Menu

If you were asked to recommend just one parenting book...

I prefer a positive, relationship based approach and would recommend Christlike Parenting by Latham. I've read a ton of parenting books and not seen anything as good. The author is clearly a Christian but the approach is behavioral/relational at its base and good for anyone. The closest secular book I can think of that recommends a similar approach is All Children Flourishing by Glasser. That one is good too but the Latham book is easier to put in place and just seems more practical.

I've read the How To Talk book, also Sibling Rivalry from the same authors. And I read the PET book. I get it. I really do. But something about the format of those books. The comics, the workbook style stuff....just couldn't like it. I like Raising A Son and Raising a Daughter. You Are Your Child's First Teacher. 7 Habits of Highly Effective Families. The No Cry books and the Dr Sears books. The Baby Whisperer is good for tiny ones.

I really like The Conscious Parent and Respectful Parents Respectful Kids.

1, 2, 3 Magic by Thomas Phelan. (My 16 year old son came to me recently and asked if I still had the book. When I said "yes" and asked why, he said he wanted to make sure he had it for when he has children one day. To this day, if my 16 and 14 yos are getting too rowdy, all I have to do is hold up one finger and they instantly stop.)

Toilet Training in Less Than a Day by Nathan Azrin.

I know this is two books, but they both saved my sanity ;) .