Menu

WM/Costco/Target/Sam's/et.al

Dad 4 Boys

First, it's not a "bad rap" if the accusation is true.

For what it's worth, my reasons for avoiding Walmart/Sam's are not primarily about those particular issues. I was put off by a lot of Walmart's other business practices after doing quite a bit of research.

My own family relies quite a bit on ratings from the Human Rights Campaign in choosing where to spend our dollars. While Target is far from perfect, they have consistently earned a higher rating in the HRC's buying guide than Walmart. And Costco does very well in those ratings. We don't shop Costco, because we have determined that paying the membership fee isn't worth it for our family, but I hear/read over all very positive things about their business practices.

When possible, I avoid buying individual items that I know are problematic. However, I don't think there's any mainstream retailer in which you wouldn't find lots of made in China products on the shelves.

I follow HRC quite a bit too. Target isn't perfect and I probably write 25 letters a year complaining about what I think are their worst mistakes but Target hasn't gotten caught doing SEVERAL of the more hideous business practices Walmart does on a daily basis.

Costco over Sam's isn't just the Walmart issue either. That corporation has deliberately chosen to compensate its employees much differently than Sam's.

Frankly there's an agenda afoot. At least in the case of WalMart, groups are retaliating for its non-union status. Nothing WalMart does will ever be good enough until it welcomes unions with open arms. Everything imperfect that WalMart does will be treated like the worst crime against humanity, whether or not it's a normal business practice in the industry. That's why I will go to WalMart first when I want something those stores sell.

Business practices and how they treat employees are huge factors for us. Costco in particular pays a living wage and offers health insurance. Also no comparison to how they treat injured employees. Anyway, it's much more than just MIC products.

For me it's also about the experience I get when shopping. At Target and Costco they consistently have the shelves fully stocked, helpful employees, lines move quickly, stores are clean etc. At Walmart that is not the experience I get...ever. They never have what I'm looking for, the store is always dirty looking, the line has 50 people on it and one super slower checker, you can not find an employee to help you find anything. If I am going to spend our hard earned money somewhere I want a pleasant experience while doing it!

It always seems to me that a lot of the products I get at Walmart are just poorer quality than things I buy at Target or other places. I thought I read a while back that this is because Walmart buys what's left over after other stores have made their buys of a product. If I understand this correctly, say a batch of t-shirts are made by some manufacturer. A store like Macy's will get first pick and the best of these shirts will go to Macy's. Then Target will get their order from the remainder (maybe shirts that are slightly off-color or something), and Walmart will buy up whatever is left, and this is where the cheap, poor quality comes from. I could be way off base, though. It has just been my experience, especially with clothing, to the point that I will not buy clothing at Walmart anymore. Even my kids have noticed. They'll get a toy or tinket at Walmart that invariably breaks within the first couple of uses, and they say, "What do you expect? It came from Walmart."

It always seems to me that a lot of the products I get at Walmart are just poorer quality than things I buy at Target or other places. I thought I read a while back that this is because Walmart buys what's left over after other stores have made their buys of a product. If I understand this correctly, say a batch of t-shirts are made by some manufacturer. A store like Macy's will get first pick and the best of these shirts will go to Macy's. Then Target will get their order from the remainder (maybe shirts that are slightly off-color or something), and Walmart will buy up whatever is left, and this is where the cheap, poor quality comes from. I could be way off base, though. It has just been my experience, especially with clothing, to the point that I will not buy clothing at Walmart anymore. Even my kids have noticed. They'll get a toy or tinket at Walmart that invariably breaks within the first couple of uses, and they say, "What do you expect? It came from Walmart."

That's interesting. I would've thought that Walmart, being as big as they are and needing to stock so many stores, would have been at the top of the list or at least near the top. Now maybe the specs they give the manufacturers are such that the products just aren't very durable.

I don't think we buy much in the way of clothing at WM. We shop more at Kohl's. I buy Wrangler jeans at Target. They are quite inexpensive and seem to be fairly durable.

I don't like Target because it's more expensive for the same general type of stuff, and the bright red everywhere is offensive to my eyes. I just hate going in there. As for clothes and stuff, I don't like the style of most of the items sold at any of those stores, so I don't buy them. At Target I have never found anything I liked - even when a friend gave me a $50 gift card and insisted it must be spent on myself. At WalMart it is closer to my style, but the necklines tend to be too low for my liking. I will buy some of my kids' everyday stuff (like leggings and underwear) there. I've never had any problem with things not lasting.

In our area, the WM managers are positively evil. They take employer abuse to new heights and with unemployment rates in the county hovering at 20%, people can't afford to quit. They take advantage of it. Having been personally, ridiculously, verbally abused at the customer service counter for something that was blatantly their fault, I just can't bring myself to spend money in there.

I have no doubt that the other retailers are likely no better, well, in terms of large corporations. I just do not have personal experience that corroborates it. So, when I'm in the city, I do shop at Target occasionally. I also pick up some organic items from Meijer, a Midwestern company, that I can't get locally.

I never pay dues for something like Costco so I have no idea what they are about. However, there is no way these kinds of places would be cheaper, in terms of groceries, than my local Mennonite Bulk Foods store. For stationary products, we have Staples rewards card and end up getting absolute steals on products this way. I make my own laundry detergent and household cleaners, therefore, I'm not certain what I'd buy in a place like Costco.

I do prefer, as much as possible, to purchase from local mom and pop places when I can. I use the local hardware store all.the.time. They are the nicest people and they do the very best they can by their employees. The customer service can't be beat either!

Faith

I know this is a very small niche product, but Walmart carries the best plastic wiffle-type baseballs I've been able to find. They are heavier and made from a tougher plastic than most practice balls. My teenagers can still break them after a while, but it takes much longer than with others I've tried.

For me it's also about the experience I get when shopping. At Target and Costco they consistently have the shelves fully stocked, helpful employees, lines move quickly, stores are clean etc. At Walmart that is not the experience I get...ever. They never have what I'm looking for, the store is always dirty looking, the line has 50 people on it and one super slower checker, you can not find an employee to help you find anything. If I am going to spend our hard earned money somewhere I want a pleasant experience while doing it!

Don't start me on how dirty the bathrooms are in our local WM. I'd head to the woods and use a bush before using their bathrooms - totally gross and many times the toilets won't flush. Complaints fall on deaf ears. They know they are rural and have no major competition, so why bother is the management's attitude.

Faith

For me it's also about the experience I get when shopping. At Target and Costco they consistently have the shelves fully stocked, helpful employees, lines move quickly, stores are clean etc. At Walmart that is not the experience I get...ever.

Walmart has the most asinine in-store inventory system, and has apparently refused to invest in upgrades. When I worked there (until 2005), I worked on the sales floor. If we were out of a certain shampoo, I could get a little handheld computer thing and look up how many were supposed to be in the store. Total, not the number on the shelf and the number in the back. DH worked in the back room at Target (a job that actually didn't exist at Walmart) and their system knew how many items were out vs. still in the back.

If a customer needed something from the back, I would just go dig around in the back and take it out to them. That would have got DH fired - he had a back room supervisor to track those things, you couldn't just take out one item without updating the system.

Part of DH's job was to unpack boxes and shelve them in the back. WM didn't do that (because we only had unloaders, not back room stockers). Everything was left in boxes. Some boxes were all the same item, others were "break packs" from the distribution center, which was a box of random items that were all supposed to be from the same department. So if I was looking for a bottle of shampoo, and the shelf was empty but the computer said "2", I'd have to dig around all those break packs and try to find it. Usually, I never found it.

Plus, there was never enough room for all these unpacked boxes. Half the stuff was in locked trailers outside. But there's no way of telling what's inside and what's out in the trailers.

So if you're wondering why WM always seems to be out of everything, this is why. I'd like to think they'd made improvements over the years, but I read an article just yesterday that describes the exact same inventory conditions that I remember, so I doubt it.

Walmart has the most asinine in-store inventory system, and has apparently refused to invest in upgrades. When I worked there (until 2005), I worked on the sales floor. If we were out of a certain shampoo, I could get a little handheld computer thing and look up how many were supposed to be in the store. Total, not the number on the shelf and the number in the back. DH worked in the back room at Target (a job that actually didn't exist at Walmart) and their system knew how many items were out vs. still in the back.

If a customer needed something from the back, I would just go dig around in the back and take it out to them. That would have got DH fired - he had a back room supervisor to track those things, you couldn't just take out one item without updating the system.

Part of DH's job was to unpack boxes and shelve them in the back. WM didn't do that (because we only had unloaders, not back room stockers). Everything was left in boxes. Some boxes were all the same item, others were "break packs" from the distribution center, which was a box of random items that were all supposed to be from the same department. So if I was looking for a bottle of shampoo, and the shelf was empty but the computer said "2", I'd have to dig around all those break packs and try to find it. Usually, I never found it.

Plus, there was never enough room for all these unpacked boxes. Half the stuff was in locked trailers outside. But there's no way of telling what's inside and what's out in the trailers.

So if you're wondering why WM always seems to be out of everything, this is why. I'd like to think they'd made improvements over the years, but I read an article just yesterday that describes the exact same inventory conditions that I remember, so I doubt it.

I just read an article yesterday about this problem at Walmart. From the sound of things, it's not getting any better but rather worse.

I've never had any problem with not finding what I'm looking for at WalMart. Mine is actually really good that way. .... As for the bathrooms, I don't know what it is, but yeah, always gross. That is also true at certain other random stores such as JCPenney and Burlington Coat Factory. It makes no sense but it is very predictable.

That's interesting. I would've thought that Walmart, being as big as they are and needing to stock so many stores, would have been at the top of the list or at least near the top. Now maybe the specs they give the manufacturers are such that the products just aren't very durable.

I don't think we buy much in the way of clothing at WM. We shop more at Kohl's. I buy Wrangler jeans at Target. They are quite inexpensive and seem to be fairly durable.

I don't know that it's a seniority thing so much as a "buy as cheap as we can" thing.

Frankly there's an agenda afoot. At least in the case of WalMart, groups are retaliating for its non-union status. Nothing WalMart does will ever be good enough until it welcomes unions with open arms. Everything imperfect that WalMart does will be treated like the worst crime against humanity, whether or not it's a normal business practice in the industry. That's why I will go to WalMart first when I want something those stores sell.

Nope, not for me. I actually have mixed feelings about unions. I recognize the good they did historically, but I have concerns about the hold some unions have on certain industries.

It's entirely possible to not approve of Walmart without being a stooge for a union agenda.

For me it's totally a social thing. Walmart allows kids and local groups to fundraise at their stores and contributes a bit to local things. Target does not. I'll shop at Walmart and won't step foot in a Target. I have, actually, been to Target (twice) - just not our local one. I didn't buy anything either time. Their emphasis on RED got to me. I asked an employee (stocking things) where to find book covers and he took us all around the store before admitting he didn't know.

I like Walmart. I know students and adults employed at our local one and they have no complaints. Our store(s) - we have two - are stocked, clean, have enough cashiers that there's never a long line - and I haven't had issues with anything wearing out before its time (we don't buy much in clothes there though).

Target has a corporate policy of contributing 5% of its profits to community organizations. They also encourage their employees to volunteer.

IF Target does that here, I sure haven't heard about it from kids at school. Most local businesses contribute something - products, gift cards, whatever. I've yet to hear of anything from Target. Plus, their not allowing locals to fundraise affects me negatively. I like that our local stores (including Walmart) allow kids or local groups to do that. I can choose to contribute or not. YMMV.

Target does not sell items made by child labor. My uncle works at a textile company that was using child labor (I know, I know) and Target penalized them.

Costco has repeatedly made top employer lists by paying employees good wages, permitting unions and giving good benefits.

Walmart cannot say either of those things, I don't shop there.

Um, they put $4 million every week back into the community. They are semi-quiet about it. There is usually a billboard by customer service that shows who they are donating to in your community.

They actually give a higher % of their profits than Walmart. Walmart just has a huge $ amount they donate, but a smaller % of their profits. And in case you are wondering about their corporate philosophy, here it is.

I'll ask kids who do the fundraising stuff (for Student Council, FBLA, FFA, and other such groups + individuals who do service projects) on Tuesday when we go back to school. I care more about local than corporate. I know Walmart and our local grocery where I shop supports what I support. I see that in person and I've been told what they and some of the local manufacturing businesses donate. As of yet, not a single student has told me about getting anything from Target or being allowed to set up an event there. Perhaps they are just VERY quiet about it or maybe they choose to support other things I don't care about as much. Who knows? As we've seen on this thread and a few others, local stores can vary considerably.

IF Target does that here, I sure haven't heard about it from kids at school. Most local businesses contribute something - products, gift cards, whatever. I've yet to hear of anything from Target. Plus, their not allowing locals to fundraise affects me negatively. I like that our local stores (including Walmart) allow kids or local groups to do that. I can choose to contribute or not. YMMV.

That is Target's national policy. I somehow doubt that individual kids at a single school would necessarily be aware that Target contributed to their school's computer center or made a donation to a local hospital or provided volunteer labor for a charity event.

For what it's worth, I intensely dislike "fundraisers" (which are usually organized begging) at store entrances. I feel ambushed when I enter and again when I leave, and I find it extremely unpleasant. I know some national chains have opted not to allow any organizations to set up outside their doors, because allowing one group to do so makes it more difficult to disallow another, even if that second group expresses values that are not consistent with those of the store.

That is Target's national policy. I somehow doubt that individual kids at a single school would necessarily be aware that Target contributed to their school's computer center or made a donation to a local hospital or provided volunteer labor for a charity event.

For what it's worth, I intensely dislike "fundraisers" (which are usually organized begging) at store entrances. I feel ambushed when I enter and again when I leave, and I find it extremely unpleasant. I know some national chains have opted not to allow any organizations to set up outside their doors, because allowing one group to do so makes it more difficult to disallow another, even if that second group expresses values that are not consistent with those of the store.

And that's exactly why Target doesn't allow sales outside their doors for things like GS cookies, 4H stuff, etc. Lots and lots of people really hate it and they had numerous customer complaints. And they listened to those customers.

Up here, Walmart frequently has, "free puppies!" or kittens or whatever in addition to the hundreds of groups begging for money.

Our GS troop doesn't go there but I know some do and do quite well. I just wouldn't let DD particpate because I wouldn't want it to look like we are supporting any Walmart policies.

And that's exactly why Target doesn't allow sales outside their doors for things like GS cookies, 4H stuff, etc. Lots and lots of people really hate it and they had numerous customer complaints. And they listened to those customers.

Up here. Walmart frequently has, "free puppies!" or kittens or whatever in addition to the hundreds of groups begging for money.

Our GS troop doesn't go there but I know some do and do quite well. I just wouldn't let DD particpate because I wouldn't want it to look like we are supporting any Walmart policies.

At least the Girl Scouts are selling something worth having. I mean, I don't eat their cookies, but I usually buy a box or two of Thin Mints for my husband each year. What I really, really dislike is the groups just standing there collecting money (begging). Personally, I think kids ought to have to work for stuff, not just scavenge change from strangers. And, as a store customer, I have no way to verify that this group is legitimate. And the whole thing makes me uncomfortable.

So, several years ago, I put in place my own personal policy of not giving to or buying from any group standing outside a store. I buy my annual boxes of GS cookies from kids we know at church. I write checks to organizations I actually want to support and to reputable umbrella organizations. I participate in fundraisers at the register, like the kind where you can tack on a couple of dollars to your bill and have it go to local food banks and such. But I never, ever hand over a cent to groups loitering in front of stores.

:iagree:

Nope, not for me. I actually have mixed feelings about unions. I recognize the good they did historically, but I have concerns about the hold some unions have on certain industries.

It's entirely possible to not approve of Walmart without being a stooge for a union agenda.

:iagree: Personally, I believe that unions should be done away with. Now that there are standard federal and state laws re: minimum wages, safety practices, etc. Unions are outdated.

For me it's totally a social thing. Walmart allows kids and local groups to fundraise at their stores and contributes a bit to local things. Target does not. I'll shop at Walmart and won't step foot in a Target. I have, actually, been to Target (twice) - just not our local one. I didn't buy anything either time. Their emphasis on RED got to me. I asked an employee (stocking things) where to find book covers and he took us all around the store before admitting he didn't know.

I like Walmart. I know students and adults employed at our local one and they have no complaints. Our store(s) - we have two - are stocked, clean, have enough cashiers that there's never a long line - and I haven't had issues with anything wearing out before its time (we don't buy much in clothes there though).

Wow. You have just described probably the one and only Walmart like that. I have been in several. In several states. In two countries. They are all fairly nasty, IMO. One or two check-out lanes with about 40 people waiting to use them and just plain depressingly dingy looking. I do still go IF I have to (can't find what I'm looking for elsewhere) but that only happens a couple times per year.

For those living in certain areas, WalMart would be a big inconvenience to get to. Even if I wanted to shop at WalMart it would be well over 90 minutes driving roundtrip. So not worth it. I'm not a fan of their business practices and I personally know someone who was a victim of one of their lock ins without legally mandated overtime pay. That's disgusting. They also were selling imported products with dubious Made in the USA labels while running their very successful buy American ad campaign.

That said, I am not a big Target fan either though I will go there in a pinch. We buy most of the things you buy at those stores (small appliances, housewares, toys, clothing etc) used. When we can't find used, we try to support local businesses even when it costs more. While we aren't always able to do that (you try to find a locally owned shop selling training pants for toddlers) we do try.

For us, Costco is a large and locally owned business which offers some reasonable options. I support their labor practices. I know a lot of happy people who work there. We don't buy everything there but we do make a regular trip for a small list of items. They also have kickass deals on tickets, magazines and various electronics. Their return policy is STELLAR. They took back a gifted blender I just didn't use. They took back a steam cleaner that broke after a year even though I didn't have the box or all the attachments. They repeatedly and cheerfully fix and adjust my son's battered glasses. I feel comfortable buying things from them because I know I am not gambling my money on stuff that may become broken. And they don't treat you like a criminal when you are returning something. That said, I mostly avoid their meats and I always avoid the unsustainable seafood products. Nothing is perfect.

That is Target's national policy. ... For what it's worth, I intensely dislike "fundraisers" (which are usually organized begging) at store entrances. I feel ambushed when I enter and again when I leave, and I find it extremely unpleasant. I know some national chains have opted not to allow any organizations to set up outside their doors, because allowing one group to do so makes it more difficult to disallow another, even if that second group expresses values that are not consistent with those of the store.

And that's exactly why Target doesn't allow sales outside their doors for things like GS cookies, 4H stuff, etc. Lots and lots of people really hate it and they had numerous customer complaints. And they listened to those customers. Up here, Walmart frequently has, "free puppies!" or kittens or whatever in addition to the hundreds of groups begging for money. Our GS troop doesn't go there but I know some do and do quite well. I just wouldn't let DD particpate because I wouldn't want it to look like we are supporting any Walmart policies.

And there is no problem with people shopping where they wish based upon these policies. I LIKE seeing people working for what they are doing by selling things and other than the Salvation Army (a group I also like to support), I haven't seen anyone "just" asking for money. Around here, groups sell things to fund whatever it is they are funding (trips, general funding, new uniforms, or whatever) or some students choose service projects where they collect an extra can or box of food to donate to local food banks. Most of these I donate something to. Some I choose not to. For those who really can't stand these things - choose to shop elsewhere just like I choose to shop where I can support these things. Often - very often - I know many of the kids raising money. I like that about my town. ;)

Wow. You have just described probably the one and only Walmart like that. I have been in several. In several states. In two countries. They are all fairly nasty, IMO. One or two check-out lanes with about 40 people waiting to use them and just plain depressingly dingy looking. I do still go IF I have to (can't find what I'm looking for elsewhere) but that only happens a couple times per year.

I've been in Walmarts in close to every state in the nation (we've been to 49 of the 50, but I can't say we stopped at Walmart in all of the states) as we make them our stock up place when traveling and we tend to camp. There have been a few I've disliked - generally close to large cities. Most we've really liked. Only one stands out for long lines (one in Fishkill, NY or close to it). That one I'll never return to. There were long lines and the other customers in the line were rather pushy. But that one bad experience (and a couple other "crowded" experiences certainly won't change our plans. Most Walmarts we can get everything we need, fairly quickly, inexpensively, and they're easy to find (our rule of thumb is to follow the majority of cars off an exit - it usually works). We buy our Atlas from Walmart and all stores are listed in the back with what exit (or road) they are off of. Many campers use them.

There's more "anti" Walmart stuff on here than I see in real life, but I'll admit if we lived near the one in NY that left such a bad impression, I'd probably be among them. For most humans, their personal experiences dictate their feelings. I'm no exception. The vast, vast majority of our Walmart experiences around the nation have been positive. I've only been in Target twice - both negative. I have no need to go back. Couple my experiences, their RED, and their lack of allowing local fundraisers, why would I go back? Simply because people I know on the internet feel I should? Not good enough for me. Those of you who like them, support them. I'll support stores I like based upon my preferences and experiences. ;)

Personally, I think Walmart is responsible for the downward direction of the standard of living in this country and I won't give them so much as a single penny of my hard earned money. Their business practices are abysmal. They beat up their vendors, their merchandise is cheap, they purposely keep the bulk of their staff part time so they don't have to offer benefits, there have been numerous cases filed for illegal practices such as making employees clock out and then go clean up their aisles. I dealt with a lot of vendors that walmart used when I worked full time and they had some tales to tell along with friends who worked for them.

Costco, on the other hand, pays a living wage and has quality merchandise.

Target-I have never been a huge Target shopper so I can't really speak to it but my friends tell me their quality has declined over the past decade.

If you have not done so already you should watch The High Cost of Low Prices.

What's the issue with Target's red color? Really curious about that, I've never even given it a single thought or even noticed it very much.

Many people are affected by color; red really sort of hovers over you, makes things feel claustrophobic. The red bothers me somewhat, but it isn't why I don't go there. I just...don't like it. Or WM, either, for that matter. I hardly ever go to either one (FTR, the Target in my town allows GS and other groups to have tables in front for selling stuff).

What's the issue with Target's red color? Really curious about that, I've never even given it a single thought or even noticed it very much.

It's too intense for me. May be a sensory thing, I don't know. I'm not surprised that some others feel the same way. Whenever I'm in there I just want to get the heck out as fast as possible, and even seeing their ads sends a shiver up my spine.

I buy non-grocery items at Target (when I can) or Walmart (when I have to) because they are so much more expensive at the grocery stores. So, for those of you that don't to WM or Target, where do you buy things like toilet paper, trash bags, toothpaste, etc.?

Some personal items I buy at the health food store. Others I will grab at Walgreens when I'm on my way somewhere else. Toilet paper etc. is usually picked up at a grocery store because it isn't worth going to WalMart just for that. I agree that it's probably cheaper at WalMart, but WalMart is out of our way. When I take the cost of gas into consideration, it doesn't make sense to go there just to save a couple bucks. And time is always an issue as well.

yeah. I just don't have time to go to a bunch of different stores. So it's really whoever is closest and has most of what I need for me.

Sadly, this is why I'm stuck with Walmart. They are closest (except for one grocery store), and they are a Super Walmart, so I can get groceries and everything in one stop. But I really, really don't like WM, so I'm trying to work out ways to avoid it. Target is a good 30+ minute drive and Costco is almost an hour. We do have a CVS and a Walgreens super close, but I think they are more expensive, too. :-(

I like that Target sponsors free days at pricey local museums that I cannot afford the admission charges for.

https://corporate.target.com/corporate-responsibility/community-events

It has been my observation that there is a big element of classism in the anti-WalMart sentiment. I don't believe that Wal-Mart is really that much worse in its labor practices than Target, or any of the other "big box" stores. But because their customers tend to be less affluent than Target's, a LOT of people look down their noses at WM. Snobbery, pure and simple.

It has been my observation that there is a big element of classism in the anti-WalMart sentiment. I don't believe that Wal-Mart is really that much worse in its labor practices than Target, or any of the other "big box" stores. But because their customers tend to be less affluent than Target's, a LOT of people look down their noses at WM. Snobbery, pure and simple.

Yes, I do sense a bit of "you shop at WalMart? You must be skeevy." Not so much here as on other sites.

I buy non-grocery items at Target (when I can) or Walmart (when I have to) because they are so much more expensive at the grocery stores. So, for those of you that don't to WM or Target, where do you buy things like toilet paper, trash bags, toothpaste, etc.?

I am fortunate to live in an area where I have a fair amount of choices to shop in a reasonable distance.

Paper goods. toothpaste, trashbags, etc. I either buy at the supermarket or Costco. Sometimes CVS or Walgreens when they are having a sale.

I don't even know what to say about the classism and snobbery statement made by a pp. I can only speak for myself. My reasons for not shopping walmart are easily verified and well thought out and has nothing to do with being a snob or classist. I like a bargain as much as the next person but I also believe that one of the best ways to get a corporation to change their ways is to vote with your wallet.

I just don't enjoy the experience of shopping at Walmart. I don't know for sure that the people are ruder there, but at ours there are so many more people packed in. You can't move without bumping into people and unlike in the world outside of Walmart, it never seems to occur to someone to actually say excuse me when they've done so.

The bathroom situation is always bad. It seems like one of the two bathrooms in our store is always closed, and it's always the one you're actually near. Oh I guess there is also a family bathroom available, when an employee doesn't decide to jump in even when there's an actual family waiting to use it.

I've tried using coupons several times. I made the cashier aware I had them. But they inevitably forgot to apply them to my purchase. Asking them to apply them after forgetting usually results in hemming and hawing and finally agreement to do so but it would require ringing up every item in the cart all over again. And after you've been waiting in a not-long line, really, for 15 minutes surrounded by screaming kids and just a generally hot environment, there's usually no way you want them to ring up your entire cart again.

But I do own some items from Walmart and I am not ashamed of it. It's not snobbery, it's a real sense that I am not welcome as a consumer there. I'm not expecting stellar customer service at any department store, but the experience of shopping at Target for about the same amount of money (5% off all purchases when using the Target Debit card) is just on another level.

I'll ask kids who do the fundraising stuff (for Student Council, FBLA, FFA, and other such groups + individuals who do service projects) on Tuesday when we go back to school. I care more about local than corporate. I know Walmart and our local grocery where I shop supports what I support. I see that in person and I've been told what they and some of the local manufacturing businesses donate. As of yet, not a single student has told me about getting anything from Target or being allowed to set up an event there. Perhaps they are just VERY quiet about it or maybe they choose to support other things I don't care about as much. Who knows? As we've seen on this thread and a few others, local stores can vary considerably.

When I signed up for my Target Debit I was asked to designate a local school to receive 1% of the purchases I made. I picked the one down the street. School newsletters report the amount they receive from Target each year, so they definitely benefit local organizations.

I do totally agree that many people are snobby towards WalMart and Walmart customers (The People of WalMart blog is a good example of that classism) but I don't think that snobbery makes WalMart's business practices any less objectionable.

There are big box stores which do not operate with WalMart's more egregious violations. I know someone who was once locked in late night at WalMart after her shift was up, not allowed to leave until the work was done and then not paid for the time. I've never even heard someone accuse Target, Sears, KMart etc of that. Costco employees, unlike WalMart's employees, are not commonly on public assistance for healthcare (which I consider a tax payer subsidy of WalMart). Nor has Target opened stores until local businesses went under and then closed them so that customers now have no real choices but to drive to a more distant WalMart. Target is also cleaner than the 3 WalMarts I have ever stepped foot into which were all downright grimy. Don't get me wrong, I am not a fan of big national big box stores but I think WalMart has been especially influential in the realm of crappy practices. Cheap is expensive.

Again, please understand that some of us have researched this question. For example, this year, Walmart's rating from the HRC was (I think) 68/100. Target and Costco both earned 100/100. To be fair, Walmart's rating did come up a bit this past year after they made a few changes in their policies.

It's not snobbery in my case. It's reasoned choice based on information from reputable sources.

When I signed up for my Target Debit I was asked to designate a local school to receive 1% of the purchases I made. I picked the one down the street. School newsletters report the amount they receive from Target each year, so they definitely benefit local organizations.

I'd forgotten all about that, but I did the same thing!

I just went to and looked at the Human Rights Campaign's scores for Target and Walmart. I had never been to their website before, so I was surprised to see that the ratings are mostly based on health insurance coverage for domestic partners, diversity training for GBLT issues, etc. Is there any group out there that rates companies on a more general scale? One that addresses issues like unpaid overtime, etc? The way the HRC scores companies seems very lopsided to me, like as long as a company has diversity training, paying a poor wage won't hurt their score.

If there is something I am misunderstanding about the HRC scoring system, please fill me in.

Again, please understand that some of us have researched this question. For example, this year, Walmart's rating from the HRC was (I think) 68/100. Target and Costco both earned 100/100. To be fair, Walmart's rating did come up a bit this past year after they made a few changes in their policies.

It's not snobbery in my case. It's reasoned choice based on information from reputable sources.

You say reputable, I say biased. The watchdogs are being selective about whom they are watching and how closely. Their grading criteria are also biased. IMO it is sad that so many people are so easily influenced by groups with biased agendas.