Menu

Cutting a toxic family member out of your life

Kathryn

Please don't quote.

I know some of you have done this. How do you do it when they are local and have been a big part of your kids' lives? We've known for years that my mother should not be in our lives. Everyone who's heard 1/4 of what she's done to me/us has asked incredulously why I still speak to her. It was for the kids (and a small part being scared to cut my own mother out of my life, no matter how horrible she is). Her special brand of crazy had never involved the children and it now has. We cannot have someone in our lives who is a threat to our children's safety/stability. She is making insane accusations against me. So far, I've refused to talk to her. She's sent me a crazy email and said how she's going to contact someone about me if I don't get help. So, any advice here?

It was before we had kids, but DH told his parents never to contact him again. He didn't change any of our numbers. They never tried to contact him, which surprised me. His brother did not say it as unequivocally, and they sort of stalked him for a while. They went so far as to borrow someone's car to drive by his house. That stopped after he called the police for a suspicious vehicle and they got pulled over on his street, lol. (You have to laugh or you'll cry...) It has been 11 blissful years without their crazy!

Our kids know his parents are alive but that they are not nice people and are not safe to be around.

I would save whatever you have by way of threats from her, then block her email and phone number. Do you have a counselor you can talk to?

I don't know any specifics, so I don't know if she's just crazy or violent and crazy--if you feel unsafe, by all means call the police. An attorney can advise you on stay away orders, etc.

I agree with keeping documentation in case she does call some authority to try and make it seem you're the problem. consider writing a letter to her - keeping a copy for your records if she contacts someone, stating you are finding it problematic to have her in your life and need to end contact - you'll let her know if you change your mind. don't go into detail about why - it's the adage of don't try and teach a pig to sing, it wastes your time and annoys the pig. telling her why is likely to just inflame things. you don't have to send it - but keep it for your records. the only explanation you need go into is with your children and why they aren't seeing her in the future. be truthful in that there are things you and grandma have big disagreements on, and one of them is how she treats them and you want them to be safe. (physically, emotionally, and mentally - but they probably aren't old enough to understand the nuances of those.) best wishes. it's not fun - but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

My toxic relations are a different brand of special from yours based on what you're saying.

If I had someone, related or not, behaving in a threatening manner I would do the following:

1) put physical distance between us refusing to go where I know they will be or stay if they show up

2) once I had informed them I wanted them to leave us alone I would refuse to engage. (This could be said very matter of factly, "I feel it is the best interest of my family to not have contact with you at this time." or even sent in a certified letter for proof if you thought you might need evidence for legal reasons)

3) I would keep documentation of every attempt the other party made to force contact, any written communication or voicemails, and make sure I noted anything said and who witnessed it.

I would brace myself and be prepared to look like the bad guy. I would also note who gives you hell for it and make sure to cut a wide path around them as much as possible. (This part I do understand)

((((Hugs))))

Edited for typo

Quietly put together documentation not only of her crazy accusations, but of any and all previous erratic behavior. Keep it on hand in case DCFS shows up at your door.

Do not have it out with her. You have two options. One is to inform her what you are doing and why. You might choose to do this in an email. Keep it extremely brief. Do not mention her concerns about you. Only mention your concerns about her. Keep it brief and unemotional.

Your other option is to simply fade out of view. Don't respond to any contact from her. Change your number and your email address if need be. Fading from view without making any declarations is often the easiest as well as the safest way to do this.

Would you recommend emailing back to tell her again not to contact us and refuting her allegations? Or just continue to ignore? DH is concerned that if we ignore and she contacts someone, it will look bad that we didn't tell her to stop or deny her accusations. But, then we also don't want to give in to the crazy.

I don't know. It depends on the allegations and how crazy she actually is. If it's bad enough, you may want to get an attorney to send a cease and desist letter and mention that you will pursue any and all civil remedies including but not limited to libel/slander charges if she persists in making false allegations.

Yes do tell her to not contact you again. I recently had to do this with FIL. He is his own special brand of crazy and he was Facebook stalking me...ugh!

We have also recently had CPS called because of custody issues with 3 of our nieces and we did make sure the house was well stocked and tidy (which it almost always is anyway) CPS recognized it was more of a "we are going back to court soon so I want to get them in trouble somehow before our court date" kind of situation and it never went past a phone interview.

Crappy relatives are the pits!

Hoping for a smooth resolution!

wow, I'm so sorry, Kathryn.

I would brace for a CPS visit, have my house clean, maybe take the kids in for a well-child check-up. I would send a notice to not contact you again and send it return receipt so you have proof you sent it, and keep a copy of what you sent. Document everything, save any emails she sends you and any voice messages. I wouldn't explain why or try to defend yourself, you can't fix crazy and she will just escalate things. Don't have anymore physical contact or contact through a relative...such as telling personal stuff to relative who might pass info on to your mom. This way, when CPS does show up, you can truthfully say that your mom can have no valid opinion or knowledge of the state of your house/ the manner the kids are kept/ etc. because she has not been inside your house in a year or seen the kids in 6 months..... Also find out the steps needed for harassment charges or for a restraining order so you can begin to put your ducks in a row in case you need it later.

I would not send her an email or letter to defend yourself, it will just become fuel that she will pass around, or take excerpts from to horrify friends or relatives about how bad/mean/crazy you are.

so sorry you are going through this. I do believe, firmly in protecting your own mental/ emotional health and that of your kids. Just because someone is related to you does not give them the right to abuse you.

I might be the lone dissenter on telling her to stop contacting. I'd brace for CPS visiting but also try a calming email or call if at all possible. Even if you know she's nuts and you're angry, just try saying 'thanks for your concern, I will be thinking about your words' or something like that. It is amazing what a non-confessional softening statement can do to deter the nuclear option with a crazy person. It may save you some hassle.

Sorry!

As others said, document, document, document. Keep a copy of any email or letter she sends. Get an answer machine and caller id, do not answer when she calls but keep any messages she leaves. Do not engage her with the exception of a certified letter telling her not to contact you again. I do like the idea of talking with the police. This is harassment. I also like the idea of talking with a lawyer. Do it before she acts on her threats. It will look better to have the paperwork in place before anything happens. It sends the message you feel threatened by this person and are trying to stop things before they get worse.

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

I've done this with a non-local family member (moving 800 miles away was a blessing!). Be prepared for them to fight dirty, in the most painful and surprising ways. (Be prepared for the tables to turn on you and the rest of the family to think that you are the crazy one and cut you off.) Don't back down, don't give them an inch, because they'll take it as a sign that you're not 100% serious and ramp up their efforts.

Law enforcement was never involved in my case, so I can't give practical advice about talking to police or preparing for a CPS visit. I'm all ears, though! You never know when they'll get an attack of the crazies.

One thing I have going for me is that I have state-paid therapists in my home for my son for 30 hours a week who have always gushed about what wonderful parents we are. Also, his OT, who weve been seeing for almost three years, has witnessed MANY of DS's violent tantrums and how calmly I deal with them and always complimented me as well.

As far as family to be isolated from, there's her brother that I don't particularly care about one way or the other, and her very elderly parents. While I love my grandparents, I'm not particularly worried about them turning against me either. I think they've long suspected her issues. I know she must have called them with her accusations, because they emailed me to check how I was doing--not the day after the miscarriage, but the day after my mom went crazy on me. I called them and they asked all kinds of questions and expressed how happy they were that I sounded so well. And if she somehow convinced them of something, I will e happy for the many years I had with them and not lament the few remaining years they may have left.

Oh, I also have emails that she randomly sent me about what a great mother she thinks I am and how well I handle my son. And our former marriage counselor who recommended we cut her out of our lives immediately and never speak to her again. He was absolutely appalled at the things she had done.

Quietly put together documentation not only of her crazy accusations, but of any and all previous erratic behavior. Keep it on hand in case DCFS shows up at your door.

Do not have it out with her. You have two options. One is to inform her what you are doing and why. You might choose to do this in an email. Keep it extremely brief. Do not mention her concerns about you. Only mention your concerns about her. Keep it brief and unemotional.

Your other option is to simply fade out of view. Don't respond to any contact from her. Change your number and your email address if need be. Fading from view without making any declarations is often the easiest as well as the safest way to do this.

Precisely. I have BTDT twice. One has made zero effort to contact me - narcissist. Other, psychotic - could it possibly be anything less? Sent a disgusting and harassing email to me in November. A copy of it is with my doctor in case I should need it, and you'd better believe I will whip it out in a heartbeat. Has made very few attempts to contact - phone numbers have not been changed, but locks have.

If we lived in the same town? Seriously I'd consider moving. It's that bad.

Would you recommend emailing back to tell her again not to contact us and refuting her allegations?

I would refute incorrect allegations with factual information (leaving emotion out of it).

I would not let them go unchallenged, in order to create my paper trail, should it be needed. I would view it as I would any set of interactions between individuals with (in this case) conflicting interests. I would keep a file and and respond to any untruths. Then - if no improvement occurred - I would probably state that the tension level has grown to the point that you would feel more comfortable if you gave it a bit of time to gain some perspective (nothing like, "I never want to see you again, or anything mean or provocative - not that you sound as if you would do this). Remember your OBJECTIVE. Your objective is to gain a low-stress transition to seeing each other less until, hopefully, changes come - not to burn bridges or incite retaliation.

Just my two cents.

• 2 weeks later...

Update. We took the ignore route, though when she continued to email and text and call, DH texted her that she needed to stop attempting to contact me and give me space.

So, yesterday I took the kids to the library for younger DS's story time. While I am in the story time room with younger DS, my older son sits out in the main part of the library with his ABA therapist. His therapist said she looked up and my mom was standing there staring at them. She didn't know what to do and told DS to say hi. He freaked out and hid under the table. Then, my mom sat down at their table and his therapist tried to get him to come out and do his work. He said he had to go to the bathroom and ran to get me. Therapist then asks her how she is and she stutters and stumbles over her words. Then, her friend came up and said "you found them!" and when she turned around to answer her, his therapist ran off too. There is a door off of the story time room that exits the library instead of having to go back in the main part. We exited that way and went to the car. She came out of the main library door and was going after us. The therapist buckled up DS while I got in and put the car in reverse to get out of there fast (I was sure she was planning on standing behind the car and blocking us in--that's how she operates). So, we got out of there without confrontation. Notes on that: she had absolutely no reason to be at this library, she lives in a different county. Also, she did not drive herself there, her car wasn't in the parking lot.

So, if that wasn't odd enough in itself, his therapist called me about 15 minutes after she got off and said that my mom tried to friend request her on Facebook. And if that wasn't weird enough, an hour later, her boss called me and said if we needed anything to let her know and that my mom had tried THREE times already to friend request the therapist. THEN, this morning, the therapist told me she's STILL doing it this morning. She's not messaging her, just repeatedly sending her friend requests (which, even if all this weren't going on, she knows that it is against company policy for the therapists to social network with the families).

DH texted her an hour ago telling her she needs to stop attempting to contact his therapist, that she's crossing inappropriate boundaries, and that while we love her, she is violating his request to give us space, that she can't control this situation as she's tried to control our lives, lie and create drama for years, and to please respect our wishes, and take some time out for self reflection and professional help if needed. Not sure how that's going to go over.

I am so sorry you are going through this! Just so you don't feel alone in this craziness, that sounds exactly like something my mother would do. For safety reasons, we had to cut off all contact with her but she still drives by our house & shows up at places she know my kids will be (but only if she knows that I will not be there). She lives an hour away from us but still stalks us like a crazy person. So much so that I have had to file a police report against her. She has no idea that she is just reinforcing my reasons of WHY we don't have any contact with her.

You need to keep a record of all this just in case things escalate. But hopefully she will get the hint & back off!

No, don't send an email. Send a certified letter with RRR. Keep it business like and simple

As of the date of this correspondence you are hereby ordered to cease and desist all contact in person, telephonic, and electronic with anyone living in my home including but not limited to my spouse and my children. Please refer all future correspondences to my attorney.

Sign and date.

That isn't just crossing boundaries. That is stalking. The therapist should take out a restraining order. And if your son has reason to be afraid of her, as it appears that he is, perhaps you should too.

I agree. If you have not already contacted the police or an attorney I do believe you have arrived at the time when you need to.

This is beyond just CYA in case she makes allegations; this is keeping you safe because that behavior is way over the line of appropriate.

I am so sorry. I wonder if you have a friend who is an attorney who could write a letter on your behalf asking for no contact. I wonder how much something like that would cost if you don't have a friend who is an attorney . . . just thinking perhaps something like that might get the point across more effectively than you sending an email or letter. It also brings in a third party.

You can tell the therapist to leave the friend request unanswered and she won't be able to send new ones.

Therapist or her office needs to send letter on her behalf. You don't have standing.

Holy unhinged Batman.

If you decide to pursue a stay away order, your therapist's testimony will help. Ask the office to send you the issues with MIL in writing to keep in your document the crazy file.

The question to ask is how to keep you and your children safe. What is the best path to causing her to simmer down without compromising what you know be essential for your safety?

Will legal escalation blow this sky-high?

If you do not do something to legally protect yourself, will you regret it?

See a therapist ASAP, preferably one you know, someone who may be familiar with the history. This is less for therapy and more for professional documentation of each and every ridiculous incident.

You can consider legal channels. However, a restraining order is not likely to be enforced long-term without being able to show a real threat. If you reveal her threats in a court of law, will that cause results in your own life and that of your family from the law? (NOT implying in any way that you are doing anything illegal or wrong. Rather, will your mother's "concerns" be deemed credible enough for an investigation of some sort?)

If your mother presents a real, physical threat and you fear for the safety of your children, then legal channels may be the only proper option. Do not minimize this risk if there is a real danger. Bottom line--if the threat is real, then you must seek help and accept the scrutiny that comes with it. In the long run, that scrutiny may help you.

OR if you think that the physical threat is minimal, then go with the route of silence and ignoring and wait for the tantrum to end.

Now that she has found you and you have run away from her physically in public, my guess is that this will escalate further. I don't think you had any other option, unfortunately. That's why I strongly recommend getting back in touch with that therapist ASAP.

Also ask the others involved to document obsessively.

I don't fear violence on her part. I think the "danger" is in her possibly making accusations to police or CPS, and my fear there is in my autistic son's different version of reality (like, if someone taps him on the shoulder, he accuses them of punching him) and what he would mistakenly say if questioned by someone who wasn't well-versed in working with someone like him or if he wasn't allowed to have a therapist with him. He'd probably refuse to speak at all though, if he weren't allowed to have someone familiar with him. So, my fear here, is a disruption to my family. DS's behavior has been understandably awful since yesterday and he keeps asking why she was there and why she didn't drive her own car there, etc. but, hey, he did make a connection to his history reading (last week was Roman warfare). When we got home from the library and locked the door, and said "it's like we're under siege." I don't know what to tell him besides she loves us very much, but she's confused right now and has made some very hurtful accusations and that we can't be around her right now.

The way to combat a DCFS threat is with clear documentation of the child's well-being, especially by mandated reporters.

Take your child to a doctor for a physical. See if the therapist can talk asap today or tomorrow. Also you can show that your child has been with his therapists in recent weeks--have documentation of those visits and what occurred during those visits updated and easily accessible.

If there is an investigation and your son is questioned do not hinder the worker or in any way try to "warn" her of his tendency to exaggeration. Such a warning will give her a concern to fish for. Rather, agree to the interview in the presence of a witness or camera and calmly show her documentation of your son's condition. When you show the documentation, present it as you being cooperative and helpful. It is okay for you to express concern about her ability to question him due to his condition, as long as you do so in a cooperative and submissive fashion. She needs to hear your absolute willingness to show her that your child is unharmed while also understanding that his special needs present a concern she should be aware of.

After you have shown that your son is unharmed and your home is clean and there is food in the frig, you can tell her that your mother is mentally ill and has made threats against the safety of you and your children. You can also freely offer the contact information of the other professionals involved for verification.

If you are worried about her involving CPS or the police you need to be proactive and do it yourself. You need to take legal actions to keep her out of your lives because she clearly doesn't understand that you don't want her in it or she's just simply not respecting your wishes. You have plenty of cause for a restraining order and you have the therapist as a witness to her harassment. I would start by reporting the incident at the library to the police so its on record and continue to report things she does. So if she does contact CPS, it will already be in the system that she has been causing you trouble

I would file a police report with the library and Facebook stalking incidents. See if the therapist will go with you or give an affidavit. If anything escalates - either towards your immediate family or towards your therapist - you will have already begun a record of proactive interactions with the authorities.

I am sorry anyone has to deal with things like this.

That library episode is scary. She is traumatizing you and your children. The fact that she tried running out of the library after you makes her sound dangerous. Personally, I would get advice from an attorney at this point and find out the steps to document these types of episodes with the police.

She may not sound dangerous to you because she is your mother and you have experienced lots of craziness from her previously. But you need to know that to others (well, at least to me) this sounds like your family could be in danger from her. At the very least, she is causing your children mental anxiety and pain. And the continued pursuit of the therapist on Facebook reinforces her bizarre stalker tendencies.

I would definitely cut things off now. And don't think that you can reason with her. As one of my therapists used to say, "Don't try reasoning with crazy. It doesn't work." Keep your responses short and to the point. Being a broken record isn't bad. "I can't talk to you. Don't call again. I'm hanging up the phone."

Tell your children that her brain isn't working right and that they can't be with her for now. And repeat that too. As they get older, you can say more.

And keep a log with everything that is going on. List when the incident occurred and who was present.

I agree with consulting an attorney. I don't know if there is enough to get a restraining order. (which doesn't do much good anyway.) document, document, document. you think she's not dangerous because she's never been physically dangerous in the past. there is one huge difference happening now. you are not playing her games. you have asked "for space" and have cut contact. she has already proven she will not accept that and has hunted you down. the most dangerous time when severing an abusive relationship is when you end things, because they have no control. you don't know what she will do - but consider she may do something far worse than the worst you can imagine her doing. do file a stalking complaint with the police, so at least there will be a record.

after the library incident, which thankfully had a witness not related to you, it is time to contact the local police.

i would file a restraining order.

i would also do the "well child" documenting with your pediatrician, and have the therapist give you an updated report on his current state, and on the state he was in after the visit from his grandmother at the library.

and i'd be spending my time on realtytrac.com, dreaming of where i might move to...

:grouphug:

ann

The thing about Narcissists -- Narcissistic Personality Disorder -- is that they can turn on the charm and trick people big time.So you have every reason to be concerned about CPS.

We moved away from my NPD parents. 3,000 beautiful miles away. I have the opposite type from you. I have the very cold, ignoring type. It used to be so sad for me because I deeply wanted their attention. Now, I'm like, "Ignore away you nuts! I don't want to be bothered anymore!"

Moving and disappearing is a valid plan for dealing with someone as crazy as this woman.

Take care of yourself,

Alley

Find the non-emergency number for your local police or sheriff's department and call. Explain what is going on. Chances are they will arrange to file a report about the stalking incident, and at the very least they will tell you what your rights are and what the law is in your area. God forbid, should something happen, you want to have the name of an officer you've already spoken to. Tell the therapist you're filing a police report about what happened the other day and encourage her to tell the police what's going on (in case she confuses privacy violations with police business).

oh no, that sounds like a really scary incident. I agree with everyone else that you need to document and try to file a report. If they will not do a restraining order, you could look into a charge of harassment which I have heard has different criteria. I'm so sorry your little boy was scared.

Document!! We have threatening voicemails and paper copies of emails that are six years old from my MIL in our safe. When we cut her off, she immediately got an attorney and tried to file for grandparents visitation rights. We made sure we had a current physical for him, and kept our house really spotless just in case she called CPS (which she threatened to do multiple times). Make sure your will has whatever contact/lack of contact that you want. Block her number, or better yet, change yours. Ugh, dealing with crazy parents should not be in the job description of children :/.