Menu

Anyone have a dh that works as a PILOT??

My ds is in high school and is seriously thinking of becoming a pilot. He does not want to go the military route. Can I ask a few questions for him?

1. What path did your dh take to become a pilot?

2. Does he think that was a good route to take or would he recommend another way?

3. What are the advantages and disadvantages to this career?

4. What advice would he give to a young aspiring pilot? Would he recommend going into this field or avoiding it?

I am so excited that my ds is finally showing a real and growing interest in something! He has been researching online about various options but he wanted to get an "in the trenches" perspective.

Thanks!!!!

Malaysian Airlines and Singapore Airlines has stop their pilot cadet program. I found this pilot cadet program for Virgin Australia which says that the high school applicant should be good in advanced math, english and science (physics).

http://www.virginaustralia.com/us/en/about-us/careers/pilot-cadetship/

My friends and relatives are all miltrary pilots or fighter plane technicians so its a different world.

This show is about the exhausted, overworked pilot

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/flyingcheap/view/

I don't think this is a good career field. It is very low paid (hunt for the Washington Post article about the lifestyle of regional airline pilots that they did after the Buffalo air crash a few years ago. The pilots rent houses as flop houses because flopping is basically all they can afford).

Has he considered being a pilot for the Trooper Pilot for the state police? I have a friend who was a Trooper Pilot for the state police. All his training was paid for by the state and he learned both helicopter and fixed wing licenses. He became a trooper at 21 (no college degree) and spent a few years on the road before being accepted into the program. He has recently retired from the state police (at 55) and now flies med-vac flights for hospitals in and around Richmond. He has always loved his job.

Is there a local Venture (or is it Explorer now?) Boy Scout Troop nearby? My kid sister got her private pilot license via the Boy Scouts (girls can join the Venture/Explorer troops) - of course, she ended up marrying her flight instructor.... he flew for small commuter groups and took tourists on small planes all over - he was trying to get hired by a big airline when a heart condition grounded him on permanent disability.

If he does not yet have his small plane license, that is a good place to start!

1.Well, since no one here is an actual pilot, how about a view from an real live commercial pilot! My DH is just that. I have been with him since high school, so I know a great deal about it all. He went to Embry-Riddle in Daytona Beach. He did most of his training at a local FBO (it was cheaper). Sfter graduation, we moved back to Atlanta and he got a job as a flight instructor to build hours. After that he took a job at ATP, again to build hours (not the best job but he got the hours). He then got a corporate pilot job. It was a great job. He became head of the training dept. We were finally making good money. Then 9-11 happened and no one was flying. The company went bankrupt and he lost his job. Thankfully, he had already interviewed at ASA (commercial airline). We had to wait several months for a training class, but he has worked there for 10+ years and is know a captain. He is now looking at majors.

2. If he had something to do differently, he said he would have gone to a local college and trained at a local FBO. Embry-Riddle is a very expensive college.

3. Advantages~it's not an office job! travel, pay, benefits, job security

Disadvantages~away from family about half the month, miss kids activities, etc, no set schedule, long hours

4.Advice~Work for an airline with a union. Do not take a job at a low pay airline, there are plenty who will pay you well. The first year pay is not great, but hopefully, you will be young and unattached and the pay will be enough.

He does recommend this career. There is about to be a hiring boom. Now is a good time to become a pilot. Things are looking good for the future.

Flying is a passion. Many people with this passion would not be happy doing anything else.

My dd started workin gon her pilot's license when she was 17. She loves flying, but decided against becoming a pilot, because she wanted to do it for fun, not for a living. Anyway, she's majoring in aeronautical engineering. With that degree you can become a pilot or go the engineering route.

Getting your first level of pilot's license unfortunately costs about $5000 to do it yourself. For the next levels its possible to get scholarships.

My dh is a commercial airline pilot. He began flying in the family crop spraying business. He put himself through private Christian college working for his dad this way. His family stressed safety and really watched out for each other. We thought about the military, but no one could promise absolutely that he would fly. He could have been stuck in some other type of job. Too risky for us. After we had been married ten years or so, farming changed in that part of Texas. With those changes, we saw the family business could not support everyone. Dh decided to go for the airlines. He got a multi-wing, instrument, and jet rating on his own (meaning we paid for it.) He networked like crazy and got an interview with a small national outfit. Mostly that company hauled freight and some tourist jaunts to the Caribbean flying 727s. (Okay this is driving me crazy. I can't seem to insert a paragraph break.) He has been with some form of that company practically ever since. He is currently director of operations overseeing crews for 727s, 757, and just this year 737s. Aviation is an unstable business. We like to joke it has lots of ups and downs. After 9/11, he was unemployed for 15 long months. Just two years ago, he had a few months without work while the company reorganized. If you don't make it to the majors (Southwest, American, United, Delta, etc.) you won't make BIG bucks. I sort of think the days of huge bucks for pilots are over, but it is a good income job. I wish I had been more steadily employed to keep us afloat better. One thing we did love when he was flying a bunch...he would fly for several days then be home for several days. Loved that. The boys and I often traveled to where he was and enjoyed the benefits of travel. I wish he had made it to the majors for the flight privileges alone. But we did live in Europe for a couple of years while his company flew freight over there. He has always worked for small national outfits--no unions. The other thing....impress NOW upon your son what it means to be a faithful husband and father. Lots of travel means lots of opportunities to be unfaithful. One of my dearest friends is going through a painful divorce from her pilot husband. He is deeply addicted to a 20 something flight attendant. I NEVER had to worry about my husband, but we watched out for each other a great deal, too. I know quite a few faithful, loving, supportive husbands who also fly, so it can be done. I can't imagine my husband doing anything but being in the aviation industry. Good luck to your son! I've heard there may be a pilot shortage coming up because so many are retiring....however the military has a number of pilots coming off service, so it's a toss up.

My husband has been a pilot for 19 years, but it's been with the military. He got a ROTC scholarship at Carnegie Mellon, and went from there. He has an amazing education and is an amazing pilot, but if he were doing it on his own, it would have been insanely expensive. Becoming a pilot is expensive. And as others said, the starting salaries are low for civilian pilots, but that's how they build up hours. Over time and much experience, the salaries can go up to $200-$300K. Getting the training is really expensive though - all the flight hours and licenses, etc. Pricey!

Fwiw, dh is finishing his 20 years with the military soon and then moving onto his next career, and most likely won't choose to be a pilot anymore (though probably stay in the field). 1. He doesn't want to be gone half the month, and 2. He feels after 20 years of flying (and he has flown pretty much everything), he's ready for a new challenge.

Good luck to your son!

1. What path did your dh take to become a pilot?

2. Does he think that was a good route to take or would he recommend another way?

3. What are the advantages and disadvantages to this career?

4. What advice would he give to a young aspiring pilot? Would he recommend going into this field or avoiding it?

1. Not my DH, he ended up in Air Traffic Control after getting initial training, but several of our friends when we were in college were pilot track.

2. Getting certified is $$$ because you have to pay for hours in a plane with an instructor.

3. Advantages- you get to fly and live in cool places, sometimes literally. One of our friends did his time as a pilot in Alaska where he had to pull his legs up to keep from scraping the trees on takeoff. ;) When he got moved up to a "puddle jumper" he was stationed in Belgium for awhile if I recall correctly.

Disadvantages- you don't get to fly the big planes for a LONG time. In the meantime you are at the mercy of all the smaller operators who know you spent a fortune getting your certification and need more hours in the cockpit before you can even apply for a better job. You go where the jobs are, your job frequently gets merged, downsized or eliminated. You may have to go on strike.

You also have to pass regular physicals. Heart conditions, even kidney stones can de-certify you to fly.

4. Again, not a pilot, but would probably recommend against it.Hard to settle down when your airline changes bases, etc. Our friend who stayed with it is finally captain, but is over 40 and having his first children this year- twins!

I do agree with the pp who said it is a passion. If it is something the person really loves, they can make it work. But as with all jobs, there are trade offs.

My cousin flies a private plane for the CEO of a company. He is at his beck and call, and flies him regularly to meetings across the country as well as to various vacation spots. The pay is ok.

My aunt and uncle paid for his flying lessons. My cousin's wife comes from money, and I believe his current job comes from connections her family has.

Wanted to mention a conversation with Navy girl today. She was sitting across from me at the kitchen table and her neck kept popping. I commented on it and she told me that most helo pilots are on some disability by retirement! Ack! Didn't realize that. She said it was from the actual flying--the vibration. Thought I'd mention it...

My dh is a civilian rotor pilot who spent approx the last.12 years flying in the Gulf of Mexico to the platforms. He works for one of the "big oil" companies. Unfortunately, what your daughter said is exactly our case. 45 years old and currently out on occupational disability. We are in limbo what the future will hold but so thankful he has the disability income for now.

He did the teaching and ag flying to log hours before going ot the Gulf. He also worked a few years for med evac. We were married young and worked hard for him to do his dream.The training was expensive but not nearly expensive as it is now. The drawback is that it is occupation specific that it doesn't crossover to another field. He recommends getting your degree even if you plan on doing flight school. He has a BS in Science, but again, he never used it since he then went right into the aviation school and industry.

Wanted to mention a conversation with Navy girl today. She was sitting across from me at the kitchen table and her neck kept popping. I commented on it and she told me that most helo pilots are on some disability by retirement! Ack! Didn't realize that. She said it was from the actual flying--the vibration. Thought I'd mention it...

In the military, it is not just the vibration. It is also the extremely heavy IHADSS helmet and, while deployed, the heavy bulletproof chest plate worn for protection, both of which put lots of weight on the spine.

My dh has been a military pilot for quite some time now. They're cutting 60% of pilots for his aircraft right now so the civilian world is going to have a lot of applicants soon or maybe even now. If he wants to fly rotars the oil field is a decent paying job and shouldn't be too hard to get hired. My dad worked oil field and lots of them had their own pilots so there's plenty of opportunity in Texas, Louisiana and Alabama. It isn't hard to get your fixed wings licensed from your rotar.

My dh has been a military pilot for quite some time now. They're cutting 60% of pilots for his aircraft right now so the civilian world is going to have a lot of applicants soon or maybe even now. If he wants to fly rotars the oil field is a decent paying job and shouldn't be too hard to get hired. My dad worked oil field and lots of them had their own pilots so there's plenty of opportunity in Texas, Louisiana and Alabama. It isn't hard to get your fixed wings licensed from your rotar.

Whoa! Are they phasing out his aircraft? That is a lot of pilots to chop! What does he fly?

Quick answer- dh went into the military after college. Flew f-18's. went directly to majors after 11 years in military. We were told at that time the wait would be 5 years till captain and we'd be making the big bucks! 12 years later, through 9/11 and bankruptcy, he is still a widebody first officer. The money is pretty good, but no where near what we should have been making. The industry pay grade is at 1980's levels compared to other industries.

He went back in to the military reserves to recapture retirement benefits, as our benefits have been unstable. He will finally get to retire with his 20 in 3 years!

Long story short, it has been an interesting ride and all we've known. However, we are blessed. We have a strong marriage, and I am a strong woman. a lot of pilots marriages end in divorce. Lots of time away from home, etc

ETA that he works at major airline AND military as pilots for both.

My husband flies the 767.

He went through a two year college program which was the non military option 20 plus years ago. Now it would be a four year college program or military.

He does not want our children going into the field. It has become very unstable. Since 9/11 he has been laid off twice, had his current employer go through corporate bankruptcy and as a result the pilots took a big pay cut.

Pay is not good. When you start at an airline you can expect to make 28-32k a year. Some airlines double the second year some go up slowly. If your company lays you off or goes out of business and you move to another airline you start at the bottom again. It doesn't matter how experienced you are. Everything is seniority based including promotion to captain. Pay is essentially stuck where it was in the 1980's. The days of pensions are gone as well. You also need to be prepared to either live in expensive cities or commute to work and have a crash pad with countless other people.

Most pilots would tell you they are overworked and underpaid. My husband is away from us 2/3 of the time. With all that said he loves to fly.

Not sure if I answered all your questions. Ill look back at the original post.

I haven't had time to read all the responses.

I went to the University of North Dakota, which has one of the best aero space programs in the country and very reasonable tuition. I know several commercial pilots that I attended college with, as well as several air traffic controllers, including my brother in law. There were aviation majors there from all 50 states when I was attending. I have a close friend who changed his major to airport management, but still earned his pilot's license. He now teaches aviation in a high school vocational Ed program and loves it.

My BIL who is an air traffic controller also earned his pilot's license while working on his ATC degree.

If he wants to have a traditional college experience and pursue aviation, this would be a great option. I know that all of the grads I knew were hired by airlines right out of college, there is a lot of recruiting going on there.

I saw a few mention getting their pilots license and going that route to become a pilot. Those days are over if you want to fly for a airline. Now you must have a 4 year degree or military equivalent. A few airlines don't require it yet but will soon. My dh has a two year degree in aviation and may be forced to spend 30k to get his 4 year. If he looses his job again he will likely be unable to find work without it in a few years. It's unfortunate because we can't afford it, it won't get him more money and we have kids heading to college in 8 years.

I will say this - what has happened to pilots is a shame. Seriously, these people hold thousands of lives in their hands on a regular basis. And the fact that they are so undervalued is really sad. Seriously. There is going to be a high need for new pilots soon, as so many are about to reach the mandatory retirement age, and maybe that will change things slightly, but who knows. In any case, I do think a lot of people burn out after a time of doing it. My husband's been doing it almost 20 years, and he now considers it his hobby. He doesn't want to fly for a living, but he wouldn't mind flying for fun here and there.

I so agree to the poster who said what has happened to pilots is terrible. There is no single job that I can think of that holds the lives of so many in their hands at one time! Not the best brain surgeon in the world! However, it does seem like there is such a lack of respect for several jobs that used to be an elite position - thinking of the doctors/lawyers/pilots who undergo so much schooling/training to be where they are.

A few random questions come to mind (in no particular order):

1. Have you looked at starting salaries and job requirements?

2. How does ds plan to pay for flight training?

3. How does ds plan to pay for flight hours?

4. How does ds plan to become competitive in the aviation market (he will be competing with former military and other experienced pilots, what will set him apart from the crowd)?

5. What is his timeline for completion of his training?

6. Does ds have any medical issues that may be a factor in obtaining a medical certificate?

7. How does ds plan to build his flight hours to meet minimum requirements to apply for pilot jobs?

8. How does ds plan to get jet hours? multi-engine hours?

9. What is his long term backup plan should he lose his medical?

10. What is his backup plan should he not be able to get an aviation job?

11. What is his backup plan should he not be able to get paid enough money IF he gets an aviation job?

I want to chime in. Yes, it is good to have a 4 year degree. My husband has a degree--not in any aviation field though. For his current job, the first round of screening was 4 year degree or not. It doesn't matter (too much) if the degree is in basket weaving--just get a degree. Off my soapbox....

I so agree to the poster who said what has happened to pilots is terrible. There is no single job that I can think of that holds the lives of so many in their hands at one time!

Except perhaps the air traffic controller!

(I have a brother who is ATC, and a sister and brother who are pilots at a legacy airline. It's a running joke between them who has the more important job. I have a sister who is a flight attendant, who thinks they're all nuts and that since she works with both the pilots AND the passengers, HERS is the most challenging job! I'm inclined to agree with her LOL.)

I feel for my brother, the pilot. He's the primary breadwinner and his career has stagnated. It won't ever get better, and he's considering flying for an overseas airline. He has friends who have made the move, and are making what they used to at the legacy carrier. But what an ugly commute. Not a good idea for families with kids still at home.

My sisters have been more easily able to ride out the contract changes because their income is supplementary. When my pilot sister was laid off from her legacy airline, she was able to find a job at a smaller airline - so while not unemployed, she did take a significant pay cut. When she eventually got re-called to her original airline, her pay increased but was restored to its post-9/11 concessionary contract. She's not B-scale, but she'll never see the A-scale that they used to earn.

Two of my sons are working on private licenses, and a third hopes to start ground school in the next year. My siblings are encouraging them to keep it at the hobby level, but they know that flying is just in some people's blood. Where there is passion, there's a way. They just want the kids to know it's going to be a super-competitive market and that the downline (pensions, benefits) might not be worth the investment. So to not go in blind. One of my sons is considering helicopters, figuring there's a better market for that. This thread encouraged him, and also gave us both insight as to what he's in for physically. I'm grateful for the input so he, too, doesn't go in completely blind.