking through Barnes and Noble. I went home and checked to see if our rinky dink library had it. Miracle of miracles, it did! Now to see if it will live up to my expectations.

am part way through a very disturbing book dh gave me called The Wasp Factory

I have seen that one mentioned on GoodReads a couple of times & wondered about it.... Probably not something I want to try.

I finished Bel Canto. I knew it had to end and suspected how it would end, but the suddenness and efficiency of the conclusion just stunned me. I had no time to feel anything.

Next up is The Bookman's Tale: A Novel of Obsession. This is my "choose a book by its cover" book. The cover really isn't anything spectacular, but the title grabbed me as I was walking through Barnes and Noble. I went home and checked to see if our rinky dink library had it. Miracle of miracles, it did! Now to see if it will live up to my expectations.

Me too, when Bel Canto ended. A friend said that the beginning of the book tells you how it will end, but I didn't remember that & have never gone back to look it up.

Oh, The Bookman's Tale sounds like a neat title. Let us know!