Menu

How to Teach Your Children Shakespeare (book)

I just read about this book by Ken Ludwig, which recommends 25 passages for kids to learn from Shakespeare, and his technique for doing so. Thought this might be of interest.

Here are two descriptions of his method and the book.

It begins with the memorization of short passages from Shakespeare's plays. It then continues with an exploration of Shakespeare’s life and time period, the implications of Shakespeare’s choice of words, and an exposure to cultural references that children will use for years to come. Ludwig delves into each play with an eye to revealing the invaluable lessons behind Shakespeare’s characters and stories. Colorfully incorporating the history of Shakespearean theater and society, How to Teach Your Children Shakespeare guides readers on an informed and adventurous journey through the world in which Shakespeare wrote.

http://www.backstage.com/news/spotlight/how-shakespeare-can-make-your-child-better-actor/

http://www.kenludwig.com/books/how_to_teach_kids_shakespeare.php

ooooh, you are my friend! :) I have been looking for a sensible guide to Shakespeare memorization!!!

I'm off to follow your links. You may turn out not to be a friend to my pocketbook ;) ....

ETA: It's official. You are the enemy of my pocketbook!!!!!! OTOH, what's it for anyhow?

Thank you for finding & posting this, Stripe. Even if you generated some negative cashflow.

I am SO getting this! I am a new Christian, DH is mostly agnostic and he doesn't want any Bible learning during school time. He wants that to stay at church. So this will be fab for memory work for the kids and me! I didn't appreciate The Bard so much in high school, but to my old 43yr old brain he's a delight!

Wait -- it isn't out yet? Or is it just not at Amazon yet? I want instant gratification!

Edited to add: And already a hold on it at the library. Hmmm, is that you SusanC? :boxing_smiley:

No, it's coming out in June.

Here are links

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0307951499/

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/how-to-teach-your-children-shakespeare-ken-ludwig/1113507776?ean=9780307951496

Someone beat me to it at my library, too!

This looks wonderful!

Is there any indication what ages it would be for?

In the article on Backstage.com, he says

I’ve felt strongly about Shakespeare since I first entered the theater, but it wasn’t until I became a father that I figured out how to put my convictions into practice.

When each of my children entered first grade, we sat down together and started memorizing lines from Shakespeare, starting with short accessible passages from the comedies and gradually increasing the length and complexity of the pieces.

What I have tried to do in “How to Teach Your Children Shakespeare†is offer parents and educators the techniques and strategies I developed over the years for my own children. I realized early in this process that Shakespeare is a lot like a foreign language. Many of the words are unfamiliar, even to adults; Shakespeare’s sentence structure sounds odd to our modern ears; and Shakespeare is constantly speaking in complex metaphors that can be difficult to understand.

So what I did for my kids—and what you can do for yours—was teach them how to decipher every difficult word in the passage being studied, and then memorize that passage so their knowledge of Shakespeare became second nature. The goal was fluency in the way a foreign language can become fluent.

In total, the book presents the first 25 passages I taught my kids, ordered in a specific sequence to make learning them as easy as possible. As each passage is discussed, from “A Midsummer Night’s Dream†to “Hamlet†(with many more plays in between), I talk about the stories, the characters, and the meanings of the works, so ultimately the kids get the kind of knowledge of Shakespeare they’ll need to become great students, great thinkers, great teachers, and yes, great actors.

I just put in my order too!

This is timely. I usually am able to resist buying the new shiny toys books, but this is too timely! We're going to study Shakespeare in the fall, and I didn't know how to approach it. My Shakespeare education did not get past Romeo and Juliet.

Here are some more shiny things we've used and recommend.

One very cheap. It's a currclick download which gives a beakdown of number of lines per character per play for shared read-a-louds if you can get together with a couple of other families....

Sharing Shakespeare With Students... http://www.currclick.com/product/34044/Sharing-Shakespeare-with-Students?it=1 (currently only $3.10)

The other is an expensive investment, the boxed set of the complete BBC Shakespeare plays...

http://www.amazon.com/The-BBC-TV-Shakespeare-Collection/dp/B0010EBGJO

You can watch them with subtitles on too. These are great to watch before the read throughs.

You can borrow some of these from libraries, but we could only find a few.

My dd loves the bard and has learnt a couple of sections.

I just had to come back to my thread and share the awesomeness of our pubic librarians.

I go to church with one of our local librarians (Beth) and am friends with her on Facebook as well. Anyway, I posted yesterday that my 9 year old and I were studying Much Ado About Nothing this month for our Shakespeare study.

This morning we went to the library to pick up some books and sign up for the summer reading program and Beth was working. She stops me and says that she has something for me in her car.

She brings back an uncorrected proof copy of How to Teach Your Children Shakespeare!!!!! She said that the publisher was handing them out at a library conference they just attended. If any of you have any specific questions about the book I can answer them! I'm so excited! :party:

I just had to come back to my thread and share the awesomeness of our pubic librarians.

I go to church with one of our local librarians (Beth) and am friends with her on Facebook as well. Anyway, I posted yesterday that my 9 year old and I were studying Much Ado About Nothing this month for our Shakespeare study.

This morning we went to the library to pick up some books and sign up for the summer reading program and Beth was working. She stops me and says that she has something for me in her car.

She brings back an uncorrected proof copy of How to Teach Your Children Shakespeare!!!!! She said that the publisher was handing them out at a library conference they just attended. If any of you have any specific questions about the book I can answer them! I'm so excited! :party:

:hurray: Good for you!

(And a big BOO HISS to my sister for retiring from library services -- she used to snag stuff like that for us.)

By the way, it looks as though you could get free access to the Digital Theatre version of Much Ado if you sign up for the free 2 week trial of their Fine Arts program that's on Homeschool Buyer's Co-op -- see this thread: http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/472117-update-for-those-interested-in-digital-theatre-plus/page__hl__+digital?do=findComment&comment=4987111

:hurray: Good for you!

(And a big BOO HISS to my sister for retiring from library services -- she used to snag stuff like that for us.)

By the way, it looks as though you could get free access to the Digital Theatre version of Much Ado if you sign up for the free 2 week trial of their Fine Arts program that's on Homeschool Buyer's Co-op -- see this thread: http://forums.welltr...al#entry4987111

Thanks for the link! I've been looking for a version of Much Ado About Nothing that we can watch. This one looks fun since it's a modern retelling.

Thanks for the link! I've been looking for a version of Much Ado About Nothing that we can watch. This one looks fun since it's a modern retelling.

Well, phooey, you only get the first 5 minutes when you sign up for the free trial. That's disappointing.

It really IS a fun version, although the bawdiness of it is more apparent since it's updated. We purchased the download last year directly from Digital Theater, and my kids have watched it several times.

Well, phooey, you only get the first 5 minutes when you sign up for the free trial. That's disappointing.

It really IS a fun version, although the bawdiness of it is more apparent since it's updated. We purchased the download last year directly from Digital Theater, and my kids have watched it several times.

Thanks for letting me know. I hadn't signed up for the free trial yet so that saves me some time and effort!

I've got the Branagh version coming from the library. I'm going to preview it and see if it's suitable for 9 year old eyes. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I got my copy from Amazon on Monday.

My kids are in As You Like It this summer, so I skipped ahead to that part. I really, really like how he broke down Jaques speech, explaining each part, giving tips about how it's performed. After I read through it I thought it would certainly be easier for *me* to memorize now! I told the director that whoever plays that role might want to read through those pages in the book.

Overall, he really does have infectious enthusiasm for his subject.

I need to look at the entire book now to figure out how we might use it. We were at a performance of Twelfth NIght tonight, and I could sometimes hear older dd murmuring Viola's lines along with the actress -- it struck me that my kids already know some good chunks of Shakespeare. I really like having all of these selections laid out as choices for future work.

Thanks for letting me know. I hadn't signed up for the free trial yet so that saves me some time and effort!

I've got the Branagh version coming from the library. I'm going to preview it and see if it's suitable for 9 year old eyes. ;)

In the first act there is a scene where everyone is getting washed up from the road, lots of naked backsides. Also the scene with Borachio and Margaret deceiving Claudio and the prince is a good one to fast forward through. Other than that is is a pure delight.

Got it from the library and I'm halfway through. Definitely going on my Amazon wish list. In the meantime, I'm taking notes. :)

DD already enjoyes Shakespeare stories and knows plots and characters of many plays. I think this will be a good fit for our homeschool.

I have it as a Kindle book and I'm enjoying it. I think he says his website has downloadable files where you can print in nice big font various lines. He talks about how that bigger text is helpful in memorizing.

I'm about 1/3 of the way through and I'm finding it very readable and enjoyable. I'm excited to implement some of it with my kids.

We did Comedy of Errors as a shared read through using Sharing Shakespeare With Students and I've just found this at the Playhouse and booked this for dd and myself up in the stalls.

Guess what we're doing tomorrow night.

Hoo Woo!

Better go, battery nearly flat.

Thanks for keeping the Bard prominant OP.